Tim Paine

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tim Paine

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 2:14pm My previous comments could be taken to suggest that I'm some sort of puritan - far from it because I'm as broadminded as anybody. Rather it's from the experience of being the father of 3 loving daughters, one of whom was the victim of abusive behaviour from a male friend that caused her considerable distress at the time.

In essence, disrespect and abuse of women should be treated with the same opprobrium and disgust as racism.

For another perspective on this matter, the following article by Jessica O'Halloran in today's Australian answers the critics who consider this incident trivial and frivolous and believe that Paine deserves to stay in the Australian 1st Eleven:

"HOW HAS PAINE SUDDENLY BECOME VICTIM ?"

by Jessica O'Halloran

"Just like that, Tim Paine has somehow become the victim.

Paine, the guy that sent an unsolicited picture of his penis to a woman and she in turn complained, is the one Cricket Tasmania is saying we should be feeling sorry for.

Cricket Tasmania made it official with a press statement on Tuesday claiming Paine’s treatment by Cricket Australia had been appalling. But what is most “appalling” is both Cricket Tasmania and Cricket Australia’s handling of this complaint by a woman.

Elite honesty”? Try elite cover-up.

These cricket authorities have tried to convince us they are truly keen on fighting for the fairer sex, when in fact if an incident can destroy their Australian men’s team, they will absolutely protect him at all costs.

This despite the fact that the win-at-all-costs culture was supposedly dismissed after a thorough review into Sandpapergate.

Meanwhile the woman who was the subject of Paine’s sexting — the true victim — who complained in a letter to not only Cricket Tasmania, but Cricket Australia and also to the Human Rights Commission, has been smeared and shamed.

Since the original story was broken by the Herald Sun’s Stephen Drill, the theft charges lodged against her have been pushed aggressively into the light. She allegedly fraudulently obtained a $705 Cricket Tasmania junior and platinum membership, a $339 Hobart Hurricanes family membership, and stole $1942 in cash — and what does that have to do with it all? How does that absolve someone for sending an unsolicited picture of their genitalia?

What this narrative is really doing is deflecting from true issues in the Paine scandal, like the fact CA and Cricket Tasmania are yet to explain how their investigation started with a written complaint from a woman about receiving “unsolicited” images and ended with them being able to declare with absolute certainty that this was an exchange between two consenting adults.

Sure, the woman was not interviewed and didn’t co-operate with the investigation at the time, but really who would want to take on the Test captain?

Certainly not a receptionist in this case.

And while CA sent Paine’s mobile away for forensic testing, which returned no trace of the images or messages, how did they all come to the conclusion — which they now state as hard fact — this was between two consenting adults?

Have they just taken Paine’s word for it? Have they assumed her flirtations were an open invitation for nudity? And if the Test captain can just resign his job for private messages being made public, but can still play Test cricket, does this mean they‘re OK with 10 members of the Test team all sending lewd images to women privately, so long as they’re not the captain?

For all the noise made by Cricket Australia and their state bodies around gender equality, their handling of a genuinely concerning allegation of sexual harassment has been nothing but troubling.

This incident was covered up for three years. And now Paine could still be named in the Ashes team.

It feels like CA are asking Australia to turn a blind eye to the sordid past, and you really shouldn’t expect anything less, because that win-at-all-costs culture still seems to be alive and well.
"
Compelling read

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 2:37pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 2:28pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 2:14pm My previous comments could be taken to suggest that I'm some sort of puritan - far from it because I'm as broadminded as anybody. Rather it's from the experience of being the father of 3 loving daughters, one of whom was the victim of abusive behaviour from a male friend that caused her considerable distress at the time.

In essence, disrespect and abuse of women should be treated with the same opprobrium and disgust as racism.

For another perspective on this matter, the following article by Jessica O'Halloran in today's Australian answers the critics who consider this incident trivial and frivolous and believe that Paine deserves to stay in the Australian 1st Eleven:

by Jessica O'Halloran

Paine, the guy that sent an unsolicited picture of his penis to a woman and she in turn complained, is the one Cricket Tasmania is saying we should be feeling sorry for.

Cricket Tasmania made it official with a press statement on Tuesday claiming Paine’s treatment by Cricket Australia had been appalling. But what is most “appalling” is both Cricket Tasmania and Cricket Australia’s handling of this complaint by a woman.

These cricket authorities have tried to convince us they are truly keen on fighting for the fairer sex, when in fact if an incident can destroy their Australian men’s team, they will absolutely protect him at all costs.

This despite the fact that the win-at-all-costs culture was supposedly dismissed after a thorough review into Sandpapergate.

Meanwhile the woman who was the subject of Paine’s sexting — the true victim — who complained in a letter to not only Cricket Tasmania, but Cricket Australia and also to the Human Rights Commission, has been smeared and shamed.

Since the original story was broken by the Herald Sun’s Stephen Drill, the theft charges lodged against her have been pushed aggressively into the light. She allegedly fraudulently obtained a $705 Cricket Tasmania junior and platinum membership, a $339 Hobart Hurricanes family membership, and stole $1942 in cash — and what does that have to do with it all? How does that absolve someone for sending an unsolicited picture of their genitalia?

What this narrative is really doing is deflecting from true issues in the Paine scandal, like the fact CA and Cricket Tasmania are yet to explain how their investigation started with a written complaint from a woman about receiving “unsolicited” images and ended with them being able to declare with absolute certainty that this was an exchange between two consenting adults.

Sure, the woman was not interviewed and didn’t co-operate with the investigation at the time, but really who would want to take on the Test captain?

And while CA sent Paine’s mobile away for forensic testing, which returned no trace of the images or messages, how did they all come to the conclusion — which they now state as hard fact — this was between two consenting adults?

Have they just taken Paine’s word for it? Have they assumed her flirtations were an open invitation for nudity? And if the Test captain can just resign his job for private messages being made public, but can still play Test cricket, does this mean they‘re OK with 10 members of the Test team all sending lewd images to women privately, so long as they’re not the captain?

For all the noise made by Cricket Australia and their state bodies around gender equality, their handling of a genuinely concerning allegation of sexual harassment has been nothing but troubling.

This incident was covered up for three years. And now Paine could still be named in the Ashes team.

It feels like CA are asking Australia to turn a blind eye to the sordid past, and you really shouldn’t expect anything less, because that win-at-all-costs culture still seems to be alive and well.
"
Thanks Sanctorum. My bet is that he'll stay in the team. CA are bottom feeders.
I have a friend who told me that he is no longer interested in cricket as the whole team is comprised pf grubs and this was before the latest unsavory incident.
I'm not no longer interested - it's too woven into me - but cricket at the top of the tree - i.e the test team and T20 stuff - the whole show just makes me somewhat cynical, jaded and disgusted. The culture is driven purely by marketing and product spin. Would rather attend a game of local cricket or the Shield. It's irrevocably changed massively for the worse in the last two decades.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 2:55pm

by Jessica O'Halloran

"
Compelling read
Bullocks Skeptic.

What is compelling about it?
What is new? What surprised you?
Be honest, What shocked you....or do you just wanna wave your flag on the 'good side of the street' as an act of virtue sigmaling.

I feel sorry for all parties...but it is the mob mentality ...that dynamic, where a pack of dogs huddle behind the good dog...

I have no sympathy for sports jocks and that boys culture at all....I was treated like crap by them as a kid and teen...I hate them.

And I suppose one can always say, 'Are you father..? ..you wouldn't know!"

Compelling reading!

Bullocks.

It is sad and tragic...that is about it.

Paine shouldn't be captain or player IMO..he'll go down..But anyone who thinks that organizations hide their 'dirty laundtry' because they are 'dirty organizations' is kidding themselves..

Pay your taxes!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 3:56pm

by Jessica O'Halloran

"
Compelling read
Bullocks Skeptic.

Be honest, What shocked you....or do you just wanna wave your flag on the 'good side of the street' as an act of virtue sigmaling.

I feel sorry for all parties...but it is the mob mentality ...that dynamic, where a pack of dogs huddle behind the good dog...

I have no sympathy for sports jocks and that boys culture at all....I was treated like crap by them as a kid and teen...I hate them.

Compelling reading!

Bullocks.

Paine shouldn't be captain or player IMO..he'll go down..But anyone who thinks that organizations hide their 'dirty laundtry' because they are 'dirty organizations' is kidding themselves..

Pay your taxes!
I just thought it was a measured and unemotional detailing of the facts with an editorial take that is reasonable.

One doesn’t need sensationalism and big revelations aimed at making a story bigger than it is. As someone that hasn’t really been following the story closely, I read that and it held my interest a lot more then the more elaborate interpretations that have also been bandied about.

I don’t think there’s too much of an argument that if organisations, especially public ones have the opportunity to sweep scandals under the rug they will.
If anything more often then not, primarily because it’s easier to make problems go away then by dealing with them.

Don’t really get your response or what you’ve gotten fired up about

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Kind of agree with a lot of that skeptic but the paragraph that lost me was the one that began with, "Sure, the woman was not interviewed and didn't co-operate...but..
" The author then went on to be as bad as everyone else who doesn't have the facts using the "but" to support their narrative / take.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 6:10pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 3:56pm

by Jessica O'Halloran

"
Compelling read
Bullocks Skeptic.

Compelling reading!

Bullocks.

Pay your taxes!
I just thought it was a measured and unemotional detailing of the facts with an editorial take that is reasonable.

One doesn’t need sensationalism and big revelations aimed at making a story bigger than it is. As someone that hasn’t really been following the story closely, I read that and it held my interest a lot more then the more elaborate interpretations that have also been bandied about.

I don’t think there’s too much of an argument that if organisations, especially public ones have the opportunity to sweep scandals under the rug they will.
If anything more often then not, primarily because it’s easier to make problems go away then by dealing with them.

Don’t really get your response or what you’ve gotten fired up about
Yeah, fair enough Skeptic. Sorry if I implied you are somehow incapable of forming an opinion...and anyway, if I am right, and we are a pack of dogs, then I am one too!

I am angry at myself to, cause I don't like carrying on like that...but I swear I can't help it...what I sense, the group mentality..but as I say..I am part pf it...I think we are all somehow joined as one...and when part starts acting up, the other parts try to distance themselves from it.

I hate so many things..grumpy old man I am becoming!

I just pray for a society where people can screw up, wake up and truly start again. A clean slate. But we are moving in the direction of branding people for life..You think he doesn't regret that? It doesn't matter why to me....The whole, he only regretst it cause he got caught m is another example of that rubbish. Of course we have defenses..

The language used annoys the F out of me too....'unsolicited' ...'genitals'....Since when do we know what unsolicited means? Did Mary ask you to touch her elbow..? Back in the HR? Did she say, I now solicit you to attempt to blow me a kiss or smile? No, but you thought you knew when it was welcome..(not you Skeptic...I mean any male )

Now I expect the usual outrage and heavy hitting slammer to remind me...'I'll tell ya what it means mate....." Prison lore is full of tales of sex offenders being raped by inmates..the guilt for that is dissolved in the totality of the former's crime, and it is seen as only natural justice.

Well, i don't think there are any easy answers.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Just for balance, the texting exchange was consensual according to the outcomes of the investigation by CA and so I note in that article Sanctorum posted the author doesn't seem to mention the consensual nature of the texting exchange or the relationship specifics which clearly involve the girl messing around with a married man, shouldn't the girls moral compass be rolled out into the spotlight for further examination by those that want Paine to be hung in a public square.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think that’s a very dangerous slope there Vortex.

What was consented to was consented to and what wasn’t wasn’t. I thinking you’re editorialising territory when you raise the issue of moral compass or who should be assume greater responsibility. Using CA’s investigation as a reference point of an outcome is fraught with danger there as there are almost certainly competing interests there.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 4:34pm I think that’s a very dangerous slope there Vortex.

What was consented to was consented to and what wasn’t wasn’t. I thinking you’re editorialising territory when you raise the issue of moral compass or who should be assume greater responsibility. Using CA’s investigation as a reference point of an outcome is fraught with danger there as there are almost certainly competing interests there.
The point I'm trying to make really is directed more towards the author and the imbalance of the article which ironically is an opinion editorial for a Murdoch rag that seems to omit or mention how the HS came into possession of the details around the event and can conclude the dic pic was unsolicited. I think for balance and accuracy it should have at least highlighted the girl was having an affair with a married man. It was also reported the girl was also involved in criminal matters. Good journalism shouldn't pick and choose what should included in an article and that way the reader can form their own opinions.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 5:18pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 4:34pm I think that’s a very dangerous slope there Vortex.

The point I'm trying to make really is directed more towards the author and the imbalance of the article which ironically is an opinion editorial for a Murdoch rag that seems to omit or mention how the HS came into possession of the details around the event and can conclude the dic pic was unsolicited. I think for balance and accuracy it should have at least highlighted the girl was having an affair with a married man. It was also reported the girl was also involved in criminal matters. Good journalism shouldn't pick and choose what should included in an article and that way the reader can form their own opinions.
Isn’t it all picking and choosing?
How are you supposed to determine what is and isn’t relevant? If he’s had pst transgressions, should that all come out too?

The point that I find a little concerning is the slant that the lady was fooling around with a married man. It sounds to me like your selectively assuming more responsibility in one direction to the other on a basis that I don’t understand.

Personally (and this is only my opinion), I would direct greater responsibility here on the married person then the affairee so to speak). Why would she value his marriage more than he does?

Either way though… I don’t think it’s wise to go one way or the other. Let he who is without sin etc

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's responsibility that needs directing skeptic and that's where the issue is being contorted. People, including opinion reporters, are making their own assumptions, building their own cases on facts none of us have been fully briefed on.

Ironically your last line regarding the casting of stones is pretty much a point vortex is likely in agreement with.

Many points are being latched on to here, marriage sanctity, respect, sex crimes, values, consent, harassment etc & all whilst picking and choosing "facts" we know, assume or have read from other's assumptions.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 5:37pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 5:18pm

Isn’t it all picking and choosing?
How are you supposed to determine what is and isn’t relevant? If he’s had pst transgressions, should that all come out too?

The point that I find a little concerning is the slant that the lady was fooling around with a married man. It sounds to me like your selectively assuming more responsibility in one direction to the other on a basis that I don’t understand.

Personally (and this is only my opinion), I would direct greater responsibility here on the married person then the affairee so to speak). Why would she value his marriage more than he does?

Either way though… I don’t think it’s wise to go one way or the other. Let he who is without sin etc
I suppose it is picking and choosing and that is exactly why these events become media events, it's deliberate and someone wants some leverage and someone wants the audience to pick and choose and someone gets to make a little bit of cash along the way. Honestly I wasn't thinking about apportioning responsibility but now when I think about it is possible equal responsibility should have to be taken.

The girl had an affair with not only a married man, but with a man with arguably one of the most well known and most revered sporting figures in the land, what's that saying about playing with fire. Doesn't mean Paine isn't any less of a fool and was also playing with fire but don't kid yourself the Murdoch press know EXACTLY what they doing when they run a trash piece like this. Crafted with scientific principles to ensure the readers pick and choose.

Where there any laws broken, was the dic pic investigated for possible criminal charges?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'd also make the point about these types of trash media pieces, that whilst we all get our 24 hours of titillation and Murdoch gets his cash, the unfortunate victims in the Paine event were his unborn children who will learn how to use Google real soon as will all of the children they go to school with.

So the consequences of an event that just has no place in the media will be felt for a life time by innocent people, not much mention of those victims in the trash piece.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 7:32pm I'd also make the point about these types of trash media pieces, that whilst we all get our 24 hours of titillation and Murdoch gets his cash, the unfortunate victims in the Paine event were his unborn children who will learn how to use Google real soon as will all of the children they go to school with.

So the consequences of an event that just has no place in the media will be felt for a life time by innocent people, not much mention of those victims in the trash piece.
I certainly don’t disagree with you there

It’s why I don’t buy any of these types of publications and barely watch the news. To be honest, everything I know about this story comes from the comments in this thread.

Generally speaking... this type of story really isn’t what I call news. A headline because the person is famous is just trash journalism... I work at the court these days, this type of thing happens a plethora of times per day.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 7:37pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 7:32pm I'd also make the point about these types of trash media pieces, that whilst we all get our 24 hours of titillation and Murdoch gets his cash, the unfortunate victims in the Paine event were his unborn children who will learn how to use Google real soon as will all of the children they go to school with.

I certainly don’t disagree with you there

It’s why I don’t buy any of these types of publications and barely watch the news. To be honest, everything I know about this story comes from the comments in this thread.

Generally speaking... this type of story really isn’t what I call news. A headline because the person is famous is just trash journalism... I work at the court these days, this type of thing happens a plethora of times per day.
Yeah same Skeptic. My consumption of so called "news" is almost zero. I even have gotten into the habit of turning the radio off in the car when the news comes on. My whole philosophy towards "news" is simply how does it enrich my day to day life.

Interestingly you don't need to consume news in a Pandemic because everyone you know will catch you up.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Which is precisely why Paine and the 2 cricket boards were incredibly dumb to think that this affair would not, sooner or later, surface in the media in this era of intense scrutiny with all manner of social media.

If they had had the good sense at the time when this was first reported and investigated and allowed Paine to quietly retire from representative cricket and depart centre stage with his reputation intact, all of the fuss and bother could have been avoided and spared his family the disgrace of having it all played out in public 3 years later. It is really tragic that Tim Paine's legacy as captain of the Australian Test team is likely to be tarnished by an act of utter stupidity.

It goes to prove that the best advice fathers can pass on to their teenage sons is: "always keep your dick in your pants"!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 25 Nov 2021 9:22pm

Which is precisely why Paine and the 2 cricket boards were incredibly dumb to think that this affair would not, sooner or later, surface in the media in this era of intense scrutiny with all manner of social media.

If they had had the good sense at the time when this was first reported and investigated and allowed Paine to quietly retire from representative cricket and depart centre stage with his reputation intact, all of the fuss and bother could have been avoided and spared his family the disgrace of having it all played out in public 3 years later. It is really tragic that Tim Paine's legacy as captain of the Australian Test team is likely to be tarnished by an act of utter stupidity.

It goes to prove that the best advice fathers can pass on to their teenage sons is: "always keep your dick in your pants"!
On its own that advice was best practice a couple of generation ago and I say that without meaning any disrespect.

In today's world the best advice fathers can give to their children (not just the boys), would be don't be sexting with anyone, even your partner, because once you place anything digital on the net you lose control of distribution the precise moment you hit send and it will remain on the net permanently. You can never get it back.

And Fathers should also tell their children the nude pic they put on the internet could be something they have to explain to their unborn children just as example of how permanent the net. Just like Paine will have to sit his children down one day for an awkward chat.

A fact of life for this generation growing up on the internet is sex is also done on the internet, in actual fact addiction to porn for teenagers is a significant thing. Sexting and sending nude pics is almost a normal part of teenage life and so that is now carrying over into adulthood along with all of the necessary tools and rules of engagement.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Out of the Ashes. Taking an "indefinite break from the game". Certainly has played his last test.

Sanctorum
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021 1:00pm Out of the Ashes. Taking an "indefinite break from the game". Certainly has played his last test.
That was always the inevitable outcome once this became a "media event" - no doubt there will be some who who will blame Murdoch etal but ultimately the tragic consequences of this reckless act had to be fully borne by the perpetrator.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gonesky

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021 1:25pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 26 Nov 2021 1:00pm Out of the Ashes. Taking an "indefinite break from the game". Certainly has played his last test.
That was always the inevitable outcome once this became a "media event" - no doubt there will be some who who will blame Murdoch etal but ultimately the tragic consequences of this reckless act had to be fully borne by the perpetrator.
It shouldn't be about apportioning blame, however Murdoch is absolutey the reason Paine's life is ruined. ,These life ruining events are the raw materials used on the Murdoch production line. A big difference between cause and reason and the punishment is akin to smashing a walnut with a ball wrecker. We the people need to wake up.

As far as I'm aware there were no criminal charges laid, I don't even think the police received a complaint to investigate, can anyone confirm?

The only reason Paine has lost his job is because some low life scumbag has fed the story to that sewer pit of an organisation the HS to make some cash or for other equally deplorable reasons.

How can we get better while people of the likes of Murdoch etal reign supreme over the globe. Just disgusting terrorists of the worst kind.