Number 21 takes a leave of absence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Number 21 takes a leave of absence

Scollop wrote: Tue 02 Nov 2021 4:04am
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 11:55pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 01 Nov 2021 2:31pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 30 Oct 2021 6:45pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 12:02pm I’m assuming that because Georgia is of Greek heritage that just like most people in Greece and most Greek Australians that she is Christian Orhodox.

This is pure speculation, so not really a ‘blab’ or any inside word or anything but I heard that certain elements of the Greek community who are conservative church goers have somehow linked God and religion with Covid 19 and for some unknown reason they are against getting vaccinated.

What’s his face - the Serbian fella Novak Djokovic is also Christian Orthodox and he’s apparently also against getting the vax. It’s difficult to understand how the peasant mind works and why the church or certain elements of the priesthood are pushing this line, but when it comes to religion, I don’t think logic or science comes into it…much

She is a gun player and it would be a shame if she follows the dumb illogical rules or customs of the extreme elements of the Greek church. ….all just my humble opinion and maybe it’s miles away from the truth and her real reasons for taking time out
Maybe she’s just scared of needles?

Talk about ignorance and spreading fear and misinformation, but it’s only the “anti-vaxxers and you tubers who do this right?

Even if you did qualify your theory, I haven’t read so much crap…

Her body, her choice, biatch…
‘Qualify my theory?’ I heard it straight from the horses mouth … No!! Not Georgia herself. I heard it from a Greek Aussie who was born here but unfortunately they want to listen to the thoughts of their peasant parents who migrated here in the 1950’s or 1960’s.
since when is 1 Greek Aussie an authority

I didn’t believe it at first but I did a google search and that’s when I decided to spread my ‘misinformation’

Unfortunately, there remains a sizeable number within the millions of Greek Australians and Greek expats in America and they are more interested in what the Greek Church and the hierarchy in Athens preaches to them rather than listening to health advice from scientists….a bit like some politicians who are followers of evangelical preachers

Maybe you’re right about her being scared of needles… but answer me this please biatch :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:

IF the stuff I wrote about is anywhere near the truth and IF there is an element in the Greek community that is somehow tying in their choice NOT to be vaccinated with their FAITH and they believe the theories from their church (or more specifically the extreme elements from a few religious nutters) do you think that religious leaders should be giving health advice to their followers?
In a 1000 person survey taken in Greece at the beginning of the pandemic over 57% said they would take a vaccine if it was available. The most likely to take the vaccine, of the people surveyed, were (peasant parents) over the age of 65. Just like almost all those migrants who came here in the 50's and 60's would be now.

Something doesn't add up in your assumptions based on the opinion of 1 Aussie Greek bloke, who obviously likes to stir up bigoted, racist, misinformed and ignorant Skips and perhaps even you too.

Your final paragraph is a reasonable question.

There are always going to be religious nutters using their political power to influence their flocks to maintain theit power and wealth
I like that last sentence from you CQ that I quoted

Great research CQ....BUT

The thing about those migrants who came here in the 50's and 60's - well you know, let's just say most of them were not very well educated. That doesn't make them bad people, but it probably means there's plenty who didn't have time or didn't feel the need to be educated ( in Greek or in English) and they can tend to be stubborn and fixed in their attitudes and customs and superstitions.

Most of Greece (and especially the town folk and their children who currently live in those villagers where the peasant migrants come from) have all moved with the times and they have made progress with the rest of Europe and they have changed in many ways and become more of an educated society rather than just peasant farmers...however I believe that some of the people who live here in Australia have either NOT been as willing to embrace change or perhaps have been brainwashed by their parents who are stuck in a timewarp - it may as well be 1950 and that'd be a good thing as far as they're concerned

It's not a just Greek thing. I suppose there are people in places all over the world where they'd prefer the good ol' days

Oh...btw, Josh Battle is not a racist. Far from it. He just doesn't have much patience for flat earthers and religious nutters :)
Given your strong stance on comments made about various ethnic groups on this forum, I really find this take very selective and hypocritical.

Let’s just scapegoat those ignorant, lazy and undeducted Mediterraneans.

Pathetic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Josh Battle
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Thu 04 Nov 2021 8:34pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 25 Oct 2021 12:02pm I’m assuming that because Georgia is of Greek heritage that just like most people in Greece and most Greek Australians that she is Christian Orhodox.

This is pure speculation, so not really a ‘blab’ or any inside word or anything but I heard that certain elements of the Greek community who are conservative church goers have somehow linked God and religion with Covid 19 and for some unknown reason they are against getting vaccinated.

What’s his face - the Serbian fella Novak Djokovic is also Christian Orthodox and he’s apparently also against getting the vax. It’s difficult to understand how the peasant mind works and why the church or certain elements of the priesthood are pushing this line, but when it comes to religion, I don’t think logic or science comes into it…much

She is a gun player and it would be a shame if she follows the dumb illogical rules or customs of the extreme elements of the Greek church. ….all just my humble opinion and maybe it’s miles away from the truth and her real reasons for taking time out

Talk about ignorance and spreading fear and misinformation, but it’s only the “anti-vaxxers and you tubers who do this right?

‘Qualify my theory?’ I heard it straight from the horses mouth … No!! Not Georgia herself. I heard it from a Greek Aussie who was born here but unfortunately they want to listen to the thoughts of their peasant parents who migrated here in the 1950’s or 1960’s.

I didn’t believe it at first but I did a google search and that’s when I decided to spread my ‘misinformation’

Unfortunately, there remains a sizeable number within the millions of Greek Australians and Greek expats in America and they are more interested in what the Greek Church and the hierarchy in Athens preaches to them rather than listening to health advice from scientists….a bit like some politicians who are followers of evangelical preachers

Maybe you’re right about her being scared of needles… but answer me this please biatch :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:

IF the stuff I wrote about is anywhere near the truth and IF there is an element in the Greek community that is somehow tying in their choice NOT to be vaccinated with their FAITH and they believe the theories from their church (or more specifically the extreme elements from a few religious nutters) do you think that religious leaders should be giving health advice to their followers?
Well, since you’re labelling groups, you’re cherry picking (confirmation bias) which is actually anti science and makes you sound like a simpleton.

Even if your hypothesis about the player is true, she is still not statistically representative of the population you are making ill informed comments about. This is called selection bias.

I would suggest that the Greek community are are average, no more anti COVID vaccine than any other ethnic groups in the community. There may be a very good chance that the vaccination rate for the “peasants” as you called them, may on average, be a bit higher than other demographic groups in the community given the older age of this cohort. That’s just a theory and not a scientific fact because I haven’t bothered to test it but it’s no more ridiculous than your demented hypothesis.
Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

I probably shouldn’t have used the word sizeable or talked about millions of people, but I was trying to emphasise that I have personal experience with some of these flat-earthers and I come across a fair few of them in the Greek community. I don’t try and engage with them too much because I know that it’s virtually impossible to have a rational debate with some.

I’m not saying that some of these uneducated religious zealots represent the majority. I wasn’t talking about ALL Greek Orthodox followers. It’s just a select group of these religious nutjobs.

I’m sure there are people who are of Dutch origin or Scandinavian or Anglo Saxon and they know people who are religious nutters as well. Same with some of the evangelical lot over in the USA. It’s not exclusive to the Greeks.

I wasn’t trying to label ALL Greeks or ALL people who migrated from a village and have peasant heritage but if you are going to provide an opinion that is ‘out-there’ then I suppose you should provide some reasoning for your views. That’s what I was trying to do

Again, I have no idea about the circumstances for Georgia taking time out.

minneapolis
Club Player

Tony74 - do you know why our lovely Georgia is taking time off? Any light at the end of the tunnel?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
BigDazzaB
Club Player

Still no light shed on this?

Saints have been really good keeping this one in-house regardless of what the speculation is.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

saynta
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Sat 06 Nov 2021 12:16am Tony74 - do you know why our lovely Georgia is taking time off? Any light at the end of the tunnel?
You were joking there, surely?

minneapolis
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 19 Nov 2021 11:42am
minneapolis wrote: Sat 06 Nov 2021 12:16am Tony74 - do you know why our lovely Georgia is taking time off? Any light at the end of the tunnel?
No, not really. It could be something simple that could be alluded to. Like a personal problem or a family crisis.

She is a special player and I was hoping that she didn't miss game time or at the worst end of it, put her career in jeopardy. It was more wishful thinking that anything.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Sat 20 Nov 2021 1:57am
No, not really. It could be something simple that could be alluded to. Like a personal problem or a family crisis.

She is a special player and I was hoping that she didn't miss game time or at the worst end of it, put her career in jeopardy. It was more wishful thinking that anything.

Club doesn't want to release reasons, so tony74 is hardly going to breach the club's security.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Fri 05 Nov 2021 5:40pm

Well, since you’re labelling groups, you’re cherry picking (confirmation bias) which is actually anti science and makes you sound like a simpleton.

Even if your hypothesis about the player is true, she is still not statistically representative of the population you are making ill informed comments about. This is called selection bias.

I would suggest that the Greek community are are average, no more anti COVID vaccine than any other ethnic groups in the community. There may be a very good chance that the vaccination rate for the “peasants” as you called them, may on average, be a bit higher than other demographic groups in the community given the older age of this cohort. That’s just a theory and not a scientific fact because I haven’t bothered to test it but it’s no more ridiculous than your demented hypothesis.

I probably shouldn’t have used the word sizeable or talked about millions of people, but I was trying to emphasise that I have personal experience with some of these flat-earthers and I come across a fair few of them in the Greek community. I don’t try and engage with them too much because I know that it’s virtually impossible to have a rational debate with some.

I’m not saying that some of these uneducated religious zealots represent the majority. I wasn’t talking about ALL Greek Orthodox followers. It’s just a select group of these religious nutjobs.

I’m sure there are people who are of Dutch origin or Scandinavian or Anglo Saxon and they know people who are religious nutters as well. Same with some of the evangelical lot over in the USA. It’s not exclusive to the Greeks.

I wasn’t trying to label ALL Greeks or ALL people who migrated from a village and have peasant heritage but if you are going to provide an opinion that is ‘out-there’ then I suppose you should provide some reasoning for your views. That’s what I was trying to do

Ok.

If the lights ever go out I’d like to live next to some of these “peasants”. They’re very practical and they can grow stuff to eat.

Also, let’s not forget that they said NO to the Nazis when they wanted free passage to Africa and gave them the big F you. Many were then slaughtered.

One of your mates above said that the “peasants” never really bothered to learn English properly but maybe that was because of access issues to education facilities or maybe they were busy starting businesses, working in factories, helping build the country during the post war migration boom and raising young families etc. A very ignorant comment if I’ve ever heard one.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 20 Nov 2021 10:52am

Club doesn't want to release reasons, so tony74 is hardly going to breach the club's security.
Club wouldn’t get away with that crap if it was a high profile men’s player equivalent like Jack Steele.

I reckon they’re duty bound to confirm or deny whether it’s anti vax related. If it is, she’s no different to anyone else and eventually the club will have to come clean. If it’s not it stops speculation. I guess it’s shows the lack of interest in the women’s game that this hasn’t been pursued harder by the media

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 20 Nov 2021 3:01pm

Ok.

If the lights ever go out I’d like to live next to some of these “peasants”. They’re very practical and they can grow stuff to eat.

Also, let’s not forget that they said NO to the Nazis when they wanted free passage to Africa and gave them the big F you. Many were then slaughtered.

One of your mates above said that the “peasants” never really bothered to learn English properly but maybe that was because of access issues to education facilities or maybe they were busy starting businesses, working in factories, helping build the country during the post war migration boom and raising young families etc. A very ignorant comment if I’ve ever heard one.
You’re right. Two ways of looking at it. “Peasants” can be viewed in a negative sense and the word can bring up negative connotations but in an endearing kind of way there are lots of good qualities.

They’re fantastic to live next door to. They ‘grow stuff to eat’, they make good wine, raki and tsipooro and home made ouzo as well.

And yes…they did say NO and gave a good fight in WWII. As long as they don’t start a serious conversation with me it’s all good

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Nov 2021 7:02pm

Ok.

You’re right. Two ways of looking at it. “Peasants” can be viewed in a negative sense and the word can bring up negative connotations but in an endearing kind of way there are lots of good qualities.

They’re fantastic to live next door to. They ‘grow stuff to eat’, they make good wine, raki and tsipooro and home made ouzo as well.

And yes…they did say NO and gave a good fight in WWII. As long as they don’t start a serious conversation with me it’s all good
Such the enlightened one, Scollop.

“Endearing”.

What a load of patronising crap.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Nov 2021 7:02pm

Ok.

Such the enlightened one, Scollop.

“Endearing”.

What a load of patronising crap.

st sandy
Club Player

Hot off the press
www.womens.afl/news/76324?_ga=2.3573449 ... 1558766307

Saints providing Georgia more time
Again a wonderful footballer with 2 best & fairest awards at age 22.
Whatever the award is - she will win a brownlow or two in her career, if she can play again

Come on Georgia. Rules are rules
We are desperate for you to continue to grace our footy experience in next few months & beyond.

darylcowie
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 20 Nov 2021 5:40pm

Club wouldn’t get away with that crap if it was a high profile men’s player equivalent like Jack Steele.

I reckon they’re duty bound to confirm or deny whether it’s anti vax related. If it is, she’s no different to anyone else and eventually the club will have to come clean. If it’s not it stops speculation. I guess it’s shows the lack of interest in the women’s game that this hasn’t been pursued harder by the media
The only thing the media is pursuing hard is parroting the government narrative that COVID "vaccinations" are safe and effective.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Well, that’s what the media do, but overall and depending on your age group, as it currently stands, the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risk of adverse side effects.

Oh, and you’ll eventually need at least one booster.

The vaccine is the booster.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Unvaccinated are infectious for a longer period of time than the vaccinated

Unvaccinated are a higher chance of being hospitalised than the vaccinated

Unvaccinated are at a higher of risk of dying than the vaccinated

The risk of developing cardiac & lung issues is far less in the vaccinated than the unvaccinated

The vaccine isn't a cure but it does a great job of reducing hospitalizations and protecting the greater community

Not sure why some find this hard to grasp especially when the evidence from recent worldwide Medical research is clear and now well substantiated.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Silly girl, she’s “committed to learning more” which is code for “try as many doctors (or ‘doctors’) until she finds some dodgy one who will tell her what she wants to hear.”

The results are in Georgia, it’s get vaxxed or GTFO unfortunately for you.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ace
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 21 Oct 2021 8:29pm Ben Long is a better footballer.
Yeah, but he refuses to do a junk yard dog conversion to a bitch.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well, there you go.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Well I got that one wrong, I apologise. It’s definitely not what she first detailed the club about. On a different note Higgins has dropped a couple and looks mighty fit

spiral3
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 12:25pm Well I got that one wrong, I apologise. It’s definitely not what she first detailed the club about. On a different note Higgins has dropped a couple and looks mighty fit
thanks Tony
good to hear re Higgins, he did look a bit chubby last year, esp when we first traded him in
hopefully his fitness lifts and he can get more time on ball,
the more creative players to rotate through the middle the better (Gresh, Higgins, Clarke)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

spiral3 wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 2:02pm
tony74 wrote: Wed 24 Nov 2021 12:25pm Well I got that one wrong, I apologise. It’s definitely not what she first detailed the club about. On a different note Higgins has dropped a couple and looks mighty fit
thanks Tony
good to hear re Higgins, he did look a bit chubby last year, esp when we first traded him in
hopefully his fitness lifts and he can get more time on ball,
the more creative players to rotate through the middle the better (Gresh, Higgins, Clarke)
And Clark.

Josh Battle
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Sat 23 Oct 2021 5:58pm I’m led to believe it’s not a vax issue
Technically …you could still be right because it could be an issue with her local church or an issue with her boyfriend’s church

I wonder if it is Georgia’s boyfriend and her family that are against her getting the vaccine?

We do as we are told. We do what we think is right based on advice from elders and from people we trust and people who are our mentors.

I got more anecdotal evidence about some of the conflicts occurring in the community. Some boyfriends and partners have asked their girlfriends and partners not to receive the vaccine because their local priests are against it.

As I’ve said before, I don’t know Georgia or the reasons for her stance but it seem odd that a young Greek Aussie woman who is playing a sport traditionally played by boys and men is getting caught up in this sort of contradictory dilemna. All I know is that there are elements within the community who are stuck in a time warp and logic just doesn’t come into it.

This type of conservatism is not exclusive to the Greek community or the church or other religions either. We’ve seen here on saintsational how some people are against some of the focus and participation in progressive issues and agendas from the St Kilda FC club and from the wider AFL.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lol.

What a load of horse s***.

minneapolis
Club Player

A Sun article says that she gives her reasons. Anyone see it?