Nathan Kreuger?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

avid
Club Player

Nathan Kreuger?

An Age article has St Kilda chasing Geelong key defender Nathan Kreuger.
I've never heard of him.
Stats say 2 career games, both this year. Ave tackles 4.0 (elite), intercept marks 0.0 (not very elite)
But have a look at his 2019 highlights reel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHKrtJ ... elongCats
Quite impressive!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nathan Kreuger?

Pretty darn good actually. You would think Enright would only endorse this if it was going to help him set up his back 7 with what he needs.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Looks very interesting, wonder what it takes to get the deal done?

Perhaps a straight swap for Luke Dunstan, he's an ideal successor for Selwood.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 18 Sep 2021 11:04pm Looks very interesting, wonder what it takes to get the deal done?

We're getting zilch for Dunstan as he's delisted. Geelong will ask for Josh Battle.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 2:07am
Toy Saint wrote: Sat 18 Sep 2021 11:04pm Looks very interesting, wonder what it takes to get the deal done?

We're getting zilch for Dunstan as he's delisted. Geelong will ask for Josh Battle.
A few days ago on SEN I think Ratts said Dunstan was still on our list but we're happy for him to look elsewhere. Maybe I mis-heard.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 5:20am

A few days ago on SEN I think Ratts said Dunstan was still on our list but we're happy for him to look elsewhere. Maybe I mis-heard.
No you heard right. The statement was made clear. He is still on our list.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 7:14am

No you heard right. The statement was made clear. He is still on our list.
Apologies. He's a free agent, though, isn't he?

footynut
Club Player

It has been reported that Kreuger has been delisted so he'd be free

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:It has been reported that Kreuger has been delisted so he'd be free
From The Age article.

“Geelong remain hopeful of retaining the 22-year-old from South Australia putting an offer to him this week and emphasising their desire to keep him.”

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
darylcowie
Club Player

He looks like a taller, less mobile version of Wilkie, so he could fit the bill at CHB.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
damienc
Club Player

Geelong want to retain him and are probably in the box seat to do so.

St Kilda isn't the only club interested in Kreuger and he hasn't said what he wants to happen.

This guy has some good traits so it would be good if we could get him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan has not been delisted....yet. Out of contract yes, but still on the list. The saints aren't
that silly. Battle? No way.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No. You are correct.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Interesting about Dunstan. I could have sworn I saw it reported he won’t be offered a new contract. Good if he stays. I rate him. He’s a good, strong inside mid. Perhaps Ratts thinks we have a surfeit of this type of player and prefers others if fit.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he picks up a few Brownlow votes tonight. At worst, he is excellent depth.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 12:02pm Interesting about Dunstan. I could have sworn I saw it reported he won’t be offered a new contract. Good if he stays. I rate him. He’s a good, strong inside mid. Perhaps Ratts thinks we have a surfeit of this type of player and prefers others if fit.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he picks up a few Brownlow votes tonight. At worst, he is excellent depth.
Offer of new contract was withdrawn due to mutual consent but you don't get free agency compensation for someone you have delisted.

Is Kreuger a better footballer than Oscar? His states say no.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 12:06pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 12:02pm Interesting about Dunstan. I could have sworn I saw it reported he won’t be offered a new contract. Good if he stays. I rate him. He’s a good, strong inside mid. Perhaps Ratts thinks we have a surfeit of this type of player and prefers others if fit.

Offer of new contract was withdrawn due to mutual consent but you don't get free agency compensation for someone you have delisted.

Is Kreuger a better footballer than Oscar? His states say no.
Fair call, the stats so no, but Kreuger looks to have the right characteristics to develop into a strong marking, tackling and agile CHB. This is precisely what St Kilda needs.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Cats possibly hoping Kreuger replaces Henderson. Collingwood already have Moore and Roughhead as established key defenders. If he came to us he would be pretty much guaranteed CHB, longer contract and more money. Enright might swing it, plus as Kreuger is from SA there are strong links at the Saints. We have to be a good chance. Don't Cats owe us favours for Jack Stevens and Rhyse? (only joking).

Saints58
Club Player

Here is a few players we might target in the CHB key position role.
Ben Miller from Richmond a KPP 198cm 93kg 1 game not much opportunity at the Tigers does not have a contract and if Tarrant comes on board at the Tigers he would be gettable I would say.

Blake Schlensog previously on Geelong list
He is 22 199cm 99kg here is a bit about him in the WAFL

In joining South Fremantle this season, Schlensog has developed into the WAFL's premier key position player. Spending the first half of the season in defence, leading the competition for marks and intercepting to a best-in-competition standard, Schlensog intercepts routinely due to how early he reads the ball off the opposition's boot and consistently gets to the drop of the ball.

Leek Alleer, 20 196cm 84kg

He is in Cal Twomey's best mature age draft prospects for 2021
He moved to Australia from South Sudan as a child, is an intercept defender who loves flying for his marks, backing himself in the air and cutting off forward forays. He has held down a spot in the SANFL Central District 'club back half for most of the season, playing 11 senior games in the SANFL and averaging four marks.
The 196cm prospect has pushed himself into second-round discussions as clubs assess his draft position.

minneapolis
Club Player

Don't agree at all re Dunny.

He has had 6 mediocre years and has hardly improved.

He calmness under pressure is non-existent and his kicking is 50/50 - even with plenty of time.

He was on the outs but had a very lucky circumstance with injuries where he got another chance. He busted a gut and played 3 good games but even then his last 2 games reverted to type - poor disposal and decision making.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
damienc
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 2:19pm Here is a few players we might target in the CHB key position role.
Ben Miller from Richmond a KPP 198cm 93kg 1 game not much opportunity at the Tigers does not have a contract and if Tarrant comes on board at the Tigers he would be gettable I would say.

Blake Schlensog previously on Geelong list
He is 22 199cm 99kg here is a bit about him in the WAFL

In joining South Fremantle this season, Schlensog has developed into the WAFL's premier key position player. Spending the first half of the season in defence, leading the competition for marks and intercepting to a best-in-competition standard, Schlensog intercepts routinely due to how early he reads the ball off the opposition's boot and consistently gets to the drop of the ball.

Leek Alleer, 20 196cm 84kg

He is in Cal Twomey's best mature age draft prospects for 2021
He moved to Australia from South Sudan as a child, is an intercept defender who loves flying for his marks, backing himself in the air and cutting off forward forays. He has held down a spot in the SANFL Central District 'club back half for most of the season, playing 11 senior games in the SANFL and averaging four marks.
The 196cm prospect has pushed himself into second-round discussions as clubs assess his draft position.
I note the two guys you mention are both intercept defenders.

I would have thought we already have plenty in Tom Highmore, Dougal Howard and C. Wilkie.

I think we need a defender who can play on the best opposition forward each week and nullify their influence.

Hence our interest in Tahlia and Kreuger who could potentially fill that role.

Not knocking your suggestions. But maybe not what the club is looking for at the moment?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From the herald sun. Cats list Annalise.

"5. Nathan Kreuger

Emerging swingman has attracted interest as he is stuck behind Tom Hawkins, Esava Ratugolea and Jeremy Cameron in Geelong’s attacking pecking order. St Kilda is circling the 196cm tall and Collingwood asked the question last year and have been chasing another prime marking target since Tom Lynch picked Richmond over the Magpies and Hawks. Kreuger broke through for two late season games against North Melbourne and GWS Giants and, while he is still developing, he has shown signs he can play at both ends.

Is he better than Battle? I wouldn't think so.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Have we established how good Josh B is. His highlights are great, perhaps injuries have hindered consistency. Seems to have a bandaged head quite often. I really like his style but am biased. Not sure what I would think if he wore another jumper. Hope he is the '22 break out Sincs was in '21. Could watch and learn from Sharman who already has a Brownlow vote.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 11:08am Have we established how good Josh B is. His highlights are great, perhaps injuries have hindered consistency. Seems to have a bandaged head quite often. I really like his style but am biased. Not sure what I would think if he wore another jumper. Hope he is the '22 break out Sincs was in '21. Could watch and learn from Sharman who already has a Brownlow vote.
Josh B really needs to earn his spot in the team and has had time to do it, so just needs to pull his finger out. Sharman has already started to cement a forward position in the seniors.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From reports of Schlensog's WAFL finals games he is completely averse to physical contact, has played very poorly. I havent seen his in season games but there are warning signs.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 1:12pm From reports of Schlensog's WAFL finals games he is completely averse to physical contact, has played very poorly. I havent seen his in season games but there are warning signs.
Apart from being young there has to be a reason Geelong cut the schlong.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?