We should play a home game at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints58
Club Player

We should play a home game at Moorabbin

It would be great to play a home game at Moorabbin against either GC,GWS, Fremantle all teams with next to no membership in Melbourne.
If its any good we could increase to maybe 2 games a year.
We need to think outside the square a bit in such a congested market in Melbourne and this would generate some real hype and excitement.
I am aware we could have standing room again but we could also put in some teared seating for the game it is not a difficult solution.
The game would probably be a sell out with about 10,000 99% crazy saint supporters.
This could be a members game one that we need to have a free ticket for if any space left there could be general admission allowed.
The atmosphere would be electric we could even maybe resurrect the animal enclosure they would know what hit them it that was there.
Hopefully it would be live on TV like when the bulldogs played in Ballarat in that game the crowd was not great and it would be a better crowd then us playing any of these team anywhere else as a home game.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: We should play a home game at Moorabbin

Saints58 wrote: Tue 14 Sep 2021 10:55pm It would be great to play a home game at Moorabbin against either GC,GWS, Fremantle all teams with next to no membership in Melbourne.
We need to think outside the square a bit in such a congested market in Melbourne and this would generate some real hype and excitement.
I am aware we could have standing room again but we could also put in some teared seating for the game it is not a difficult solution.
The game would probably be a sell out with about 10,000 99% crazy saint supporters.
This could be a members game one that we need to have a free ticket for if any space left there could be general admission allowed.
The atmosphere would be electric we could even maybe resurrect the animal enclosure they would know what hit them it that was there.
Hopefully it would be live on TV like when the bulldogs played in Ballarat in that game the crowd was not great and it would be a better crowd then us playing any of these team anywhere else as a home game.
Collingwood, towards the end of their days at Vic Park we’re playing like three games there a year against teams like Fremantle and Brisbane Bears. I won’t knock the idea. It’s nice, but I think it would need something special to happen with the Moorabbin community and Kingston council to make it happen.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Sep 2021 11:21pm
Saints58 wrote: Tue 14 Sep 2021 10:55pm It would be great to play a home game at Moorabbin against either GC,GWS, Fremantle all teams with next to no membership in Melbourne.
Collingwood, towards the end of their days at Vic Park we’re playing like three games there a year against teams like Fremantle and Brisbane Bears. I won’t knock the idea. It’s nice, but I think it would need something special to happen with the Moorabbin community and Kingston council to make it happen.
Next year could see still more lockdowns, and even when things do open up, restrictions on crowd sizes and locking out unvaccinated people including kids who haven't been fully vaccinated yet, could see a lot of matches played in front of crowds of under 10.000, so it is possible.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i,d love it, but reality is that those possible games in front of 10,000 would be in stadium with a strict isolation rule, not a jammed packed suburban ground.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

It's an idea that already has legs. Carlton and the Western Bulldogs are also exploring similar future options with Princes Park & the Western Oval.

AFL games at Moorabbin is the natural progression after going from training to VFL to AFLW to Pre Season games, but it'll be several years away if it happens.

And don't worry about the plan not having the support of the Kingston City Council, those days are long gone.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:09am It's an idea that already has legs. Carlton and the Western Bulldogs are also exploring similar future options with Princes Park & the Western Oval.

AFL games at Moorabbin is the natural progression after going from training to VFL to AFLW to Pre Season games, but it'll be several years away if it happens.

And don't worry about the plan not having the support of the Kingston City Council, those days are long gone.
Do tell

diddley
Club Player

If anyone went to the AFLW games over the past 2 years, you can see how good it is to be there. But at the same time, how unprepared they would be for crowds above 5000 people. There is a stand being built now which will help, but even the local area does not have the facility to park the cars of the quantity of people coming in.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

This just reminded me to put the rubbish bin out tonight. And to cancel my membership if this idea ever grows legs.

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:02am If anyone went to the AFLW games over the past 2 years, you can see how good it is to be there. But at the same time, how unprepared they would be for crowds above 5000 people. There is a stand being built now which will help, but even the local area does not have the facility to park the cars of the quantity of people coming in.
Remember walking to the ground late 70s and people would let you park on their front yards for two dollars. They’d put up signs on the letterbox. Cars parked all over the street and nature strip on those days.

I think JO is better for this kind of game…!
Sorry!

But if Moorabbin gets a gig it’s fine.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:02am If anyone went to the AFLW games over the past 2 years, you can see how good it is to be there. But at the same time, how unprepared they would be for crowds above 5000 people. There is a stand being built now which will help, but even the local area does not have the facility to park the cars of the quantity of people coming in.
This was the residents biggest objection to playing games at Moorabbin and I do not sense that this has changed. People in the area would leave before 12:00 and not come home until after 5:00 just to be able to do the things they needed to during game time as there is no way you could get out of your driveway during game time. Parking tickets were not a disincentive.

Until they sort parking for 5,000 cars I cannot see a 10,000 member game happening.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
amusingname
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:48am
This was the residents biggest objection to playing games at Moorabbin and I do not sense that this has changed. People in the area would leave before 12:00 and not come home until after 5:00 just to be able to do the things they needed to during game time as there is no way you could get out of your driveway during game time. Parking tickets were not a disincentive.

Until they sort parking for 5,000 cars I cannot see a 10,000 member game happening.
Agreed, went to the AFLW game against the bulldogs in 2020, got there in plenty of time (i thought) but still needed a cut lunch and a compass to get to the ground from where we could get a park.

Also, the infrastructure needed for a regular season game is something I doubt is being incorporated into the new buildings. A row of porta-potty’s for 10k is not really going to cut it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The JO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:48am

Yes…times have changed.
(I don’t wanna use this as a sneaky excuse to push my JO thing)
But Moorabbin is a quiet residential family suburb with million dollar houses, leafy streets and twitchy parking officers.

20,000 bucks in 1975 you could buy a great house, change the oil out the front, play kick to kick the footy in the street, while your dog is crapping all over your neighbors nature strip, or pissing on their car which was probably parked there.

These days you’d get in trouble for riding a skateboard there. And there is just one train line (all be it a busy one) and it’s a 650m walk…(which again was nothing in 1975, and in 2021 equals Bourke and Wills)

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:58am
Beno88 wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:09am It's an idea that already has legs. Carlton and the Western Bulldogs are also exploring similar future options with Princes Park & the Western Oval.

Do tell
It's all in the funding.

Prove the facilities provide long term benefits for the local community, the funding will come.

But it's a gradual process.

The State Government and the AFL's priority at the moment is an alternative to Docklands (or a revamp).

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are there even the appropriate facilities at Moorabbin to host an AFL game

Ticketing
Toilets
Places to sit and watch the footy?
Anything undercover?
Food and drink facilities?
Bars?

I watched the game vs Hawthorn there, and whilst it was nice to be back on the ground from a sentimental viewpoint. Really, it wasn’t great for viewing

Standing for a few hours 5 deep along the boundary.

Really
It’s a training ground, and can probably only support 5000 people.

Josh Battle
Club Player

We should get sushi Carol

diddley
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 12:11pm Are there even the appropriate facilities at Moorabbin to host an AFL game

Ticketing
Toilets
Places to sit and watch the footy?
Anything undercover?
Food and drink facilities?
Bars?

I watched the game vs Hawthorn there, and whilst it was nice to be back on the ground from a sentimental viewpoint. Really, it wasn’t great for viewing

Standing for a few hours 5 deep along the boundary.

Really
It’s a training ground, and can probably only support 5000 people.
Pretty much all of this.
It’s all made a lot harder with covid measures segregating people. Portable toilets and food trucks were a nice touch, but limited options. They did the best they could with the conditions available.

I managed to go there for the AFLW game against GWS. It was raining so hard, and was bitterly cold. There was no shelter, other than a couple pop up marquees, but they did nothing as the rain was coming in sideways. I ended up watching the second half on my phone in my car while I defrosted with the heating blasting.
It had a real local footy vibe, but unfortunately not for the right reasons.

Playing h&a games at Moorabbin is a casualty of AFL being one of the highest attended sports per game in the world.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

They would have to seriously upgrade the amenities like toilets and food stalls.
Even with no restrictions, ten thousand isn't a big enough crows as we would get double that at Marvel.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.