St Kilda’s (non) development program …

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

St Kilda’s (non) development program …

This. Read it and weep. https://www.afl.com.au/news/676614/sain ... estructure

Wow. Absolutely gobsmacked. FFS - we’re only now just getting ‘round to prioritising development.

I feel sick after reading that. How goddamn amateur hour we are at Moorabbin. And we wonder why the likes of Battle, Coffield, Billings, Dunstan etc just stagnate and become ordinary versions of themselves.

Compare that to Sydney and their academy or, Melbourne getting Chocko in to teach their players how to kick properly. Fu#k. Get in the bin St Kilda - you’ve been taking our money under the false pretence of running a professional sporting organisation.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: St Kilda’s (non) development program …

20 years behind best clubs in some areas

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Was t the “Why not us” something Luke Beveridge used at Dogs in 2016????? I sorta hope we are thinking a bit more laterally than ripping off other teams coaching slogans ??
Not surprised we are just starting to prioritise development we’ve clearly been shyte at it for years....how many players have we had come through just stall????
It’s my biggest worry next year for Clarke , Coffield etc. ....can we actually develop them so they take the next step to A grade or elite???????
If none of the players in that age really step up we will have a massive list hole and be years off it

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Is the article saying they are bringing in a development coach and another assistant and changing job roles for Ben McGlynn and or Jake Batchelor ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

First thing we should do, seeing as next season will probably be disrupted again with intermittent and possibly prolonged lockdowns , is extricate ourselves from the alignment with Sandringham.
It is absolutely not bearing fruit and the best season we had for a decade the VFL was in recess.
This is absolutely not a high achieving development program.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Tony74 are these naysayers correct?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s just sad

Amateur hour

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I think people are reading too much into this fluff piece about a change in structure.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

It's an issue effected by COVID hence the obvious need to make adjustments to meet a unique situation. I'm guessing most clubs are doing the same as it has been very challenging to do any type of development work during COVID and possibly will not only remain that way for a couple more years but the disruption due to COVID could have a lasting effect on development long after the Pandemic is over meaning some careers are going to be cut short and some career may never launch or reach full potential.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 9:49am I think people are reading too much into this fluff piece about a change in structure.
Typical over reaction to a story that says nothing about the players behind under development. You all sound like a pack of f****** Donald Trumps. Pathetic!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

no surprise here..you only have to look at players we have given to other clubs and watch their rapid improvement.

Banger would be a great development coach.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:06am no surprise here..you only have to look at players we have given to other clubs and watch their rapid improvement.

Like who, Rhys Stanley??
Jack Newnes?

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 10:26am It's an issue effected by COVID hence the obvious need to make adjustments to meet a unique situation. I'm guessing most clubs are doing the same as it has been very challenging to do any type of development work during COVID and possibly will not only remain that way for a couple more years but the disruption due to COVID could have a lasting effect on development long after the Pandemic is over meaning some careers are going to be cut short and some career may never launch or reach full potential.
That's a reasonable prognosis, the last 2 seasons have certainly been significantly effected by the virus and all the over the top lockdown restrictions. However I have long believed that St Kilda's development programmes under Alan Richardson before the pandemic were very poor with many high draft picks taking years to develop the basic skills and play consistently good football, unlike the top clubs.

Making gross misjudgements in recruiting has not helped either, viz David Armitage at pick 9 ahead of Jack Riewoldt at 13 in 2008, Jack Billings (3) v Bontempelli (4) in 2013, Paddy McCartin (1) v Christian Petracca (2) in 2014 to mention a few - the strength of character of all 3 champions would have made such a difference to the culture of the team.

Looking at the current list, there are not too many standouts in the list of senior players that we can say have the elite level of skills and leadership attributes to set high standards as an example for the young blokes to follow. This of course was the main reason the club brought in Dan Hannebery and Bradley Hill but both for different reasons have not contributed much at all in this regard.

Better late than never now that the coach has picked the scab off the festering wound that has been so malignant in the team - and for that we have to be thankful!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes,

Stanley better at Geelong than StK
Newnes better at Carlton than his last two years at stk

Cripps WCE
Lynch Adelaide

Although that’s going back a while

Not sure about Acres? Don’t watch Freo.

Who else has gone elsewhere???
Siposs Philadelphia

asiu
Saintsational Legend

hmmm

i'm finding myself thinking he could be a good fit
in our clubhouse

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 12:00pm Yes,

Stanley better at Geelong than StK
Newnes better at Carlton than his last two years at stk

Cripps WCE
Lynch Adelaide

Although that’s going back a while

Not sure about Acres? Don’t watch Freo.

Who else has gone elsewhere???
Siposs Philadelphia
Geez Stanley in a stronger team, but still literally a pussy. Marshall better than him any day of the week.
Newnes still s***. Got dropped a few times and played sub.
Cripps down hill skier playing at a stronger club.
Lynch didn't get a go because of Lyon.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:58am Making gross misjudgements in recruiting has not helped either...Jack Billings (3) v Bontempelli (4) in 2013.
Not having that.

Billings was a clear top 3 choice in that draft. The Bont went way earlier than the experts predicted. In hindsight, that was an inspired, risky pick from the Dogs not a poor selection choice by us.
We did the right thing in taking Billings on the evidence we had at the time.

Hindsight drafting is the easiest game in town.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 12:30pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:58am Making gross misjudgements in recruiting has not helped either...Jack Billings (3) v Bontempelli (4) in 2013.
Not having that.

Billings was a clear top 3 choice in that draft. The Bont went way earlier than the experts predicted. In hindsight, that was an inspired, risky pick from the Dogs not a poor selection choice by us.
We did the right thing in taking Billings on the evidence we had at the time.

Hindsight drafting is the easiest game in town.
Agreed.

McCartin over Trac was a mistake but Billings was always top 3 rated and if we had passed on him people would have been stunned.

Can't really blame selectors for that. Dogs just got lucky.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Has the sun set on Paddy McCartins footy career. I think not.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:06am no surprise here..you only have to look at players we have given to other clubs and watch their rapid improvement.

Now THAT is a role I see Harvey excelling in .,,mentally one of the toughest there was supremely high standards ...what you want developing players to learn..,
Interesting that Lyon wanted Harvey on his coaching panel if he went Blues...

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 10:26am It's an issue effected by COVID hence the obvious need to make adjustments to meet a unique situation. I'm guessing most clubs are doing the same as it has been very challenging to do any type of development work during COVID and possibly will not only remain that way for a couple more years but the disruption due to COVID could have a lasting effect on development long after the Pandemic is over meaning some careers are going to be cut short and some career may never launch or reach full potential.
I don't think most clubs are in that situation at all. But we certainly are as it turns out. Direct comparison is Melbourne and Mark Williams (https://www.melbournefc.com.au/teams/af ... k-williams). They hire him in December 2020 with the explicit instruction to tidy up their kicking skills - in particular, Oliver and Langdon.

It absolutely astounds me that we have a guy - one guy!!! - PART TIME - who's been responsible for development of the players we recruit and draft. Jesus H Christ. I've long thought that the players we draft who turn out pretty good footballers almost do it in spite of their environment. And here we are.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 3:01pm
I don't think most clubs are in that situation at all. But we certainly are as it turns out. Direct comparison is Melbourne and Mark Williams (https://www.melbournefc.com.au/teams/af ... k-williams). They hire him in December 2020 with the explicit instruction to tidy up their kicking skills - in particular, Oliver and Langdon.

It absolutely astounds me that we have a guy - one guy!!! - PART TIME - who's been responsible for development of the players we recruit and draft. Jesus H Christ. I've long thought that the players we draft who turn out pretty good footballers almost do it in spite of their environment. And here we are.
I'd be interested to know how the other clubs are developing players because you'd think due to the feeder comps being shut down for most of the past 2 years that all clubs are in similar situations.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:51am

Like who, Rhys Stanley??
Jack Newnes?
McEvoy comes to mind. Bruce seems to be improving and you are on the money with Stanley, much better than when he was with us, Hickey goes ok too.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 1:43pm

Now THAT is a role I see Harvey excelling in .,,mentally one of the toughest there was supremely high standards ...what you want developing players to learn..,
Interesting that Lyon wanted Harvey on his coaching panel if he went Blues...
no doubt, if any player was to apply themselves even half as much as Banger did he would be elite.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 4:12pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:51am

Like who, Rhys Stanley??
Jack Newnes?
McEvoy comes to mind. Bruce seems to be improving and you are on the money with Stanley, much better than when he was with us, Hickey goes ok too.
What's the saying ....... big guys take time ...... they were always going to peak development wise later than others

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!