The Grand Final - who'll win and why

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The Grand Final - who'll win and why

The best two teams, in terms of talent, have made the 2021 Grand Final. This is not always the case, with injuries and an annual imbalance in home state advantage usually having a large say. The absence of crowds and having to play at venues away from home where there are crowds, have minimised the latter issue in this second Covid year, as it did in the first.

Both teams have pretty much their best players available, with Josh Bruce being the only player of significance, based on his 2021 performance, to miss out due to injury. The Saints curse travelled with him to the Dogs as it did with Nick Hind at the Dons. Josh Schache seem a pretty good replacement although experience counts more in a GF.

The Bulldog forward line is the most formidable and potent in the AFL. Many players can kick goals - a few from outside 50 on their non preferred! Melbourne's forward line is good, but not as good. Both midfields/on-ballers are star studded and evenly matched - but Max Gawn tips the advantage to the Demons -one of the best ruckman I have ever seen. On the backlines, Melbourne have a clear advantage. Jake Lever and Steven May are superior to their Bulldogs counterparts in contested marking. A crucial difference in a close grand final.

I wrote about half way through the season that if Melbourne was ever to win a flag, this would be the team to do it. Demons by 23 points after a close three quarters.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Grand Final - who'll win and why

Hopefully Melbourne

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Who really cares. Not I.

However I have close friends who are Melbourne supporters and my old man played reserves footy with them, so the dees would be my preferred winner if we have to have a winner. :cry: :cry: :cry:

farquhar
Club Player

I can't pick a winner in this one, will need to mull it over until I am swayed by the comments of lazy experts in the media and then regret going with the "vibe".

Time for goal-kicking practice
saynta
Saintsational Legend

farquhar wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 1:26pm I can't pick a winner in this one, will need to mull it over until I am swayed by the comments of lazy experts in the media and then regret going with the "vibe".
8-) :lol: :D :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think it will be an exciting game, two free flowing attacking teams. Interesting to see the Dogs beat them by a few goals not that long ago.

I think it will either be a close Dogs win or a Melbourne blowout. Hoping the Dees get up.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
damienc
Club Player

perfectionist wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 11:59am The best two teams, in terms of talent, have made the 2021 Grand Final. This is not always the case, with injuries and an annual imbalance in home state advantage usually having a large say. The absence of crowds and having to play at venues away from home where there are crowds, have minimised the latter issue in this second Covid year, as it did in the first.

Both teams have pretty much their best players available, with Josh Bruce being the only player of significance, based on his 2021 performance, to miss out due to injury. The Saints curse travelled with him to the Dogs as it did with Nick Hind at the Dons. Josh Schache seem a pretty good replacement although experience counts more in a GF.

The Bulldog forward line is the most formidable and potent in the AFL. Many players can kick goals - a few from outside 50 on their non preferred! Melbourne's forward line is good, but not as good. Both midfields/on-ballers are star studded and evenly matched - but Max Gawn tips the advantage to the Demons -one of the best ruckman I have ever seen. On the backlines, Melbourne have a clear advantage. Jake Lever and Steven May are superior to their Bulldogs counterparts in contested marking. A crucial difference in a close grand final.

I wrote about half way through the season that if Melbourne was ever to win a flag, this would be the team to do it. Demons by 23 points after a close three quarters.
May injured his hamstring.

Even if he plays, and he seems determined to do so, the injury will curtail his abilities.

Terrible luck for him and the Dees.

The Melbourne midfield is pretty good but so is the Doggies.

Two very evenly matched teams. The GF should be a cracker.

Dogs for me.

Club Player

Either way I’ll cry.
Watching Petracca and Bontempelli playing against each other when they should both be at St Kilda.
Missing 1 was bad but to miss both in the draft was inexcusable.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

While I agree with much of this the match is a fortnight away. Plenty of time to rectify minor niggles so both teams should be close to full strength. A couple of big ins for the Bulldogs. I'll keep my powder dry until at least 48 hours before the game.

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

1966 wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 3:03pm Either way I’ll cry.
Watching Petracca and Bontempelli playing against each other when they should both be at St Kilda.
Missing 1 was bad but to miss both in the draft was inexcusable.
Get over it.

Saint supporter since '62
BadRossco
Club Player

The Dees may have been the minor premiers but it was the Dogs then daylight on the free kick differential ladder so I think the umps will get their boys across the line.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Got to hand it to the Doggies....incredible effort to destroy Port after all their adversities.

Don't mind who wins, happy for both sides....when the f*** is our turn!?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't care until the umps start taking sides. Then whomever they don't give an armchair ride to.
So likely i'll be cheering the Dees on five minutes in.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

My two 'second teams' playing each other. Grandad was a Melbourne fan so I have to go for them for that reason and also because they've had such a long drought and Lord knows we all understand that agony.

Should be a great game.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The Bulldogs broke their long drought in 2016 so i'll be barracking for Richo's club, Melbourne, to win the Grand Final and break their long drought.

If Melbourne do win the Saints can inherit another "title".

They will become the team with the longest drought since their last flag, their only one.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Banger9798 wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 7:05pm Got to hand it to the Doggies....incredible effort to destroy Port after all their adversities.

Don't mind who wins, happy for both sides....when the f*** is our turn!?
Yeah mate when is it our turn I think we have a list that with a bit of tweaking , good recruitment & a good run with injury can be competitive but probably not flag contenders in the next few years but still hoping :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I fear the Dogs will win. Aside from being very talented, Bevo has them absolutely primed. They were irresistible last night. Plus they tend to get a dream run from the umpires. That is well established and born out by the stats.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 8:10pm I fear the Dogs will win. Aside from being very talented, Bevo has them absolutely primed. They were irresistible last night. Plus they tend to get a dream run from the umpires. That is well established and born out by the stats.
They've had a good run with the umps but last night it went the other way. Port would have needed another 26 frees to stop them.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 8:14pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 8:10pm I fear the Dogs will win. Aside from being very talented, Bevo has them absolutely primed. They were irresistible last night. Plus they tend to get a dream run from the umpires. That is well established and born out by the stats.
They've had a good run with the umps but last night it went the other way. Port would have needed another 26 frees to stop them.
Yes, well the umpires don’t have much impact in a shellacking like that, but can make all the difference in a tight game. I guess the difference to 2016 is that the Dogs aren’t sentimental favourites this time. Let’s hope it is well-officiated and the umpires don’t affect the result.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think at one stage they had 30 entries and had 12.8 on the board in a relentless all out attack.
Ports back half are usually stingy, if they can repeat that against Melbourne that game will be over at half time too.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I don’t care who wins. I’ll probably watch until the result is certain but turn off before any celebrations start.

I find it the saddest day of the year.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Saintly66
Club Player

Hopefully the dogs by the length of the straight at Flemington.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Bulldogs were more impressive but it's a flip of the coin. There could be less than a kick in it.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne will have 25 players to play against

So it’s gonna be tough for them!!!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I feel like the bye is killing my interest in it by the hour. It’s like opening the blinds too early, and the light comes in.

That said, didn’t Melbourne beat them pretty easily a few weeks back? I know the same could be said about the Geelong and Melbourne equation (Cats we’re killing them three weeks ago)..

So I am going with Melbourne to win unless May is hobbling, and maybe even if he is. Max Gawn cannot have another surreal five goal haul or just slap it on the boot from outside 50 and watch it sail through, but he’s gonna be all over English. Both teams don’t have a sure and confident forward set up, but both have great on ballers and maybe Melbourne is batter set up? Both teams had their rainy patches in the season, and the Bullies had theirs at etc seasons end.

Prefer the Bulldogs to win, slightly.
Tough ti choose.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!