Matt Rendall talks about the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Matt Rendall talks about the saints

From the age.com.au

"10. ST KILDA

Was the season a success?
(5th in 2020) 10 wins, 12 losses in 2021
St Kilda had a really disappointing season after looking as if they might challenge after an excellent 2020. My information is that they had a poor pre-season, allocating a lot of time to strategy and tactics at the expense of strength and conditioning. Players who were on top of the ground and running hard last year were nowhere near that level in 2021. They had an exciting brand of “take the game on, run and gun” and hit the top of the square using their fleet-of-foot, deep group of smaller runners and put massive forward pressure on opposition defences. They weren’t even close to that brand his year. I’ve seen this error made numerous times over my time in football, and it astounds me it still happens. That they still nearly made the finals is testament to a very good and experienced playing list and the loss of, in particular, Jade Gresham and Ben Paton for the whole year and Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Webster and Hunter Clark for large chunks of the season. Highly paid players Brad Hill and Dan Hannebery had very disappointing seasons with the latter unlikely to be at St Kilda next year after only appearing late in the season.
\

They found some good players, though: promising midfielder Ryan Byrnes, Cooper Sharman as a hybrid forward, intercept defender Tom Highmore and lockdown defender Callum Wilkie. A special mention goes to Jack Steele, All-Australian midfielder. The combination of Ryder and Rohan Marshall as ruck/forwards is crucial to the success of this team, and that didn’t happen often enough in 2021.

What needs to happen during the off-season?
Jack Lonie, Luke Dunstan, Seb Ross and Josh Battle should go into the trade pool. They are all good players but could find a home where they can receive more opportunities. They are unlikely to bring more than third-round selections. Jack Billings is an interesting case as he was a high draft pick (No. 3 in 2013) and struggled this year. St Kilda might put him on the trade table but at best he’s going to attract a late first-round selection. The Saints need another gun key back and Daniel Talia should be on their radar. If Hannebery and Jake Carlisle are gone they should have some money to spend. Their best 25 looks well-balanced and is capable of challenging again next year with a good pre-season. Paton and Gresham returning adds real speed and football smarts to this team.

How should they approach the November draft? (Picks 9, 46, 64)
St Kilda have pick nine in the draft, which will effectively become 11. If Talia decides to go elsewhere they need to use that selection on a key back. Josh Gibcus is the best key back in the draft but highly likely to be gone by 11. So a leap of faith is required in selecting Josh Sinn or Campbell Chesser. Why? Because neither would have played more than five games over the past two seasons. Both are Sandringham Dragon players, although Chesser is from the country on scholarship in Melbourne. Both had serious injuries this year but on my observations from the under-16 games in 2019, they could have gone in the top five. Lack of games will mean both will spill to around pick 11, and, again, I would suggest judging them on their best - and their best in the under 16s was great.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Rendall talks about the saints

No good making excuses- it was an ordinary result this season, so Rendall does have a few valid points. We need to do a whole lot better obviously in 2022.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

He is talking like Hannebery is almost out the door I thought he was contracted for another year & he was taking a pay cut to stay?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Matt Rendell wrote: Fri 10 Sep 2021 1:31pm That they still nearly made the finals is testament to a very good and experienced playing list and the loss of, in particular, Jade Gresham and Ben Paton for the whole year and Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Webster and Hunter Clark for large chunks of the season. Highly paid players Brad Hill and Dan Hannebery had very disappointing seasons with the latter unlikely to be at St Kilda next year after only appearing late in the season.
Webster played 20 games this season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 10 Sep 2021 2:00pm
Matt Rendell wrote: Fri 10 Sep 2021 1:31pm That they still nearly made the finals is testament to a very good and experienced playing list and the loss of, in particular, Jade Gresham and Ben Paton for the whole year and Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Webster and Hunter Clark for large chunks of the season. Highly paid players Brad Hill and Dan Hannebery had very disappointing seasons with the latter unlikely to be at St Kilda next year after only appearing late in the season.
Webster played 20 games this season.
Yeah, he has a few things wrong but he does confirm what a couple on here have posted about the reasons for our poor early form.

lewdogs
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 10 Sep 2021 1:56pm He is talking like Hannebery is almost out the door I thought he was contracted for another year & he was taking a pay cut to stay?
Yes that part of the article suggests he wrote it in about 5 mins on his phone while taking a dump.

Sanctorum
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 10 Sep 2021 1:56pm He is talking like Hannebery is almost out the door I thought he was contracted for another year & he was taking a pay cut to stay?
I noticed that too, maybe Rendell has let the cat out of the bag - he is talking as though Hannebery is going to retire because if the club delists him his salary for the balance of his contract will be included in the cap.

It wouldn't surprise me if he does especially if he feels his legs aren't going to enable him to play at top level, it would be the right thing to do for the club.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

That we 'almost made the finals' is kind of open to misinterpretion and hype.

We were only in contention in the end due to an incredible stroke of fortune due to other results. We were categorically 'out of contention based on our own performances way before that...But still, incredibly, we were statistically a possibilty.

We were crappy, crap crap all season IMO. It is a good article and I agree with most of his points. Hill was very decent in the second half of the season. And so it confirms what we were all thinking. We were unfit. So now we can expect a hard running summer. Will the ex-Sydney boys have truckloads of ice delivered to Moorabbin?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Matt Rendell drinks too much piss!

Or head knocks have taken a toll?!

lewdogs
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 10 Sep 2021 3:50pm
I noticed that too, maybe Rendell has let the cat out of the bag - he is talking as though Hannebery is going to retire because if the club delists him his salary for the balance of his contract will be included in the cap.

It wouldn't surprise me if he does especially if he feels his legs aren't going to enable him to play at top level, it would be the right thing to do for the club.
Not going to happen. What's much more likely is that Rendell didn't really check on his contract status. Also said we should put Dunstan on the trade table. Only problem is he's a free agent and can go wherever he likes.