Hayden McLean?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hayden McLean?

Good

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SYDNEY has fought off rival interest to lock away emerging talents Dylan Stephens and Hayden McLean.
Defenders Robbie Fox and Will Gould have also agreed to contract extensions.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Dunt dunt dunt another one bites the dust & another one gone & another gone another one bites the dust . Younger people might struggle but I hope some of you old bastards know the song

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Surplus to requirements. Forward line pretty much allocated. Josh Battle more versatile and in situ.

Swans need back up for a rapidly aging Buddy. Still brilliant in patches but they are starting to have more frequent interruptions to service, so Sydney would have had to pay more than it wanted for Hayden because he was sort of in demand.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 11:52pm Dunt dunt dunt another one bites the dust & another one gone & another gone another one bites the dust . Younger people might struggle but I hope some of you old bastards know the song
I even learnt it on bass guitar. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 18 Sep 2021 12:05am
bangaulegend wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 11:52pm Dunt dunt dunt another one bites the dust & another one gone & another gone another one bites the dust . Younger people might struggle but I hope some of you old bastards know the song
I even learnt it on bass guitar. :lol:
Well done mate that's a kick arse bass riff :D

Saints58
Club Player

Yes unfortinaly I do by Queen gee showing my age!

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Saints58 wrote: Sat 18 Sep 2021 1:34pm
Yes unfortinaly I do by Queen gee showing my age!
Well done mate :wink: welcome to the old bastard's club :D

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Sun 05 Sep 2021 12:05am
B.M wrote: Fri 03 Sep 2021 9:22am Draper was clearly a ruckman (with potential)

McLean is not a ruckman or a KP forward
He is an undersized part time ruckman and a back up tall forward

He is like an all rounder that is handy at both but not good enough at either
Mitchell Marsh
McClean is 21, still could be anything. Was best first year player at Sandy and got drafted by the swans in a year when you thought he didn't show anything.

Leigh Brown, Zayne Cordy, Jordan Roughead, all say high with there premiership medallions. What where they great at? Plenty of other premiership players who were all rounders.
Good call TB.

Sydney have liked him enough to give him another 4 years. Opportunities and faith in young key position players can work wonders.

Let's hope we afford one or both of Adams and Van Es the opportunity. I doubt Sandy is the best place for kids to develop but it's all we have for the moment.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I can’t see that he’s the type of player we urgently need. I know many people on here are obsessed with getting second ruckmen, but I thought Marshall went just fine as sole ruckman this year.

If we are going to get another ruckman, let’s get a real one like Grundy, not another forward who can do a bit of rucking.

BTW, we haven’t only got Heath up our sleeve but Keeler as well, who already looks better than this bloke. Caminiti goes pretty well too.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I can’t see that he’s the type of player we urgently need. I know many people on here are obsessed with getting second ruckmen, but I thought Marshall went just fine as sole ruckman this year.

If we are going to get another ruckman, let’s get a real one like Grundy, not another forward who can do a bit of rucking.

BTW, we haven’t only got Heath up our sleeve but Keeler as well, who already looks better than this bloke. Caminiti goes pretty well too.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We need mids not more talls who play forward. We’ve got King, Caminiti, Hayes, Sharman, Heath and Keeler. More than enough to be going on with. If they’re all fit, McLean could even struggle to get a game at Sandy.

If we’re looking for someone who can do a bit of rucking, let’s go for a quality tap ruckman, not another forward who can do a bit of ruck work.

- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Thu 31 Aug 2023 3:02am We need mids not more talls who play forward. We’ve got King, Caminiti, Hayes, Sharman, Heath and Keeler. More than enough to be going on with. If they’re all fit, McLean could even struggle to get a game at Sandy.

If we’re looking for someone who can do a bit of rucking, let’s go for a quality tap ruckman, not another forward who can do a bit of ruck work.
It was never about that MB, I agree, I'm happy with our current players. It was more about a thread, allegedly bookmarked, that did not rate larger framed players plying their trade at Sandy and whether worthy of an AFL opportunity.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BUMP

Always thought this bloke would make it but hats off to Sydney for their footy development

This thread started in 2021. GL below is giving us stats for McLean from 2021.
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 02 Sep 2021 12:29pm Let's be fair, he's improving every year on all his stats.

Plus his best game, that happened this year, was very good. 18 disposals, 10 marks (6 contested), 4 goals & 11 hitouts.

All very good & very promising for a big man who's only played 21 games.

2019 - 4 games
2020 - 6 games
2021 - 11 games

Certainly better than Hunter & would allow Heath the freedom to develop in time.