Battle 'testing the waters'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle 'testing the waters'

For me he played his best footy as a 3rd tall intercept defender.

Problem is we have at least 3 more of them
We have to make some hard decisions on our list and move on the same players and recruit the missing ones

We have had too many half backs for years but not enough pure kids

We have had too many medium/tall intercept defenders but not enough pure tall lockdowns

We have had a lot of inside mids and not enough outside classy mids

We have had too many mid tall forwards membrey sharman battle and not enough pure tall more imbalance

Not saying it’s easy but we have to sort our list imbalance

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 8:29am
st.byron wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 7:50am
repta wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 7:45pm He is just suffering the second / third year blues

Would be the biggest mistake StKilda could make.
Build his tank and he becomes a great swingman

Very versatile. Had a bad year, but there is huge potential upside
Yep agree. Keep.
I get worried when we've put 50 odd games into a player and in the middle of an injury prone year like we've had, he gets dropped.

If we can get something then make it happen, I don't want to be watching him have 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th year blues.
I tend to agree however I would be as confused as anybody if we don't see value in Battle but do see value in Clav who has had 6 years to establish his AFL capabilities.

It would also be concerning to to cut Battle based on the incredibly small sample size given by Cooper.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Decisions have to be made & in the case of Ross & Battle, they may be out of our hands (with the Club's blessing).

We cannot keep everyone on a "what if" or "maybe" basis, the lists are capped and our list needs to get better.

Clav is on our rookie list, I believe he's taller and a genuine backline KPP. He never had a good run with injury until this year. We are too short in the back half and Clav, to me, has shown enough to at least maintain his rookie position.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Clavarino on the list 6 years??

Gonna check that

4 years
Thought so!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 2:58pm Clavarino on the list 6 years??

Gonna check that

4 years
Thought so!
Correct drafted in 2017 - So 2018 - 2021 - 4 years

And - significant injuries / COVID hampered development as well - he is not a 4 year VFL player

The Haileybury recruit was cut down with a syndesmosis injury in the Saints’ intra-club match in February 2019 after a promising pre-season, before going on to play 14 matches for Sandringham in the VFL to close out the year.

Then Hamstring Issues hampered his return before he debuted in July 2020??

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm convinced Battle was suffering from injury and a loss of confidence this year. He was on the tram tracks - couldn't turn, had no pace, seemed lost in the game (except against Richmond).

With that said, he basically has the same physical specifications (193, 89kg) as Jack Darling (191 cm, 95 kg). Darling was 87kg at the same age - and look at the presence Darling has in attack.

Darling, too, took a while to get going but once he did, he was a genuine power forward. I really believe he could be that for us. I'm a big Battle fan despite the major decline this year. I really am worried that having put all this work into him, he will flourish elsewhere and we'll get scant compensation - maybe pick 25-35 / future 2nd rounder - for him at best.

However, there are some concerns about his body, and he's had a couple of concussions now that have had a major impact on his preparation and his willingness to compete. He's had major head trauma in recent years - fracturing his face last year against Port Adelaide being the most visible incident.

I genuinely hope we don't trade him, and I hope he has a ripping pre-season. That would really set him up to join Max in attack, freeing Membrey up for that roaming role he clearly enjoys. But I'm not sure the coaching staff see it the same way. I have a feeling they're concerned about where another concussion could leave him and will likely entertain a trade on the grounds that "we won't stand in the way of those seeking opportunity" or words to that effect.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s slow and lacks agility and is poor below his knees

I thought Darling was very good in his first season?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 3:12pm I'm convinced Battle was suffering from injury and a loss of confidence this year. He was on the tram tracks - couldn't turn, had no pace, seemed lost in the game (except against Richmond).

With that said, he basically has the same physical specifications (193, 89kg) as Jack Darling (191 cm, 95 kg). Darling was 87kg at the same age - and look at the presence Darling has in attack.

Darling, too, took a while to get going but once he did, he was a genuine power forward. I really believe he could be that for us. I'm a big Battle fan despite the major decline this year. I really am worried that having put all this work into him, he will flourish elsewhere and we'll get scant compensation - maybe pick 25-35 / future 2nd rounder - for him at best.

However, there are some concerns about his body, and he's had a couple of concussions now that have had a major impact on his preparation and his willingness to compete. He's had major head trauma in recent years - fracturing his face last year against Port Adelaide being the most visible incident.

I genuinely hope we don't trade him, and I hope he has a ripping pre-season. That would really set him up to join Max in attack, freeing Membrey up for that roaming role he clearly enjoys. But I'm not sure the coaching staff see it the same way. I have a feeling they're concerned about where another concussion could leave him and will likely entertain a trade on the grounds that "we won't stand in the way of those seeking opportunity" or words to that effect.
Nice post efc. I like the comparison with Darling. I think the worrying aspect is ALL the work that's gone into him, yet here we are.

Sadly he's owned those tram tracks nearly as much as the 64 to Brighton East.

You may well be right in that he does flourish at another club, unfortunately his couple of very good games with us appear to be the exception, not the rule.

Ironically he & Clav were the dominant pair in their school boy team. Battle with an extra year in the AFL.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Needs to play either FF or CHB with his lack of agility

saynta
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 3:12pm I'm convinced Battle was suffering from injury and a loss of confidence this year. He was on the tram tracks - couldn't turn, had no pace, seemed lost in the game (except against Richmond).

His head injuries are a worry.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 3:35pm

Nice post efc. I like the comparison with Darling. I think the worrying aspect is ALL the work that's gone into him, yet here we are.

Sadly he's owned those tram tracks nearly as much as the 64 to Brighton East.

You may well be right in that he does flourish at another club, unfortunately his couple of very good games with us appear to be the exception, not the rule.

Ironically he & Clav were the dominant pair in their school boy team. Battle with an extra year in the AFL.
Everton,

Look at McCartin..
I think the honchos are thinking, “We cannot afford to be ‘nice’ if we are to be competitive”…I say knowing I am sometimes as wet and handily taken advantage of for it.l ……Please St Kilda, don’t do another McCartin..and ‘give him another chance’, if indeed, we have rationally deemed him to be a liability even if that, unfortunately, means he was concussed and is ‘damaged goods’…

Now of course, he is loved, has a great name and I’d love to keep him. But as others say he is behind even Wood as a forward.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
aaron82
Club Player

Comparing Darling to Josh Battle is akin to the comparison of a Holden to a Datsun 121.

After 2 years in the system Darling had kicked 77 career goals before the age of 21. He was an extremely good player from a young age and still remains that way.

Apart from being a similar height, Battle isn’t elite in any facet of the game. He is tough, a reasonable kick but is poor when the ball hits the deck. We all hope he will be a good player, injuries haven’t helped but I’m not certain he is in the best 22.

I hope he plays the final year of his contract and we but it’s extremely likely he is just a GOP

and that's the bottom line
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

Absolutely agree with the perspective you have on Battle, Evertonfc. He has failed to meet the standard that many of us thought. But that can't be all on him. The tag of 'swingman' has proved a heavy burden, and I think the constant change in roles has been a significant mistake. His junior days were as a strong forward, but in their wisdom our coaches saw him filling a hole in our injury-riddled defence. And he did a good job.
Since then he has been the most unsettled player on the list, moving from back, to forward with time also spent pinch-hitting in the ruck.
I think it'd be an awful decision to let him go. After all, not many KP players dominate the game at 22. There is so little to gain in a trade and potentially a lot to lose.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he has contested less than 10 ruck contests in 5 years

The swingman thing is over done, it’s not like one quarter he’s here, the next he’s there… or even game to game…

He played most of his first two seasons as a forward

The a season as a CHB (his best)

Last two seasons deployed Fwd/Wing

He can’t nail down a spot because he hasn’t dominated anywhere yet?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

It's too bad for the Saints that Battle isn't their Darling.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Who am I x 2
Player A
1. Listed on club website as midfielder
2. early 20s
3. 193cm
4. 92kg
played 56 games
testing the waters near Pt Phillip Bay
Player B
1. Listed on club website as midfielder
2. early 20s
3.189cm
4. 91kg
played 100games
pushed into the deep end near Indian Ocean

Both have played/play for Saint Kilda.

How can you have stats like that and be expendable. Yes Blake, how?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 1:16am
Teflon wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 12:10am Hawks would be good at supporting Kosi
Lions too - lost Hipwood for 22 so a Battle up forward to assist Daniher et al while they’re in the window..,
He’s played forward/back now wing ....players that versatile don’t come on the market all the time
Lions have 2 late first picks?? 18-19ish???
I’d want nothing less than that
We’ve put 50 games into him , he’s contracted so we hold the cards
Pay up gang!!
You wont get ANY first round picks for a GOP, be lucky to get a 2nd round pick. Battle hasn't proved himself in his time at the Saints.
Battle will be worth whatever the need the side that takes him has ...
He’s a good swing man has held KP before abs is versatile with 50 games now and arguably approaching his prime
He’s also contracted
To us at best he’s a second
Doesn’t mean that’s where we start ...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 6:43pm I reckon he has contested less than 10 ruck contests in 5 years

The swingman thing is over done, it’s not like one quarter he’s here, the next he’s there… or even game to game…

True
His best position is arguably as thst second/third tall forward option
With King Membrey abs now Sharman he may struggle to get a go there smart to ask the question
That said....if Membrey went down....I think Battle could slot in nicely
The backline looks to have past him with Highmore Coffield Wilkie etc down there

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 11:42pm
B.M wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 6:43pm I reckon he has contested less than 10 ruck contests in 5 years

True
His best position is arguably as thst second/third tall forward option
With King Membrey abs now Sharman he may struggle to get a go there smart to ask the question
That said....if Membrey went down....I think Battle could slot in nicely
The backline looks to have past him with Highmore Coffield Wilkie etc down there
Our ‘big or bigger forwards’ based on their relevance to winning the game based on august 27th, 2021

1. King
2. Sharman
3. Marshall/Paddy resting from ruck duties
4. Membrey
5. Wood
6. Battle

Then, we need room for,

7. Higgins
8. Butler

And a potential newcomer…who is to say that Highmore or Connolly could not be a forward…

So…

My guess….Wood as spare at Sandy for Sharman and Kent will go on..(Ratts loves him) as the Higgins/Butler spare.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
groupie1
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 5:31pm He's 22 years old. Madness to get rid of him. What happens next year if we lose one or two key defenders or key forwards to injury?
Yeah... I kinda agree. He remains a player with a lot of unfulfilled potential... personally, I like him down back.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
silverhalo
Club Player

I would not let Josh Battle go....he played with injury this year and possibly looked slower due to that. He can be very very good and worth persisting with IMO

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What injury did he PLAY with??

He got injured

Why would he play with an injury

Why all the support for Battle, he is an underwhelming player.

Just because we want him to be good, doesn’t make him good. He’s achieved FA

Sanctorum
Club Player

It remains to be see what the St Kilda list management team is planning to improve the list for 2022 - there's every chance that they will look at Josh Battle as a bargaining chip (like Blake Acres in the trade with Freo for Bradley Hill) in order to bring a gun midfielder, experienced ruckman, KPP to play for the Saints in 2022.

Most of us liked Blake Acres and always thought he would take the next step, just as we now feel that way about Josh Battle, but Acres has not exactly set the world on fire at Freo, and regrettably the same may be in store for Battle.

Nonetheless I would much rather he remain with St Kilda and have a blinder next year!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

In what position

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

His best is still ahead of him. Has struggled to he given a regular role to develop. Would hate to see him go and turn into an excellent player at another club