Battle 'testing the waters'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wally
Club Player

Re: Battle 'testing the waters'

He did the job at CHB for a while ago I don’t understand why he wasn’t played there more this year.Surely the job of coaches is to improve players.

older saint
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 9:15pm Seems the water was tepid at best. Perhaps this is a reason Clav got chopped because Battle wasn't going anywhere.

Battle has one year left & appears our back-up for the backline, forwardline, ruck. I cannot see wing as an option, at all.
Clav got chopped, must have missed it?

older saint
SS Life Member

Still like the idea of Battle for Narkle. Battle is excess to what we currently have and he is better than Rat for Geelong and Narkle is the type of player we need and hasn't been given a go by the retirement village

Sanctorum
Club Player

I have long advocated for Josh Battle to undergo intensive training to play midfield, much like Fyfe, Bontempelli and Pendlebury all of whom are similar size. He is considered to have a tank and his disposal skills are OK, he has a lot of natural aggression in his attack on the ball and can become the midfield enforcer to complement the excellent work of Zak Jones at clearances, even ruck when required.

In some ways Josh Battle holds the key to St Kilda's fortunes in 2022 and beyond, at 23 and 54 games he's cherry ripe to take the next step, make it happen Ratts!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 12:10pm I have long advocated for Josh Battle to undergo intensive training to play midfield, much like Fyfe, Bontempelli and Pendlebury all of whom are similar size. He is considered to have a tank and his disposal skills are OK, he has a lot of natural aggression in his attack on the ball and can become the midfield enforcer to complement the excellent work of Zak Jones at clearances, even ruck when required.

In some ways Josh Battle holds the key to St Kilda's fortunes in 2022 and beyond, at 23 and 54 games he's cherry ripe to take the next step, make it happen Ratts!!
Its all well and good with the coach trying to turn him into a tall midfielder/wingman, but I dont believe Battles sees that as his best position. Even when he played on a wing at Sandringham he didnt dominate or look happy. To get the best out if himself the player has too honestly believe thats his best role, not just play there to get a game and keep the coach happy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 1:04pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 12:10pm I have long advocated for Josh Battle to undergo intensive training to play midfield, much like Fyfe, Bontempelli and Pendlebury all of whom are similar size. He is considered to have a tank and his disposal skills are OK, he has a lot of natural aggression in his attack on the ball and can become the midfield enforcer to complement the excellent work of Zak Jones at clearances, even ruck when required.

Its all well and good with the coach trying to turn him into a tall midfielder/wingman, but I dont believe Battles sees that as his best position. Even when he played on a wing at Sandringham he didnt dominate or look happy. To get the best out if himself the player has too honestly believe thats his best role, not just play there to get a game and keep the coach happy.
I agree with you IS but in this age of "playing a role", isn't that what all players must be prepared to do.

I think the coach and player need to work together to find that player's best position for the team's game plan. Battle is obviously talented but in a Jack of All Trades way, I can't see him mastering any position. He is your quintessential utility.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Battle should be played at CHB and be allowed to settle there.

bergsone
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 1:23pm Battle should be played at CHB and be allowed to settle there.
I agree with Battle being allowed to settle in one place trouble is I reckon Highmore is the preferred chb .But still think we are short on tall backs.Cant see him in front of Howard,Wilke,Highmore so does he stick around or leave to get senior chance elsewhere

PS i hope he stays

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Are we watching the same game?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 4:09pm I agree with Battle being allowed to settle in one place trouble is I reckon Highmore is the preferred chb .But still think we are short on tall backs.Cant see him in front of Howard,Wilke,Highmore so does he stick around or leave to get senior chance elsewhere

PS i hope he stays
It sounds like Battle is staying. He's got a year left to run, so my guess is he gets moved back and competes with the likes of Highmore, Joyce and maybe even Coffield for game time. Sharman's emergence means he's unlikely to get much time up forward. We probably have too many better options on the wing, particularly after McKenzie's season.

You're probably right about him being on the outside looking in heading into preseason. There will be injuries, though. He probably not best-22 at this point, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play a lot of games, if only because he can be used in so many different places.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saynta
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 11:06pm
bergsone wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 4:09pm I agree with Battle being allowed to settle in one place trouble is I reckon Highmore is the preferred chb .But still think we are short on tall backs.Cant see him in front of Howard,Wilke,Highmore so does he stick around or leave to get senior chance elsewhere

PS i hope he stays
It sounds like Battle is staying. He's got a year left to run, so my guess is he gets moved back and competes with the likes of Highmore, Joyce and maybe even Coffield for game time. Sharman's emergence means he's unlikely to get much time up forward. We probably have too many better options on the wing, particularly after McKenzie's season.

You're probably right about him being on the outside looking in heading into preseason. There will be injuries, though. He probably not best-22 at this point, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't play a lot of games, if only because he can be used in so many different places.
Good post with sound comments.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Highmore has shown a lot more behind the footy

Likewise Sharman has looked better in front of it

And both will be better next season!