Battle 'testing the waters'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Battle 'testing the waters'

Looks like he might be keen to move on, as reported on the AFL website.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle 'testing the waters'

He's contracted for 2022 so it will have to be a trade, is he worth a 2nd round pick ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'm concerned losing Battle could be more of a regret than losing Hind.

From all accounts Ratts sees him as part of the future so maybe it's about his manager ensuring Ratts shows some more love in 2022.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He's worth a 3rd rounder. Let him go. I prefer Clavarino. He's a better mark and kick.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's a much better player than Clavarino, easily. Wouldn't want to lose him

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Nothing story. All players and their managers ask around to make sure they are getting a good deal. Battle will be a surprise exit but we would something good in return

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 11:16am He's a much better player than Clavarino, easily. Wouldn't want to lose him
Maybe not in the future. He's slow of mind and slow of foot

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Crickey!!! No disrespect to anyone but Clav and Battle are miles apart. I'll be thoroughly expecting Clav to be cut in the coming days if not today, if he isn't then Ratts better have guaranteed him every game going forward because he's been on the list way to long to persist with beyond 6 years on a list.
Last edited by Vortex on Thu 26 Aug 2021 11:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He can be more than covered simply because he's never taken a position by the throat. Has been the proverbial Jack of all trades. Examples, we know Sharman's & Highmore's positions after a very short look. 50 odd games in & we would not find a consensus here on Battle's best position.

Is expendable in my opinion plus another club will see real value in him. Needs a change, good for him & the club.

I'm not convinced Ratts rates him to be honest.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

GL has kind of beaten me to it but where would would play him?
Assuming we get a CHB, he’s not in my preferred backs, forwards or mids

Don’t know who we have in mind, if anyone but seems like the smart thing to do is package him up

saynta
Saintsational Legend

from afl.com.au

"Geelong's Cam Guthrie, St Kilda's Seb Ross and Sydney's Luke Parker headline the remaining unrestricted free agents currently out of contract for 2022.

Guthrie is closing in on a fresh deal, Ross has been recently surveying his options, while Parker and the Swans have been some distance apart on the length of contract up for grabs in the Harbour City.

Elsewhere, West Coast's Josh Kennedy is keen to play on but is yet to be offered a deal, while, as reported by AFL.com.au, Grant Birchall is in preliminary talks with Brisbane on the possibility of a 2022 contract.

Western Bulldogs vice-captain Mitch Wallis is assessing the market after being restricted to just six games this season.

Luke Dunstan has mutually agreed to part ways with the Saints, while Fremantle's Lachie Schultz remains in contract negotiations with the Dockers despite interest from Hawthorn.

Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide), Matt Parker (Richmond), Mitch Robinson (Brisbane), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Jake Kelly (Adelaide), Robbie Tarrant (North Melbourne), Jamaine Jones (West Coast) and Dylan Moore (Hawthorn) are all set to extend their stays.

Restricted free agents Jack Billings (St Kilda) and Matt Crouch (Adelaide) have offers to stay, while George Hewett(Sydney) has received interest from Carlton. – Mitch Cleary
COULD SAINTS TALL LAND ELSEWHERE?

CLUBS believe contracted St Kilda swingman Josh Battle could be up for grabs this off-season after having his name raised in recent trade talks.

AFL.com.au understands Battle's management has tested the waters with several clubs to gauge interest in the 22-year-old.

Battle played the first 14 matches of the season before he was relegated to sub duties for two weeks, only for a season-ending foot injury to emerge at training.

He signed a two-year deal last August until the end of 2022 and any move would require the Saints agreeing to a trade.

10:25 Mins
Published 16 hrs ago
The Saint in limbo, Pies targets, best Talia landing place

Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary answer trade questions live on the AFL's official Facebook page

Battle completed his exit interview at the Saints in recent days where it's understood no talk of a breaking his contract were discussed with the club.

Already fighting for his position in the second half of the season, Battle's round one hopes at St Kilda next year would appear only harder given the emergence of talls Cooper Sharman (forward) and Tom Highmore (back) to finish the campaign.

The 193cm Battle has played 56 games for the Saints split between attack and defence since being selected with pick No.39 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft. – Mitch Cleary
FREE AGENT WEIGHS UP OFFER

JACK Billings has a four-year contract offer in front of him from St Kilda as the restricted free agent considers his future.

The 26-year-old midfielder is viewed as more likely to remain with the club that he has played 144 games for since joining at the end of 2013.

The deal put forward by the Saints would tie Billings to the club until the end of 2025, when he will be 30.

Billings endured some injury setbacks this season, playing through a plantar fascia foot injury and then finishing his campaign on the sidelines with a hamstring strain.

He remains a key player for the club as a versatile wingman/half-forward who can hit the scoreboard and averaged 20 disposals this year.

Unrestricted free agent Seb Ross remains unsigned for next year while the club will not offer midfielder Luke Dunstan a new deal despite his rise in form across the second half of the season." – Callum Twomey

saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 11:11am He's worth a 3rd rounder. Let him go. I prefer Clavarino. He's a better mark and kick.
They may have changed their minds after his last game, but Oscar was on the way out.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I said I prefer Clavarino. Battle is just a plodder.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think he'll go somewhere else and be quite good. The problem for him at the Saints is our coaching staff don't know how/where to use him.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I rate Battle just for his hardness and wouldnt like to lose him. But I think he is reading between the lines as to where he fits into the side going forward? He obviously feels there are players in front of him and didnt like getting thrown all over the place. He is contracted so we hold the trade leverage, if he is let go we can garuntee the club will have their reasons.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The emergence of Highmore and Sharman would have a lot to do with him looking elsewhere

He can see the writing on the wall

bakes
Club Player

He was a forward as a junior .

I think with a solid pre-season training specifically with the forward line group, he would be very very good.

If he gets traded away, he’ll go to another team and play full forward and kick 40+ goals a year.

So that we don’t lose him, I’d consider pushing Membrey up to the wing and leaving the 3 forwards as: Battle, Sharman, King .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bakes wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 2:57pm He was a forward as a junior .

I think with a solid pre-season training specifically with the forward line group, he would be very very good.

If he gets traded away, he’ll go to another team and play full forward and kick 40+ goals a year.

So that we don’t lose him, I’d consider pushing Membrey up to the wing and leaving the 3 forwards as: Battle, Sharman, King .
Not a bad suggestion. Has real merit.

older saint
SS Life Member

Battle 10 years ago was KPP at 193 , now he is a Tweener. Has a big tank but not quick. Strong over head but not great below knees,
Problem is at St.Kilda doesn't have a position . Was played on wing but got exposed this year with clubs putting a quick wingman against him and getting found out.

Would be a good 2nd or 3rd forward at most clubs but behind Membrey and Marshall . Perhaps the ruck forward option however with Ryder there no room .

I saw Narkle mentioned somewhere- that is a player type we dont have. Sometimes a trade can be a win/win. Battle more runs on the board, but Narkle more upside.

I see Battle as the modern Jason Blake utility .Happy to keep just dont know where he fits and having to move something that works reasonably well to fit him doesn't make sense to me

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I realise Battle is loved and Wood is not, but right now, if both were in ‘tip-top’ condition and if you’re were forced to play only one of them as a third or fourth forward, which would it be, and why?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

To be honest, he'll be of interest to a few big Melbourne clubs.

Collingwood (Mayne retiring, Mihocek needs a lot of help, Their American experiment is also a failure)
Richmond (Jack's last year, they need a lead up forward)
Geelong (as B.M. said, Hawkins finishing up & in need of a lead up forward)
Western Bulldogs, they love a utility in Doggie Land. Naughton needs a foil. He's better than Schache.

Add...

Gold Coast, fits their list profile in games & age.
North, Larkey needs help.
Adelaide, Tex is finished. Fits their list profile.

Good luck to him, the better luck he has, the better luck we have.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 3:34pm I realise Battle is loved and Wood is not, but right now, if both were in ‘tip-top’ condition and if you’re were forced to play only one of them as a third or fourth forward, which would it be, and why?
Wood, cheaper & a better fit with a point to prove. Keeping Wood is cover for all of what Battle & Kent both offer.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

I really rate Battle, had a bad year this year, but I think he could be a very solid player.
I would want a second round pick minimum for him given he is still young, but has 50 games into him
Hawthorn or Pies would take him and settle him into one position where he will shine (whether forward or defender)

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 3:41pm To be honest, he'll be of interest to a few big Melbourne clubs.

Collingwood (Mayne retiring, Mihocek needs a lot of help, Their American experiment is also a failure)
Richmond (Jack's last year, they need a lead up forward)
Geelong (as B.M. said, Hawkins finishing up & in need of a lead up forward)
Western Bulldogs, they love a utility in Doggie Land. Naughton needs a foil. He's better than Schache.

Add...

Gold Coast, fits their list profile in games & age.
North, Larkey needs help.
Adelaide, Tex is finished. Fits their list profile.

Good luck to him, the better luck he has, the better luck we have.
I don't agree that there will be much interest to one of the big clubs.
Don't get me wrong I like him as a player but he is a player out of time, he would have been good in the 80s and 90s.

He is not a key forward as you either need to be a physical beast or have great leading speed.
He is strong and brave and can play a physical game but he is not big enough to be that pack busting forward.
He has a great tank but is also way too slow and has the turning circle of the Queen Mary.
He is a third tall forward or back and unfortunately needs more strings to his bow to be really damaging.
He may get a gig at a lower rung club but I can't see one of the top clubs going in for him.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's 22 years old. Madness to get rid of him. What happens next year if we lose one or two key defenders or key forwards to injury?