Nick Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Coffield

I don't know when he's ever been over rated, certainly not on this site. I remember some calling for Naughton but he was a key back in the draft & without doubt if that draft was redone, Naughton would be in front.

I'm not as pessimistic as some but agree he needs to find some confidence and self belief. He finds both and I believe he's best 22. Let's hope 2022 we see the beginning of the best of Clark, Coffield and Paton.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 9:04pm I don't know when he's ever been over rated, certainly not on this site. I remember some calling for Naughton but he was a key back in the draft & without doubt if that draft was redone, Naughton would be in front.

I'm not as pessimistic as some but agree he needs to find some confidence and self belief. He finds both and I believe he's best 22. Let's hope 2022 we see the beginning of the best of Clark, Coffield and Paton.
I just want us to make sure our top ten calls that are on the money . Paddy is a fail, Billings good player jury still out , Clark has a lot of potential but jury still out & Coffield not saying its a fail but really needs to find something to make it a good choice . It's a tough gig but you really need to get it right especially when you haven't won a Premiership in 60 years IMO anyway

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 11:10pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 9:04pm I don't know when he's ever been over rated, certainly not on this site. I remember some calling for Naughton but he was a key back in the draft & without doubt if that draft was redone, Naughton would be in front.

I just want us to make sure our top ten calls that are on the money . Paddy is a fail, Billings good player jury still out , Clark has a lot of potential but jury still out & Coffield not saying its a fail but really needs to find something to make it a good choice . It's a tough gig but you really need to get it right especially when you haven't won a Premiership in 60 years IMO anyway
I didn't forget King IMO he is already a great call but IMO :wink:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 11:10pm

You are quite right, it's a pity that a Top 10 player is not a guarantee of a B&F winner, a Top 3 Brownlow finish and ideally a Premiership player. It's not the players fault where they get selected, that is on our recruiting staff.

I actually think that draft of Clark, Coffield & Paton was the start of us finally making the correct selections on available players and for our list. All 3 should play 200+ games. All 3 I hope to be part of our 2nd Premiership.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If I had to project

I believe Clark will become a very good player

Paton likewise

Coffield a bit like Acres
Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up elsewhere

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 11 Jan 2022 10:19am If I had to project

Paton likewise

I totally agree. From an outside it appears as if Coffield (like Acres) lacks belief or the drive. Like Acres he seems to mentally drift in games and gets sulky when things don't go his way. Hopefully a change in coaches brings the best out in him.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Coffield and Clark, like most of the young early draft picks picked up by St Kilda have been deprived of quality development in their early years and it shows in the way that they have failed to match the expectations from supporters and commentators. It appears the club has finally addressed this dreadful failure.

I'm quite sure that if Lethlean & Co had acted sooner we would have seen much stronger performances from a raft of players. going back as far as Billings.

Now that the club has picked up a handful of quality players in the 2021 drafts, I'd like to think that we will see some red hot competition for the selectors to build a team that can go deep into finals and perhaps go all the way! And for what it's worth, that should include Nick Coffield...

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I think you are right Sanctorum but other players like - Byrnes, Connolly & Paton seem to have thrived in the same environment. Its the classic that some players require more effort in their development and respond to different motivators. Coffield strikes me as a player that needs a lot of love and needs to be handled carefully to rebuild his belief and confidence.

Clark is in his 4th year and still has no upper body definition whatsoever. I doubt he could even bench 50 kgs, which is simply not good enough. These kids need to be managed to improve on their weaknesses.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I hope that Coffield’s really really hitting the track this off-season. The kid was brought to us as a play maker type and IMO, at his best looks good off a HBF burning off his opponent and delivering the ball with those precise.

The focus shouldn’t be on getting him stronger and making him a third man up, pack marking monster…

He needs to be the fittest player at the club and spend match days running up and down the ground

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully he's a B Goddard slow burn and will step up. Clark and Coffield will both be getting to the age Steele was when he really went from an okay tagger to a gun.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It's settled then. Nick is our new whipping boy.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 10:25am It's settled then. Nick is our new whipping boy.
I dont think he is a 'whipping boy', he is just another young kid who needs some guidance and to work a lot harder on his fitness and the rest will come. He has the tools to become a solid HBF, but I doubt he will ever be able to hold down any other position. He is a victim of the club again believing they could convert HBF into a genuine midfielder, and when you look who came after him it was pretty ordinary drafting.

He may be like Billings & Acres where there are numerous other players taken after him , who are already projecting as a better draft choices than him eg Naughton, Bailey, Higgins, Starcevich, Coleman-Jones, Oscar Allen, Balta, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Daniels, Sam Taylor, De Koning, Fitsch,
McCartin, Worpel & Sam Hayes will be a good ruckman.

Every club needs to absolutely nail their earlier draft picks and in Coffields case the jury is still out.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:34am
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 10:25am It's settled then. Nick is our new whipping boy.
I dont think he is a 'whipping boy', he is just another young kid who needs some guidance and to work a lot harder on his fitness and the rest will come. He has the tools to become a solid HBF, but I doubt he will ever be able to hold down any other position. He is a victim of the club again believing they could convert HBF into a genuine midfielder, and when you look who came after him it was pretty ordinary drafting.

He may be like Billings & Acres where there are numerous other players taken after him , who are already projecting as a better draft choices than him eg Naughton, Bailey, Higgins, Starcevich, Coleman-Jones, Oscar Allen, Balta, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Daniels, Sam Taylor, De Koning, Fitsch,

Every club needs to absolutely nail their earlier draft picks and in Coffields case the jury is still out.
Yep, whipping boy status confirmed,

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:49am

If it makes you feel empowered then 'whipping boy' it is! :D 😀

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:54am

Nothing to do with empowerment just stating that there is an obvious need by some to have a whipping boy and unfortunately poor Nick seems to be the player you guys have settled on. Quite pathetic really.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The final vs the Bulldogs should be the standard Coffield establishes for himself.
He was fantastic, intercept marks , creative and powerful of Half back and Overlap run to the wing to deliver I50s.

For whatever reason that abandoned him in 2021, he is capable of it, and it is up to him and the coaches to recapture it.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 11 Jan 2022 10:19am If I had to project

Paton likewise

He's already better than Acres ever was.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:04pm

Nothing to do with empowerment just stating that there is an obvious need by some to have a whipping boy and unfortunately poor Nick seems to be the player you guys have settled on. Quite pathetic really.
Poor Nick is probably on 300-400k per year. How is wanting more or better from a kid make him a whipping boy? Your constant personal insults to other posters you disagree with are pathetic, as you dont have the intellect to make a case without them.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:36pm

Poor Nick is probably on 300-400k per year. How is wanting more or better from a kid make him a whipping boy? Your constant personal insults to other posters you disagree with are pathetic, as you dont have the intellect to make a case without them.
And you don't call what you posted an insult. I would bet my IQ is double yours.As previously stated, pathetic. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You are the one that indulges in person insults it would seem. There were none in what I posted.

Appears I hit a nerve. As the saying goes, truth hurts.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Nah, I'm a bit of a fan of Coffield. My whipping boy is still Butler ;)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I hope Nick has a big year. Im just not sure what position he will be in and whether he can compete defensively with Battle, Jimmy, Highmore and Wilkie.
For a FRDP, and on his development and exposed form so far, he hasn't got me brimming with confidence.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I can't see the comparison with Acres.
I think Nick has produced more often than Blake ever did.
I admit I was seduced by Blake's glimpses of ability but they proved to be too little too late.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 2:33pm Nah, I'm a bit of a fan of Coffield. My whipping boy is still Butler ;)
:shock: 8-)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:36pm

I don’t think there’s much argument that Coffield’s 2021 wasn’t as good as his 2020 and that we all hope he has had a better season this year than last.
He has the promise and some form to suggest he will be an excellent player but at present, with the improvement of Sinclair, Highmore and Webster + Paton to return, he is at risk of being pushed out of the back 6 of which appears to be his best spot.

Not sure how that can be interpreted as an insult… unless this isn’t about Coffield

aaron82
Club Player

Nick Coffield only 2 seasons ago finished in our top 5 in the b&f. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ste ... 5640w.html

We played finals for the first time in 10 years. Nick Coffield was 21 when he produced this result.

Due to injuries and a poor pre season, he wasn't able to display the same output last season.

The comparison of Coffield to Acres is insulting to the young man, some of the listed players in his draft year from a previous poster have not even come close to a top 10 b&f result as yet.
We need to be patient with Nick and Hunter Clark as well.

If people need reminding how good these 2 players will be, have a look at the final against the bulldogs again. Some serious talent who both struggled last year due to injury

and that's the bottom line