Nick Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Coffield

B.M wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 12:00pm Who would you play between Highmore and Coffield?
Case in point. Everyone was bagging Highmore at the start of the year and look what happened as he got more comfortable.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 12:00pm Who would you play between Highmore and Coffield?
At the end of last season who would you have played?

(facetious question)

My point being, things change in a year for a myriad of reasons we are not privy to. Hence your end of 2021 ratings - how much different were they had you rated them after 2020?

I suspect they'll be different again come the end of 2022. I prefer to have confidence in our kids with obvious talent.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 12:31pm Again though

Where does he fit

Tall 1 - Howard’s
Tall 2 - Wilkie
Tall 3 - Highmore
Small Lock down - Paton/Webster
Running back - Sinclair
Running back - Hill/Coffield
Spare - Webster/Coffield/Battle/Clark/

Is he in the best 7

Or does he sit outside??
A side note I don't think Hill will remain in the Backline, he has almost zero defensive ability, and tackling and putting his body in a hole aren't his go. I think he was only put down there to get him out of his form slump.

Expect him to return to the wing at some stage.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I agree that Bradley Hill if he is good form is best deployed on the wing, but he's never reached the levels he was known for before he came to St Kilda. He looked a bit heavier than usual this year plus he's been carrying a dodgy achilleas which would have cramped his style.

With ball in hand heading into the forward 50 there's none better to pinpoint forwards on the lead - if he can recover that form St Kilda will be a real force in 2022.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Hill was moved back this season with success

He is a running back - offensive

Not there to defend

BTW
Wingman need to defend just like HBs - which is very little

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No point starting a new thread when you’re only filling in time with a frivolous and ridiculous post…

………………….

As I am about to do with a video below on Kokk. I reckon he looks a bit like our Coff :wink: :mrgreen: 8-)

Notice the VB t shirt?

As far as our Nick is concerned…Hope Coff has a big year in 2022

gringo
Saintsational Legend

His 2020 started slowly but by the end of the season he was nearly AA quality as a loose intercepting defender. He seems very flat footed and likes to mark and distribute. Highmore is almost a carbon copy of him but has a taller vibe about him and looks a better accountable type of intercept defender. Nick probably needs to reinvent himself as a more mobile player, perhaps develop to play hybrid wing or something. As a junior he seemed to be a more mobile type.

We have a lot of the same type of undersized third talls and are developing Battle and Allison back as well. It's not going to get easier to find a spot with Hill, Paton, Clark (maybe a midfield move), Webster, Battle, Allison, Highmore, Wilkie, Howard, Sinclair, Joyce all looking for a spot in the back six.

We also have a few others like McKenzie, Seb Ross (played some hybrid wing/back flank), Membrey (spare at the end of quarters), Long and Wood (utility tall) who can also drop back and then new recruits.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 12:45pm
Case in point. Everyone was bagging Highmore at the start of the year and look what happened as he got more comfortable.
I thought the recruiters had been sampling a few psychedelics when we recruited Sharman....another speculative third tall. He'd be just about my favourite player right now.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 2:21pm
I thought the recruiters had been sampling a few psychedelics when we recruited Sharman....another speculative third tall. He'd be just about my favourite player right now.
Are you the same Gringo from BF? I see George has struck again - the guy is a control freak and has banned everyone who disagrees with him.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 12:36pm No point starting a new thread when you’re only filling in time with a frivolous and ridiculous post…

………………….

As I am about to do with a video below on Kokk. I reckon he looks a bit like our Coff :wink: :mrgreen: 8-)

Notice the VB t shirt?

As far as our Nick is concerned…Hope Coff has a big year in 2022
Nick is a good player but sometimes he gets a bit kokki.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I hope Sharman will be a CHF and Highmore is a winner too. No. 34s always are. Ask Jack Daniels.

But Coffield and Highmore will probably both play as Paton gets back into the groove. Will HIghmore get second-year blues? He's not young so I don't think so.

Sharman at CHF. Marshall at CHB. We'll be tough to get a handle of.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintbob
SS Life Member

I reckon the real questions is where else can Paton play?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 11:02pm
I hope Sharman will be a CHF and Highmore is a winner too. No. 34s always are. Ask Jack Daniels.

But Coffield and Highmore will probably both play as Paton gets back into the groove. Will HIghmore get second-year blues? He's not young so I don't think so.

I see you're not giving up on Marshall at CHB. :D

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 11:13pm I reckon the real questions is where else can Paton play?
No need for the question in my opinion, if fully recovered he is easily in our Top 3 backmen. Certainly our best small defender. Remember the number one aim of a defender is to be able to lock down on their forward. Paton, I believe can be St Kilda's Nick Smith, an AA & Premiership player as a small defender.

Gershwin
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 11:13pm I reckon the real questions is where else can Paton play?
Good question.
I’d like to see him given a run in the midfield at Sandringham. He played as a mid as a young feller.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Coffield just doesnt inspire confidence, last year he was one who appeared to have put on too much bulk and lost any agility he had. He looked slow and very limited to where he could play (HBF). We have a number of players who he will be competing with, so he will have to improve significantly on last year to cement his place in the side. He is 22 yo - 23 later in the year so if he doesnt show a linear improvement this season, he may find himself as trade bait at seasons end.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Coffield suffered along with many others with poor preparation last year. He is naturally quick but we didn't see that in 2021. He needs to get tougher and more proactive and use his speed to set up play further up the field and be brave enough to intercept mark when the heat is on. He just needs to go for it rather than second guessing himself. Despite his size, in reality he is a small defender who occasionally drifts across to snatch a mark here and there. Unless he's willing to use his natural speed to advantage, take the game on and become a playmaker, his value is questionable against similar players on the list. Highmore, in contrast plays more like a key defender even though he is only 2cm tall than Coffield. With so many guys capable of playing that back flanker role, he'd better put in a massive preseason to give himself every chance of being selected in round one

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 11:28pm

Indeed.

Our good friends over at Big Footy - in contrast to recalsitrant folks at Saintsational, think it's a wonderful idea too! As it seems Marshall did do that role in his younger days.

Of course Riewvolt and Kossie also did it, but Marshall is no Rooey, He's not a dominant leading forward, he is an opportunist drop-in who kicks the odd goal. Which he can still do in a Carlisle like role.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 07 Jan 2022 11:49am
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 06 Jan 2022 11:28pm

Indeed.

Our good friends over at Big Footy - in contrast to recalsitrant folks at Saintsational, think it's a wonderful idea too! As it seems Marshall did do that role in his younger days.

Of course Riewvolt and Kossie also did it, but Marshall is no Rooey, He's not a dominant leading forward, he is an opportunist drop-in who kicks the odd goal. Which he can still do in a Carlisle like role.
Time will tell I guess Shane. 😉

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Liked the last act of the season: a goal saving tackle on Acres when Acres started in position A. Got there and stuck the tackle. He came good, no need to fret.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Coffield needs to back his instincts (and just go!)

He hesitates sometimes

Shows a lack of confidence

You only get self belief when you back yourself and take a risk and have success!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 07 Jan 2022 9:30am
No need for the question in my opinion, if fully recovered he is easily in our Top 3 backmen. Certainly our best small defender. Remember the number one aim of a defender is to be able to lock down on their forward. Paton, I believe can be St Kilda's Nick Smith, an AA & Premiership player as a small defender.
Don’t get me wrong I really like the kid, but I can’t see him taking Jimmy or Sincs position as small defenders.

Saints58
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 07 Jan 2022 11:16am Coffield suffered along with many others with poor preparation last year. He is naturally quick but we didn't see that in 2021. He needs to get tougher and more proactive and use his speed to set up play further up the field and be brave enough to intercept mark when the heat is on. He just needs to go for it rather than second guessing himself. Despite his size, in reality he is a small defender who occasionally drifts across to snatch a mark here and there. Unless he's willing to use his natural speed to advantage, take the game on and become a playmaker, his value is questionable against similar players on the list. Highmore, in contrast plays more like a key defender even though he is only 2cm tall than Coffield. With so many guys capable of playing that back flanker role, he'd better put in a massive preseason to give himself every chance of being selected in round one
Could Coffield play as a mid yes he would have to improve his tank but he has the size and is quick with good disposal could be a real weapon there!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 4:27pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 07 Jan 2022 11:16am Coffield suffered along with many others with poor preparation last year. He is naturally quick but we didn't see that in 2021. He needs to get tougher and more proactive and use his speed to set up play further up the field and be brave enough to intercept mark when the heat is on. He just needs to go for it rather than second guessing himself. Despite his size, in reality he is a small defender who occasionally drifts across to snatch a mark here and there. Unless he's willing to use his natural speed to advantage, take the game on and become a playmaker, his value is questionable against similar players on the list. Highmore, in contrast plays more like a key defender even though he is only 2cm tall than Coffield. With so many guys capable of playing that back flanker role, he'd better put in a massive preseason to give himself every chance of being selected in round one
Could Coffield play as a mid yes he would have to improve his tank but he has the size and is quick with good disposal could be a real weapon there!
Trained with the midfield two / three pre seasons ago.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 4:30pm
Saints58 wrote: Mon 10 Jan 2022 4:27pm
Trained with the midfield two / three pre seasons ago.
I think its fanciful believing he will make a midfielder? I just dont see he has the drive or the tools to play midfield, if we are lucky he will become a solid HBF. IMO he will go down as another over rated Top 10 draft pick, who will not acheive to the heights of others taken around him. If his performances dont improve significantly this season I would see what offers he attracts at trade time. We have plenty of players in the team that can play his position.