Nick Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nick Coffield

saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 1:19pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:36pm
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:04pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:54am
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:49am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:34am
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 10:25am It's settled then. Nick is our new whipping boy.
I dont think he is a 'whipping boy', he is just another young kid who needs some guidance and to work a lot harder on his fitness and the rest will come. He has the tools to become a solid HBF, but I doubt he will ever be able to hold down any other position. He is a victim of the club again believing they could convert HBF into a genuine midfielder, and when you look who came after him it was pretty ordinary drafting.

He may be like Billings & Acres where there are numerous other players taken after him , who are already projecting as a better draft choices than him eg Naughton, Bailey, Higgins, Starcevich, Coleman-Jones, Oscar Allen, Balta, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Daniels, Sam Taylor, De Koning, Fitsch,
McCartin, Worpel & Sam Hayes will be a good ruckman.

Every club needs to absolutely nail their earlier draft picks and in Coffields case the jury is still out.
Yep, whipping boy status confirmed,
If it makes you feel empowered then 'whipping boy' it is! :D 😀
Nothing to do with empowerment just stating that there is an obvious need by some to have a whipping boy and unfortunately poor Nick seems to be the player you guys have settled on. Quite pathetic really.
Poor Nick is probably on 300-400k per year. How is wanting more or better from a kid make him a whipping boy? Your constant personal insults to other posters you disagree with are pathetic, as you dont have the intellect to make a case without them.
And you don't call what you posted an insult. I would bet my IQ is double yours.As previously stated, pathetic. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You are the one that indulges in person insults it would seem. There were none in what I posted.

Appears I hit a nerve. As the saying goes, truth hurts.
Wow I have never experienced anyone with as little self awareness as yourself. If thats a sign of a high IQ then you win the award.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

aaron82 wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 5:13pm Nick Coffield only 2 seasons ago finished in our top 5 in the b&f. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ste ... 5640w.html

We played finals for the first time in 10 years. Nick Coffield was 21 when he produced this result.

Due to injuries and a poor pre season, he wasn't able to display the same output last season.

The comparison of Coffield to Acres is insulting to the young man, some of the listed players in his draft year from a previous poster have not even come close to a top 10 b&f result as yet.
We need to be patient with Nick and Hunter Clark as well.

If people need reminding how good these 2 players will be, have a look at the final against the bulldogs again. Some serious talent who both struggled last year due to injury
Excellent post! Is it too early to call it the best post of the year, certainly to date.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 6:24pm
aaron82 wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 5:13pm Nick Coffield only 2 seasons ago finished in our top 5 in the b&f. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ste ... 5640w.html

We played finals for the first time in 10 years. Nick Coffield was 21 when he produced this result.

Due to injuries and a poor pre season, he wasn't able to display the same output last season.

The comparison of Coffield to Acres is insulting to the young man, some of the listed players in his draft year from a previous poster have not even come close to a top 10 b&f result as yet.

If people need reminding how good these 2 players will be, have a look at the final against the bulldogs again. Some serious talent who both struggled last year due to injury
Excellent post! Is it too early to call it the best post of the year, certainly to date.
Touche` lets hope he can refind that form?

Remember the back flank in today's game is the easiest position to play and we have a plethora of players who can play in that position. The list of players was a projected benefit to their respective teams eg De Koning becoming an excellent forward/ruck, Naughton the best contested mark in the comp, Bailey a brilliant goal kicking mid etc but granted only a few have finished in the top 5.

Hindsight is a cop out but if I got to chose pick 8 again in that draft it definitely wouldn't be used on Coffield.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 5:39pm
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 1:19pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:36pm
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 12:04pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:54am
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:49am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 11:34am
saynta wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 10:25am It's settled then. Nick is our new whipping boy.
I dont think he is a 'whipping boy', he is just another young kid who needs some guidance and to work a lot harder on his fitness and the rest will come. He has the tools to become a solid HBF, but I doubt he will ever be able to hold down any other position. He is a victim of the club again believing they could convert HBF into a genuine midfielder, and when you look who came after him it was pretty ordinary drafting.

He may be like Billings & Acres where there are numerous other players taken after him , who are already projecting as a better draft choices than him eg Naughton, Bailey, Higgins, Starcevich, Coleman-Jones, Oscar Allen, Balta, Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan, Daniels, Sam Taylor, De Koning, Fitsch,
McCartin, Worpel & Sam Hayes will be a good ruckman.

Every club needs to absolutely nail their earlier draft picks and in Coffields case the jury is still out.
Yep, whipping boy status confirmed,
If it makes you feel empowered then 'whipping boy' it is! :D 😀
Nothing to do with empowerment just stating that there is an obvious need by some to have a whipping boy and unfortunately poor Nick seems to be the player you guys have settled on. Quite pathetic really.
Poor Nick is probably on 300-400k per year. How is wanting more or better from a kid make him a whipping boy? Your constant personal insults to other posters you disagree with are pathetic, as you dont have the intellect to make a case without them.
And you don't call what you posted an insult. I would bet my IQ is double yours.As previously stated, pathetic. :roll: :roll: :roll:
You are the one that indulges in person insults it would seem. There were none in what I posted.

Appears I hit a nerve. As the saying goes, truth hurts.
Wow I have never experienced anyone with as little self awareness as yourself. If thats a sign of a high IQ then you win the award.
More insults eh?

But wrong again, it's just that I have no time for so, called supporters who put s*** on saints players.

No more pm's for you either by the way.

Want to read hun articles? Subscribe.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Should all that power be in the hands of just one man?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 13 Jan 2022 10:36pm

Remember the back flank in today's game is the easiest position to play and we have a plethora of players who can play in that position. The list of players was a projected benefit to their respective teams eg De Koning becoming an excellent forward/ruck, Naughton the best contested mark in the comp, Bailey a brilliant goal kicking mid etc but granted only a few have finished in the top 5.

Hindsight is a cop out but if I got to chose pick 8 again in that draft it definitely wouldn't be used on Coffield.
Stay away from that limb Impatient, oh you are 😉 Yes, hindsight is a cop out. Just looking at that draft in its entirety, including the six before Hunter, it's really not looking that strong or is it filled with players taking a while to make a mark.

To be honest, only Brayshaw and Naughton have really grabbed their opportunities. To me, the remainder seem "ho hum", injury prone or still developing with teasing glimpses of talent. I'm quite happy with Clark & Coffield when I look at the rest at this stage of all their careers.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What injury did Coffield have last year?

He was dropped at one stage.

Acres, like Coffield was massively overrated by supporters who were wanting him to be good…

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Have to say that I also don’t really like the comparison btw Coffield and Acres.
Coffield’s 2020 was by far better than anything Acres has served up and it’s not close. I think this comparison is pretty pre-mature.

Yes he was down in 2021 but IMO the issue was more with how they tried to get him to play. He went taller and stronger (at least tried too) playing in a way that was more Highmore like (which Highmore was obviously better at).

It kind of reminds me of how they tried to make Goddard a KPP at one point getting him to bulk up+++

To be honest… now that I think about it, BJ is pbly the prototype of the player that you want him to play like though he’s pbly lacking that bit of extra class (which is no shame in the context of who the comparison is with).

Super fit
Run+++
Damage the opposition with that disposal
Use the height/leap as an extra feature/advantage of your game, not a reliant feature

Obvious difference is that he’s pbly more more outside and not as tough as BJ but could be faster

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 9:27am

Stay away from that limb Impatient, oh you are 😉 Yes, hindsight is a cop out. Just looking at that draft in its entirety, including the six before Hunter, it's really not looking that strong or is it filled with players taking a while to make a mark.

To be honest, only Brayshaw and Naughton have really grabbed their opportunities. To me, the remainder seem "ho hum", injury prone or still developing with teasing glimpses of talent. I'm quite happy with Clark & Coffield when I look at the rest at this stage of all their careers.
You wouldnt take Tim Kelly, Sam Taylor, Caleb Daniels AA, Oscar Allen or Zac Bailey?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 2:38pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 9:27am

You wouldnt take Tim Kelly, Sam Taylor, Caleb Daniels AA, Oscar Allen or Zac Bailey?
Like I said, I'm happy with both. All those are likely best 22 players for their teams but I think Coffield is in our best 22.

Out of curiosity, if you could do the deal, Sinclair or Daniel? Personally I'm more than happy with Sinclair's 2021 & we could not play both.

I don't mind playing the hindsight game but it's pointless and serves no purpose unless you were screaming for any of those players prior to the draft. To my recollection, the only obvious players we missed that people were screaming for were Petracca & Cyril.

So let's play...

Judd
Cyril Rioli
Dangerfield
Jack Riewoldt
Zach Merrett
Nat Fyfe
Petracca
Gawn

Should have, could have, might have, why didn't we???

Well that game was fun but guess what? We still only have one Premiership.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s only a sticking point

If you’ve overlooked an obvious for a ‘reach’ and that obvious becomes a gun which showed was why he was an ‘obvious’

Especially when the ‘reach’ ends up a poor player which demonstrates why he was speculative

freely
SS Hall of Fame

B.M wrote: Wed 19 Jan 2022 9:47am It’s only a sticking point

If you’ve overlooked an obvious for a ‘reach’ and that obvious becomes a gun which showed was why he was an ‘obvious’

Especially when the ‘reach’ ends up a poor player which demonstrates why he was speculative
Is there a translation of this post available for English speakers?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Thu 20 Jan 2022 5:59am
B.M wrote: Wed 19 Jan 2022 9:47am It’s only a sticking point

Is there a translation of this post available for English speakers?
Not yet, it's been put through the enigma machine, we have to wait for the results. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
gringo
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 14 Jan 2022 10:56am What injury did Coffield have last year?

He was dropped at one stage.

Acres, like Coffield was massively overrated by supporters who were wanting him to be good…
Acres was hyped on hope. I think that Nick had a really good 2020, he started the year lucky to hold his spot but by the time the season ended he looked unlucky not to be in the AA 30. It's a bit rough to compare them. I think that Highmore has really come in and played the same role better than him and it looks as though his confidence has suffered. He probably can't play that role now and really needs to look to reinvent himself as a more mobile player.

2020 Coff was 4th in marks per game, 5th in total marks and only 8 less than Tom Stewart for the year off the same amount of games.

Saintmike65
Club Player

The main issue I saw with Acres was he had the tools but lacked aggression and self belief.
I used to think Coffield lacked self belief but after a breakout 2021, thought he was on his way!
He looked hesitant pre season last year and that carried through to the season proper.
He has looked very determined this pre season, and very fit.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

People make the comparison between Coffield and Highmore but I’m not sure that I get it.

Highmore to me seems more inclined to play as a tall marking type that can run a bit. Kind of like a poor man’s Fisher.
Coffield is more like a play making quick that just happens to be decent in the air and a decent grab.

The challenge for Coffield last year IMO is that he looked heavier as though he was trying to make stronger, more contested marking/spoiling and it impacted his ability to run and make plays which is his strength.

It reminds me of Goddard in 06 I think when he baulked up +++ as tried to play as a KPP. Was horrendous as he was more suited to a running play maker type that was tougher then you’d typically expect.

The play with Coffield that stands out to me is in the QF vs the Bulldogs when he grabbed the ball off a HBF, saw the opponent in front of him and decided to just burn past him, which he did.
IMO that’s the quality that he lacked last season because he was too heavy

Banger9798
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Sun 23 Jan 2022 3:14pm

The play with Coffield that stands out to me is in the QF vs the Bulldogs when he grabbed the ball off a HBF, saw the opponent in front of him and decided to just burn past him, which he did.
IMO that’s the quality that he lacked last season because he was too heavy

That's the play I reckon we all remember, and based on that, expected him to break out in 2021.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi