Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

i'd have GT back
then Lyon could be his assistant

an old plan
but a goody

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Com e back and coach women's side.... oh wait
Ok development role then.....maybe not

saynta
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 6:36pm Com e back and coach women's side.... oh wait
Ok development role then.....maybe not
After Freo incident, I don't think so.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:04am Can’t say I agree with you there

Any argument that our management of the situation with Ball from half time in the 09 GF to full time a year later was anything but a shambles by us…
Doesn’t track IMO

I don’t know how anyone including yourself can’t acknowledge it as an example of poor coaching
I did t refer at all to Luke Ball and how we managed his exit from the club - do you even read the post your responding to??
Please highlight where I said that???
I said Ball was not the difference in us winning the GF despite the BS peddled here by simpletons
If you can’t stay on topic best not post...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 12:19pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 8:49am
So if a coach wants a player on the list
The player fails to deliver
It’s all the coaches fault
The player has no responsibility to do his part - often the basics like kick a goal from inside the goal square ? (see Schneider 09)
Sorry that’s just absolute rubbish.
Sometimes you completely ignore the big picture even though you often post in threads and discussions with the big picture in mind

The selection of one bloke over another is made years and months before the actual event occurs (see Grand Final 09)

Lyon was the one who wanted to bring in Schneider from another club. Lyon also chose to retain Milne for St Kilda after he failed in his early finals and there was discussions to trade or delist Milney when Lyon was first appointed.

Yes they were both good players (Milney deserves to be considered as one of the best small forwards of his era - so he’ll always be a ‘great’ player and a champion of our club) but perhaps their failures in that Grand Final were justification for people who saw flaws in their game (or maybe their personality) and their ability to deliver in crunch moments.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t continually blame the players for missing a goal or two and then absolutely absolve Ross Lyon of all responsibility for their selection. Anyhow, the team failed to score a goal in the last quarter in 09 - that’s a coaching issue
That’s possibly the dumbest post I’ve read on SS
So....Ross Lyon is responsible for wanting Schneider and Milne at Saints (good...)
He’s also responsible because those players didn’t deliver GF day.... ????
And you’re lecturing on big picture posting..
Righto...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 12:58pm
samoht wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 12:28pm Lyon started off with a clean slate .. he had some early success with strong lists and a good game plan that had not yet been picked apart.
Verdict 8/10 early on.

But, if we judge things objectively and with the fullness of time - which is the only way to properly judge things:

He didn't evolve his game plan as other coaches started to pick it apart, and he didn't adequately develop or give chances to young players, either totally ignored and frustrated them, like Tom Lynch, or he gave up on them before even trying, played favourites and recruiting recycled list-cloggers from other clubs for the short term or tough "role players," instead of giving better up and coming youngsters like Armitage, Tom Lynch and Jack Steven a go.

Verdict: 8/10 early on, when his flaws were not evident and he benefited from a strong group of A graders.

Overall: He really is a 4/10 coach whose ego got in the way of him being a better-than-average coach.
So 2 of the biggest clubs in the AFL recently sought out a 4/10 coach, in fact from all reports he was 2nd choice behind Clarko? What were they thinking?. Doesn't say much about the standard of the other coaches either, based on your rating.
Good call takeaway
More revisionist thinking from the Trumpites ..,
Lyons been sounded out by multiple AFL clubs (VERY silent on GT here I might add....what gun coach he must’ve been given the high demand... :mrgreen: ) but what would they know compared to Samoht the SS poster??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 1:10pm
samoht wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 12:28pm Lyon started off with a clean slate .. he had some early success with strong lists and a good game plan that had not yet been picked apart.
Verdict 8/10 early on.

But, if we judge things objectively and with the fullness of time - which is the only way to properly judge things:

He didn't evolve his game plan as other coaches started to pick it apart, and he didn't adequately develop or give chances to young players, either totally ignored and frustrated them, like Tom Lynch, or he gave up on them before even trying, played favourites and recruiting recycled list-cloggers from other clubs for the short term or tough "role players," instead of giving better up and coming youngsters like Armitage, Tom Lynch and Jack Steven a go.

Verdict: 8/10 early on, when his flaws were not evident and he benefited from a strong group of A graders.

Overall: He really is a 4/10 coach whose ego got in the way of him being a better-than-average coach.
So 2 of the biggest clubs in the AFL recently sought out a 4/10 coach, in fact from all reports he was 2nd choice behind Clarko? What were they thinking?. Doesn't say much about the standard of the other coaches either, based on your rating.
From all reports Collingwood had no interest in Lyin nor he they, and, i wouldn't be using a basket case like Carlton as a yardstick for someone's worth, that club is a mess.

The brownbaggers will end up with another coach on training wheels. :lol:

Maybe Ross should get a part time job as a development coach, they way he might just get a grasp on the concept.
More fake news
Wright on record saying they knew (cause he got Ross’s number) that Lyon had little interest
But let’s make it up anyway..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 1:17pm Lyon is a below-average coach who ended up plumbing the depths (what was his W/l percentage and where was it tracking at the end of his stints at St Kilda and Freo?).
There are no second prizes.

Even Carlton will more than likely end up going with an untried coach with a fresh set of ideas, if they have to, ahead of Lyon.

You're only as good as your last gig.
Yep Riewoldt Goddard Montagna Hayes Dal Santo ....I mean what do they know ???
I mean Samoht again right the AFL expert knows far more ... :D

“Yeah….nah””
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wow this thread is still going. The Essendope thread was more interesting

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 1:28pm
takeaway wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 1:27pm
Wayne42 wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 1:10pm
Verdict 8/10 early on.

From all reports Collingwood had no interest in Lyin nor he they, and, i wouldn't be using a basket case like Carlton as a yardstick for someone's worth, that club is a mess.

The brownbaggers will end up with another coach on training wheels. :lol:

Maybe Ross should get a part time job as a development coach, they way he might just get a grasp on the concept.
Plenty of reports stating Collingwood contacted RL re coaching position, but he declined. Google it. I think I would prefer to go on the preferences of major AFL clubs and their resources in the industry rather than some biased footy supporters.
Good for you. No contact was made from either party or so says Google.

Collingwood GM of Football Graham Wright admits he didn’t pursue a chat with Ross Lyon as he made it “pretty clear” that he wasn’t interested in the vacant position.

Lyon told Channel Nine’s Footy Classified last week that he wasn’t interested in the Magpies senior coaching job, and while Wright reached out for his number, he didn’t proceed with a conversation.
“I had reached out for his number, but we didn’t actually hook up.

“I didn’t actually speak to him one-on-one, but I think Ross had made it pretty clear … and that’s fair enough as well.”
So he still reached out for Lyons number so he could find out what he thought of Luke Ball?
Strong logic there..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 1:55pm The average punter would have given the talented up-and-coming kids such as Lynch, Armo and Steven a go ahead of Eddy and McQualter, if they had their way.
Should’ve got you in Samoht
You coulda taught Rooey and co a thing or two..they don’t know what they’re talking bout eating Lyon as a great coach :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 2:40pm I’m a proven career coach.

I’ve taken 2 teams all the way at 2 different clubs and I have an enviable win loss ratio

You can trust me….

But please don’t ask my former employers for character references or else I’m not interested
You can of course ring any 10 of ex Saints champions who rate him as one of the best coaches they’ve had...
But much more fun to continue to make it up as you go I guess!!

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 4:48pm Out of interest…

How many here would have RL back?

Say Ratten washes out next year, who would vote for RL to reassume the mantle?
Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard
Nick Riewoldt and all the other twits haven’t a clue when it comes to footy.. :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:01pm Wow this thread is still going. The Essendope thread was more interesting
16 years still going strong
Infact ....welcome to the SS time warp...GTs just been sacked what do u think ??

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:09pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:01pm Wow this thread is still going. The Essendope thread was more interesting
16 years still going strong
Infact ....welcome to the SS time warp...GTs just been sacked what do u think ??
Maybe this time they'll appoint a coach who can win a flag.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:04pm Should’ve got you in Samoht
You coulda taught Rooey and co a thing or two..they don’t know what they’re talking bout eating Lyon as a great coach :shock:
Why did you stop at Rooey ?... I'm sure McQualter, Gamble, Eddy, Peake, Lovett and a couple of other recycled and "role players" whose names escape me also thought he was a genius coach.
Ball, Armo, Steven and Tom Lynch might beg to differ, however.

The guy couldn't develop a polaroid.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

How did he go in his last few years at Freo?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:51pm

Any argument that our management of the situation with Ball from half time in the 09 GF to full time a year later was anything but a shambles by us…
Doesn’t track IMO

I don’t know how anyone including yourself can’t acknowledge it as an example of poor coaching
I did t refer at all to Luke Ball and how we managed his exit from the club - do you even read the post your responding to??
I said Ball was not the difference in us winning the GF despite the BS peddled here by simpletons
With all due respect, my post both referred to the second half coaching of the grand final and subsequent events involving Ball. You’re the one that’s gone off topic here

Also don’t know why you’re getting out of shape here

I don’t get you Teflon...
So summarising your broad contention in this thread, the argument is that the Saints first 1/2 dominance is at least in large part due to the coaching structure and processes that allowed the players to dominate but it’s their fault they didn’t execute.

Ok... but the second half after Geelong made coaching moves that curtailed influence and swung ascendency... and saw Geelong win... that’s not related to poor coaching on our end... and leaving close to our best player in the first half on the pine isn’t related!?

So leaving our best or second best clearance on the bench when we were smashed in the middle you don’t think contributed to the result!!?

Answer me this...
Rate RL’s coaching performance on the day of the 09 GF? Did he beat his opposite number?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:08pm

Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard
Nick Riewoldt and all the other twits haven’t a clue when it comes to footy.. :wink:
It is fun to avoid difficult questions.

I just have to imagine given how highly you perceive him to be rated... a 3 time GF coach and all, you’d pbly be advocating for us to get in touch with him already yes?
Maybe put him as an assistant to Ratten for an eventual take over.

Seems logical

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:51pm

Doesn’t track IMO

So someone who doesn't agree with you is a simpleton. Pretty arrogant . :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:40pm
Why did you stop at Rooey ?... I'm sure McQualter, Gamble, Eddy, Peake, Lovett and a couple of other recycled and "role players" whose names escape me also thought he was a genius coach.

:D :lol: Love that line and oh so true. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I just finished watching footy classified. Cant help the word "arsehole" escaping my lips every time that turd Lyin comes on screen. Why the hell any reputable TV show would employ him is beyond me.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:40pm

Lovett???? Geezus scraping the bottom of the barrel (or gutter..) there..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 11:18pm How did he go in his last few years at Freo?
Not sure I don’t follow Freo
I do know he coached 12 years
Has a better win % than “GT”
And had a 45% win finals record ....”GT” ....6 years coaching at 33%........in finals...
I think the rest is superfluous (look it up)

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 11:33pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:08pm

Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard
It is fun to avoid difficult questions.

I just have to imagine given how highly you perceive him to be rated... a 3 time GF coach and all, you’d pbly be advocating for us to get in touch with him already yes?
Maybe put him as an assistant to Ratten for an eventual take over.

Seems logical
I’d stay on topic would be the first thing I’d do...you clearly struggle....no logic in that
I’d have Lyon back as footy director....no to coaching but think he’d be great to add some much needed mongrel to Brett and maybe keep some assistants honest ...
Let me guess ....you’d bring back “GT” and we’d all go to the movies?????? :D

“Yeah….nah””