Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

Mongrel??

What does that even mean??

And why is required??

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 10:53pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 11:33pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 10:08pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 4:48pm Out of interest…

How many here would have RL back?

Say Ratten washes out next year, who would vote for RL to reassume the mantle?
Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard
Nick Riewoldt and all the other twits haven’t a clue when it comes to footy.. :wink:
It is fun to avoid difficult questions.

I just have to imagine given how highly you perceive him to be rated... a 3 time GF coach and all, you’d pbly be advocating for us to get in touch with him already yes?
Maybe put him as an assistant to Ratten for an eventual take over.

Seems logical
I’d stay on topic would be the first thing I’d do...you clearly struggle....no logic in that
I’d have Lyon back as footy director....no to coaching but think he’d be great to add some much needed mongrel to Brett and maybe keep some assistants honest ...
Let me guess ....you’d bring back “GT” and we’d all go to the movies?????? :D
Not at all

I wouldn’t go back to things that have repeatedly failed

On BM’s question… when he didn’t have a list brimming with all star talent, his results were very very poor. Other coaches including GT built up… RL was unable to do it
Last edited by skeptic on Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 11:31pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:51pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:04am Can’t say I agree with you there

Any argument that our management of the situation with Ball from half time in the 09 GF to full time a year later was anything but a shambles by us…
Doesn’t track IMO

I don’t know how anyone including yourself can’t acknowledge it as an example of poor coaching
I did t refer at all to Luke Ball and how we managed his exit from the club - do you even read the post your responding to??
Please highlight where I said that???
I said Ball was not the difference in us winning the GF despite the BS peddled here by simpletons
If you can’t stay on topic best not post...
With all due respect, my post both referred to the second half coaching of the grand final and subsequent events involving Ball. You’re the one that’s gone off topic here

Also don’t know why you’re getting out of shape here

I don’t get you Teflon...
So summarising your broad contention in this thread, the argument is that the Saints first 1/2 dominance is at least in large part due to the coaching structure and processes that allowed the players to dominate but it’s their fault they didn’t execute.

Ok... but the second half after Geelong made coaching moves that curtailed influence and swung ascendency... and saw Geelong win... that’s not related to poor coaching on our end... and leaving close to our best player in the first half on the pine isn’t related!?

So leaving our best or second best clearance on the bench when we were smashed in the middle you don’t think contributed to the result!!?

Answer me this...
Rate RL’s coaching performance on the day of the 09 GF? Did he beat his opposite number?
Again, simple flawed logic that overrates “magical moves” from coaching boxes and ignores the obvious connection (and contribution) from players on the day
For you it’s all “Ball was on the pine so we lost” or “Bartel beat Hayes” do we lost
You completely ignore the ability of players in that first half to execute and put pressure on a Geelong side
You speculate that Luke Ball would’ve won us the game had Ross put him in the ground
I contend that the game would’ve been drastically different had we taken those chances in that first half and out done genuine scoreboard pressure on them
I’d wager that on game day it’s not “magic coaching” moves that has the major impact on games outcomes .....it’s up to the players who cross the line to win the contest, beat an opponent, execute basic skills ....you conveniently ignore that and it’s blatantly simplistic.
Geelongs coach didn’t “swing the momentum” ...Geelong PLAYERS did and our PLAYERS failed to respond.
Do I think Lyon could’ve tried Ball in the middle ? Sure, but do I think that stops a Gary Ablett toe poke moment? Do I think that stops a Chapman getting off the chain late??? No
In your logic the 2010 Milne bounce of the ball must be Lyons fault????
It’s not black and white but I guess it is if it suits your Lyon hate agenda which doesn’t stack up.

Question for you: Do you think Ross Lyon was a good AFL coach ?

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:09pm

Any argument that our management of the situation with Ball from half time in the 09 GF to full time a year later was anything but a shambles by us…
Doesn’t track IMO

I don’t know how anyone including yourself can’t acknowledge it as an example of poor coaching
I did t refer at all to Luke Ball and how we managed his exit from the club - do you even read the post your responding to??
I said Ball was not the difference in us winning the GF despite the BS peddled here by simpletons
With all due respect, my post both referred to the second half coaching of the grand final and subsequent events involving Ball. You’re the one that’s gone off topic here

So summarising your broad contention in this thread, the argument is that the Saints first 1/2 dominance is at least in large part due to the coaching structure and processes that allowed the players to dominate but it’s their fault they didn’t execute.

Ok... but the second half after Geelong made coaching moves that curtailed influence and swung ascendency... and saw Geelong win... that’s not related to poor coaching on our end... and leaving close to our best player in the first half on the pine isn’t related!?

So leaving our best or second best clearance on the bench when we were smashed in the middle you don’t think contributed to the result!!?

Answer me this...
Rate RL’s coaching performance on the day of the 09 GF? Did he beat his opposite number?
Again, simple flawed logic that overrates “magical moves” from coaching boxes and ignores the obvious connection (and contribution) from players on the day
For you it’s all “Ball was on the pine so we lost” or “Bartel beat Hayes” do we lost
You completely ignore the ability of players in that first half to execute and put pressure on a Geelong side
You speculate that Luke Ball would’ve won us the game had Ross put him in the ground
I contend that the game would’ve been drastically different had we taken those chances in that first half and out done genuine scoreboard pressure on them
I’d wager that on game day it’s not “magic coaching” moves that has the major impact on games outcomes .....it’s up to the players who cross the line to win the contest, beat an opponent, execute basic skills ....you conveniently ignore that and it’s blatantly simplistic.
Geelongs coach didn’t “swing the momentum” ...Geelong PLAYERS did and our PLAYERS failed to respond.
Do I think Lyon could’ve tried Ball in the middle ? Sure, but do I think that stops a Gary Ablett toe poke moment? Do I think that stops a Chapman getting off the chain late??? No
It’s not black and white but I guess it is if it suits your Lyon hate agenda which doesn’t stack up.

Who can’t stay on topic now?
When you don’t answer questions why should I bother…

Though in fairness, I’m much more courteous then you

I think RL was an ok AFL coach
Excellent leader
Psychologically strengthened his teams
Good structure and plan
Extremely rigid and inflexible
Hard to work with and wasn’t open minded
Poor developer
Underachieved

Not a super coach at all. I wouldn’t have him back.

Given that you think he’s a super coach… one of the best… odd logic that you wouldn’t want him as coach

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:08pm

Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard
Nick Riewoldt and all the other twits haven’t a clue when it comes to footy.. :wink:

I just have to imagine given how highly you perceive him to be rated... a 3 time GF coach and all, you’d pbly be advocating for us to get in touch with him already yes?

Seems logical
I’d stay on topic would be the first thing I’d do...you clearly struggle....no logic in that
I’d have Lyon back as footy director....no to coaching but think he’d be great to add some much needed mongrel to Brett and maybe keep some assistants honest ...
Not at all

On BM’s question… when he didn’t have a list brimming with all star talent, his results were very very poor. Other coaches including GT built up… RL was unable to do it
On GT I concur he’s been tipped out if multiple clubs and had a finals win rate at just 33%
Lyon after 12 years of coaching is still sought after - I personally think he’s finished but as footy director? I’d look at that ....his planning and defensive support to a Ratten game plan that has leaked massively this year would be enormous. Actually Ratten was accused of having a 1 way game plan while at the Blues....a Lyon in his corner would be a great move.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:24pm

Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard

Seems logical
Not at all

On GT I concur he’s been tipped out if multiple clubs and had a finals win rate at just 33%
Lyon after 12 years of coaching is still sought after - I personally think he’s finished but as footy director? I’d look at that ....his planning and defensive support to a Ratten game plan that has leaked massively this year would be enormous. Actually Ratten was accused of having a 1 way game plan while at the Blues....a Lyon in his corner would be a great move.
On GT, your the one that keeps bringing him up. Minus that last post, I don’t really see the relevance of GT when discussing RL.

Will be interesting to see where RL lands then

Can’t ignore an asset like that it seems

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:15pm

Doesn’t track IMO

Answer me this...

Excellent leader
Good structure and plan
Poor developer
Underachieved

Given that you think he’s a super coach… one of the best… odd logic that you wouldn’t want him as coach
See you miss the point Skeptic completely
I think Lyon as head coach in the AFL is gone I don’t think his defensive game style alone cuts it in today’s football - times moved on.
Do I think he was a good coach in his prime? Yes I do and my only reason /point in this thread is to not re write history (like some muppets on here constantly do cause they mix their emotions with Lyons coaching ability).
Could his IP be valuable in another role? aka Mark Williams type? Yep I do IF he can understand he’s not the coach.

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not sought after at all that is just Lyin and media bulls***.

Never had a snowflakes hope in hell of landing either the filth or brown
baggers job and the f*** knew it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:28pm
Teflon wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:24pm

Not me
Shyte coach
Sub AFL standard

Seems logical
Not at all

On GT, your the one that keeps bringing him up. Minus that last post, I don’t really see the relevance of GT when discussing RL.

Will be interesting to see where RL lands then

Can’t ignore an asset like that it seems
The threads titled Grant Thomas?
The usual sycophants on here keep pining for the good ole GT days ...I find it bizarre
Game day he was ordinary IMO but for stability after the Blight joke he was useful.....then decided he’d go all Putin, put himself in the chair and had no intent of leaving
That’s the difference with him and Lyon - to me Lyon was an egotistical freak himself ...he had 1 objective ....success and he’d move to any club to get it (left us for Freo proved that). Lyons a mercenary ....we know this
GT just craved control - complete control and that’s dangerous...especially when you don’t know your times up.
He was never going to walk he had to be shoved.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:29pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:15pm

Doesn’t track IMO

Answer me this...

Excellent leader
Good structure and plan
Poor developer
Underachieved

See you miss the point Skeptic completely
I think Lyon as head coach in the AFL is gone I don’t think his defensive game style alone cuts it in today’s football - times moved on.
Do I think he was a good coach in his prime? Yes I do and my only reason /point in this thread is to not re write history (like some muppets on here constantly do cause they mix their emotions with Lyons coaching ability).
Could his IP be valuable in another role? aka Mark Williams type? Yep I do IF he can understand he’s not the coach.
It’s been a nice chat Teflon though for whatever reason you do have something of an edge about you on this topic.

Like I said before… he was decent enough but I’ve just never bought into the Mighty Ducks narrative that ppl have spun about his performance with us and Freo

Given his track record, especially with us, that’s a big if and IMO I think it would be an unfair position to put any coach in… seemingly having a replacement there ready on the wings.
Reality based or not that would be the perception

As you know I was not an AR fan but geeez having Ratten there as an ‘assistant’ when we all knew why he was really there must have sucked…
Though he had obviously already been sacked

Anyway, have a good night

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good chat Skeptic

“Yeah….nah””
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Are the terms muppets & sycophants used as terms of endearment in this thread? Are they football euphemisms? Don't we all have fondness for Miss Piggy and a wide eyed Robin following Batman. Or is this bare knuckle slanging; surely not here.

Worried of Moorabbin

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 11:36pm

….

GT just craved control - complete control and that’s dangerous...especially when you don’t know your times up.
With that underlined quote you’ve finally made a statement (even though it’s a question) that I concede is a good point :wink:

I don’t agree at all with that last bit because it wasn’t the answer and it set us back by sacking a coach. We needed changes to the coaching mix for sure, and perhaps a director of coaching or a Football Operations manager (similar to Lethlean) or a guy like Balme who was added to the Geelong Football Club in 2007.

We all know that at the time the President had his own personal issues so leadership had to come from others so I don’t agree that he craved ‘complete control’.

What’s your opinion of Chris Fagan and his match day coaching? He usually sits on the interchange doesn’t he? Is he someone that you’d get rid of because he doesn’t cut it or would you add to the coaching mix to support him because the players love him and he has his strengths?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone remember that Matt Rendell was Grant Thomas' right hand man during that era, Rendell was the match day tactician.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 16 Sep 2021 10:56pm Mongrel??

What does that even mean??

And why is required??
I think it’s also called having an edge - you’re an ex AFL star you’d surely have heard of it???
I actually heard J Brown describe Leigh Matthews like this just the other night ..,
But again, you’d know that.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 6:59pm

….

With that underlined quote you’ve finally made a statement (even though it’s a question) that I concede is a good point :wink:

I don’t agree at all with that last bit because it wasn’t the answer and it set us back by sacking a coach. We needed changes to the coaching mix for sure, and perhaps a director of coaching or a Football Operations manager (similar to Lethlean) or a guy like Balme who was added to the Geelong Football Club in 2007.

We all know that at the time the President had his own personal issues so leadership had to come from others so I don’t agree that he craved ‘complete control’.

What’s your opinion of Chris Fagan and his match day coaching? He usually sits on the interchange doesn’t he? Is he someone that you’d get rid of because he doesn’t cut it or would you add to the coaching mix to support him because the players love him and he has his strengths?
Lol Chris Fagan doesn’t go around answering players mobile phones when contacted by the media - GT did
Do t blame Butters that’s a cop out.
Butters was a patsy (with dependency issues) that Thomas took advantage of (and money from without paying it back)
Thomas was a control freak
He was a poor match day coach appointed as a CARETAKER coach who saw he had a good list and then convinced himself “I’m the best there is...no one is going to replace me”
He had a 33% finals record - appalling
He had to be sacked because with narcissistic control freaks that’s often the way.
Lyons a mercenary for sure who is after success but not quite the same animal and was able to get us to back to back GFs
Anyway, enough club champions who played under him support the notion he was a great coach
Funny you don’t hear them talk about Grant much..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 7:39pm Does anyone remember that Matt Rendell was Grant Thomas' right hand man during that era, Rendell was the match day tactician.
Yep and hardly considered a footballing genius by many...

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 11:20pm
Wayne42 wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 7:39pm Does anyone remember that Matt Rendell was Grant Thomas' right hand man during that era, Rendell was the match day tactician.
Yep and hardly considered a footballing genius by many...
He has more runs on the board than a lot of biased simpletons that's for sure.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 17 Sep 2021 11:18pm

….

Lol Chris Fagan doesn’t go around answering players mobile phones when contacted by the media - GT did
Butters was a patsy (with dependency issues) that Thomas took advantage of (and money from without paying it back)
He was a poor match day coach appointed as a CARETAKER coach who saw he had a good list and then convinced himself “I’m the best there is...no one is going to replace me”
He had to be sacked because with narcissistic control freaks that’s often the way.
Lyons a mercenary for sure who is after success but not quite the same animal and was able to get us to back to back GFs
Anyway, enough club champions who played under him support the notion he was a great coach
BS! You made that up.

Just because you refuse to listen to any interviews where Roo or Lenny or Goddard or Dal Santo speak about the impact that GT had on the group doesn’t mean they don’t talk highly of Grant. But we all know the truth is that you’ve got selective memory

Clarkson was a control freak in his first 5 years. And so was Lyon…anyhow I didn’t buy the Lyonspeak snake oil sermons and neither did all the players that played under Ross. Have a look at his last years at Fremantle too where the club started losing their champions and their best players.

We were on an upward path and he failed to get the chocolates. It really doesn’t matter who said what about Lyon or whether they think he’s the greatest coach that ever lived. History will judge him against all those before and after his coaching tenure was terminated.

The notion that he is a great coach is an insult to all the people who assembled a list of AA champions and built our culture of ‘team’.

Lyon played his role but he forgot the passion and the heart and the bonds that helped create a winning team. The foundations were so solid that even an apprentice like Lyon could not stuff it up. He’s divisive. He cost us premierships by not seeing that he had weapons with his youth.

He had nfi how to coach a full squad and help empower every single player towards the same goal. No point saving some of the artillery and ending up with unused bullets. He stuffed up the best chance we had to win a Grand Final

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Lyon played his role but he forgot the passion and the heart and the bonds that helped create a winning team. The foundations were so solid that even an apprentice like Lyon could not stuff it up. He’s divisive. He cost us premierships by not seeing that he had weapons with his youth.
i'd be getting on that train

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

….

Better coaching record in finals than that animal Chris Scott.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 Sep 2021 10:35am

….

BS! You made that up.

Just because you refuse to listen to any interviews where Roo or Lenny or Goddard or Dal Santo speak about the impact that GT had on the group doesn’t mean they don’t talk highly of Grant. But we all know the truth is that you’ve got selective memory

Clarkson was a control freak in his first 5 years. And so was Lyon…anyhow I didn’t buy the Lyonspeak snake oil sermons and neither did all the players that played under Ross. Have a look at his last years at Fremantle too where the club started losing their champions and their best players.

We were on an upward path and he failed to get the chocolates. It really doesn’t matter who said what about Lyon or whether they think he’s the greatest coach that ever lived. History will judge him against all those before and after his coaching tenure was terminated.

The notion that he is a great coach is an insult to all the people who assembled a list of AA champions and built our culture of ‘team’.

He had nfi how to coach a full squad and help empower every single player towards the same goal. No point saving some of the artillery and ending up with unused bullets. He stuffed up the best chance we had to win a Grand Final
I just had to highlight that biggest load of claptrap bollocks dribble right there
Honestly you’re drinking the GT bath water and loving the taste….
It’s seriously funny stuff …..”nasty Ross just forgot to win the hearts and minds….” …. :D 1 problem with that theory …….the MAJORITY of players who took us to back to back GFs under him, including club champions, think you’re talking out the other end…
Apologies I couldn’t read the rest…..I genuinely couldn’t stop chuckling at that emotional rubbish… :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

This thread has.more than run it's course. Descended into pure rubbish not worth reading now.🤔🤨

asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol

i think its fantastico !!

the days of our ross 'n grants

this could go on for years yet !!!

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Like sand in your underpants…so are the Days of Our Lives :lol: :lol: