Ben King staying at the Suns in 2022

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: Ben King staying at the Suns in 2022

ROLS-LEE wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 8:11pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 6:06pm Yes yes....I'm sure Ben is drooling over the idea of going backwards.

He can't wait to come to St Kilda into his brothers shadow like the 19 years previous. Always second best, relegated to fullback.

He is chomping to get back under Max and lose himself in being the "twin".

Wake up!

He will never and I repeat, NEVER come to St Kilda.
He could also come to the saints, help win that elusive second flag and bask in all the glory and fan fare
Preach it mate!!! I hope so.

But being an identical twin myself and having my younger bro tell me how hard it was for him in my
" shadow"....which I never realised or even thought was true....I don't reckon it will happen.

We both went to a family therapist in 1989 ( our parents passed in a auto accident, we were 15 and it fudged us 6 kids up) and it shocked me how he felt and the freedom he found by joining the army and being "out" from under both the "twin" and my stranglehold.
I was and am book smarter but I never thought that mattered. He was behind me athletically but he had all the ladies and I spent many a lonely night at the servo magazine rack....

I don't know if these twins feel the same unspoken struggle to find their unique self...I know that pain behind the laugh after hearing 78,000 times...."now which one are you?"

Hopefully they're healthier emotionally and we see a family reunion!!!!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 8:11pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 6:06pm Yes yes....I'm sure Ben is drooling over the idea of going backwards.

He can't wait to come to St Kilda into his brothers shadow like the 19 years previous. Always second best, relegated to fullback.

Wake up!

He could also come to the saints, help win that elusive second flag and bask in all the glory and fan fare
Preach it mate!!! I hope so.

But being an identical twin myself and having my younger bro tell me how hard it was for him in my
" shadow"....which I never realised or even thought was true....I don't reckon it will happen.

We both went to a family therapist in 1989 ( our parents passed in a auto accident, we were 15 and it fudged us 6 kids up) and it shocked me how he felt and the freedom he found by joining the army and being "out" from under both the "twin" and my stranglehold.
I was and am book smarter but I never thought that mattered. He was behind me athletically but he had all the ladies and I spent many a lonely night at the servo magazine rack....

I don't know if these twins feel the same unspoken struggle to find their unique self...I know that pain behind the laugh after hearing 78,000 times...."now which one are you?"

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 11:25pm For the team he and his whole family supported his entire life
Let's hope!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:31pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 10:16am

Wake up!

I hope he thinks a little bit more of himself than that & has a resolve in him that wants to do something unique. To me that would be, in partnership with his brother, to create the most formidable forward duo in the AFL.

Not to mention a legacy for a Club their family follow, or the money / brand that would also materialise.
Mate I'm 156% with you!! I pray to the footy gods he comes home!

But I'm not getting that vibe....he's going to be a damn legend...it'll be hard to lure him.
You are spot on, it's going to be bloody hard. This has made me think about who our hardest to get player has been, who has been our coup?

Hill & Hannebery were lay downs because of the amount of money we were offering plus picks & players. I doubt anyone could call those shrewd, savvy deals.

Ben may actually be those most crucial trade target in our history. If we can land him without selling Linton Street, including the playground, our List Manager may become just as immortal.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We get the two Kings

It’ll be like when San Antonio had Robinson and Duncan

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 3:07pm We get the two Kings

It’ll be like when San Antonio had Robinson and Duncan
There’s a big difference between a sport with 5 players on court and 18 on the field

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Loewe and Lockett
Brereton and Dunstall
Carey and Longmire
Brown and Lynch
Roughead and Franklin
Lucas and Lloyd
Reiwoldt and Gehrig

Could go on further

Two big dogs up front are hard to stop.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 8:22pm Loewe and Lockett
Brereton and Dunstall
Carey and Longmire
Brown and Lynch
Roughead and Franklin
Lucas and Lloyd
Reiwoldt and Gehrig

Could go on further

Two big dogs up front are hard to stop.
How many premierships did Loewe-Lockett and Riewoldt-Gehrig win?

They might win you games, but not premierships.

A gun midfield is the most important aspect of an AFL team, we need to invest in that.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Brereton and Dunstall x 5
Carey and Longmire x 2
Brown and Lynch x 3
Roughead and Franklin x 2
Lucas and Lloyd 1

Need someone to kick the goals!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Any of those teams have average midfields?

Geelong won 3 premierships with a mixture of Mooney, N Ablett, Podsiadly and young (ordinary) Hawkins up forward.

The Dogs won with Zaine Cordy and Tom Boyd (who was more ruck)

Richmond won their first with just Riewoldt.

Sydney won with Sam Reid.

Collingwood won with Cloke and Dawes…

You can win premierships with average key forwards and gun mids, but you can’t do it the other way around.

And before you say it, yes we need more than Steele and a bunch of Bs / Cs

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 06 Sep 2021 11:16am Ben King 47 goals but didn't finish top 10 in Suns BnF?

Come to the Saints Ben, we'll show you some respect
This was an amazing outcome and went practically unreported.

Especially if Max gets high in the Saints BnF with fewer goals.

Are the Suns trying to tell us something?

That Bing is already gone?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 9:43pm Any of those teams have average midfields?

Geelong won 3 premierships with a mixture of Mooney, N Ablett, Podsiadly and young (ordinary) Hawkins up forward.

The Dogs won with Zaine Cordy and Tom Boyd (who was more ruck)

Richmond won their first with just Riewoldt.

Sydney won with Sam Reid.

Collingwood won with Cloke and Dawes…

You can win premierships with average key forwards and gun mids, but you can’t do it the other way around.

And before you say it, yes we need more than Steele and a bunch of Bs / Cs
Ports midfield has only 2 stars Boak and Wines rest is ok
Our misfiled could do with 1 or 2 more class outside runners to assist but that’s doable even if we draft Bing and certainly our current midfield ain’t the worst in the league
Point is getting Bing and improving our midfield ain’t mutually exclusive- we can do both and that doesn’t take into account players on the list now we’d like to run through there that could in time include Clarke, Bytel, Byrnes - even Coffield played mid as a junior and eventually I think Connolly could roll through if we keep his development up.
A talented roaming lead up CHF /Forward plus another contested marking FF beast at the same time for St Kilda is unique.
You don’t let that pass IF it’s possible.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Mooney was the AA CHF in 2007

Hawkins almost single handed Won Geelong the 2011 GF

Next?!

And
Of course they have good midfielders, most teams do
But not every team has good Key Forwards

We had a midfield that consisted of
L.Hayes - 3 x AA
N.Dal Santo - 3 x AA
L.Montagna - 2 x AA
B.Goddard - 2 x AA
L.Ball - AA
R.Harvey - 8 x AA

And we won zero premierships.

All THREE zones are equally important

No good pumping it in 50 times if you can’t score!!!

No good winning in the midfield, if ever time the ball goes in the backline the opposition score!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

My take in it. If you have two teams with equally good midfields, the one with the edge will be the one that consistently converts opportunities into goals under pressure. That’s why good forwards - and particularly key forwards - are important. The finishing part of the game is so often the difference.

But it’s no good having gun key forwards that you cannot supply. Obviously.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Exactly my point. A star studded midfield / smalls could even make Mooney look AA.

And Hawkins kicked 27 goals in 18 games in 2011 (and kicked 3 goals in a 40 point GF win)…

Hayes, Dal Santo, Goddard, Montagna and Ball (x1) were 2 bounces of a ball away from being dual premiership players.

Yes, all 3 zones are equally important, so investing 15% of your salary cap in 2 tall forwards isn’t the smartest plan. Especially when your next highest paid player after that will probably be a ruck/forward. Doesn’t leave much to go around in the midfield and defence.

A gun midfield will make an average forward/backline look better, while an average midfield will make a gun forward/backline look worse. The ball always starts and is won in the midfield.

Having 2x King’s would sell a whole lot of tickets and merch, and would probably have many exciting performances a season, but would leave too many holes over the field to win premierships, considering the cap space and draft capital it would cost.

If you could lock them both in at $750k a season for 10 years and get Ben for Battle and a 2nd rounder, great! I would love it! But that ain’t gonna happen.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda’s problem has always been having superstar players, some of the greatest of all time, but poor depth.

We’ve got to learn from this.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 11:59pm St Kilda’s problem has always been having superstar players, some of the greatest of all time, but poor depth.

Don’t disagree but no ones suggesting sell the farm or over pay Bing - he’ll get more from Essendon but if he comes to us he gets what his brother gets and that’s unders IMO
I’m not convinced he’ll come but if he nominated us you just do it
You won’t get a star forward on the rise who just kicked 50 goals in a poor side for fringe in Battle and a second rounder ...go look at what Cats gave up for Cameron
Bing would be 2 firsts and possibly a player with a late something back
However that price changes if he’s OOC and we get him end next year ...my worry there is Dew will be sacked....Clarkson appointed and it might be hard to get him then

“Yeah….nah””
minneapolis
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:43pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:31pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 10:16am

Wake up!

I hope he thinks a little bit more of himself than that & has a resolve in him that wants to do something unique. To me that would be, in partnership with his brother, to create the most formidable forward duo in the AFL.

Not to mention a legacy for a Club their family follow, or the money / brand that would also materialise.
Mate I'm 156% with you!! I pray to the footy gods he comes home!

But I'm not getting that vibe....he's going to be a damn legend...it'll be hard to lure him.
You are spot on, it's going to be bloody hard. This has made me think about who our hardest to get player has been, who has been our coup?

Hill & Hannebery were lay downs because of the amount of money we were offering plus picks & players. I doubt anyone could call those shrewd, savvy deals.

Ben may actually be those most crucial trade target in our history. If we can land him without selling Linton Street, including the playground, our List Manager may become just as immortal.
I reckon Howard has been a real coup. Port made him Captain and did NOT want him to go. Gearing up for a flag etc. Yet Gags got it done and we have our FB for the next X years.

Also I thought Crouch was a very savvy trade.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:38pm

Such an interesting story, Saint-Lee - thanks for posting it. What a tough age to lose your parents. The important question though - does your brother barrack for the saints???!!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Wed 08 Sep 2021 2:34am.
I reckon Howard has been a real coup. Port made him Captain and did NOT want him to go. Gearing up for a flag etc. Yet Gags got it done and we have our FB for the next X years.
Also I thought Crouch was a very savvy trade.
I don't see them as coups, I do see them as smart trades and good recruiting. By coup I mean prising a club's best player or a gun on the rise from a club. Beating other clubs to that player's signature without offering a ridiculous amount, crippling our club's future.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

freely wrote: Wed 08 Sep 2021 4:06am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:38pm

Such an interesting story, Saint-Lee - thanks for posting it. What a tough age to lose your parents. The important question though - does your brother barrack for the saints???!!!
Definitely Sainters are in our blood

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is Ben King a good player?

Do we want good players?!

I’m not sure how any back line covers two 202cm freak athletes - who play quite differently.

Throw in the smooth moving 194cm Sharman

Max King will end up the best power forward in the AFL

Ben is a leading forward

Working together they will kick 6+ per game on average.

With Higgins, Butler (Gresham/Byrnes) at their feet. They would be hard to stop!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 08 Sep 2021 12:26am
The_Dud wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 11:59pm St Kilda’s problem has always been having superstar players, some of the greatest of all time, but poor depth.

Don’t disagree but no ones suggesting sell the farm or over pay Bing - he’ll get more from Essendon but if he comes to us he gets what his brother gets and that’s unders IMO
I’m not convinced he’ll come but if he nominated us you just do it
You won’t get a star forward on the rise who just kicked 50 goals in a poor side for fringe in Battle and a second rounder ...go look at what Cats gave up for Cameron
Bing would be 2 firsts and possibly a player with a late something back
However that price changes if he’s OOC and we get him end next year ...my worry there is Dew will be sacked....Clarkson appointed and it might be hard to get him then
I think some are suggesting selling the farm for him. 2 FRDP + is doing that IMO. We need to use as many FRDP on mids as we can, need to find Steele a couple of A grade mates.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What did we pay for Hill

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Didn’t we pay pick 10 future 2nd and acres and swapped a couple of later picks

This is after we split our first round pick and turned pick 18 into Howard and Ryder

Anyways
We should give pick 9 and our first pick next year for their second round this year and next year plus a player if they want one

Someone like
Coffield
Battle
Long

Or not block seb as well