Our draft hand

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our draft hand

skeptic wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 9:35pm
B.M wrote: Fri 30 Jul 2021 9:27pm No

The recruiting department and list manager shape the list

The coaches coach

Otherwise WTF would you have a list manager and recruiting dept?

Seriously

Why would Allen Richardson draft ANYONE?!
How many U18 games would he atten every year????

He has a voice, but at the end of the day, the decisions to draft were Tony Elshaugs

The decisions around contracts
Alert Bains
You’re not listening… he’d have a say as to what type of trades we’d trade he. He picked which players we persevered with…
Why recruit a ruck or trade one in when he argues that Longer is the man… don’t need to prioritise skilled crumbing forwards because he chose Weller and Newnes as players above reproach etc

Richo may not recruit players… but he shaped the list

Delusional to suggest otherwise… one cannot even imagine that you believe otherwise
It’s pure fantasy to believe in 6 years Richo didn’t shape the list abs left it all to Trout
Delusional ofcourse he shaped it !!

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I think we should tank the hell out of the last 3 games. Ratts more or less said he would be starting the pre season early so a big chance we won't win another game which will see us end with DP6.

It's a big positive in a very disappointing year....mind you now that this year's cup will be devalued to COVID Cup # 2 it has been a good year to tread water and achieve almost bugger all.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 2:26pm I think we should tank the hell out of the last 3 games. Ratts more or less said he would be starting the pre season early so a big chance we won't win another game which will see us end with DP6.

It's a big positive in a very disappointing year....mind you now that this year's cup will be devalued to COVID Cup # 2 it has been a good year to tread water and achieve almost bugger all.
So yes let us get games into those that we want to improve. Mind you our injury list almost makes it compulsory anyway!

Sharman was impressive in his brief cameo. So give him some whole games to further expose him at the top level.

I would like to see Bytel back.

Give Joyce three games so we can decide to keep him or not. Ditto with Clavarino.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Tanking

The sign of a good club

Worked for Carlton and Melbourne

Teflon
What is the role of the List Manager?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

COVID cup?

Lol :lol:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

No need to tank. Probably won't win them anyway. Won't beat Geelong at Geelong. Sydney at full strength and Freo in Perth

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 3:08pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 2:26pm I think we should tank the hell out of the last 3 games. Ratts more or less said he would be starting the pre season early so a big chance we won't win another game which will see us end with DP6.

So yes let us get games into those that we want to improve. Mind you our injury list almost makes it compulsory anyway!

Sharman was impressive in his brief cameo. So give him some whole games to further expose him at the top level.

Give Joyce three games so we can decide to keep him or not. Ditto with Clavarino.
Without our injury list these players probably wouldn't have got a game this season, or as many as they have and it's been a positive unintended consequence hasn’t it:

Byrnes
Connolly
Highmore
Bytel

Also Dunny probably wouldn't have got a game after the Richmond thrashing and been given the opportunity to prolong his career at another club (I think he is gone).

I think Joyce and Clav will be cut but strange COVID forces may save one of their careers.

Has anyone heard if we still have a bit to go to reduce our list size. I seem to remember many clubs were given more than one season to reduce list sizes, is the AFL still targeting 35 ?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

AFL was never targeting 35, you just made that up.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Answered my own question, it was 35 however I think there was a bit of push back from clubs due to the challenge in reducing lists so quickly, or something like that IIRC, and so I think the AFL were then looking to reach their desired number over more than one season, someone might know of an update on where it's at now though?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/390818/how- ... list-sizes

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep agreed
Play kids don’t waste anymore time on finals rubbish talk
It’s about next year now

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 6:55pm

Yep agreed
Play kids don’t waste anymore time on finals rubbish talk
It’s about next year now
Our year was finished after the Bombers, Richmond and Bulldogs thrashing or am I being a little harsh.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

With the amount of other delistings I doubt we delist both of Clavarino or Joyce unless another key defender is traded in.

Delistings: Hunter, McKernan, Frawley, Kent, Lonie, Roberton, Carlisle & B list rookie Alabakis
Trade options: Dunstan, Billings, Ross, Battle or Membrey for Ben King?

groupie1
Club Player

Trading Skunk would be terrible for culture... it'd be like trading out Dal Santo or Goddard

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 8:58pm With the amount of other delistings I doubt we delist both of Clavarino or Joyce unless another key defender is traded in.

Delistings: Hunter, McKernan, Frawley, Kent, Lonie, Roberton, Carlisle & B list rookie Alabakis
I'm doubtful Jake will be cut if he is capable of getting his body right, a fit Carlisle is extremely valuable to us, or most clubs for that matter, especially if he has 2 or 3 years left in him.

Members would be almost as untradable as Steele.

Ben King is not leaving tbe GC within the next 3 to 5 years.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 9:49pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 8:58pm With the amount of other delistings I doubt we delist both of Clavarino or Joyce unless another key defender is traded in.

I'm doubtful Jake will be cut if he is capable of getting his body right, a fit Carlisle is extremely valuable to us, or most clubs for that matter, especially if he has 2 or 3 years left in him.

Welcome back Vortex, have been wondering where you’ve been as of late… your presence has been missed here :)

Am a big Carlisle fan but I’m increasingly in favour of moving on players that are frequently hampered by injury. I know you’ve been passionate on the topic of COVID impacting list management and it would be great to keep him if possible… but he looks shot

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Not hard to find if you actually want to know instead of just trying to push the same agenda you’ve been on for a year and a half…

https://www.afl.com.au/news/524822/new- ... s-revealed

47 down to 44, no where near 35 :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 9:56pm

Welcome back Vortex, have been wondering where you’ve been as of late… your presence has been missed here :)

Am a big Carlisle fan but I’m increasingly in favour of moving on players that are frequently hampered by injury. I know you’ve been passionate on the topic of COVID impacting list management and it would be great to keep him if possible… but he looks shot
Yeah thanks Skeptic, good to be back, yes obviously I have a passing interest in the off field side of the game and I'm going to be watching with interest how our recruiters perform this year in a very challenging landscape.

My caveat on Carlsile is "if his body is up to it", then he could possibly be worth another year if we can't bring in any other suitable replacement. Outside of that I agree with you whole heartedly re moving on players.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Wow, seems we’ve come a long way from “Sex Drugs and Jake” and some very low-brow accusations about his character.

But anyway, Jake’s body appears shot and it appears he’s not an automatic selection even when fit, time to move on and find a young bloke to replace him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

:twisted:

Let’s see on King if Membrey helped get it done it’s a no brainer for mine he’s on the decline and his goal kicking and slow ability to move the ball on with any speed outside 50 doesn’t help the team
He kicked a couple when the game was over the other night they don’t count
GCS want experienced players ...he could help
Anyway all based on IF Bing wants to come and nominates us
Carlisle’s body is knackered park him I say move on

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 7:55pm Get rid of good players for draft picks…

That’s worked for us in the past!!!

If they have currency, doesn’t that suggest they are valuable players?
It's important to cut the flowers and water the weeds.
That's how you win spoons.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Aug 2021 10:29pm :twisted:

Let’s see on King if Membrey helped get it done it’s a no brainer for mine he’s on the decline and his goal kicking and slow ability to move the ball on with any speed outside 50 doesn’t help the team
Apparently King is very happy att the GC and a lot of his happiness has to do with the club treating him and his family like royalty. Can you think of another player who is gettable?

I think the term "beggers can't be choosers" will come into play at this year's trade period and Carlisle may just get another year. Having said that can you think of a player who is gettable that would be a suitable replacement and that would allow us to cut Carlsile?

It looks like we will have draft pick number 6 but we have 3 positions we want players for, a tall back, a tall forward and a mid. Would you trade the pick for a player that slots into one of these positions or do you go for youth at the draft?

groupie1
Club Player

I think you use at least your first pick in the draft for best available talent; and try trading players for those players of need. Worth remembering though that we do have those players of need on our list, if they can stand up to the rigours: Carlisle/Frawley, Marshall (as a permanent forward) and M Wood is worth persisting with though he lacks some height, Hanners/Bytel/Gresh... the only mid I think worth pursuing is Shai Bolton. Can't think of tall forwards or backs that are established and gettable, off the top of my head... perhaps Mitch Wallis or one of the Melbourne trio may leak - but are they any better than McKernan (who's a dud). The other way to think about this is to change the way our forward line functions and hit up leads more: Higgins, Skunk, Wood, etc.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
The Recruit
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 02 Aug 2021 8:31am

Apparently King is very happy att the GC and a lot of his happiness has to do with the club treating him and his family like royalty. Can you think of another player who is gettable?

I think the term "beggers can't be choosers" will come into play at this year's trade period and Carlisle may just get another year. Having said that can you think of a player who is gettable that would be a suitable replacement and that would allow us to cut Carlsile?

It looks like we will have draft pick number 6 but we have 3 positions we want players for, a tall back, a tall forward and a mid. Would you trade the pick for a player that slots into one of these positions or do you go for youth at the draft?
A few lads on bigfooty have double downed in their mail that Ben King will nominate Saints for a trade in 3.5 weeks

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Mon 02 Aug 2021 10:22pm

A few lads on bigfooty have double downed in their mail that Ben King will nominate Saints for a trade in 3.5 weeks
Link?

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Mon 02 Aug 2021 10:22pm

You gotta love how the internet works,.but let's play the game anyway. Say Ben does such a thing, how do the GC and our club get a deal done and how much does it cost?

Could we afford it?

Would the AFL allow us to do it?

I think the AFL have placed restrictions on contract payouts at assisted clubs. I just think the AFL would be our biggest opponent due to our debt and financial weaknesses.

BTW those questions are only meant to be conversation starters as I am of the understanding Ben is staying put.
Last edited by Vortex on Tue 03 Aug 2021 8:32am, edited 1 time in total.