2021 NGA Players Level 1 & 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

2021 NGA Players Level 1 & 2

https://www.saints.com.au/community/nga ... nt-program

There is a good chance we will select 3 x NGA Level 2 players at this years draft.

1. Marcus Windhager
2. Angus McLennan
3. Jack Peris
??? Mitchito Owens or Josiah Kyle

Next years Level 1 includes Kyi Burgoyne - Shaun Burgoyne's son.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Fri 18 Feb 2022 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2021 NGA Players Level 1 & 2

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 02 Jul 2021 2:19pm

What would stop the Hawks taking him as a father son if he is any good?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 03 Jul 2021 7:20pm

If he is bid on in the first 20 picks, NGA status is useless.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

nothing, so i am told. it would be who bids on him first.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 10:39am

That doesn't apply to father/son picks

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 9:36pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Jul 2021 10:39am

That doesn't apply to father/son picks
He would have to agree to a nomination as a F/S. He could, but he is already in the academy. Its a roll of the dice I guess.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Nothing and it would be unlikely he would chose us after his dad playing nearly his entire life at the Hawks . I gather the NGA stuff with the Saints is just for his development, but stranger things have happened.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 07 Jul 2021 1:44pm

Nothing and it would be unlikely he would chose us after his dad playing nearly his entire life at the Hawks . I gather the NGA stuff with the Saints is just for his development, but stranger things have happened.

Yes that is what I would have thought. It just seems odd to me that we are developing a player for an opposition club.

We can only hope that he is the type who wants to create his own path.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Vic Metro 105 to Vic Country 49

Mitch Owens got a late call up as an emergency and had his best game for the year with 29 touches. He has quick creative hands and puts himself in the right places, playing on a wing and across half forward. Kicked 1 goal 1.

Marcus Windhager looks the more AFL type cast player and played across half forward for Metro. Did a few nice things and kicked a nice goal. Is a definite to get drafted one would think.

Daicos got over 40 possessions and was a class above both sides.
Goater a taller midfielder for Metro also got 29 disposals and works hard both ways.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 8:16am

His father played over 100 games with each of Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.
That means he could nominate for either club as a father-son, like Bailey Rice did.
Last edited by ace on Fri 27 Aug 2021 8:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sat 10 Jul 2021 9:11pm
saintly wrote: Mon 05 Jul 2021 8:16am

His father played over 10 games with each of Hawthorn and Port Adelaide.
That means he could nominate for either club as a father-son, like Bailey Rice did.
you mean 100 games.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

More on Mitch Owens.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... aceda135b8

"A St Kilda-linked player who was cut by the Sandringham Dragons after a poor under-16s campaign and was initially left out of this year’s first Vic Metro team is suddenly attracting AFL attention after an eye-catching performance last week.

Mitch Owens, who is part of St Kilda’s Next Generation Academy, was a late call-up for last Friday’s ‘Challenge’ match between Vic Metro and Vic Country at Windy Hill and produced an “outstanding” game that didn’t go unnoticed.

The 190cm wingman and half-forward logged 29 disposals, took seven marks and kicked a goal as his development continues to spike."

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please clarify for me the difference between level 1 and level 2 NGA?

Saints58
Club Player

Thanks for the info what sort of players are they mids,KPP or Rucks anyone know

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

https://www.sandringhamdragons.com.au/p ... sformation

Owens could end up anything. Looks as though he may be a Battle type.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.sandringhamdragons.com.au/p ... ny-quicker

JACK PERIS: THERE AREN'T MANY QUICKER

By Marcus Uhe
There’s quick, there’s fast, and then there’s Jack Peris.
The Dragons wingman has made a habit of leaving his opponents in the dust, and with speed like his, it’s easy to understand why.
The son of Australian sporting royalty, Nova Peris OAM, the first Indigenous Australian woman to win an Olympic Gold medal in Hockey in 1996, and the late Daniel Batman, both of whom competed in Athletics in the Olympic games, has continued his family legacy by torching tartan rubber athletics tracks across the country.
His current personal bests for the 100 metre, 200 metre and 400 metre are 10.97 seconds, 21.53 seconds and 47.99 seconds, respectively.
He ran in his first national athletics carnival in under 10s, where he finished last. Four years later, with the guidance of his mother, he returned at under 15 level to take the national crown in the 400 metre final.
It was at that point where it became clear that rather than just being quick, he had elite running talent.
“Mum and I, we really put in the hard yards leading up to that national championships, and Mum always knows what shape I’m in and what I’m capable of doing, so that really set the tone for what I’m able to achieve and there no limits to what you’re really capable of doing,” Peris said.
“That was, kind of, the moment that I knew that I could really achieve something in athletics and work hard at it.”
Like many of us, the 17-year-old had his aspirations railroaded in 2020 by the outbreak of COVID-19.
The 2020 under 20 World Athletics Championships, originally scheduled to be run in July in Kenya, were very-much on Peris’ radar, until they were postponed in March, meaning his training program tailored to that event had to be scrapped.
So too were the Tokyo Olympics, where he was aiming for a spot on the Australian team and follow in the footsteps of his parents.
Ultimately, with 2021 being his draft year, Peris and his family made the difficult decision to put athletics on the back-burner and throw everything at the prospect of being drafted. The extra time afforded him the opportunity to join the Dragons program and represent Sandringham when not playing for his school, Melbourne Grammar.
“I was in really good form at the start of last year and I was hoping to really see how I went with that season and see what times I could produce and try to make a 4x400 spot this year (at the Olympics). And then obviously everything got cancelled last year so I had to make the hard decision of deciding what to focus on this year.
“My parents and I just decided to give footy a good crack because I can always come back to athletics, so that’s something we chose to do.”
Aside from the luxury of being able to burn-off opponents, Peris uses his gifts to put serious heat on defenders, with his pressure and tackling ability a feature of his game.
It’s something that developed during his time in Darwin representing the Nightcliffe Tigers Football Club, and dabbling in Rugby League as a junior.
But according to the man himself, the biggest impact that track-and-field has had on his football capabilities comes above the shoulders.
“Through athletics I’ve obviously had setbacks and stuff like that and I think it taught me to work hard at a completely different level.
“It’s such a brutal industry with athletics, you have to be able to train really hard; I was training five days a week with mum, and it’s such a brutal sport, especially running the 400 metres, so it taught me to always persevere and work hard, and especially focus on training and train really hard and the reward will come.
“My mum always taught me to train as if I’m always second place, and so I train my arse off every second, pretty much, and didn’t cut corners, I stayed focused, never went out to party and stuff like that.
“I’ve always been just a laid back kind of bloke that trains really hard during the week and the results show, so that kind of reflects in the same sense in footy where you train hard and obviously the results will show on gameday.”
As a member of St Kilda’s Next Generation Academy, Peris is able to maintain his connection with long-time friend and mentor, Ben Long.
The dashing half-back who has played 54 games for St Kilda shares many parallels with Peris: A descendant of indigenous icons, who attended boarding school at Melbourne Grammar.
“I’ve known ‘Longy’ my whole life. We grew up in Darwin, our families grew up with each other as well, so he’s been a massive mentor of mine.
“I pretty much just see him around the club and he shoots me a text every now and then just seeing how I’m going, congratulates me on making the Allies squad, stuff like that.
“So he’s someone I look up to and we always have a chat about Darwin and family, stuff like that so he’s good to have a laugh around and he’s a great bloke.”
Culture and family is something that Peris hold especially close to his heart. While he lives in Melbourne in the boarding house at Melbourne Grammar, Peris relishes the opportunity to travel back home to Darwin, where he grew up, and connect with his local community, through fishing, hunting and spending time on the land.
As a proud member of the Iwatja Tribe from Western Arnhem Land, and Yawuru and Gidja tribes from East and West Kimberley, Peris wants to be part of the solution when it comes to eradicating racism in Australia, and leads the school’s Reconciliation Committee.
“I really take pride in who I am and my identity, where I’m from, especially.
“I try to acknowledge and recognize stuff like racism and the casual racism that people receive everyday in Australia and I think it’s a real issue in society nowadays and I try to address it as much as I can, especially at school, and I’ve learned a lot from my Mum especially for that.
“She was the first indigenous Senator in politics, so I’ve learned a lot from her, and I’m head of the reconciliation committee at school as well, so I try to get that out as much as possible and I try to show kids that you should always be proud of your identity and who you are and set a pathway for young indigenous kids.
“We’re the oldest living culture on earth, so the fact that it isn’t taught in schools, it just amazes me really, especially because it’s in our country as well. Everyone should be educated about it because it’s so important, especially moving on and trying to eliminate racism as well.”
While the Saints will have first access to Peris at the draft through the academy bidding system, clubs won’t want to be slow out of the blocks when the opportunity comes to call his name.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Fri 23 Jul 2021 11:34am, edited 2 times in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.sandringhamdragons.com.au/p ... king-goals

MARCUS WINDHAGER: PICK-AND-ROLLS AND KICKING GOALS

By Marcus Uhe
When AFL clubs are searching for a point-of-difference in this year’s draft pool, they must consider the credentials of Sandringham’s Marcus Windhager.
At 15, Windhager represented Australia in the 2018 FIBA Under-15 Oceania Basketball Championships, averaging 9.2 points, 3.7 rebounds and 3.2 assists across the tournament, as Australia went-on to claim gold in a nail-biting finale against New Zealand.
While it’s not the bright lights of the NBA, there wouldn’t be too many 15-year-olds that could claim that they have competed in international tournaments, and for Windhager, it served as an eye-opener into what it takes to mix it with the best.
“I think that being at that level, it puts into perspective how much work’s required to get to that level,” Windhager said. “I think that’s what I pride myself on, hard work and embracing that you have to put in a lot of hard yards to get to where you want to be.”
Despite playing basketball at such an elite standard, football has always been his first priority. A shift in schools from St Bede’s College to Haileybury College in 2020 brought with it the demands of Associated Private School (APS) football, ultimately putting basketball on the back-burner.
“I guess I just came to enjoy footy more.
“I think moving to Haileybury, everyone’s focus is just footy all the time and I enjoyed that, and enjoyed the hard work that’s required in footy.”
On-top of moving schools, Windhager’s rupture of an Anterior Crucial Ligament (ACL) when playing school football for St Bede’s was another critical factor in his decision to step-away from basketball.
While there is hardly a good time to suffer such a devastating injury, Windhager was able to see the positive of recovering during Melbourne’s brutal COVID-enforced lockdown in 2020.
“…being locked-down, I had a lot of time to get my knee strong and make sure that that sort of injury doesn’t happen again. I did a lot of training, worked with a few people to strengthen and make sure I was confident in my knee, and make it strong to come back and play footy again at a high level.”
“When I was coming back, it was (at the back of my mind), like I guess it was something I was scared of.
“Now it’s something that doesn’t even cross my mind when I’m playing, because I have confidence in the rehab I did that my knee is strong now and there’s nothing really to be worried about.
“It was a pretty big hurdle to get over and I guess, confidence in myself, just to get over such a daunting injury, and to continue to work, (be) diligent with rehab and don’t cut any corners.”
Playing a midfield/forward role, Windhager knows where the goal are, finishing second in the SMJFL 2019 Under 16s Division One goalkicking table with 23 majors from 10 games playing for Beaumaris, including a bag of 11 against Bentleigh.
Like many who have crossed-over from the hardwood, he possesses that explosive first step, and can navigate through traffic with the best of them.
And while football is much more free-flowing and more difficult to implement set plays compared to basketball, Windhager’s ability to process and interpret what’s happening around him gives him a leg-up when considering the tactical X’s and O’s.
“Yeah it’s definitely helpful when learning new concepts or strategies from a coach, because I think that’s such a main part of basketball, being able to execute those strategies.”
Competing in both the NAB League and in the APS competition for Haileybury in 2021 has presented him the opportunity to work on winning more contested possessions, an area that he identified as a goal for this year.
When thrown into the middle against Tasmania in round 11 of the NAB League, his breakaway speed and the ability to hit targets out of a stoppage stood-out in the 38-point win.
His excellent start to the season has been rewarded with selection in the Vic Metro squad for the 2021 Under 19 National Carnival, alongside seven other Dragons including Dante Visentini, Luke Cleary and Caleb Lewis, where he will have an ideal opportunity to best showcase his talents in front of the footy world against the best of his age group from across the country.
He says his connection with his teammates has helped push him to level he’s at today.
“I’ve have a good group of mates, most of them from Dragons and from school that even over lockdown last year and the one that we just had, nearly every night we’re down at the footy oval in Parkdale, doing contested work and it would be full-on. We’d go full-on at each other and have competitions and pushed each other and we all share the same goal so that helped a lot. “
Meeting elite standards and participating in high performance programs from such a young age has meant that he’s been forced to make some difficult sacrifices over the journey. Come the end of the year, he’s hoping that all the hard work and commitment will be justified.
“The end goal is getting drafted, that’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and it’s definitely a goal of mine, a dream of mine. I think that’s the biggest motivation I guess. It’s why I put in a pile of work, just to get there.”

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.sandringhamdragons.com.au/p ... sformation

SMALL FORWARD POCKET" TO PROTOTYPE WINGMAN: MITCH OWENS' TRANSFORMATION

By Jonty Ralphsmith

For Mitch Owens, 2020 allowed his footy ability to catch up to his rapidly growing frame. 

The 17-year-old, listed at 190cm entering the 2021 season, was about 15 centimetres shorter when he lined-up in the forward pocket for local club Beaumaris at the start of 2019. 

Come season’s end, his size saw him thrown into the ruck – a role he wasn't accustomed to.

That required him to get to every stoppage, use his body, jump, and play as a fourth midfielder. 

Fitness and building strength were therefore the two primary focusses of his lockdown. 

“During COVID I was able to get with some friends (including fellow Sandringham player Jacob Edwards) and do some running sessions and skills sessions in the morning before online school which was good,” Owens said. 

“I was able to get school gym stuff which helped a lot.”

Working with his brother, former Dragon, now Frankston Dolphin, Kai Owens, the pair got to work on adding weight to his frame, in readiness for his penultimate NAB League season.

“My brother Kai has been massive – he was pretty much my personal trainer. 

“It was strange at first but getting tips from him helped teach me how to use my body physically.”

Confidence in his new-found size was on show against Dandenong in round three, with a pair of contested marks, adding to a portfolio of one-on-one wins across the first three weeks. 

“Even in preseason, training with the Dragons, a lot of the players are big bodies so using my body is something I feel more comfortable and I like to do now.” 

Owens has primarily been playing on the wing and in the absence of vice-captain Campbell Chesser, he stepped-up with a near best-afield 21 disposal outing against the Stingrays. 

He won early possessions, delivered the ball handsomely inside 50 and ran both ways, showing his defensive accountability.

"I thought I ran a lot harder defensively so getting a few disposals there was awesome. 

“Jacko always talks about being in the defensive 50 all the time and helping out the defenders.

“Starting on the field for the first time, I felt like I needed to lift that game and I thought I played well. 

“I was able to get into the right spots and got more of the ball than I usually do.” 

A naturally nervous person, Owens was quiet in the first fortnight as he adjusted to the pace and intensity of NAB League footy, but he hopes his hot round three performance can kickstart his campaign. 

He is now playing school footy at Mentone Grammar in the AGSV competition and he ho

Saints58
Club Player

How does the drafting go with the NGA players do we need to match a offer from a rival club or do we get preference

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 9:13pm How does the drafting go with the NGA players do we need to match a offer from a rival club or do we get preference
As long as they are not bid on inside the top 20 (this year), if we chose to we can match the bid. 2 years ago Bigoa Nyuon was a Saints NGA player who Richmond bid on at 54 and we chose not to match. He has yet to play an AFL game and did his ACL this year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Fri 23 Jul 2021 9:13pm How does the drafting go with the NGA players do we need to match a offer from a rival club or do we get preference

You wait till another club tries to select him, and if the pick is not in the top 20 then if we want him at the draft cost then relevant we match their bid (the cost is discounted). If the club believes the draft cost is too high then we do not match.

If we just pick him outright we do not get the discount. Effectively if the pick is after where we would have picked him it becomes a double discount (The pick being later, and then the % discount as well).

Saints58
Club Player

Great info thanks saints rising and IS I remember Bioga tall skinny kid not bad from what I hear.
If we need to bid on a player in side first 20 and we have used our first pick which I think is 8 at this stage next is in the 40s is it just down to cost and not picks?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:54pm Great info thanks saints rising and IS I remember Bioga tall skinny kid not bad from what I hear.
If we need to bid on a player in side first 20 and we have used our first pick which I think is 8 at this stage next is in the 40s is it just down to cost and not picks?

The rules have changed. You can only select players in the first 20, and if tied to another club they can longer match.

Teams like the Dogs getting the No1 pick was distorting the mechanism that the draft is meant to help level up the competition.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

from big footy

Mitch Owens played one the guts today for the dragon and was named in the best’s. he’s in some good form
25 disposals. Max Heath must’ve played school footy

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

https://www.afl.com.au/news/659302/twom ... mid-firing

Ouch - hopefully the National Championships will get played to take some of the focus off the VIC kids.

Given that this year we will get our first NGA player/s I wonder if Finnis has considered applying for an exemption from the AFL re the top 20 rules. Im sure there would be other clubs in the same position eg Melbourne. If they want an equal competition, surely every club should be allowed 1 pick inside the top 20 before the exclusion.