Bridging the Gap

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Bridging the Gap

Saints must bridge the gap:
who said that first? from Saints website archives: Richo First-year coach says good performances count for very little if they are followed by poor ones.
Deja vu? Nightmare recurring?

What does the title of the current review even mean in 2021? I listened to the players podcast to try to get an articulation but just heard vague platitudes.

At one point it was said that the introspective sessions in Sydney made all parties drill down and speak up. (Straight after Seb and Membrey left team, whatever that says about gap bridging, if anything. Then the Cairns match.)

Seems focus may be on players professional standards (by implication coaches as well?) not Footy Dept staff who have calf and hamstrung the playing stocks/options with Danny boy and seemingly tired stuck in stone failed tactics.

So look forward to the report findings with curiosity - perhaps Friday night will be the executive summary.

Does anyone here know the terms of reference of the bridging the gap review are and who is leading it? Any expectations?
(Mine is no need to read it until the 2022 window opens and then only for a history lesson)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bridging the Gap

There's a lot of bulldust blowing down Linton Street, here comes some more.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Tanking is the way to go for the rest of the season now the cue is in the rack.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

"Bridging the Gap" is about as useful as "Staying apart keeps us together" or any other slogan you can trot out...

I'm thinking of starting my own campaign - "Tunneling to freedom"......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Load of rubbish

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yep as useful as the 'Together we Rise' slogan. FFS if 'Bridging the Gap' is all Ratten & Rath can come up with over the break, I fear for the club going forward. I thought Ratten was the man to take us forward, but the more I hear from him the less convinced I become. I also dont believe Rath is the master mind he is portrayed as, he did a whole lot of spruiking the obvious in that Q&A session.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 23 Jun 2021 6:51pm Yep as useful as the 'Together we Rise' slogan. FFS if 'Bridging the Gap' is all Ratten & Rath can come up with over the break, I fear for the club going forward. I thought Ratten was the man to take us forward, but the more I hear from him the less convinced I become. I also dont believe Rath is the master mind he is portrayed as, he did a whole lot of spruiking the obvious in that Q&A session.
I would hope that Rath was just following protocol in spewing rubbish, but behind the scenes he is active in getting things done, and earning his pay.

But at the Hawks, did he have much better cattle, better development structure, better coaching setup, etc.

Maybe, he really has the talent to carry out his job, but you look at our list and resources and even Einstein and Stephen Hawking would struggle.

Putting Rath into our system would be like taking the head engineer of the Mercedes Formula One team, and put him into the bottom Alpha Tauri team.
No matter how good he is, he won't elevate them, because they're just too far behind the others in every way.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 23 Jun 2021 9:54pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 23 Jun 2021 6:51pm Yep as useful as the 'Together we Rise' slogan. FFS if 'Bridging the Gap' is all Ratten & Rath can come up with over the break, I fear for the club going forward. I thought Ratten was the man to take us forward, but the more I hear from him the less convinced I become. I also dont believe Rath is the master mind he is portrayed as, he did a whole lot of spruiking the obvious in that Q&A session.
I would hope that Rath was just following protocol in spewing rubbish, but behind the scenes he is active in getting things done, and earning his pay.

But at the Hawks, did he have much better cattle, better development structure, better coaching setup, etc.

Maybe, he really has the talent to carry out his job, but you look at our list and resources and even Einstein and Stephen Hawking would struggle.

Putting Rath into our system would be like taking the head engineer of the Mercedes Formula One team, and put him into the bottom Alpha Tauri team.
No matter how good he is, he won't elevate them, because they're just too far behind the others in every way.
I wonder if there is a correlation between spin and success? A negative one. Speaking of cars. Some famous Italian engineers that made some of the most iconic luxury and sports cars were used to design any number of cheap rust buckets built my lesser makes later on. And British cars and engineering used to be glorious until the late sixties and then went to pot in the 70s. The decline was accompanied by colorful spin from British Leyland at the time about how sophisticated the Austin Allegro was or the Morris Marina.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Listened to the podcast last night.

They were torn between telling the truth and toeing the line. You'd swear we were top four with amazing players doing all the right things. It's frustrating that they can't be more honest. Because that's what we need right now: real honesty, not more "yeah nah, it's all sweet, it's a great bunch of guys, we're all good mates".

But it's clear - reading between the lines - about the following:

- Our pre-season was significantly under-loaded in terms of physical work and structures.
- Too many players allowed to let themselves go over the off-season and spent the bulk of pre-season catching up.
- We've got a very shy group. The u-23 cohort (except for Byrnes) don't like to speak up; the only import who currently provides on-field leadership is Howard (Jones and Hannebery out of the team) and he is somewhat...blunt. Clavarino loves to lead but is coming from so far back.
- The lead players in the 25-30 bracket (Crouch, Hill, Marshall, Ross, Billings, Sinclair, Carlisle) are natural introverts. Sinclair is trying to overcome this. Wilkie developing but it's still only his third season.

It strikes me that nobody on that podcast talked about winning. We never use that word. We use words like "compete" and "effort", but we never talk about actually winning. I know it's a loaded word, but it frames what you're about, and all the things that come under it are implicit (including "competing" and "effort"). We need to talk about what it takes to win, not just compete. The psychology is extremely different.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 23 Jun 2021 3:13pm
There's a place up north of Cairns named after you....It's a beach...well actually its not called Ýorkey's beach

It's called something else :D :!: