A good read.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A good read.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/962440/r ... first-game

I actually sat behind Daryl , his son, daughter and her boy friend out at Waverly in the night grand final in 1998 against the Roos. Nice family they were too. Pity we lost. Crowd starting chanting at three quarter time that Cary was a wanker.
He showed us in the last quarter that he was also a bloody good footballer. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was there that day in 1963 too.

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: A good read.

And of course Bluey Shelton was the grandson of Richard Shelton, the 5 year old boy that a 10 year-old Ned Kelly saved from drowning at Avenel. Essendon should be eternally grateful to Ned Kelly but Daryl Griffiths maybe less so.
The green sash given by the Sheltons to Ned in gratitude was one of Ned's most loved possessions and worn by him under his armour at the Glenrowan siege. Now displayed at Benalla Museum.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Daryl Griffiths was a great player for St Kilda, can't believe he only played 123 games and then went to Claremont in WA.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It was interesting how players left in their prime to go and play state league or country footy for MORE money!!!

Lance Oswald left at 26 after winning two B&Fs and went back to the country

Ian Cooper went to Sandy and kicked a hundred goals and played for 3 or four seasons there.

There are plenty of other examples too, like Griffiths

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Darrell Baldock, 119 games for St Kilda and then he went back to Tassie.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Darrel was 30 when he left to go back home, with a dodgy knee

Having sad that, he played a further 4 years in the NWFU
and captain coached Latrobe to multiple premierships and a state title!

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

He was before my time but my dad really rated him as a player

George27
Club Player

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 23 Jun 2021 8:33pm He was before my time but my dad really rated him as a player
Your dad was spot on. Darryl was a star. Named on the HBF in our team of the century , and well-deserved , but also excellent on the ball.

It was a huge loss when he left after winning the B&F in 1970- he would have been very handy in the 71 GF

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Multiple concussions and a jaw broken in three places by the age of 17. Mmmnn....I suppose it's better than being conscripted to Vietnam.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I was just a little kid but I remember Griffiths' debut game well. My older sister, a Bombers supporter, took me to the game. Were there for the start of the Reserves to watch a cousin play for the Bombers. We got a seat on the fence and had a bird's eye view of Daryl's first kick and Shelton flattening him. It took the trainers an age to get him off the ground, the great photo tells the story.

Interesting to note two of our best players that day, Jim Wallis and Jim Guyana, both suffered career ending knee injuries over the next two seasons continuing the St Kilda curse. Both were guns. Daryl Griffiths became one of our best ever, pure silk. His most embarrassing moment would have been at Victoria Park in 1968 when, straight after half time, he took the ball from the centre bounce, steamed goalwards and kicked a goal. A great celebration from him followed until the reality we were kicking the other wat set in! No matter, we won that game 10.6 to 2.19!

I think he worked his entire life in the rural sector as a stock agent for Elders. Great player and much loved Saint.

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:37am I was just a little kid but I remember Griffiths' debut game well. My older sister, a Bombers supporter, took me to the game. Were there for the start of the Reserves to watch a cousin play for the Bombers. We got a seat on the fence and had a bird's eye view of Daryl's first kick and Shelton flattening him. It took the trainers an age to get him off the ground, the great photo tells the story.

Interesting to note two of our best players that day, Jim Wallis and Jim Guyana, both suffered career ending knee injuries over the next two seasons continuing the St Kilda curse. Both were guns. Daryl Griffiths became one of our best ever, pure silk. His most embarrassing moment would have been at Victoria Park in 1968 when, straight after half time, he took the ball from the centre bounce, steamed goalwards and kicked a goal. A great celebration from him followed until the reality we were kicking the other wat set in! No matter, we won that game 10.6 to 2.19!

I think he worked his entire life in the rural sector as a stock agent for Elders. Great player and much loved Saint.
Guyana? try Guyatt :lol: :wink:

Griffith also starred as a centreman whenever he got the chance to play there.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:43am
Trev from the Bush wrote: Thu 24 Jun 2021 11:37am I was just a little kid but I remember Griffiths' debut game well. My older sister, a Bombers supporter, took me to the game. Were there for the start of the Reserves to watch a cousin play for the Bombers. We got a seat on the fence and had a bird's eye view of Daryl's first kick and Shelton flattening him. It took the trainers an age to get him off the ground, the great photo tells the story.

Guyana? try Guyatt :lol: :wink:

Griffith also starred as a centreman whenever he got the chance to play there.
Try living with this smart-arsed predictive text!

Saint supporter since '62
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought I was old!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!