Internal Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Internal Review

It was reported last night on Fox Footy, though I have not seen it mentioned in today's media, that the club CEO (Matt Finnis) and head of the Football Department (Simon Lethlean) have recommended to the Board that they will conduct an internal review of season 2021 to determine exactly what has gone wrong and work out what can be done to arrest the team's slide heading into the future.

There will be some who will argue that such a review should be independent of club management (and I certainly think so) but I expect that this is a preliminary measure that could perhaps lead to a more comprehensive review if required, such as being conducted by Carlton FC.

It is fair to say that the AFL media has been very forthright in their criticisms of all of the factors that have led to the team's demise in 2021 - recruitment, player development, conditioning and fitness, game plans, leadership, all of which should come under the spotlight.

No-one has come out and suggested that Brett Ratten's tenure as senior coach is under threat, but the same can not be said for his assistants, recruiters and fitness staff.

Likewise, there will be a serious examination of the playing list to determine the current strengths and weaknesses - having just one pick in the 1st two rounds of the NAB Draft in November may well influence the futures of uncontracted players with possible trade value such as Jack Billings, Luke Dunstan and Seb Ross.

My personal beef this year that has really bugged me is the lack of strong on-field leadership. Much as we all admire Jack Steele's phenomenal skills as a player (arguably THE best) the bloke is a pussycat when it comes to being a leader of men - a nice fellow sure, you'd love him as a son-in-law, but he simply doesn't have any mongrel in him, and I have certainly never ever witnessed him shouting at his team-mates during a game.

This opinion was validated last night by Leigh Montagna on AFL360 who, when asked what he would prioritise if he was on the review panel, stated "on-field leadership" and went on to say that the best leaders are those who are really vocal, ruthless in demanding players perform and hold players to account when they stuff up or don't make that extra effort under pressure, all things that help the team to develop a strong culture, and that's just not happening with the current team leaders - in fact it's been missing since Riewoldt retired.

Looking at the current list, I can think of probably only two players that have the potential to be strong leaders - Zak Jones and Tim Membrey, both of whom are hard as nails in the way they play the game.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Internal Review

Great post Sanctorum.

The injuries to key players has really exposed the lack of depth on our list. I believe if we had a full list to pick from the onfield leadership of Geary, Jones & Hannebrey and the other integral players in Marshall, Paton, Carlisle & Gresham we wouldnt be having this discussion.

One of the things regular training and game watchers notice is how quiet the Saints group are compared with other clubs! There are very few talkers amongst the group and when playing that creates a leadership void in itself. Having said that from my playing/coaching days, I believe a well trained group can learn to be very vocal. Where every player has a responsibility to talk and direct/assist their team mates with their voice. Thats a basic skill set that the coaches should be demanding starting with their training sessions and at games.

I think the modern day coaches and players are that wound up with pressure acts and other stats they overlook the footballing basics! The team voice in games lifts the players, creates 18 leaders and often intimidates the opposition, because it shows a unity.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Matt Rendell's thoughts from the other day.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/16/ ... officials/

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

An internal review will not uncover anything ground breaking.
Lethers and Ratts would review each game anyway, so an internal review will just cover old ground anyway.
No hard truths- inconvenient truths- will be uncovered, because arrogance and conceit, as well as self-belief in themselves, will never highlight any mistakes made by themselves.
Would Lethers put up his hand during the review and admit that Hill and Hannas has not panned out, and was a mistake?

An independent review will cast a strong light on everything, as long as it is independent.

Now, onto on-field leaders.
Howard is quite vocal and a big finger-pointer.
Each time he gives his opponent 25m break, and the oppo marks it, Howard is pointing and yelling.
As a player, I would reply to him "Dougs, maybe stop the social distancing, stay on his hammer, mate"
His kick-ins are horrible and just come back with interest.

The club has said that Howard is quite outspoken in team meetings, holding guys to account.
If he were in All-Australian form, he might get more respect.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

No need for a review. That's just a money- and time-wasting formality to make admin feel good about themselves.

The problems should be obvious to anyone with eyes.

Hopefully Bassett has the cahones to make big changes.

As for the "need leadership" mantra -- sure, but the current admin's response would be to draft in another Hannebury.

Forget it!

older saint
SS Life Member

Review involving one person who IMO has a lot to answer for in regard to the position we find ourselves in with salary cap.

What a joke , surely he isnt held that highly or that safe in his position that he can be involved in judging others ultimately he oversees ?

older saint
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 5:13pm Review involving one person who IMO has a lot to answer for in regard to the position we find ourselves in with salary cap. Remember Treloer was interested but we couldnt entertain it , was blamed because Crouch deal was done, but without Hannebroken on the books who knows.

What a joke , surely he isnt held that highly or that safe in his position that he can be involved in judging others ultimately he oversees ?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Get fit. Get some youngster with spark. That's the review

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty much telling us what we have all been saying all year but these blokes are professionals we are mere supporters . I can't say I have a lot of faith in their ability to turn it around but hey hope is all we have

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Part of Lethlean' role should be continually reviewing everything. Indeed that basically is his role.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The HS now saying there's also a review of the reviewers. Stated that Bassett began looking into things at the club and is disappointed with what he's finding.

This may actually end up as a real review.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:16pm The HS now saying there's also a review of the reviewers. Stated that Bassett began looking into things at the club and is disappointed with what he's finding.

Maybe but I doubt it :|

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:46pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:16pm The HS now saying there's also a review of the reviewers. Stated that Bassett began looking into things at the club and is disappointed with what he's finding.

Yes BL, I feel that but if I cannot get a premiership, hoping I can get a club that stands for something other than the cr@p we keep getting asked to pay for, then swallow.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:52pm
bangaulegend wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:46pm

Yes BL, I feel that but if I cannot get a premiership, hoping I can get a club that stands for something other than the cr@p we keep getting asked to pay for, then swallow.

I don't know your age & don't want to but I'm 58 & unless we become a lot more professional in how we run our football club even my kids won't see us winning a flag

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The review needs a focus on our inability to develop players.
Our players never seem to actually improve - in fact, a lot of them after a few seasons seem to actually lose ability and their skils regress!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3e2121e3ca

"An unofficial review into St Kilda’s entire operations has been underway for some weeks and it is Lethlean, 45, at the centre of much discussion."

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I really hope this is true
Let’s get serious let’s get an impartial view into the club - by all means let Lethlean do his thing but let him know we’ll take that abs feed it to an independent review.
Lethlean himself needs to be reviewed
Carlton already copping flack cause their review has senior figures involved ....who need to be part of a review!!
It’s not hard
Just ask Ross Lyon (on football only) to go through the joint and give you his opinion on how it’s run abs set up. He won’t shirk it .,,but the “inner club” mightn’t like the findings

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 10:47pm The review needs a focus on our inability to develop players.
Our players never seem to actually improve - in fact, a lot of them after a few seasons seem to actually lose ability and their skils regress!
The focus needs to be whole of club. Development is just one chapter in the review. Equal focus on all areas for mine.

Laurie
Club Player

I think it is obvious that there is disharmony at the club both in playing group and those running it.
Our recruiting has left egg on the face of some and they should be held accountable.
Our development o f players has gone backwards and this will hurt us for sometime.
It is a circus and ZIG and ZAG have to go.
To hear that Hannerbery has 18 months to go on his contract and we will keep him on our list and get his body right FFS Heard it all before.
PISS HIM OFF
SORRY Saints but you have lost my membership

scallopsroe
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 8:03pm Get fit. Get some youngster with spark. That's the review
Spot on.Build with a purpose and not to seek instant false glory. A failed & flawed strategy to date.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

It's an interesting read, and although someone made reference to our president being "invisible", I am very OK with that if he gets things done, and his history suggests very much that he is a man that gets things done.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Actually I'll correct Bassett's reaction, the article stated he's been surprised by what he's found. I am assuming the surprises aren't making him happy.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Is there a link to the article be good to read

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Montagna obviously still has contacts within the club and a lack of leadership on onfield voice has been raised again!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... fd5a386541

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 18 Jun 2021 12:18pm Is there a link to the article be good to read
Inside Saints’ crisis: Who is under most pressure?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 3e2121e3ca