A new saint with a whole lot of upside

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A new saint with a whole lot of upside

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: A new saint with a whole lot of upside

Thanks saynta.

All very positive that article, no mention of a first year, developing AFL player's supposed flaws, clearly not written by someone wearing beer goggles.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Is Highmore big/physical enough to ultimately play chb?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Very St Kilda like talking up a bloke who is too small and too slow to play as a key defender after losing the unlosable game. They have recruited yet another player with very a suspect kicking action, who has to continually take the short slow loopy options across defence. Lets no forget he played on Fogarty who has hardly been near it this year, in last year's wooden spoon side. Highmore is a bog average footballer and yet another very poor draft selection!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 12:38pm Very St Kilda like talking up a bloke who is too small and too slow to play as a key defender after losing the unlosable game. They have recruited yet another player with very a suspect kicking action, who has to continually take the short slow loopy options across defence. Lets no forget he played on Fogarty who has hardly been near it this year, in last year's wooden spoon side. Highmore is a bog average footballer and yet another very poor draft selection!
I will say his kicking is suspect but everything else you wrote is trying to find a negative. He beat Fogerty and did it easily. Also took some of the better marks you'll see in a game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 12:38pm Very St Kilda like talking up a bloke who is too small and too slow to play as a key defender after losing the unlosable game. They have recruited yet another player with very a suspect kicking action, who has to continually take the short slow loopy options across defence. Lets no forget he played on Fogarty who has hardly been near it this year, in last year's wooden spoon side. Highmore is a bog average footballer and yet another very poor draft selection!
I will say his kicking is suspect but everything else you wrote is trying to find a negative. He beat Fogerty and did it easily. Also took some of the better marks you'll see in a game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Your nick should be "Negative Nellie". FFS get a smile on your face for once. :roll: :roll:

I'm guessing it would not be much fun to have to deal with you in person on a regular basis.

Highmore is actually listed as being 193cm, which is exactly the same height as Roo who incidentally was a key position player. He is also the same height as Battle who every one wants to see play a key back role.

Frawley at 194cm is just one cm taller, as is Joyce, with Oscar listed at 195cm. All key backs FFS

Poor draft selections don't go on to take near record breaking numbers of intercept marks.

I don't know if Tom is slow or not, but then, neither do you.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 1:03pm
Your nick should be "Negative Nellie". FFS get a smile on your face for once. :roll: :roll:

I'm guessing it would not be much fun to have to deal with you in person on a regular basis.

Highmore is actually listed as being 193cm, which is exactly the same height as Roo who incidentally was a key position player. He is also the same height as Battle who every one wants to see play a key back role.

Frawley at 194cm is just one cm taller, as is Joyce, with Oscar listed at 195cm. All key backs FFS

Poor draft selections don't go on to take near record breaking numbers of intercept marks.

I don't know if Tom is slow or not, but then, neither do you.
It's not negative it's just the reality of the spin the club puts out. Mediocrity is a given at Morrabbin. How do you justify attempting to put out a positive spin after a loss like that?

The difference between he and Battle, is that Battle can run and carry and become an offensive player with his kicking and decision making.

I watched him play for Canberra Demons for a number of years and his game hasnt progressed at all. He was always a decent mark but that's all he brings to the table.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Tony74 isn't the only person from the club that reads this site, the club probably thought this joint is more negative than a cathode, let's give them something positive.

I'm also sure they knew people would only see the negative side of the player and want that negativity back in the foreground.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Gee, at least give the guy a chance. He's played 6 games, one as a sub where he had to play forward. Some of the same people on here were raving about Clavarino....makes no sense. The pitchforks are out because we're having a poor season and it seems like people are prepared to stick them into just about anyone on the list who isn't starring.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Spot on

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Banger9798
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 1:29pm Gee, at least give the guy a chance. He's played 6 games, one as a sub where he had to play forward. Some of the same people on here were raving about Clavarino....makes no sense. The pitchforks are out because we're having a poor season and it seems like people are prepared to stick them into just about anyone on the list who isn't starring.
No-one on the list is starring, some of them aren't even showing up to work.
We seem to revel in mediocrity.
Happy that Highmore had a good game, but all that has happened is we have unearthed a reasonable depth player, a C- role player who might occasionally play a B grade game....I just don't see any of the power teams in the competition patting themselves on the back for this sort of thing.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 1:29pm Gee, at least give the guy a chance. He's played 6 games, one as a sub where he had to play forward. Some of the same people on here were raving about Clavarino....makes no sense. The pitchforks are out because we're having a poor season and it seems like people are prepared to stick them into just about anyone on the list who isn't starring.

And maybe even the ones that are.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't think his kicking is all that bad.
I don't think many paid attention to Jason Blake, Robert Elphinstone or Jack Daniels.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 2:24pm I don't think his kicking is all that bad.
I don't think many paid attention to Jason Blake, Robert Elphinstone or Jack Daniels.
:wink: :D Jack was by far the worst kick we ever had at Moorabbin....and we recruited him twice.

darylcowie
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 2:29pm
magnifisaint wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 2:24pm I don't think his kicking is all that bad.
:wink: :D Jack was by far the worst kick we ever had at Moorabbin....and we recruited him twice.
I have to atand up for "Jack" there.
Daniels actually invented a new kick, the reverse drop punt, due to his unique ball dropping technique, which looked akin to a cook tossing a pancake!

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

darylcowie wrote: Wed 16 Jun 2021 4:45pm
I have to atand up for "Jack" there.
Daniels actually invented a new kick, the reverse drop punt, due to his unique ball dropping technique, which looked akin to a cook tossing a pancake!
The flap jack.

Sanctorum
Club Player

No question that Tom Highmore had a very good game up in Cairns and considering he has only played a handful at top level I believe the 23 year-old will only get better - at 193 cm with strong hands he could well develop into a solid CHB.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Club Player

Yes it is early days for Highmore and too early to write him off due to his kicking. Have a look at some of his highlights - from 2019 to now. Yes, they are highlights but he shows not just good disposal but an evasiveness that we may yet see. And, of course his marking prowess.
He may just need exposure to the pace of the game for things to gell.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Highmore looks a little taller and heavier than his profile suggests a focus on strength and weight gain would do wonders.
At 194 and 99kg, Fogarty is a solid unit. Tom certainly had his measure.
Sam Collins is 194 and 99kg, he goes ok.
Highmore is courageous, hard as nails, seems to read the play well, has very good hands and is 5 or 6kg away from potentially becoming a very good tall defender.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah saynta I agree Jack made James Manson from Collingwood the second worst kick I've ever seen at AFL level look half decent :wink:

Vazelos
Club Player

Highmore is an excellent intercept mark and is courageous.
He has some ability give the boy a go.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

In this day and age kicking from d50 is paramount

You can probably only carry a kpd who is an average kick, and they go the safe or long option more often than not

Blake played as a 3rd tall and just kicked short sideways to a Gram or Goddard

Highmore is a tall flanker, ala Roberton

In that role, his kicking is a concern

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t he touted as being an excellent kick when we recruited him. They were claiming he was a mini Wilke.

Why did they bother recruiting him if he can’t kick off HB?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt had a shocker of a kicking action. Upside wasnt an issue though.