Thursdays Saints question time?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thursdays Saints question time?

Some well-intentioned stuff, they're well-drilled in saying the right things.

TLDR: Lots of blame on injuries. They know something is wrong but they can't figure out how to fix it. Can't figure out why some players aren't giving enough effort.

===========

Rath came across well at the time, but looking back, a fair bit was stating the obvious. I was curious that he seemed to only identify stuff now that was immediately obvious to many last year and this year. We seem to have a football department that is really slow to pick up on trends around a) the group and b) the opposition. They have worked out the fact that "there's a gap between connection (very good) and performance (very bad)", but he didn't seem to indicate how this could be fixed. Patience, patience, patience seems to be his mantra. Doesn't quite seem to grasp the urgency of the situation - you can be left behind in this industry, and we are. That'd be fine if we weren't in this 10-year long rebuild with no end in sight.

Lethlean made some good comments around Hannebery ("It hasn't worked") and Frawley/McKernan ("They haven't given us what we wanted"). Call it a dry personality, but that sarcastic remark at the end "I'm sure that'll please the St Kilda members" was unnecessary - you're on our team. I've defended him over the years but his personality grates; he really does hate having to explain his decisions, especially to fans. He cannot conceal his contempt for anyone outside his work/social bubble. Does grasp the urgency but seems annoyed that he's found himself in a role within the AFL where he's stuck with low-performers who aren't enriching his profile.

Ratten says all the right things about no excuses and resilience but it's clear to all now - the players privately know he's a soft touch and they're pretty happy to skate around his words, knowing there won't be repercussions. He's trying to talk tough but the players see through him. Such a good, ethical man but he's lost the ability to infuse them with the hunger for battle. Would make a great player welfare manager.

In summary, I appreciate these guys making themselves available to the Members, but this should be the MINIMUM for a Member-owned club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

AFL.com have a bit of a summary on today's meeting.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/632308/play ... nts-review

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Connection is very good?

I know "connection" has been a big focus as part of the Ratten mantra, however I just have one question, what does it even mean?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

You have to wonder what the club hoped to gain from that exercise? I got the impression that they had been told to do it perhaps from the board?

Lethlean looked like he didnt want to be there.
Rath claimed its not fitness and blamed the players lack of effort.
Ratten was absolutely clueless, he still thinks Battles best position is wing.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Only one "pleasing" from Ratts right at the end.

Nothing unexpected!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I always get surprised when you get some inner sanctum access, how underwhelming it is.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I had better thiings to do, inuding welcoming a new sainter into the family

devil saint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:33pm I had better thiings to do, inuding welcoming a new sainter into the family

Congratulations, Saynta!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:33pm I had better thiings to do, inuding welcoming a new sainter into the family
Congrats Saynta!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations old bean!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

devil saint wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:45pm

Congratulations, Saynta!
Don't make him/her a Sainter, it's cruel!
Let them follow another sport.
Not AFL.

Too heartbreaking

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Did anybody ask about players failing to develop after coming to us?

Or the club's reserves affiliation with Sandringham which is clearly a bust?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 8:33pm Some well-intentioned stuff, they're well-drilled in saying the right things.

TLDR: Lots of blame on injuries. They know something is wrong but they can't figure out how to fix it. Can't figure out why some players aren't giving enough effort.

===========

Rath came across well at the time, but looking back, a fair bit was stating the obvious. I was curious that he seemed to only identify stuff now that was immediately obvious to many last year and this year. We seem to have a football department that is really slow to pick up on trends around a) the group and b) the opposition. They have worked out the fact that "there's a gap between connection (very good) and performance (very bad)", but he didn't seem to indicate how this could be fixed. Patience, patience, patience seems to be his mantra. Doesn't quite seem to grasp the urgency of the situation - you can be left behind in this industry, and we are. That'd be fine if we weren't in this 10-year long rebuild with no end in sight.

Lethlean made some good comments around Hannebery ("It hasn't worked") and Frawley/McKernan ("They haven't given us what we wanted"). Call it a dry personality, but that sarcastic remark at the end "I'm sure that'll please the St Kilda members" was unnecessary - you're on our team. I've defended him over the years but his personality grates; he really does hate having to explain his decisions, especially to fans. He cannot conceal his contempt for anyone outside his work/social bubble. Does grasp the urgency but seems annoyed that he's found himself in a role within the AFL where he's stuck with low-performers who aren't enriching his profile.

Ratten says all the right things about no excuses and resilience but it's clear to all now - the players privately know he's a soft touch and they're pretty happy to skate around his words, knowing there won't be repercussions. He's trying to talk tough but the players see through him. Such a good, ethical man but he's lost the ability to infuse them with the hunger for battle. Would make a great player welfare manager.

In summary, I appreciate these guys making themselves available to the Members, but this should be the MINIMUM for a Member-owned club.
Outstanding and incisive summary.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Congratulations Saynta

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CarlD
Club Player

So Lethlean says Hannebery hasn't worked out while Ratts is still trying to get him fit for the next 18 months. Hmm .... :?

older saint
SS Life Member

Few dorethy Dix questions and a couple of the perceived harder questions which would have been briefed on. All the later questions were relataively easy.

Rath seems like a well balanced operator who knows his area he is responsible for.

The question about injured players being recruited - initially they tried to exclude Hannebery and talked of Frawley and McKernan, then a specific question came and i thought Lethlean was captain obvious with his response.
Being public school educated Lethelan comes across as the stereo type - i am better than you - private school lad. Reality may be way off the mark but i just dont think he endeers himself to the supporters through actions or words .

AT least they put themselves out there and addressed some questions we have , may not like the answers, but at least got them

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 18 Jun 2021 8:55am
saynta wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 9:33pm I had better thiings to do, including welcoming a new sainter into the family
Congratulations Saynta
Thanks mate. :lol: Mum and my grandson both doing well.

repta
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Thu 17 Jun 2021 8:33pm Some well-intentioned stuff, they're well-drilled in saying the right things.

===========

Is this from inside the club or just from observation from the outside. ??

Certainly would appear to be correct from the outside. Ratts appears to be a 'lovely' man. But so is my elderly neighbour who gives me apricots. I would put neither in charge of a multi million dollar business.

There does not seem to be any 'killer' in Ratts at all. There is an ability to have both a high EQ and also be ruthless. It is a matter of application and direction. Ratts just looks like a tubby marshmellow to me. There is no iron core to either make the hard decision, call players (and officials) to account and heard the team in the correct direction.

Yesterday he looked dazed and confused.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The die was cast during pre-season. Most of what's occurred in relation to on-field performance has stemmed from that. That's why Ratten looks lost. He knows the preparation was inadequate and he is powerless to change something that happened 7 months ago. It's not necessarily about killer instinct in the coach. No one was complaining about him last year. But the approach from everyone at the club from this point forward is put in as much work as possible to prepare for a better 2022

scallopsroe
Club Player

I keenly await the end of season clean out where under performing players and other poor performing personnel closely associated with the on-field playing group are shown the door. End of season is the time to be pragmatic and not let emotions rule. Mistakes have been made, nobody should lose face by owning up to these misjudgments.
The misjudgements being poor recruiting selections and risks taken with certain recruiting selections, fitness level of the playing group, the inability to move under performing players on, questionable match day selections. Also bad luck such as injuries to key players should be taken into account before we howl down the coach.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 18 Jun 2021 1:26pm The die was cast during pre-season. Most of what's occurred in relation to on-field performance has stemmed from that. That's why Ratten looks lost. He knows the preparation was inadequate and he is powerless to change something that happened 7 months ago. It's not necessarily about killer instinct in the coach. No one was complaining about him last year. But the approach from everyone at the club from this point forward is put in as much work as possible to prepare for a better 2022
Good call
He does look completely at a loss though Brett

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Our resident ITK says 2 Assistants are gone during the bye.

Strange because who is available to step in at short notice?
Which currently serving assistants will be able to break a contract at their current club to come to us?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
seano1
Club Player

Hanners in coaches box , look to geary he puts in , some guys on here don’t have much time for him but I generally think he will end up coaching us at some stage . On Instagram I follow a few players and one bloke whose injured is always fishing, hanners rarely posts.

seano1
Club Player

Maybe they are not giving us any credit with their answer to questions but if they don’t get the members money for next year then they will see how we feel. There’ll be no premiership next year or the year after , we need more kids like in the past we need 7 -8 core young ones to build on

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

FMD. Haven’t see it but just going off all the comments this is really concerning.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.