Is Ratten safe?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Ratten safe?

I hope Ratts stays and succeeds. But i don't know about the rest of them. And have you thought of this? He might actually choose to leave on his own volition. Poor bastard looks pretty stressed.

PS. He must have known thus was a high possibility this year. Lethean also knew and one of them leaked it, hence the gaff about 2022!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Yep and the only reason he is, is we can’t afford to pay out his and Hannebery’s contract at the end of this year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Hannebery

I think Ratts is safe because he wasn't the one involved in his recruitment. Lethlean and the CEO have created the Hannabery mess that now has further consequences Imo.

Half the issues surrounding team disharmony can be traced back to the Hannebery debacle.

Maybe they could have kept Savage. Maybe we could have had Treloar. Adam selected St Kilda as his first preference didn't he?
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 15 Jun 2021 10:25am, edited 1 time in total.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well unless there is an improvement in effort for the rest of the season I fear he will not be safe. At least Board have not yet come out in support, but Ratts is starting to describe performances as unacceptable too often for comfort. Then actually accept them.

Coach(s) goes first, then the Football Department heads then CEO. The management will always try a human sacrifice to deflect before the tap on their shoulders. A good management team would now negotiate a quick end to the Hannebery debacle. That's a good management team.

Never imagined this would even be a plausible scenario at the start of the season. Geary's book when/if it comes out might shed light on what has gone terribly wrong. Tony74 could give us a hint, of course, if he dared.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ratten is safe. It's St Kilda that's not safe.
That says it all!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
repta
Club Player

I am not a fan, however we need to fix

1. Recruiting strategy. the Top up rubbish has to stop immediately. The list needs an overhaul. One of the oldest sides in the league and just pushing to get into the finals (well on the slide this year).

2. Forward coaches MUST GO. Membery is the only player that has any idea of how to kick at goal. Most of the others look like they are on a hot coals with no shoes.
Our forward structure and ability to convert has cost us the finals. 50 Goals: 74 points from the last 6 games is unacceptable. That does count the additional 20 or so shots that went out on the full or didnt make the distance.

repta
Club Player

soft cap wont allow for the pay out of Ratts.
He will need to come up with something as his contract was 3 years from 2020 onwards

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 4:22pm One word 'ABSOLUTELY'. He hasn't had his best side to pick from all year, plus IMO the team went into the season completely under done fitness wise. Tony74 suggested two assistants will get the push over the bye and another two at seasons end.

Lets see how Ratts goes with a refreshed coaching panel and a fit and available team. I believe things will change quickly for the positive and we wont be having these discussions. Take the equilavence of Marshall, Jones & Paton out of Melbourne Gawn, Petracca & Salem and see how the Dees go? Ratts is a good coach, this year has tested his resilience but he will bounce back!
Two words. NO WAY. The results this year have been abysmal. beyond our worst expectations. We have the 2nd worst % in the league. We have now played 12 games and won 5. I reckon we've played really well in 2 games, and one of them was a loss (Cats)

All the bad habits from previous years have returned and barely any players have developed. Worryingly our supposed young guns coming through have either gone backwards or at best, stalled, Clarke, Coffield, King.

Also worryingly is that the players seem to pick and choose when they will try. This smacks of a terrible game plan which requires absolute premium effort from players to be competitive. Gawn and Petracca are close to the two best players in competition. Marshall's loss has been critical to us but come on :lol:

For mine Ratten has had enough time and I reckon he's a poor coach. Continues to play 3 x small fwds, one of which is clearly no where near good enough (Lonie)
Wants to be the players best friend. Last year is looking more and more like an anomaly caused by circumstances.

Take this as you want and plenty will carry on. But I'm hearing that DH influence around the young players is less than ideal and certain leaders in the team feel powerless to stop it and are completely frustrated. As am I when I hear this crap from a very good source. We wouldn't expect 'Cuddles' Ratten to do anything though.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote: Tue 15 Jun 2021 2:52pm soft cap wont allow for the pay out of Ratts.
He will need to come up with something as his contract was 3 years from 2020 onwards
Maximum 6 month payout in coaches contracts nowadays, as implemented by the AFL.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 10:38pm Yes i believe so although a couple of his assistants would be a little nervous.
Hamill and Skobalak need to be replaced.
Injuries have not been kind to us as well this year.
Lade not well thought of out of Port and Tigers..,,I’d be asking him to move on .,
Pray we can prize some decent upgrades from successful outfits
Really love a respected Director of Football appointment too to oversee footy dep
Lyon ?

“Yeah….nah””
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: Tue 15 Jun 2021 11:28pm
Laurie wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 10:38pm Yes i believe so although a couple of his assistants would be a little nervous.
Hamill and Skobalak need to be replaced.
Injuries have not been kind to us as well this year.
Lade not well thought of out of Port and Tigers..,,I’d be asking him to move on .,
Pray we can prize some decent upgrades from successful outfits
Really love a respected Director of Football appointment too to oversee footy dep
Lyon ?
:wink: