The Hunter headclash

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The Hunter headclash

Matthew Nicks reckons that was the game changer
They hadn't scored yet
When Adelaide saw a senior player commit to a contest they started to win the contested ball

Trouble is, Hunter Clark contested just as hard and the response of his team was to throw in the towel.

Are we scared?

We have just sent out the signal to every other clib that we can be bullied into submission

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Hunter headclash

Our problem was that we couldn’t convert plenty of opportunities after half time and couldn’t move the ball at all in the last.

I doubt the Clark incident had anything to do with it.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

36-0, one way traffic, they take out one of our players, we go to water....we are the most easily intimidated side in the comp.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Clark’s act of courageous should have inspired the rest of the team, but they only seemed to go into their shells after that happened. WTAF!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if it was Ben Long in Mackay’s place if the channel 7 commentators would have said that Ben was ‘going for the footy’

Farcccking wankers!!

Paddy Dangerfield copped 3 weeks because he chose to bump and broke Kelly’s jaw.

If that was Ben Long going for the footy and he broke someone’s jaw, the Adelaide Football Club would have wanted to take it outside the AFL...probably get him charged with assault in the magistrates court.

SaintDippa
Club Player

3 weeks. Cannot be anything less. Chose to bump. Precedents have been set. High contact, high impact. Broken jaw. In 2021 and forward it's a holiday.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:16pm 3 weeks. Cannot be anything less. Chose to bump. Precedents have been set. High contact, high impact. Broken jaw. In 2021 and forward it's a holiday.
The MRO will make his decision, it may even go straight to the tribunal.

Then there will be the appeals process, who knows what the final outcome will be.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:45pm I wonder if it was Ben Long in Mackay’s place if the channel 7 commentators would have said that Ben was ‘going for the footy’

Farcccking wankers!!

Paddy Dangerfield copped 3 weeks because he chose to bump and broke Kelly’s jaw.

If that was Ben Long going for the footy and he broke someone’s jaw, the Adelaide Football Club would have wanted to take it outside the AFL...probably get him charged with assault in the magistrates court.
The commentators only looked at Mackay's hands before the incident (no accident) but failed to comment on both his feet leaving the ground as he jumped into Clark with his shoulder. Matthew Richardson's comments of Fox504 as accurate as his kicking.
Last edited by ace on Sun 13 Jun 2021 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Whatever the result, it was gutsy from both. Eyes for the ball, a quick glance in anticipation of contact, eyes back to the ball.
Go hard or go home. Tragic for Hunter, hopefully a full speedy recovery for him.
No doubt there will be a lot of scrutiny and arguments, but I love that part of this game. Raises the hairs on the back of your neck and can inspire those around you.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

The point isn't so much whether it attracts weeks, it is about the responses of the two teams.

One inspired the other demoralised

Where is the combative aggro?

older saint
SS Life Member

Probably wont be popular but no case to answer. Both went hard at the ball, no one had possession so choice to bump isn't in question as couldn't tackle. Clark got lower and unluckily got hit. Unlike Dangerfield who could have tackled.
Part of the game and nothing more than bad luck.

Christian however is like the Vic lockdown rule s- inconsistent so who knows what will happen

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The Adelaide player didn't go hard at the ball - he went hard at the St Kilda player - with his hip and shoulder - and his shoulder hit the St Kilda player in the head.

Up until that stage, our matchups were working very well. We were unable to adjust - Hunter Clarke was playing OK with 8 disposals in less than half a game- his replacement had no impact with 4 disposals in more than half a game.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:07pm The Adelaide player didn't go hard at the ball - he went hard at the St Kilda player - with his hip and shoulder - and his shoulder hit the St Kilda player in the head.

Up until that stage, our matchups were working very well. We were unable to adjust - Hunter Clarke was playing OK with 8 disposals in less than half a game- his replacement had no impact with 4 disposals in more than half a game.
He went hard at the ball. No doubt about it. He just got there first.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:45pm I wonder if it was Ben Long in Mackay’s place if the channel 7 commentators would have said that Ben was ‘going for the footy’

Farcccking wankers!!

If they are fair dinkum about protecting the head they MUST give Mackay a holiday. He saw Clark coming and decided to connect with Clark’s head.

It cost us not only the four points, but a key playmaker for 4-6 weeks. A broken jaw FFS.

If he gets off scott free, let’s give permission to Ben Long out to do the same to a key opposition player next week. While in play and going for the ball, of course.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:14pm
perfectionist wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:07pm The Adelaide player didn't go hard at the ball - he went hard at the St Kilda player - with his hip and shoulder - and his shoulder hit the St Kilda player in the head.

still got him in the head and broke his jaw. has to be three weeks minimum.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:39pm

I never said he would get off or get suspended. Just said he went hard at the ball, not passed it. He might get 3 weeks, but at full speed it just looked brutal, not illegal. His intent was clearly to get to the ball first. He did.
Hill pulls out of those and we call him a squib.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’m not giving Adelaide the benefit of the doubt. Cost us a key player for 4-6 weeks PLUS the four points.

I reckon he saw Clark with eyes fixed on the ball and made the split second decision to take him out. Which he did in a brutal and illegal fashion

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 3:00pm I’m not giving Adelaide the benefit of the doubt. Cost us a key player for 4-6 weeks PLUS the four points.

I reckon he saw Clark with eyes fixed on the ball and made the split second decision to take him out. Which he did in a brutal and illegal fashion
I wouldn't argue with that, if its found to be illegal.
He saw Clark alright, then refocused on the ball and didn't hold back, with his front leg, the one on the impact side raised, the other leg was still on the ground and he turned an went hands out for the ball.
Clark came in lower and coped the shoulder, that's all true.
If the tribunal wishes to be seen as consistent he is a goner. It should be deemed reckless but not intentional.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:53pm

I never said he would get off or get suspended. Just said he went hard at the ball, not passed it. He might get 3 weeks, but at full speed it just looked brutal, not illegal. His intent was clearly to get to the ball first. He did.
Yeah, nah...You need to replay the incident. He didn’t get to it first

I don’t think you’re seeing it in the context of the modern game with all the rule changes, medical subs and concussion protocols. They are there for a reason.

The speed of AFL is a bit different to ‘back in the day...” The modern AFL professional athlete doesn’t play the way most of us grew up playing footy. There’s no speccys every five minutes or impact collisions every five minutes.

I know people hate watching footy when it’s keepings off, or running from one end to the other without any opposition getting near it, and I know it’s exciting when there’s a collision and it may have inspired his team mates, but how many times in the last 4-5 years have you heard; ‘if you choose to bump....’?

Did he attempt a tackle or did he bump?

You don’t get to play footy for as long as Mackay has and not realise that you’re going to be second to the contest. His intent changed the split second that he knew he’d be second to the footy. Did he even lay a finger on the footy.

These guys have made hundreds of split second decisions in their careers. He has to cop weeks if they are fair dinkum about protecting the head.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Word is “no case to answer”. Meanwhile Hunter is eating through a straw for a couple of weeks

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 3:33pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:53pm

Yeah, nah...You need to replay the incident. He didn’t get to it first

I don’t think you’re seeing it in the context of the modern game with all the rule changes, medical subs and concussion protocols. They are there for a reason.

The speed of AFL is a bit different to ‘back in the day...” The modern AFL professional athlete doesn’t play the way most of us grew up playing footy. There’s no speccys every five minutes or impact collisions every five minutes.

I know people hate watching footy when it’s keepings off, or running from one end to the other without any opposition getting near it, and I know it’s exciting when there’s a collision and it may have inspired his team mates, but how many times in the last 4-5 years have you heard; ‘if you choose to bump....’?

Did he attempt a tackle or did he bump?

You don’t get to play footy for as long as Mackay has and not realise that you’re going to be second to the contest. His intent changed the split second that he knew he’d be second to the footy. Did he even lay a finger on the footy.

These guys have made hundreds of split second decisions in their careers. He has to cop weeks if they are fair dinkum about protecting the head.
Good points but he came in harder and faster with intent that was clear from the time he initially decided to attack the contest..
Under the new rules, his bump was reckless. I wouldn't have him attack the ball any other way,

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he should go but I thought the same with Ben Long when he had his hip head butted, look how that turned out.

I am equally as disappointed with the side's response from that moment, tragically limp.

On Matthew Richardson, is he Special Comments or just Obvious Comments? He's painful to listen to regardless of who's playing.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Isn't the head sacrosanct?

Mackay's intent might have been the ball but he turned to bump and got Clark in the head and broke his jaw

The fact there was no free awarded is a disgrace in itself

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Really the rules committee should ban the bump. If they want to avoid these situations then that's what they have to do.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Farcccking wankers!!

Could not agree more. Same if it was Steven Baker.

He left the ground, went pass the ball and chose to bump hit him in the head and broke his jaw. = weeks. The commentators said the exact opposite. Do they have eyes?