Whats happened to Coffield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Whats happened to Coffield

Seems a shadow of what he was last year . I think they threw him forward to give him a release of pressure but he is not a forward needs to back go & hopefully gain some sort of confidence , just looks lost :(

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Re: Whats happened to Coffield

He’s tagging Smith!

PADDLEPOP1000
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 9:49pm He’s tagging Smith!
Yes I think he is playing a defensive forward role.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 9:43pm Seems a shadow of what he was last year . I think they threw him forward to give him a release of pressure but he is not a forward needs to back go & hopefully gain some sort of confidence , just looks lost :(
Whilst not setting the world on fire, has not lost a contest and provides pressure. Obviously a better bet forward than Highmore who has been excellent across half back tonight.

A victim of having the ability to play in all parts of the ground without the benefit of training in them all.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

But in general, Coff is not the player who was just about BOG in the final vs Dogs and had been terrific all year.

He is playing like a bloke recovering from glandular fever or something

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

A defensive forward well that has worked well

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

He is also being asked to play Membrey's position. High praise if you ask me. Membrey has had 6 years to make that his position, Coff has had 6 days. Ease up.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 10:32pm He is also being asked to play Membrey's position. High praise if you ask me. Membrey has had 6 years to make that his position, Coff has had 6 days. Ease up.
Well he is not doing either very well IMO

B.M
Saintsational Legend

1-he is not very good
2-he’s being played out of position and has no idea what he’s doing
3- Like Long, King and a few others, has lost all confidence

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:12pm 1-he is not very good
Have you coached?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hard to believe Coffield is a N0. 8 draft pick.

If we trade Billings we could end up with another Coffield. :shock: :shock:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Banger9798
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:12pm 1-he is not very good
He was good last year, at times looked every bit a number 8 draft pick coming into his own....looks sick this year, Play Station eyes, no aggression at all.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think the word you’re looking for is soft?!

I don’t consider anyone playing at league level soft - but some are harder than others.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

One of the real bright spots last year was getting guys like Clark, Coffield, Long and Paton into the defence ahead of guys like McKenzie, Savage and Webster. Thing have gone horribly wrong this year. Roughead broke Paton and the other three have all gone various degrees of backwards.

The way we're using them is baffling as well. Last week, Clark spent the first twelve minutes on the bench before coming on and playing forward, rotating through the midfield and wing and, eventually, winding up in defence. This week, it was Coffield's turn to play forward. I thought he was tagging Smith in the first quarter, but after that it just seemed he was playing as a forward. He didn't do much. If we weren't so injured, I'd say he'd be getting dropped again next week. He's probably getting dropped anyway.

Coffield is still only 21, so there's plenty of time to turn things around - but he's at a crossroads. So is whoever is in charge of our back-6, because too many players in that area of the ground have gone too far backwards.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:51am I think the word you’re looking for is soft?!

I don’t consider anyone playing at league level soft - but some are harder than others.
Such a cop out statement.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Coffield lacks the appropriate level of attack and ferocity at the contest. He is tentative and at times timid. That's reality.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

We have two players with 'ferocity' - long and battle. Unfortunately, neither of them knows what they're doing. We had the option of hanging onto Parker. Then we'd have had a set though God knows what we'd have done with em.

Soft coffield may be down on form but he's got more skill in his pinky..

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Coffield has ability, no doubt, but it's what's going on between his ears that will make or break him as an AFL player. Right now, he needs to push to that next level of intensity. Sinclair has finally done it this year and he's a better player because of it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I want to know what’s happened to Battle, Coffield, Butler, Long, Clark.
So many players that last year were going to be the core of our next successful decade have gone backwards and look like treacle. Something is not well at St.KFC. When a whole group of collectively talented and promising players just lose their way and consistently play like shadows of their potential, there must be something collective going on. They’re a talented bunch of players FFS. So f***** sad. Just like the bloody Richo era. Our development of young players is hopeless.

loris
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:51am I think the word you’re looking for is soft?!

Except Jamie Cripps eh?

loris
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 8:16am I want to know what’s happened to Battle, Coffield, Butler, Long, Clark.
So many players that last year were going to be the core of our next successful decade have gone backwards and look like treacle. Something is not well at St.KFC. When a whole group of collectively talented and promising players just lose their way and consistently play like shadows of their potential, there must be something collective going on. They’re a talented bunch of players FFS. So f***** sad. Just like the bloody Richo era. Our development of young players is hopeless.
Just a thought for consideration......... most of our young players in that 2020 year were very closely supervised due to the COVID YEAR, All living in a kind of lockdown in Qld. Living in close quarters with coaches, senior team leaders etc, only able to go out surfing, fishing and cafes for coffee. Not much time to be doing what the young footy players usually do to let off steam, especially at night time.

Actually I can remember seeing a video on the Saints.com.au early in the careers of Clark, Coffield, Paton & someone else. They all lived together, it was typical of young players living together, laughing about who couldn’t cook, who was messy & didn’t clean the house etc. & the hours they kept.

Then the next year (I think it was) I read where Clark went to live back at home with parents and Paton had moved in with Gears & his wife. Those 2 players seemed to mature in their footy nouse at the time, more so than Coff & the other house member who no longer is with the Saints.
Another player I can recall who moved in with Gears in his early time at the Saints was Billings, who eventually became a member of the leadership group.
When Newnes was living with Seb Ross & his then partner, that was when Newnes was playing at his best. Newnes’ form dropped off when he moved out.

Some young lads need to be in the right company or have strict boundaries to keep them focussed.

Maybe, just maybe some of those young fellows you mention St B are the types that need very close structure in their lives to keep performing at their best????????

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I partly agree with Loris - except I think they're suffering from a lack of structure on field. When a caretaker coach first comes in, the shackles come off - whatever game plan's been the go, there's new freedom. My sense is that Ratten encouraged them to play their own game - so there's excitement and everyone's playing on instinct and it's great fun. But it can only take you so far. Some players - most players - need a role. We're a rabble out there. They're all trying to play to their strengths before they even know what their strengths are. Someone needs to tell them what to do and let them put 100% into doing that. The other thing of course is that we seem to have a new philosophy that there are more important things than football. Well, yes, of course there are. But I'd sooner they weren't thinking that while they're bloody playing!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Coffield in particular looks to have bulked up in the off season and consequently looks slow and stoggy. He was never quick, but has lost all aerobic fitness and is struggling with the speed of the game.

I am not a huge fan and believe he was a poor draft selection at pick # 8, but he needs to get himself much fitter to make the most of his time in the game.

lewdogs
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 14 Jun 2021 11:54am Coffield in particular looks to have bulked up in the off season and consequently looks slow and stoggy. He was never quick, but has lost all aerobic fitness and is struggling with the speed of the game.

I am not a huge fan and believe he was a poor draft selection at pick # 8, but he needs to get himself much fitter to make the most of his time in the game.
Totally agree, looks too big. Think the same of Battle.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Has changed his name to Coffup.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.