Is Billings gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Billings gone?

Moods wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:13pm I rate Billings as the biggest disappointment on our list considering what we drafted him for. Has played 6-7 seasons, has only once finished in top 5 of B&F once or twice, generally inconsistent with goal kicking and when we need someone to stand up it’s rarely him who does it. Tonight’s game a prime example.

He’s on ridiculous money considering his output
Well said
There are muppets here who just don’t get it
He’s a nice HFF who CANT play mid. We need genuine mids. There are some good ones top end this draft. Get picks and pray someone offers Jack 750 plus cause he can go that ought to go close to first round pick and I’d take it
He does not stand up when you need him and is an overrated top 3 pick
Face facts
And before all these “let’s keep Jack” bandwagoners jump on...,,do tell us all how you are going to improve our draft position this year??????? We have 1 pick them next is what 58????? How the **** are we going to improve this list if we don’t offer guys we can cover ?
He’s gone our only hope is these moron recruiters don’t recruit some left field athletic hack who may one day come good but what other choices do we have??? We have to improve this list - tonight surely demonstrates that ??

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:45pm
Moods wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:13pm I rate Billings as the biggest disappointment on our list considering what we drafted him for. Has played 6-7 seasons, has only once finished in top 5 of B&F once or twice, generally inconsistent with goal kicking and when we need someone to stand up it’s rarely him who does it. Tonight’s game a prime example.

Well said
He’s a nice HFF who CANT play mid. We need genuine mids. There are some good ones top end this draft. Get picks and pray someone offers Jack 750 plus cause he can go that ought to go close to first round pick and I’d take it
Face facts
And before all these “let’s keep Jack” bandwagoners jump on...,,do tell us all how you are going to improve our draft position this year??????? We have 1 pick them next is what 58????? How the **** are we going to improve this list if we don’t offer guys we can cover ?
He’s gone our only hope is these moron recruiters don’t recruit some left field athletic hack who may one day come good but what other choices do we have??? We have to improve this list - tonight surely demonstrates that ??
You are starting to waver Teflon, now you are thinking he may get us close to a first round pick. Not quite the top end you refer to but I enjoy your narrative.

I guess I'm a muppet you refer to, so be it. You say we need genuine mids and he's not one so let's rid ourselves of these non genuine mids we currently have.

Who is it we have that can easily replace Billings? A poster said he has ONLY had two top 5 finishes in 7 or 8 seasons, not counting this year which could well make 3. Let's get rid of him, keep all the others that struggle to make Top 10 and keep our fingers crossed pick 14+ pays off.

You said yourself we have moron recruiters yet you believe they can make pick 14+ better than pick 3 from 8 years ago? That's faith, that's trust, that's delusional.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:44pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:39pm I'm not saying he is not a required player but WTF was that tonight
He's the only one you question? Feel free to ask that of 21 others. Clark, quite rightly, gets a pass.
No mate if you have seen my other posts it's not just JB we really are a rabble from the top to the bottom & I love the Saints & always will but you really have to wonder what's happening ATM because it is becoming a very big concern IMO anyway

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:00am

Well said
Face facts
You are starting to waver Teflon, now you are thinking he may get us close to a first round pick. Not quite the top end you refer to but I enjoy your narrative.

I guess I'm a muppet you refer to, so be it. You say we need genuine mids and he's not one so let's rid ourselves of these non genuine mids we currently have.

Who is it we have that can easily replace Billings? A poster said he has ONLY had two top 5 finishes in 7 or 8 seasons, not counting this year which could well make 3. Let's get rid of him, keep all the others that struggle to make Top 10 and keep our fingers crossed pick 14+ pays off.

You said yourself we have moron recruiters yet you believe they can make pick 14+ better than pick 3 from 8 years ago? That's faith, that's trust, that's delusional.
Geezus Ghost you were so close......
Billings is HFF /small forward (but too slow to play there constantly)
Gresham can do that job AND play bursts through the middle (he can’t play full time mid)
Hit the draft, get a Sonsie who plays genuine mid, has pace, goes forward abs can also kick goals and uses it well with good decisions ....
JB to North
I’m not waivering...I’m happy to let him go for 1st rounder (if he netted top 10 happy days) but as others have said....1 top 5 B&F finish in 5 years tells you all you need to know
He’d be great in a top side where he gets let’s pressure...but right now has more value to us elsewhere
I’m still waiting for you to tell me how you are going to get us back in this draft????? Trading Hanners???

“Yeah….nah””
axcellence
Club Player

Don't take me seriously guys... I finally stopped watching matches this year... Just catching highlights here and there.

I am becoming more indifferent now as even my kids have lost interest in footy.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon, I'm not getting into the quoting after quoting. I've already told you how we right our list, it does not start with getting rid of our better players but our worst. We need to wear we have burnt trades and butchered selections.

We also need to ensure we stop burning our future draft picks otherwise you & I will be arguing for a decade.

I must ask though, what value does he have elsewhere that you don't value? Do you know more than another AFL club? Or are you dreaming? (I'm sure you're a Castle fan)

saintkid
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:36pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:22pm I simply cannot believe some posters in this thread about how much they pump Billings' worth and ego. Please watch tonight's game objectively and WITHOUT rose coloured glasses on. He was very poor tonight. No leadership, no toughness, no X factor at all. He regularly goes missing when it matters.
Oh SK, you've been building to this, wishing for this for 5 years now. You must be feeling pretty chuffed. If JB still has a Top 5 B&F finish is he still the one to be jettisoned? Is he still the player holding us back?

Leadership would be determined by his team mates I'm guessing and they believe he has it.

Toughness, well that's subjective but I do not recall him shirking an issue or squibbing a contest. Perhaps enlighten me on toughness.

Oh & what the fvck has X factor got to do with anything? What is it? & who else has it?

Tonight was a pitiful effort against a bottom side but a club with pride. I think the answer is there not in our better players who didn’t have their best game.
Ghost Like, firstly your post about Lonie and drafting more like him, is quite surprising, an irrelevant comparison and wreaks of desperate defending. Lonie is about as poor a player as you can get. As I posted earlier in the match thread, without attacking the guy (unlike others), he is a VFL player at best.

Your defending of Billings borders on the ridiculous. Any chance you get, you talk about him as if he is A grade. Well, for your information, he is not. That is MY point. Are you related to him perhaps?

Billings is a one-dimensional footballer that's what I mean by X factor and yes, he has NO on-field leadership and he struggles to win a contested ball often. That's where it matters, on match day, not at training or at club meets. He goes missing regularly when he is needed. As for the best and fairest, if he finally, this year, finishes in the top 5 in a woeful year, well 'whoopy do'.

Thank you again for your attack. As someone who comes from a family of high achievers, I call a 'spade a spade' when needed. It's nothing to do with 'building /wishing for 5 years, or whatever you have stated here or in the past. Again, seriously? You seem to write in a different tone when it comes to Billings and you keep harping on it. Billings actually has pulled out of contests before. I was at a Melbourne game a few years ago and he blatantly 'squibbed' a contest. Several people saw it. Search the forum and you will find this. It was clearly reported by posters here, among other instances.

You can have your opinion, no problem. I don't agree with you and respect my thoughts. As I said, I have assessed his career performances objectively and openly without bias. Tonight was another of many examples of his mediocrity, going missing when it matters.

By the way, in your last sentence, drawing on your own conclusion, "I think the answer is there not in our better players who didn’t have their best game", it is they're not there. :)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:20am Teflon, I'm not getting into the quoting after quoting. I've already told you how we right our list, it does not start with getting rid of our better players but our worst. We need to wear we have burnt trades and butchered selections.

We also need to ensure we stop burning our future draft picks otherwise you & I will be arguing for a decade.

I must ask though, what value does he have elsewhere that you don't value? Do you know more than another AFL club? Or are you dreaming? (I'm sure you're a Castle fan)
He’s a good player in a good side
We ain’t a good side and are 3-5 years off being one
So less value to us now than to another side who can use him??? It’s pretty clear how that works..
And how does “we just have to wear bad trades” help us at the next draft???
You have to give to get - it’s simple trading
Billings is I’m sure worth more to another club at a different stage than he is to Saints where we are at??
Cash in
Get ba k in the draft
Tell our recruisers don’t be cute - do t be smart don’t overthink it get the best **** mid
Ironic that some online phantom draft watchers pick better than AFL recruiters.....maybe in future this career becomes limited (sorry....dreaming ahead..)
Anyway you’ve still not told me how we improve our draft position this year ??

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I expected Billings was a certainty to leave, and to get a $700k contract offer elsewhere.

He's battled away this year but his value has fallen. He's a 550-600k player at best on the open market.

I think he'll probably end up staying now. He isn't going to get a big offer from, well, anywhere. A club would need to see very specific value in him - that role would have to be vacated by an outgoing player.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintkid
Club Player

Well said
Face facts
Well said....and as a HFF he misses his fair share of goals when they should be easily gettable for a player with his supposed 'elite' kicking and finishing ability. For those that defend him, watch the replays, there are plenty of examples to refresh your selective memories.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good thing we got rid of McEvoy, Bruce, Hickey and Co

And got back into the draft

That did us wonders

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:29am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:36pm
saintkid wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:22pm I simply cannot believe some posters in this thread about how much they pump Billings' worth and ego. Please watch tonight's game objectively and WITHOUT rose coloured glasses on. He was very poor tonight. No leadership, no toughness, no X factor at all. He regularly goes missing when it matters.
Oh SK, you've been building to this, wishing for this for 5 years now. You must be feeling pretty chuffed. If JB still has a Top 5 B&F finish is he still the one to be jettisoned? Is he still the player holding us back?

Leadership would be determined by his team mates I'm guessing and they believe he has it.

Toughness, well that's subjective but I do not recall him shirking an issue or squibbing a contest. Perhaps enlighten me on toughness.

Oh & what the fvck has X factor got to do with anything? What is it? & who else has it?

Tonight was a pitiful effort against a bottom side but a club with pride. I think the answer is there not in our better players who didn’t have their best game.
Ghost Like, firstly your post about Lonie and drafting more like him, is quite surprising, an irrelevant comparison and wreaks of desperate defending. Lonie is about as poor a player as you can get. As I posted earlier in the match thread, without attacking the guy (unlike others), he is a VFL player at best.

Your defending of Billings borders on the ridiculous. Any chance you get, you talk about him as if he is A grade. Well, for your information, he is not. That is MY point. Are you related to him perhaps?

Billings is a one-dimensional footballer that's what I mean by X factor and yes, he has NO on-field leadership and he struggles to win a contested ball often. That's where it matters, on match day, not at training or at club meets. He goes missing regularly when he is needed. As for the best and fairest, if he finally, this year, finishes in the top 5 in a woeful year, well 'whoopy do'.

Thank you again for your attack. As someone who comes from a family of high achievers, I call a 'spade a spade' when needed. It's nothing to do with 'building /wishing for 5 years, or whatever you have stated here or in the past. Again, seriously? You seem to write in a different tone when it comes to Billings and you keep harping on it. Billings actually has pulled out of contests before. I was at a Melbourne game a few years ago and he blatantly 'squibbed' a contest. Several people saw it. Search the forum and you will find this. It was clearly reported by posters here, among other instances.

You can have your opinion, no problem. I don't agree with you and respect my thoughts. As I said, I have assessed his career performances objectively and openly without bias. Tonight was another of many examples of his mediocrity, going missing when it matters.

By the way, in your last sentence, drawing on your own conclusion, "I think the answer is there not in our better players who didn’t have their best game", it is they're not there. :)
WOW SK, sorry if I hit the nerve of a member of a family of high achievers. My only attack was that you are a constant in willing a Billings failure.

Let's actually quote my reference to Lonie, not your inference. Also you stated I speak of him as if he's A grade, I never have. I've simply spoken that hes
he's a more valuable player than most we have on our list.

You also speak of him squibbing a contest a few years ago, to coin a phrase "whoopy do" (really), I've seen numerous players squib contests. Buddy Franklin was the poster boy for that, a classic was when he played for Hawthorn against St Kilda at Etihad. Any recent examples? Or are you putting the reputation of your high achieving family on something from a few years ago?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:29am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:20am Teflon, I'm not getting into the quoting after quoting. I've already told you how we right our list, it does not start with getting rid of our better players but our worst. We need to wear we have burnt trades and butchered selections.

So less value to us now than to another side who can use him??? It’s pretty clear how that works..
Billings is I’m sure worth more to another club at a different stage than he is to Saints where we are at??
Cash in
Get ba k in the draft
Tell our recruisers don’t be cute - do t be smart don’t overthink it get the best **** mid
Ironic that some online phantom draft watchers pick better than AFL recruiters.....maybe in future this career becomes limited (sorry....dreaming ahead..)
This is getting boring Teflon, I've already told you that in our ad nausea to & fros in relation to this topic. The fact you need to give our recruiters that advice speaks directly to our problem yet you wish to get rid of one of our better players to allow them a mid first round / 2nd round selection. You are a brave man Teflon, if not...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:48am Good thing we got rid of McEvoy, Bruce, Hickey and Co

And got back into the draft

That did us wonders
Thanks god
Let’s just stay still and do nothing then cause that works?
Do us a favour and drop over to Harvs place and let him know what you think will you?
Thanks bud

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:12am

Cash in
Get ba k in the draft
This is getting boring Teflon, I've already told you that in our ad nausea to & fros in relation to this topic. The fact you need to give our recruiters that advice speaks directly to our problem yet you wish to get rid of one of our better players to allow them a mid first round / 2nd round selection. You are a brave man Teflon, if not...
Ofcourse it’s getting boring ....you’ve stopped making sense and now started flat out making stuff up ...show me my post where I said 2nd rounder???????
Anyhow , sign of desperation
Another quality nothing game from JB tonight ...,clearly your idea of an A grade player and mine differ ...
And still you have failed to tell us all once - how will you get us picks back in this draft early so we can rejuvenate this list .....or you telling us all if we just hang on to Jack we’ll be right ???
Keep hiding behind “but....but....we have bad recruiting..” facts are they are who we have so we have to put our trust there ....but staying still and putting our head in the sand like you are arguing is utter garbage.

“Yeah….nah””
Vazelos
Club Player

I said last week he has to be traded out whilst he has currency.
Dal Santo said the same this week.
Match winner- no
Consistent 4 quarter player- no
Influential player in key moments- no
Big Match player- no
Leader- no
Will play 200 games best to go now he isn’t what we need.

SaintDippa
Club Player

We should be doing everything we can to keep and hopefully our next coach and his assistants will have the skills to develop talent and systems/structures/ball movement strategies/team rules to enable a game style that win footy matches.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:26am

Cash in
Get ba k in the draft
Ofcourse it’s getting boring ....you’ve stopped making sense and now started flat out making stuff up ...show me my post where I said 2nd rounder???????
Another quality nothing game from JB tonight ...,clearly your idea of an A grade player and mine differ ...
And still you have failed to tell us all once - how will you get us picks back in this draft early so we can rejuvenate this list .....or you telling us all if we just hang on to Jack we’ll be right ???
Keep hiding behind “but....but....we have bad recruiting..” facts are they are who we have so we have to put our trust there ....but staying still and putting our head in the sand like you are arguing is utter garbage.
Now you are making stuff up, like saintkid, you are stating I believe Billings is A grade, where have I said that?

Also I never said you said we'd get a 2nd rounder, show me that. I have said we'd get a mid first round to a 2nd round on the RFA deal for Billings. Besides salary, what else may generate a first round pick? I believe that's part of the formula.

I do not propose to get us into this draft, I do not wish to compound the errors of previous trading / drafting by being desperate to get a 2nd round pick. I simply wish for us to not jeopardise future drafts.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:36am
Teflon wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:26am

Cash in
Get ba k in the draft
Now you are making stuff up, like saintkid, you are stating I believe Billings is A grade, where have I said that?

Also I never said you said we'd get a 2nd rounder, show me that. I have said we'd get a mid first round to a 2nd round on the RFA deal for Billings. Besides salary, what else may generate a first round pick? I believe that's part of the formula.

I do not propose to get us into this draft, I do not wish to compound the errors of previous trading / drafting by being desperate to get a 2nd round pick. I simply wish for us to not jeopardise future drafts.
Ok

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:29am I said last week he has to be traded out whilst he has currency.
Dal Santo said the same this week.
Match winner- no
Consistent 4 quarter player- no
Influential player in key moments- no
Big Match player- no
Leader- no
Will play 200 games best to go now he isn’t what we need.
Bang on
Let’s pray he gets a decent offer

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And then we get a second round pick

Wowee!!!!

While Billings does exactly what other ex StKilda players have done or are doing at better teams. We get a gamble (which we very rarely get right!)

Teflon,

You’re probably one of those clueless footy supporters that thinks Dunstan is a better player than Billings!!!

Btw
I say gday to Harves for you… still trying to work out wtf you mean by that???

Moods
Saintsational Legend

To clarify,

In seven full seasons, he has recorded just one top five finish in the club’s best and fairest and none in the top three.

That’s an under achievement surely. A classic example of why we are a poor team. He’s a walk up start in our team but in a really good team, he would be held accountable and eventually forced out because the money on offer would go to the top 10 genuinely influential players.

He’ll make a decent living out of footy, but 5 years after he’s retired few will remember him

SaintJohno
Club Player

Just curious given all this debate, and given the decision will be up to Billings himself in the end as he will have RFA status..... what is the top contract you guys would offer him to stay?

I'm thinking 3 years at 650K? Interested to hear your thoughts though.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 2:37am And then we get a second round pick

Wowee!!!!

While Billings does exactly what other ex StKilda players have done or are doing at better teams. We get a gamble (which we very rarely get right!)

Teflon,

You’re probably one of those clueless footy supporters that thinks Dunstan is a better player than Billings!!!

Btw
I say gday to Harves for you… still trying to work out wtf you mean by that???
Wrong
I’m one of those clueless footy supporters who thinks it’s all Howard’s fault off the final goal of the match...some mind numbing, shyte brain thinking in that footy analysis if ever I’ve seen it ....
Billings is really very easy
1. He gets over the odds offer from desperate side seeing greater value - we don’t match ask for 1st rounder back (worked for Saad at Bombers..)
2. He gets a very good offer but pick offered ends up as second round we keep ....danger here is we stuck with him
On inflated coin ...more than we’d like
3. He gets offered what his current output is (good not great player) we keep
Not very hard
IF no 1 can off and we finish bottom 3 we could end up with a top 5 pick and another pick in the 6-10 range for Billings
Happy days
Pray for number 1

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:05pm Just curious given all this debate, and given the decision will be up to Billings himself in the end as he will have RFA status..... what is the top contract you guys would offer him to stay?

I'm thinking 3 years at 650K? Interested to hear your thoughts though.
Yep max. I’d go

“Yeah….nah””