List profile = Reality check

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: List profile = Reality check

He also publicly retired several players including Bakes, without first telling them, before heading off to Freo.

A dog act by a slimy s***.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That was at the ‘end of an era’ speech in 2011. He was basically saying “I don’t think this list can do it”

I think we were the most dangerous team leading into finals in 2011 and I was so disappointed in the way we played in that elimination final. I couldn’t believe how poor we played compared to our late season form

You aren’t good enough!! You’ve failed me. You've failed to give me the glory that I deserve. You’re all cooked as players and as a squad!! How defeatist is that?

He blamed them for the loss, he scarred them, tarred them and lost faith in them all the while knowing that he was leaving the club

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 3:05pm That was at the ‘end of an era’ speech in 2011. He was basically saying “I don’t think this list can do it”

I think we were the most dangerous team leading into finals in 2011 and I was so disappointed in the way we played in that elimination final. I couldn’t believe how poor we played compared to our late season form

You aren’t good enough!! You’ve failed me. You've failed to give me the glory that I deserve. You’re all cooked as players and as a squad!! How defeatist is that?

He blamed them for the loss, he scarred them, tarred them and lost faith in them all the while knowing that he was leaving the club
Yeah, I was at that match, and left believing for some reason, that Lyon threw the game.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Armo not in the 2009 team

And Steven in 2010

Was hard to understand?!

Unbelievable??

Armo got 3 Brownlow votes. And was dropped 2 weeks later?!

Bizarre!!!!

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 3:09pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 3:05pm That was at the ‘end of an era’ speech in 2011. He was basically saying “I don’t think this list can do it”

Yeah, I was at that match, and left believing for some reason, that Lyon threw the game.
We were still a winning chance to win that game at half time. At 3/4 time I said to my wife they must all be asleep in the coach's box judging by the seemingly absence of any response to the resurgent Swans. We were in the car listening to Lyin' announce the "retirements" of Baker, Eddy and (who was the third?). My wife looked at me and said "I wonder if they know they've retired". Then Lyin' made the "end of an era" comment. She immediately said "this prick is up to something". Too true.

By Monday night he was gone. I've often wondered whether the lack of interest from him after half time was due to him getting a text message saying "job's yours".

Saint supporter since '62
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 5:41pm Armo not in the 2009 team

And Steven in 2010

Was hard to understand?!

Unbelievable??

Bizarre!!!!
I saw young Jack and Armo walking around the oval prior to the grandfinal.

Neither looked happy.

Don't blame them one bit.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 7:30pm

We were still a winning chance to win that game at half time. At 3/4 time I said to my wife they must all be asleep in the coach's box judging by the seemingly absence of any response to the resurgent Swans. We were in the car listening to Lyin' announce the "retirements" of Baker, Eddy and (who was the third?). My wife looked at me and said "I wonder if they know they've retired". Then Lyin' made the "end of an era" comment. She immediately said "this prick is up to something". Too true.

By Monday night he was gone. I've often wondered whether the lack of interest from him after half time was due to him getting a text message saying "job's yours".
His huge ego showed itself again re the Carlton job. The difference with him and Clarkson is humility, if Clarko was asked to go through a process for a job he wanted he would do it without question.

Lyon was a good coach but had his failings, namely isolating players he didnt rate and his favourites got preferential treatment. The manner in which he handled the Luke Ball drama and others was very ordinary and cost the club considerably.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He was.The more I think about it ,he really didn't want to win that game.I was f****** ropeable.He got away with it too..

lewdogs
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 5:41pm Armo not in the 2009 team

And Steven in 2010

Was hard to understand?!

Unbelievable??

Bizarre!!!!
That was Lyon's really big achilles heal. Seemed to have an aversion to young players.

If you look at a lot of recent premiers, they have young players out there. We left good young guys on the pine in favour of very average players.

To have Steven and Armo sitting on the sidelines in grand finals is sad. Even Gwilt in 09 never got enough of a run.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 8:38pm

His huge ego showed itself again re the Carlton job. The difference with him and Clarkson is humility, if Clarko was asked to go through a process for a job he wanted he would do it without question.

Lyon was a good coach but had his failings, namely isolating players he didnt rate and his favourites got preferential treatment. The manner in which he handled the Luke Ball drama and others was very ordinary and cost the club considerably.
the board or lYon's boos should have interfered during hte year maybe they did, baybe they did not.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Having followed this club for so many years...
The coming of GT was a breath of fresh air. The team became respected and I was rapt with the amount of wins.
2009 and 2010 were incredible and unforgettable.
But the history of the club sometimes being fearsome and powerful, but more often being underwhelming for long stretches, have me pessimistic that we won't win the Big Dance in my lifetime.

I don't see that happening.
Still committed to paying the monthly and keeping the faith, with the understanding that we will continually lose games that we should win, and cannot bridge the gap to Top 4.
I will enjoy the highs and mourn the lows.
Carlscum n Injectors have 16 cups each, the Filth have 15 IIRC, but for me, it's not about the cups, it's about the passion and the feeling.

We ain't gonna get that second one but you have to be realistic and just realise that some things just aren't meant to be.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Have faith Weller Saint, Melbourne fans have had a much tougher run than us and with some luck there drought is about to be broken.

The club finally seems to have the right people in the key positions. They just need to remain patient eg Melbourne after 2018 and the sucess will come (we all hope).

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Comparing Melbourne and St Kilda

Melbourne flags = 12, last in 1964, Wooden Spoons =12, last in 2009.
St Kilda flags =1, in 1966, Wooden Spoons = 27, last in 2014.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saint 58
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 11 Sep 2021 3:20pm Comparing Melbourne and St Kilda

Melbourne flags = 12, last in 1964, Wooden Spoons =12, last in 2009.
St Kilda flags =1, in 1966, Wooden Spoons = 27, last in 2014.
We are the biggest sporting challenge in the country, maybe the world 😕

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:45pm
saynta wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 2:20pm
Scollop wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 11:54am
saynta wrote: Tue 07 Sep 2021 11:23am
If I remember correctly all the players were asked to rate each of the players on the list . Stanley came in stone motherless last.
And we all know how these ‘ideas’ and ratings of a player are started. It comes from your leaders.

In my opinion, if Nick Riewoldt and some of the leadership group DID NOT have this view of Rhys then he wouldn’t have been traded

He would have been developed

We have to learn as a club that you need to embrace all the players on your team and give them every chance to develop to their potential. The good coaches in a team do not let this sort of thing manifest. It’s no surprise that Lyon was Rhys’s first coach
I have Nick's book, unread to date, but I saw on this forum where someone posted that Stanley was the only player Roo bagged therein.

Agree with your comment on Lyon. Developing players was not has long suit.

Pity as we could use Stanley now,
Embracing the energy and hunger and enthusiasm of the younger players can help you win finals and Grand Finals. Malthouse had 19 and 20 and 21 year olds playing against us in 2010

One of the reasons we couldn’t get over the line in 2009/2010 was because we didn’t utilise the whole playing list and we didn’t have players competing for spots. After Dal and Milne were dropped in 2008, Lyon went soft on all his star players after that. Maybe soft is the wrong word…He favoured his senior players and totally ignored the youth to the detriment of the team as a whole and to the detriment longer term for the development and retention of players for the St Kilda Footy Club.

That’s one of the main reasons I started posting on this forum in 2011 prior to Ross leaving our club. I was sick to death of Ross Lyon being hailed as a great coach. A great coach doesn’t ruin your list and set your club up for years as a bottom dweller. That is his legacy and that is not an opinion…it’s a fact.
Rubbish
Some would say Chris Scott and Cats have recruited for here and now - not future cause they’re in that window
In 09 at 19-0 few would argue St Kilda were in the window with every right to go hard with their core to win a flag
Only hindsight heroes now like re write history and blah blah
I don’t recall you at all demanding Ross Lyon play kids in 09 that’s made up dribble
Was he the coach of the future ? Obviously not
But as a match day coach with a mature team he was and is still regarded by anyone who played with him or coached alongside him as one of the best

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Then your memory is short

When Armitage was dropped in 2009 I was irate

He had just received 3 Brownlow votes, two weeks later - dropped

Jack Steven kicked 3 vs Geelong earlier in the season

His refusal to play kids with talent was ridiculous

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 10:44pm Then your memory is short

Sorry we lost 3 games by total 19 points
I must’ve missed your irateness over Arno
Was he or Jack at that the time the difference to beating Cats (after dominating play in the first half?) don’t see it
Would it have been better for our future development?
Yep
Anyhoo again nothing no one doesn’t already know here - Lyons not a development coach which is his failing - everyone knows that. He is a well credentialed “here and now” coach and that’s why AFL clubs are still talking to him today.
Not so much GT.

“Yeah….nah””
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 13 Sep 2021 12:08am
B.M wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 10:44pm Then your memory is short

Sorry we lost 3 games by total 19 points
I must’ve missed your irateness over Arno
Was he or Jack at that the time the difference to beating Cats (after dominating play in the first half?) don’t see it
Would it have been better for our future development?
Yep
Anyhoo again nothing no one doesn’t already know here - Lyons not a development coach which is his failing - everyone knows that. He is a well credentialed “here and now” coach and that’s why AFL clubs are still talking to him today.
Not so much GT.
GT probably has no interest in being involved in the AFL nowadays, he makes too much money away from football, why would he bother. Too much bulldust associated with that industry.

He still follows the game because he's an ex player, one of our best players for a couple of years in the 80's, a very good CHB.
I never knew why he left the Saints and went on to flop at multiple clubs.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Openly said he wouldn’t coach another club

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Milney’s and Schindler’s misses tolled that death bell for me

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Buchenara has just released his list analyisis of the Saints in the HS. (Apologies I dont know how to copy firewalled articles) Is it any wonder the guy is not in the industry any longer, his opinion is so short sighted and missing the mark its scary.

The guy has NFI, it pisses me off reading these so called experts bagging the club when he cant look beyond decisions made 3 years ago.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Tue 14 Sep 2021 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 14 Sep 2021 3:25pm Bucchanarer has just released his list analyisis of the Saints in the HS. (Apologies I dont know how to copy firewalled articles) Is it any wonder the guy is not in the industry any longer, his opinion is so short sighted and missing the mark its scary.

The guy has NFI, it pisses me off reading these so called experts bagging the club when he cant look beyond decisions made 3 years ago.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... bb82348b3c

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Teflon wrote: Sun 12 Sep 2021 10:10pm

Rubbish
Some would say Chris Scott and Cats have recruited for here and now - not future cause they’re in that window
<snip>
But as a match day coach with a mature team he was and is still regarded by anyone who played with him or coached alongside him as one of the best
they have been saying that about geelong list for a very very long time
at least a decade

Sorry but strongly disagree that RL was a great game day coach

He had no plan B/C on the day

I will concede he was a good week coach

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Oh & PS
not sure the list profile in regards to age is our problem
more the star A grade talent

Seeya
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 14 Sep 2021 3:25pm
That’s nothing. There’s people on here who can’t look beyond decisions made 10 years ago lol.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.