Hickey, Bruce and Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hickey, Bruce and Hind

All played excellent games for their new clubs over this long weekend and good luck to them, we let them go.

I would just say that as appalled and disappointed as I was that we didn't turn up on Saturday, I was not surprised at all.

Essendon's side were young and inexperienced, but the big spectres for me were Stringer, Tippingwuti and Wright. They all have X factor. I won't say much about them except to say that the tagger on Tippa played a coach killer and not his first. To not only lose, but to have a side cobbled together kick 22 goals against us is a reflection that our structures are all out and need to be fixed.

The other issue for me is the ruck - we don't have a ruckman, which means we are also a tall forward down. Wright has only played two really good matches now, and they have both been against us - they were five years and two clubs apart. The guy we played on him kept giving away technical free kicks because he was looking at Wright not the ball. With the new man on the mark rule that kind of mistake is absolutely game changing.

There were so many similarities between this match and the Port game in Shanghai - we weren't ready to play, our ability to hit up our own players is non existent, entries into forward fifty are long bombs or helicopter kicks and we got progressively worse as the game went on. I mean if they can't lower their eyes and kick to a target, why not at least a chaos ball along the ground to our small forwards advantage so they at least have some chance.

I knew if we didn't turn up there would be added pressure on the team due to the excellent games of Bruce and Hickey for their new clubs and sadly this is exactly what has happened. To add insult to injury Hind played the type of game we know he can too.

Our midfield is shocking because we don't have either of our ruckmen and we have mids who have skill deficiencies - that much was painfully obvious. It is no fluke we haven't beaten Geelong for ten years. The game plan needs to take this issue into consideration and play to those players' strengths because they do have strengths, but kicks to our forwards in the forward line ain't it because they turn it over to the opposition time and time again and it's been going on for years, let's be honest. I would say no more long high bombs into the forward line to nobody in particular is a great place to start. I kept seeing Membrey in markling competitions against three of the opposition. Even if he does somehow miraculously win the contest he has to infringe to do it and risk giving away a free kick to his opponents for his trouble.

This week the club must make a statement, and whether it be on field or off it it needs to happen now or this season will slip away. This week is season defining.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 9:02am, edited 3 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey, Bruce and Hind

Newnes also played well again

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

And Acres.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 8:31am Newnes also played well again
That's four then.

And that is why we probably need to avoid dropping players who we know can play and instead look at the way they are being played.
The next thing is - we need Ryder and Marshall back in that team as soon as is humanly possible.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 8:34amAnd Acres.
That's five. It comes down to player development and making sure we are playing our players to their strengths, not wishing upon a star that they'll magically change their skill sets and individual abilities.

If and when we ever get our ruckmen back I have no doubt we are going to improve significantly but until we do we need to change our whole game plan. We can change ot back when Ryder and Marshall are back.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Meanwhile, players who have come across to us, or our own players even, have stagnated or gone backwards.

Battle, for instance - who was starting to excel at CHB and was heading for a breakout year.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 8:43am Meanwhile, players who have come across to us, or our own players even, have stagnated or gone backwards.

Battle, for instance - who was starting to excel at CHB and was heading for a breakout year.
That's why you don't drop them - you play them into form by playing to their strengths and developing them there. You're right, Battle plays well at CHB or at least on the half back line, and we also need to keep playing Carlisle down back as well and rucking until we get our ruckmen back.

I mean, look at Hickey now - amazing what a bit of confidence can do.

realdeal
Club Player

Acres is below avg in nearly every rating, we dont miss him.
Bruce has had 1 (albeit a monster good game) in about 4 years.
Newnes, give me a break.
Hind, good on him but he would've been pumped by playing his former team and anyone on this forum would've done well the way we played saturday.
Hickey we know can play but inconsistency and the richo curse stunted him.

Basically if we're pining for these guys we may as well get richo back with watters as his assistant too..

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 9:08am Acres is below avg in nearly every rating, we dont miss him.
Bruce has had 1 (albeit a monster good game) in about 4 years.
Newnes, give me a break.
Hind, good on him but he would've been pumped by playing his former team and anyone on this forum would've done well the way we played saturday.
Hickey we know can play but inconsistency and the richo curse stunted him.

Basically if we're pining for these guys we may as well get richo back with watters as his assistant too..
To be fair, Bruce has had had three times as many good games as that against North Melbourne alone in three seasons. How many times have we beaten North in three seasons in that time? Not once.

My point is that we as supporters look for scapegoats and a lot of the players we have now are proven performers at other clubs. As supporters it's okay for us to be critical as we buy memberships and attend games, but never lose sight of the fact that how we perform is not always a true indicator of players' abilities. They are playing the way the St Kilda FC game plan is set up.

Hickey is proof positive of that. I think we have played dumb football the last two weeks and lots of the same mistakes which is there for all to see, particularly our forward entries and the release kick into the forward line is 2018-esque at the moment. That rubbish should have been eliminated from our game by now.
Why we are under pressure is that our system is now under the spotlight because guys who never made it with us are making it elsewhere. Newnes is another example; he has been very good for Carlton, a match winner too, no doubt about that.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 9:43am, edited 1 time in total.

Gershwin
Club Player

I thought Stanley and McEvoy played OK too.

summertime and the living is easy ........
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 9:42am I thought Stanley and McEvoy played OK too.
Later today.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy vs Ryder
Stanley vs Marshall
Hickey vs McKernan
Newnes vs Jones
Acres vs Hill
Hind vs Butler
Parker vs Kent

I think we’ve done ok

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Bruce vs Carlisle

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Bruce says he's been sober for 93 days of his 100 day target.
He feels so good that he may extend the dry spell.
He said that a couple of beers used to turn into a couple more.

So changing clubs was a wake up call.
Pity he couldn't give up the grog with us
Last edited by WellardSaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:24am, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

WOW, it must have been a shocking loss for people to be missing these players.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It was a shocking loss!!!

Worst ever in my lifetime

So ridiculous calls are expected

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The proof is in the pudding.
Last year we made finals and won our first and did okay in the second against the eventual premier, so we are on the right track.
The players we have on our list can play - they are just not playing well. I think it is not just their problem but the club's, in that we may not be playing to our a style which plays to our current players' strengths. Look at how Tom was scapegoated for losses (and not just on fan forums if the rumors are correct.)

Playing like we did when we had a very talented ruck combination is not going to work until we get at least one of them back.
Helicopter kicks into the forward line so that our forwards have no chance is not going to work.
Expecting a wingman with dash to play as an in and under midfielder is not going to work.
Dropping A graders and 'playing the kids' may result in even bigger hidings.

We are playing dumb football and if we play that way in the coming weeks we are going to get 1985-esque results. And they will make Saturday's loss look respectable by comparison if strategic change is not immediate.

Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 10:49am, edited 3 times in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 10:21am WOW, it must have been a shocking loss for people to be missing these players.
A guy who kicks ten goals in one game, a ruckman who dominates against the premier in three of the past four seasons?
Yeah, I do a bit, but that wasn't really the point of my post. The point is more the way we are currently expecting our players to play. I think it is dumb footy rather than talent.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 05 Apr 2021 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Was puzzled why we released pure speed in Hind for nothing.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he requested a move for more opportunities

And didn’t see himself as a small forward?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 10:02am McEvoy vs Ryder
Stanley vs Marshall
Hickey vs McKernan
Newnes vs Jones
Acres vs Hill
Hind vs Butler
Parker vs Kent

I think we’ve done ok
Parker?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 10:42am Was puzzled why we released pure speed in Hind for nothing.
Yes, that was the most perplexing of all. Meanwhile we keep Lonie who takes 3 or 4 steps in a chase before stopping. The rest of the time he looks like a kid in a bouncing castle, throwing himself around without doing any damage.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Think Lonie is one of a small (lol not intended) few who actually understand the game. Kicks low hard darts to leading forwards, excellent snapper, dribbler and shot of goal. Does get to contests... but if only a foot taller.
Also, all the blokes mentioned have improved at their new clubs. Says a lot for the coaches we have. Don't think I have seen Newnes turn it over once. At Saints he would rarely hit a target.
Last edited by SaintDippa on Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:17am, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 11:12am Think Lonie is one of a small (lol not intended) few who actually understand the game. Kicks low hard darts to leading forwards, excellent snapper, dribbler and shot of goal. Does get to contests... but if only a foot taller.
I see your point however he's one sided, one positional, he's not quick so definitely needs to a foot taller to offer some presence.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SaintDippa wrote: Mon 05 Apr 2021 10:42am Was puzzled why we released pure speed in Hind for nothing.
Hind used to make things happen.
And kicked goals with left as well.
Dynamic, speedy, talented

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee