Hickey, Bruce and Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lewdogs
Club Player

Re: Hickey, Bruce and Hind

MC Gusto wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 11:08pm Watching bombers v west coast. Hind is brilliant off half back, exactly the player we need
It's amazing how quickly it has turned for them. Shows that it's a team game about confidence as much as the individuals in your side.
Last year we looked like we could beat anyone, now we are struggling.
It's a confidence issue. We are lacking, Essendon are up and about.

Hind is a gun though. That was a big error by us.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 11:44pm
bangaulegend wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 11:25pm
MC Gusto wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 11:08pm Watching bombers v west coast. Hind is brilliant off half back, exactly the player we need
Essendon have beaten West Coast at home . They have drafted very well & are now reaping the rewards IMO need to do the same
Some of their kids look like being absolute jets. Bringing in a few promising young kids is something we should entertain.
Connolly and Alison.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why was he recruited as a HB from Essendon VFL where his run from defence got him drafted.

Played a game for Sandy against Box Hill at Marcel at HB and got 40 touches

Got selelected in the seniors and played forward pocket

And was pigeon holed there for the next 18 months, even in the VFL?!

Fkn dumb

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 11:59pm Why was he recruited as a HB from Essendon VFL where his run from defence got him drafted.

Played a game for Sandy against Box Hill at Marcel at HB and got 40 touches

Got selelected in the seniors and played forward pocket

And was pigeon holed there for the next 18 months, even in the VFL?!

Fkn dumb
Imagine Hind in our team rather than say Long (when he was in it)

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The saints not playing Hind in his best position in any of his senior games shows just how dumb the club is, that is why some
players have their careers stymied. The people in charge don't know what they are doing which baffles me a bit at AFL level.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

We’ve had a small forward obsession for sometime

Have been complaining about it for at least 2 years

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Looking for a new Milney.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How is Hind..?? His passing is fantastic..my oh my,, two other things hurt about Essendon ,,Cox (poor Max) and Tippy (Lurch the Butler)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Well, that's three from three, with Hickey in the best for the Swans today and an important component in their win.

That along with our inability to execute set shots from inside forward 50 is killing us this season. Absolutely devastating, As a club we need to get better at player development. The evidence thus far this year is that this is simply not happening. Our talented players are going backwards.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Thought Hickey got the better of Ryder today

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Give credit to Amartey. Ryder did not lower his colours to Hickey. It was our 2nd (?) Ruck who lowered their colours to Amartey. If Ryder had not played as well as he did, the game was over at 3 quarter time.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:39pm Give credit to Amartey. Ryder did not lower his colours to Hickey. It was our 2nd (?) Ruck who lowered their colours to Amartey. If Ryder had not played as well as he did, the game was over at 3 quarter time.
Hickey was rated amongst the Swans best.

A real worry that a second gamer was so influential though, I will concede you that.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 8:46pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 7:39pm Give credit to Amartey. Ryder did not lower his colours to Hickey. It was our 2nd (?) Ruck who lowered their colours to Amartey. If Ryder had not played as well as he did, the game was over at 3 quarter time.

A real worry that a second gamer was so influential though, I will concede you that.
Do you think Hickey beat Ryder? Or are we all getting carried away with the Hickey rebirthing?

The Recruit
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 8:46pm

Hickey looked average against Ryder, and always does against elite rucks

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hickey got beat by Ryder and was extremely lucky Marshall wasn’t coming in to finish the job.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Hickey was very good, especially at stoppage

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 9:11pm I reckon Hickey was very good, especially at stoppage
He was certainly better than when he played for us but did not beat Paddy, not even close.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Everything I feared would happen, but didn't believe really could, has actually happened this year.

Key injuries to our very best players, other important players not being available for blocks of games, 100 point hidings, sides we beat easily last season going past us, talented players losing all confidence, and those old problems of missing goals from everywhere, even the goal square, are back with a vengeance.

The way the game ended today was really disappointing. I thought we had to get at least one of those last three shots and we failed to slot any of them.

I don't think it is as simple as just playing the kids. We need to play the best possible team we can on paper without relying on playing injured players. When players are injured, sure, bring them in if form warrants it. Bytel and Byrnes are in the best 22.

But when Hannebery, Jones and Marshall are ready, they need to come back in. More 100 points hidings are going to really turn potential sponsors and members off, new players won't want to come, and it will have a flow on effect.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 05 Jun 2021 11:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:56pm Everything I could possibly dread as a footbal supporter has happened this year.
Key injuries to our very best players, other important players not being available for games, 100 point hidings, sides we beat easily last season going past us, and talented players losing all confidence.
Maybe I expect too much but the way the game ended today was really disappointing. I thought we had to get at least one of those last three shots and we failed to get any of them.
For me this season is very much like the ones circa 1979-1986 - we rely on cameos to get us over the line, and a lot of the players look totally devoid of confidence. In three of the last four games I have seen players drop their heads in the last quarter and it is a real worry.
I can see the Crows really taking us to the cleaners next week wherever we play them.
I really feel your pain but I cannot see the Crows beating us. Put your house on a St Kilda win.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 11:19pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:56pm Everything I could possibly dread as a footbal supporter has happened this year.
Key injuries to our very best players, other important players not being available for games, 100 point hidings, sides we beat easily last season going past us, and talented players losing all confidence.
Maybe I expect too much but the way the game ended today was really disappointing. I thought we had to get at least one of those last three shots and we failed to get any of them.
For me this season is very much like the ones circa 1979-1986 - we rely on cameos to get us over the line, and a lot of the players look totally devoid of confidence. In three of the last four games I have seen players drop their heads in the last quarter and it is a real worry.
I can see the Crows really taking us to the cleaners next week wherever we play them.
I really feel your pain but I cannot see the Crows beating us. Put your house on a St Kilda win.
If Tim, Max and Geary are all out next week, I would say that is highly unlikely.

Yep. I knew it. Very costly.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 9:11pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 11:19pm
If Tim, Max and Geary are all out next week, I would say that is highly unlikely.
plus Seb and Members so guess you maybe right...maybe,

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

freely wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 1:23am Looking for a new Milney.
when does Eddie Betts contract finish at carlton

Seeya
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

From Zero Hanger - Saints have two of worst trade decisions.

1. Nick Hind

The Saints are battling, have no X factor and no rebound out of defence, yet for some reason they tried to turn Hind, who’s now having a stellar season for the Dons in defence, into a small forward.

It worked on the odd occasion but the fact the Saints had the foresight to draft him yet not use him in his proper position says it all. To then trade him to the Dons for an extremely low draft pick just rubs salt into the wounds.

Sharp recruiting from the Bombers, while it’s shaping as a shocking decision from the Saints and it’s not their last on this list.

2. Josh Bruce

Another decision that you’d think the Saints are probably regretting right now. While last year Bruce hardly set the world on fire, this season he is flying, and not just for marks either.

Sitting third on the Coleman leader board in a deadly Dogs forward line, Bruce spent the summer training with best mate (and Saints Co-Captain) Jack Steele, putting a firm focus on his fitness.

The results speak for themselves, and you’d have to think given the Saints woes in front of goal, not to mention the fact that they’ve thrown young key prospect Max King to the media wolves in recent weeks, that they could use Bruce’s experience and form in their current forward set up.

Another of the Saints blunders but understandable, the money required to pay Dan Hannebery to rarely play had to come from somewhere and Bruce was one of the casualties. Kudos to the Dogs for seeing his talent and making use of it.

5. Tom Hickey

Pick a club, any club. He’s played for a few. They could all probably use him now but the ones who really could do with his ruck work at the moment are the Saints and the Suns, both clubs have suffered injuries to key Ruckman that have left them exposed on certain parts of the ground.

For the Saints, it’s up forward, as Paddy Ryder now has to ruck solo until Rohan Marshall is fit again. For the Suns, it’s at the Centre Bounces and around the ground where they are literally playing without a Ruckman.

saintkid
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:59pm From Zero Hanger - Saints have two of worst trade decisions.

1. Nick Hind

The Saints are battling, have no X factor and no rebound out of defence, yet for some reason they tried to turn Hind, who’s now having a stellar season for the Dons in defence, into a small forward.

It worked on the odd occasion but the fact the Saints had the foresight to draft him yet not use him in his proper position says it all. To then trade him to the Dons for an extremely low draft pick just rubs salt into the wounds.

Sharp recruiting from the Bombers, while it’s shaping as a shocking decision from the Saints and it’s not their last on this list.

2. Josh Bruce

Another decision that you’d think the Saints are probably regretting right now. While last year Bruce hardly set the world on fire, this season he is flying, and not just for marks either.

Sitting third on the Coleman leader board in a deadly Dogs forward line, Bruce spent the summer training with best mate (and Saints Co-Captain) Jack Steele, putting a firm focus on his fitness.

The results speak for themselves, and you’d have to think given the Saints woes in front of goal, not to mention the fact that they’ve thrown young key prospect Max King to the media wolves in recent weeks, that they could use Bruce’s experience and form in their current forward set up.

Another of the Saints blunders but understandable, the money required to pay Dan Hannebery to rarely play had to come from somewhere and Bruce was one of the casualties. Kudos to the Dogs for seeing his talent and making use of it.
They're not writing anything that some of us here didn't question or were crying out about at the time. That's why I've grown to dislike our club's so called professional football department and administrators. Incompetent imbeciles to say the least. Apart from Steele, most of our promising talent have gone backwards. The media are talking about Collingwood and Carlton going through a review of operations. Well, we should have been put through the microscope well before then. It's a crying shame having Finnis and Lethlean running this club!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 9:14pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:59pm From Zero Hanger - Saints have two of worst trade decisions.

1. Nick Hind

2. Josh Bruce

They're not writing anything that some of us here didn't question or were crying out about at the time. That's why I've grown to dislike our club's so called professional football department and administrators. Incompetent imbeciles to say the least. Apart from Steele, most of our promising talent have gone backwards. The media are talking about Collingwood and Carlton going through a review of operations. Well, we should have been put through the microscope well before then. It's a crying shame having Finnis and Lethlean running this club!
🙄