Hickey, Bruce and Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey, Bruce and Hind

saintkid wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 9:14pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:59pm From Zero Hanger - Saints have two of worst trade decisions.

1. Nick Hind

The Saints are battling, have no X factor and no rebound out of defence, yet for some reason they tried to turn Hind, who’s now having a stellar season for the Dons in defence, into a small forward.

It worked on the odd occasion but the fact the Saints had the foresight to draft him yet not use him in his proper position says it all. To then trade him to the Dons for an extremely low draft pick just rubs salt into the wounds.

Sharp recruiting from the Bombers, while it’s shaping as a shocking decision from the Saints and it’s not their last on this list.

2. Josh Bruce

Another decision that you’d think the Saints are probably regretting right now. While last year Bruce hardly set the world on fire, this season he is flying, and not just for marks either.

Sitting third on the Coleman leader board in a deadly Dogs forward line, Bruce spent the summer training with best mate (and Saints Co-Captain) Jack Steele, putting a firm focus on his fitness.

The results speak for themselves, and you’d have to think given the Saints woes in front of goal, not to mention the fact that they’ve thrown young key prospect Max King to the media wolves in recent weeks, that they could use Bruce’s experience and form in their current forward set up.

Another of the Saints blunders but understandable, the money required to pay Dan Hannebery to rarely play had to come from somewhere and Bruce was one of the casualties. Kudos to the Dogs for seeing his talent and making use of it.
They're not writing anything that some of us here didn't question or were crying out about at the time. That's why I've grown to dislike our club's so called professional football department and administrators. Incompetent imbeciles to say the least. Apart from Steele, most of our promising talent have gone backwards. The media are talking about Collingwood and Carlton going through a review of operations. Well, we should have been put through the microscope well before then. It's a crying shame having Finnis and Lethlean running this club!
I totally agree saintkid, especially the part about a full review of the club's operations. That's a given.

What I'm not in agreement about is the three players. Hind was a mistake, totally agree with everything written about letting Hind go. I don't care for what's written about the other two - there's no surprise this thread was not created last year.

Perhaps we should add the names Acres, Cripps, Hutchins, Parker, Newnes to the list if we want to live in the past.

Thank god whoever at The Hanger is copying our threads left Carlisle & Lovett out of their appraisal.

suss
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 10:07pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 8:59pm From Zero Hanger - Saints have two of worst trade decisions.

1. Nick Hind

The Saints are battling, have no X factor and no rebound out of defence, yet for some reason they tried to turn Hind, who’s now having a stellar season for the Dons in defence, into a small forward.

It worked on the odd occasion but the fact the Saints had the foresight to draft him yet not use him in his proper position says it all. To then trade him to the Dons for an extremely low draft pick just rubs salt into the wounds.

Sharp recruiting from the Bombers, while it’s shaping as a shocking decision from the Saints and it’s not their last on this list.

2. Josh Bruce

Another decision that you’d think the Saints are probably regretting right now. While last year Bruce hardly set the world on fire, this season he is flying, and not just for marks either.

Sitting third on the Coleman leader board in a deadly Dogs forward line, Bruce spent the summer training with best mate (and Saints Co-Captain) Jack Steele, putting a firm focus on his fitness.

The results speak for themselves, and you’d have to think given the Saints woes in front of goal, not to mention the fact that they’ve thrown young key prospect Max King to the media wolves in recent weeks, that they could use Bruce’s experience and form in their current forward set up.

Another of the Saints blunders but understandable, the money required to pay Dan Hannebery to rarely play had to come from somewhere and Bruce was one of the casualties. Kudos to the Dogs for seeing his talent and making use of it.
They're not writing anything that some of us here didn't question or were crying out about at the time. That's why I've grown to dislike our club's so called professional football department and administrators. Incompetent imbeciles to say the least. Apart from Steele, most of our promising talent have gone backwards. The media are talking about Collingwood and Carlton going through a review of operations. Well, we should have been put through the microscope well before then. It's a crying shame having Finnis and Lethlean running this club!
I totally agree saintkid, especially the part about a full review of the club's operations. That's a given.

What I'm not in agreement about is the three players. Hind was a mistake, totally agree with everything written about letting Hind go. I don't care for what's written about the other two - there's no surprise this thread was not created last year.

Perhaps we should add the names Acres, Cripps, Hutchins, Parker, Newnes to the list if we want to live in the past.

Thank god whoever at The Hanger is copying our threads left Carlisle & Lovett out of their appraisal.
Who would you take now - Carlisle and Gresham or Parish? I don’t blame the club but they Essendon got the better deal in the end. Parish was sublime on the weekend.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 10:43pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 07 Jun 2021 10:07pm

1. Nick Hind

2. Josh Bruce

Who would you take now - Carlisle and Gresham or Parish? I don’t blame the club but they Essendon got the better deal in the end. Parish was sublime on the weekend.

David King please for the last time the pick we traded for Carlisle was after Essendons first which they used in Parish. We were never getting him.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Curly is right. We finished 14th in 2015

We traded for Carlisle and handed them pick 5 (we got something back and that secured Gresh)

They already had pick 4 because they finished below us.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl/2015-afl-ladder/

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=esse ... nt=gws-wiz

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 06 Jun 2021 9:11pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 11:19pm
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 05 Jun 2021 10:56pm Everything I could possibly dread as a footbal supporter has happened this year.
Key injuries to our very best players, other important players not being available for games, 100 point hidings, sides we beat easily last season going past us, and talented players losing all confidence.
Maybe I expect too much but the way the game ended today was really disappointing. I thought we had to get at least one of those last three shots and we failed to get any of them.
For me this season is very much like the ones circa 1979-1986 - we rely on cameos to get us over the line, and a lot of the players look totally devoid of confidence. In three of the last four games I have seen players drop their heads in the last quarter and it is a real worry.
I can see the Crows really taking us to the cleaners next week wherever we play them.
I really feel your pain but I cannot see the Crows beating us. Put your house on a St Kilda win.
If Tim, Max and Geary are all out next week, I would say that is highly unlikely.

Yep. I knew it. Very costly.

And now we've lost to last year's wooden spooner. A new low.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Not really a new low but let's be melodramatic and pretend it is. What will fix it? A healthy list plus three or an over the top list cull?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:24pm Not really a new low but let's be melodramatic and pretend it is. What will fix it? A healthy list plus three or an over the top list cull?
I thought it was a new low when there was no response from any of our players after Hunter got a broken jaw, yeah.

We should have really responded after that and gone for the kill, but oh no, not us.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:18am
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 12 Jun 2021 11:24pm Not really a new low but let's be melodramatic and pretend it is. What will fix it? A healthy list plus three or an over the top list cull?
I thought it was a new low when there was no response from any of our players after Hunter got a broken jaw, yeah.
I totally agree on that samuraisaint, I said as much to my wife. Sadly similar to 97 when the Crows targeted Harvey in the GF and we rolled over without a whimper, without a response.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 08 Jun 2021 10:17am Curly is right. We finished 14th in 2015

We traded for Carlisle and handed them pick 5 (we got something back and that secured Gresh)

They already had pick 4 because they finished below us.

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl/2015-afl-ladder/

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=esse ... nt=gws-wiz
To specify, that pick we had ended up being Aaron Francis after all the adjustments were factored in.

So it was Carlisle and Gresham v Francis. It's actually a deal we didn't do too badly out of, albeit Francis is improving after a difficult start to this AFL career.

Carlisle, at one stage, was probably the best player at the club and until his back injury, he was excellent. He battled away in 2019 - despite numerous errors - but his 2018 and 2020 years have showed that's all over for him. I actually quite liked his rucking game v WCE but his body doesn't stand up to the punishment any longer.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Barometer
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:23am
I totally agree on that samuraisaint, I said as much to my wife. Sadly similar to 97 when the Crows targeted Harvey in the GF and we rolled over without a whimper, without a response.
We lack leadership. Who calms the guy kicking for goal. Who is our backline general. Ah 97, i recall being baffled at Keogh jogging to the bench to start the game. he showed some bite towards the end of the year and thought he should have ruffled up the crows at the start.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:33am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 12:23am
We lack leadership. Who calms the guy kicking for goal. Who is our backline general. Ah 97, i recall being baffled at Keogh jogging to the bench to start the game. he showed some bite towards the end of the year and thought he should have ruffled up the crows at the start.
It was the pummelling Harvey copped that annoyed me most. Yes Keogh should have been unleashed but the supposed hardmen in Hall & Sierakowski should have taken out McLeod and/or Jarman. That sliding door moment alone made the missing of Spider and Lazar all the more stark.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

What is unbelievable is that in the past few games some unbelievably embarrasing stats have come up:

We have only won 3 out of our previous 13 matches against North Melbourne.
We have lost 11 of our previous 13 matches against the Swans.
We have won only 2 of our previous matches against the Crows.

Now apart from the Swans who have won one Grand Final in that time, none of these sides have been particularly successful. Better than us obviouly but hardly world beaters except for the Swans in 2012.

How do we have people still at the club, players, coaches, administrators, who have presided over such a farcical situation for a decade - this is not on the senior coach btw, but on the people who have become wealthy during their time at the club while we have been so mediocre?

Where is their accountability?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Lets throw a tantrum and cull the list like North.
That's bound to have an effect.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 13 Jun 2021 1:28am
Lets throw a tantrum and cull the list like North.
That's bound to have an effect.
Can people actually read on this forum? I propose making sure our list is fit and healthy whilst we add 2 or 3 to it. I'm quite sure I'm against an over the top list cull.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Just watching Hind play right now, how we let him go…

🤦‍♂️

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 6:06pm Just watching Hind play right now, how we let him go…

🤦‍♂️
At least we kept Lonie.

nw7
Club Player

Stupid arrogance letting Hind go. He obviously would have struggled to make our so called DYNASTY team.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Played him out of position for 2 years

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

See Battle.
Happening right now
Coffield will be next...we’ll try turn him into a forward ..

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Compare Hind’s year to Hill’s, makes the decision even more depressing!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 7:59pm See Battle.
Happening right now
Coffield will be next...we’ll try turn him into a forward ..
I'm not sure about the Battle analogy. If no one knows his best position or a new position to try him in, perhaps he's not the player we hope.

Coffield needs another two years at half back with the 2nd year being used to move him through the midfield. Hopefully Hill will get his act together back on the wing.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Battle is really limited

Smallish key defender maybe?

Would have been ok ten years ago as a CHF… but teams are instructed to not kick there anymore (shallow entries are frowned upon)
He seems too slow to play deep

He is not agile enough through the midfield, horrible below his knees.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps we can get some intel from all three of them, just by watching them in a new environment.
Obviously, we tried Long forward and then as a back and it hasn't paid off ..yet, anyway.

But HInd just goes in like a dream at Essendon. Fox called him 'recruit of the year' today. Hype maybe, but sometning has been going very right for him.

But maybe he is having a Butler-in- 2020 fairytale of a year, and next year...?? As other teams pay more attention to him? I'm grasping at straws.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair showed again tonight why letting Hind go was the correct call.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Be nice to have both

No Hill

And the 2 draft picks we have up for Hill