Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021 7:55am
saynta wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021 10:44am Some of the unlucky ones

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 1737a8b2d8
Can you post it mate?
Check your PM'S.

There are some hidden gems there. Personally I like young Josh Green.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021 10:34am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021 7:55am
saynta wrote: Sun 28 Nov 2021 10:44am Some of the unlucky ones

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 1737a8b2d8
Can you post it mate?
Check your PM'S.

There are some hidden gems there. Personally I like young Josh Green.
Yep, his brother goes OK so I imagine if he's half as good then a rookie spot is about right. Good size.

saint6709
Club Player

I’m more keen to see if we can unearth a mature kpd from somewhere to be invited to train

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote: Mon 29 Nov 2021 4:48pm I’m more keen to see if we can unearth a mature kpd from somewhere to be invited to train
Im still surprised we let Charlie Dean slide through to the rookie draft. I dont want to jinx us but what if we lose both Howard & King to injury, the key talls capable of stepping up look very thin. Dean could play at both ends it was a no brainer for me, but perhaps the club has another player in mind.

Stian
Club Player

Has anybody heard any whispers about players who might be invited to the club to train over summer - with a view to the SSP?

Saints58
Club Player

Here are some mature age KPD that got delisted
Michael Hartley 28 years old 199cm 100kg 49 games I know Collingwood has him to play for there VFL side for 2022 but I am unsure if he is tied to them I don't think so.
Jarrod Leinart got Delisted from Port 27 year old 195cm 95 kg 23 games
and the last one plays in the WAFL was on Geelong's list a few years ago Blake Schlensog 21 198cm 99kg one of the best KPD in the WAFL last season.
I am sure there are others out there.
I did here we are done for our list not adding any more except at midseason draft which means we have 1 sport left not sure if that's right.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Tue 30 Nov 2021 4:16pm Here are some mature age KPD that got delisted
Michael Hartley 28 years old 199cm 100kg 49 games I know Collingwood has him to play for there VFL side for 2022 but I am unsure if he is tied to them I don't think so.
and the last one plays in the WAFL was on Geelong's list a few years ago Blake Schlensog 21 198cm 99kg one of the best KPD in the WAFL last season.
I did here we are done for our list not adding any more except at midseason draft which means we have 1 sport left not sure if that's right.
Two spots left I believe.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Some interesting twists and pick offers from the trade night/s. It seemed the Saints were really keen on trading up to snare Gibcus but it didnt eventuate.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/689980/insi ... t-come-off

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

NWM has some work to do on his media presentation, but the rest of the boys speak really well.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/1035588 ... 8331181001

saint6709
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Tue 30 Nov 2021 4:16pm Here are some mature age KPD that got delisted
this guy can play back apparently

Connor Ballenden
Last played for Brisbane Lions in 2020
Games: 3 Born: March 29, 1999 Origin: Brisbane Academy
Playing Height: 200cm Playing Weight: 101kg Position: Forward
Last Drafted: Round 3, Pick #43 2017 National Draft by Brisbane Lions

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Ballenden sounded like a good prospect in his draft year?

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/player ... ballenden/

Plus he won the Lions reserves B&F this year, averaging over 18 possessions and 8 marks per game. Plus he has a history of playing both ends, he is definitely worth a look.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope the club is looking at an experienced Key Back to recruit in the SSP window, especially as Gags says it's unlikely Oscar Adams will play AFL in 2022.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Clubs are able to invite six players per open list spot to train with them under pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules.

They will be able to sign players through the SSP from Monday, January 10 to Wednesday, March 9 next year on the eve of the home and away season starting.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 02 Dec 2021 11:20am NWM has some work to do on his media presentation, but the rest of the boys speak really well.

He did OK in my opinion. Besides if he can be as good as two of our worst public speakers, Nicky & Harves, I'll happily listen to every presser.

Michito is confident & Marcus quietly confident in both speaking and ability.

Freebird
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 03 Dec 2021 1:07pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 02 Dec 2021 11:20am NWM has some work to do on his media presentation, but the rest of the boys speak really well.

He did OK in my opinion. Besides if he can be as good as two of our worst public speakers, Nicky & Harves, I'll happily listen to every presser.

I thought he spoke ok also....why would IS find the need to say something like that. The young man is at the beginning of his career and will only improve his public media persona.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Fri 03 Dec 2021 3:18pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 03 Dec 2021 1:07pm

I thought he spoke ok also....why would IS find the need to say something like that. The young man is at the beginning of his career and will only improve his public media persona.
It just an observation. Like GL said if he can play footy it won't matter how he presents in the media.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

An early look at draft prospects for 2022/

From the heraldsun.com.au

"AFL Draft 2022: An early look at the top prospects

This year’s AFL Draft was full of midfielders - but next year’s crop is stacked with tall talent and famous names. Here’s an early look at the top prospects for 2022.

The 2022 AFL Draft is set to be ruled by the big boys.

After midfielders dominated the top-end of the this year’s draft - Jason Horne-Francis, Finn Callaghan, Nick Daicos and Josh Ward in particular - the next crop is stacked with tall talent.

South Australian key-forward Harry Lemmey is the leader of the pack, with his West Adelaide teammate Harry Barnett and Oakleigh Chargers forward Will Elliot, the son of Australian cricketer Matthew, close behind.

The Bloods also have another first-round contender, with prolific midfielder Kobe Ryan putting his name up in lights during a standout bottom-age season in the SANFL.

But, at this stage, he sits behind early No. 1 pick contenders, Brisbane father-son gun Will Ashcroft and Oakleigh Chargers star Elijah Tsatas in the midfield pecking order.

Ashcroft and Elliot aren’t the only famous name in next year’s draft, either, with Alwyn Davey Jnr, Oliver Hollands, the brother of highly-rated Gold Coast midfielder Elijah, and Crows father son-prospect Max Michalanney, whose dad Jim played 211 SANFL games, also on the radar.

Here are some of the names to watch next year (in alphabetical order).

Will Ashcroft

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Midfielder, 183cm, 74kg

Brisbane has first dibs on arguably the most highly-touted prospect in the 2022 draft, who is the son of three-time premiership Lion Marcus Ashcroft. The father-son gun tore the Under-17 Championships clash against Vic Country to shreds in a best-on-ground display. He amassed 33 disposals, 20 contested possessions, 12 clearances, nine inside 50s, 180 Champion Data ranking points and two incredible goals on the run from outside 50. Ashcroft always seems to have time with ball in hand, with his skills by foot, contested ball-winning and goalkicking threat making him an extremely accomplished midfield prospect. Once eligible as an academy prospect with the Suns - living on the Gold Coast while his father was their football manager - a move to Melbourne in 2018 ended those ties to the club.
Harry Barnett

West Adelaide/SA

Ruck/key forward, 202cm, 93kg

Barnett is isn’t far behind West Adelaide teammate Lemmey when it comes to the big men of next year’s draft. The strong-marking 202cm talent gives his midfielders first use in the ruck and has a strong presence as a forward. But it’s Barnett’s follow-up work at stoppages and hands at ground level that have really caught the eye.
Judd Busslinger

East Perth/WA

Key defender, 195, 83kg

Busslinger looms as a backman to watch next year. He shone in two under-17 carnival games against South Australia, averaging 23.5 disposals, 13 marks and six intercept possessions. The East Perth product is strong aerially and at ground level. He also played one under-19 game versus SA.
Jackson Broadbent

Peel Thunder/WA

Ruck, 202cm

Broadbent showed enough promise as a bottom-ager this year to earn three senior games for the Thunder, debuting at the age of 16 and kicking Peel’s opening goal in his first match. He also played once for Western Australia’s under-19s. In eight colts games this past season, Broadbent averaged 12.4 disposals, 22 hit-outs and 2.3 marks.
Jhye Clark

Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

Midfielder, 180cm, 76kg

Clark has an array of traits as a midfielder, possessing speed, precise skills by foot, tackling pressure and the ability to win contested possessions. The Geelong Falcons product took his chance at NAB League level this year, featuring in six matches and averaging 17.5 disposals, 4.7 tackles, 4.0 marks and 81 rankings points per game. His performances improved as the season went on, culminating in 25 disposals, 10 marks, five tackles and a goal in his final game against Bendigo. Clark also impressed for Vic Country with his inside ball-winning and accurate kicking, tallying 17 touches, 10 contested possessions and five clearances.
South Australia midfielder Adam D'Aloia
South Australia midfielder Adam D'Aloia
Adam D’Aloia

Eagles/SA

Midfielder, 184cm, 84kg

This year’s top pick Jason Horne-Francis aside, D’Aloia was just about the best performed junior midfielder in South Australia this year. The teenager, who is strong, clean around the ball and boasts exceptional leadership qualities, was best-on-ground in the Eagles’ under-18 grand final win and exploded onto the national scene, finishing with ranking-point tallies of 135 and 177 in his first two under-19 carnival games for SA.
Alwyn Davey Jr

Oakleigh Chargers/Northern Territory

Forward/midfielder, 180cm

Essendon father-son prospect

Nine years after Alwyn Davey last pulled on the red and black, another is set to join the Bombers as a father-son prospect. A Darwin native boarding at Xavier College in Melbourne, Davey Jr shone in a Northern Territory All-Stats match as a 16-year-old for Team Rioli with his clean hands at ground level, forward craft, defensive pressure, and overhead marking. The lively forward/midfielder was also selected in Vic Metro’s Under-17 Championships squad and was part of Xavier College’s premiership winning APS side. Essendon fans will be following Davey Jr and his twin brother Jayden - a left-footed goalsneak – with interest next year.
Will Elliott

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country

Key forward-ruck, 200cm

Elliott is another Victorian prospect with famous bloodlines as the son of Australian cricketer, Matthew, who played 21 Tests for the country. A mobile 200cm key-forward/ruck, Elliott has good follow up work at ground level and covers the ground well for a big man. While Elliott’s production is low, as expected for a young tall, he booted two goals on NAB League debut for the Oakleigh Chargers, highlighting his upside.
Jed Hagan in action for WA in the under-19 national carnival this year. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Jed Hagan in action for WA in the under-19 national carnival this year. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images
Jed Hagan

East Fremantle/WA

Midfielder/defender, 174cm

Hagan has been a name to watch for a few years. In 2018 and 2019, he claimed the JL Williams Medal as best player at the national under-15 championships. Clean and a good decision-maker, the East Fremantle product averaged 22.4 disposals, 5.3 marks, 4.9 intercept possessions and 4.0 score involvements at colts level this year. Can play across half-back or through the midfield.
Lewis Hayes

Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro

Key defender, 195cm

A key defender with great reach, allowing him to intercept attacking forays and spoil his opponents. Hayes has the scope to play on forwards of all sizes - with his mobility and ball-winning at ground level - and is a good decision maker with the footy. The Eastern Ranges had 10 disposals at 90 per cent efficiency (seven contested) and six intercept possessions in a promising showing against Vic Country earlier this year. Hayes broke in for three NAB League games this season and looked comfortable at the level.
Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts, WA)

Swan Districts/WA

Midfielder, 186cm, 82kg

Considered one of the best midfielders in next year’s West Australian crop, Hewett is powerful and can break lines. His running ability and tackling are among his other strengths. He averaged 22 touches and three clearances at colts level this year, starring in Swan Districts’ colts grand final win. Hewett was also WA’s best in its second under-17 carnival victory over WA with a 30-possession, two-goal showing.
Oliver Hollands

Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Midfielder 182cm, 70kg

The brother of highly touted midfielder Elijah Hollands – the seventh pick of the 2019 AFL Draft - shapes as another potential top-10 prospect. Hollands featured in three NAB League games for the Murray Bushrangers as a bottom-ager and fitted in seamlessly, averaging 17 disposals and five marks. There are shades of his brother in his game, sharing his burst of speed, clean hands, and ferocious attack on the ball and the man. These traits were on display for the Bushrangers and Vic Country this year, logging 23 disposals, 10 contested possessions and 111 ranking points against Vic Metro at the Under-17 Championships.
Adelaide NGA prospect Isaac Keeler in action for Henley High. Picture: Tom Huntley
Adelaide NGA prospect Isaac Keeler in action for Henley High. Picture: Tom Huntley
Isaac Keeler

North Adelaide/SA

Key forward/ruck, 197cm, 83kg

Adelaide NGA prospect

Described by SA Academy coach Tony Bamford as an “unbelievably naturally talented player”, the athletic Keeler is part of Adelaide’s Next Generation Academy. He’s been on the radar for some time now, and the 17-year-old, again, proved unstoppable as a forward at times at under-18 level, booting 25 goals in 15 matches last season. But his potential as a mobile ruckman, with a terrific vertical leap, is obvious, with Bamford also noting that Keeler players with more intent and effort in the ruck.
Harry Lemmey

West Adelaide/SA

Key-forward, 199cm, 93kg

The top key-position prospect of the 2022 pool, Lemmey booted 1.1 from 10 disposals and seven marks in an impressive SANFL League debut as a 17-year-old this year. Lemmey is smart, strong in the air and covers the ground well and has the ability to find space and separation from his opponent. He booted 17 goals in seven under-18 matches and impressed for SA as a bottom-ager at the national carnival, taking 13 marks and kicking four majors in three matches. Bamford expects the exciting teenager to play more senior footy for West Adelaide next season.
Max and Jim Michalanney. Picture: Picture Matt Turner.
Max and Jim Michalanney. Picture: Picture Matt Turner.
Max Michalanney

Norwood/SA

Defender, 190cm, 70kg

Adelaide father-son prospect

Michalanney qualifies as Crows father-son prospect after his dad, Norwood great Jim, played 211 SANFL games for the Redlegs between 1974 and 1986. And the versatile, mid-sized defender, with a nice turn of speed, is one who will receive plenty of attention in 2022.

Michalanney, who reads the play well and is very composed, can play taller than his height suggests and was the sixth-ranked player for intercept possessions at SANFL under-18 level last season.
Paul Pascu

Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

Midfielder/defender, 183cm

Pascu is an attacking midfielder/defender with blistering speed and a raking left boot. The Cannons prospect was used as an inside midfielder and off half-back as a rebounder this season, illustrating his versatility. Pascu impressed as a defender in the Under-17 Championships clash, hitting the target with 11 of his 13 disposals and finishing with nine contested possessions, six tackles and 101 ranking points. He spent more time through the middle for Calder, where his burst from congestion and contested ball-winning caught the eye. Pascu’s strongest performance came against Sandringham, tallying 20 disposals, 11 contested possessions, eight tackles and 111 ranking points.
Kobe Ryan

West Adelaide/SA

Midfielder, 182cm, 68kg

The skilful ball magnet is another top-15 contender from West Adelaide after a dominant bottom-age season saw him rank third for Champion Data ranking points (129) and fifth for disposals (27.9) of all players to play at least five games in the SANFL under-18s. Ryan is a genuine all-round midfielder, showing clean hands and toughness at the contest, as well as a terrific ability to win the ball in space and make good decisions going forward.
Prolific midfielder Kobe Ryan in action for Sacred Heart College. Picture: Bishop Image/Russell Millard
Prolific midfielder Kobe Ryan in action for Sacred Heart College. Picture: Bishop Image/Russell Millard
Tom Scully

West Adelaide/SA

Ruck/key forward, 201cm, 83kg

Scully is yet another tall prospect from West Adelaide to watch. He worked alongside Barnett in the ruck, but the strong-marking teenager proved a strong target in attack this year, booting 23.10 in 10 matches. Highlighting his potential, Scully, in just the second under-18 match of his career, tallied 18 disposals, 12 contested possessions, four hitouts-to-advantage, two contested marks, two goals and 135 ranking points.
Harry Sheezel

Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

Forward, 183cm, 73kg

Sheezel put his name up in lights with two standout performances, which featured highlights galore. Two of the dangerous forward’s three goals against Vic Country were opportunistic snaps from stoppages – one in heavy congestion over his head on the goal line, the other on his non-preferred left boot after bursting through traffic. Sheezel finished with 13 disposals, two contested marks and 144 ranking points, underlining his exciting traits at ground level and in the air as a marking presence. He also starred as a bottom-ager for the Sandringham Dragons with five goals in three games. Sheezel was one of the best players on the ground in his final NAB League game of the season against Calder, winning 21 disposals, six marks, six tackles and booting 3.3. One who draft watchers will love seeing in action next year.
Elijah Tsatas

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

Midfielder, 184cm, 73kg

Tsatas will enter 2022 as one of the No.1 pick contenders – just like fellow Oakleigh Chargers products Nick Daicos and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan in the past two years. The explosive midfielder turned heads in the under-17 national championships match against Vic Country with his evasiveness and vision by hand at the contest, coupled with his breakaway speed away from it. He tallied 25 disposals, nine score involvements 143 ranking points and a goal, which came from a blistering run with a series of bounces from the wing. Tsatas broke into a talented Chargers line-up as a bottom-ager earlier in the year, catching the eye with his clean hands and composure in traffic on the way to 11 touches.
George Wardlaw is contested-ball winning machine. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos
George Wardlaw is contested-ball winning machine. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos
George Wardlaw

Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
More Coverage
AFL fixture latest: Footy’s big return to the Top End
‘Don’t give a fig’: Club concern over dwindling draft incentives
The AFL draftees you need to know for KFC SuperCoach

Midfielder, 181cm, 72kg

Wardlaw is a competitive beast who wins contested ball at will at the coalface. The relentless midfielder won a staggering 75 per cent of his possessions in a contest for the Oakleigh Chargers in his NAB League debut, finishing with 19 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 10 clearances, seven tackles and 119 ranking points. Earlier in the year he stood tall for Vic Metro with 22 disposals, 14 contested possessions, seven tackles, six clearances, 163 ranking points and a goal - where he also showcased his decision-making by foot, quick hands and his burst of speed from stoppages. Wardlaw applies manic defensive pressure and has an innate ability to shake opposition tacklers, making him an extremely well-rounded midfield prospect who should feature at the pointy-end of proceedings in next year’s draft.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I reckon there'll be a trade frenzy late in 2022 as clubs try to increase their chances of getting 1 or 2 of these talls in the 2022 draft.

Maybe a tall that missed out being drafted in 2021 will shine in 2022 and get drafted.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

AFL DRAFT 2022. AFL Academy: The 12 Victorians to watch in 2022

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... a0a6c9e756
Last edited by saynta on Mon 13 Dec 2021 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 11:04am AFL DRAFT 2022. 10 Victorians to watch

Pity we'll have pick #18 🤔

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 12:20pm

:wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From AFL.com.au

2022 NAB AFL Academy

Will Ashcroft, Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Jackson Broadbent, Western Australia/Peel Thunder
Jedd Busslinger, Western Australia/East Perth
Jhye Clark, Vic Country/Geelong Falcons
Lachlan Cowan, Tasmania/Tasmania Devils
Adam D'Aloia, South Australia/Woodville-West Torrens
Jaspa Fletcher, Queensland/Sherwood Magpies/Brisbane Lions Academy
Sam Gilbey, Western Australia/Claremont
Jason Gillbee, New South Wales/Bendigo Pioneers/GWS Giants
Jed Hagan, Western Australia/East Fremantle
Elijah Hewitt, Western Australia/Swan Districts
Oliver Hollands, Vic Country/Murray Bushrangers
Matthew Jefferson, Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Harry Lemmey, South Australia/West Adelaide
Max Michaelanny, South Australia/Norwood
Anthony Munkara, Northern Territory/Wanderers/NT Thunder
Harry Sheezel, Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons
Mitch Szybkowski, Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays
Luke Teal, Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Elijah Tsatas, Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
George Wardlaw, Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers
Lachlan Cabor, New South Sales/Shellharbour/Sydney Swans Academy
Daniel Curtin, Western Australia/Claremont
Jack Delean, South Australia/South Adelaide
Zane Duursma, Vic Country/Gippsland Power
Will Patton, South Australia/West Adelaide
Harley Reid, Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers
Ryley Sanders, Tasmania/Tasmania Devils
Jed Walter, Queensland/Palm Beach Currumbin/Gold Coast Suns Academy
Nick Watson, Vic Metro/Eastern Ranges

damienc
Club Player

I think you will find that the club's number one priority will be to get Ben King. And we stand a very good chance of succeeding.

Having the two King brothers at the Saints is the 2022 end goal, recruitment wise.

Everything else is window dressing. So I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Fri 31 Dec 2021 3:15pm

I think you will find that the club's number one priority will be to get Ben King. And we stand a very good chance of succeeding.

Having the two King brothers at the Saints is the 2022 end goal, recruitment wise.

Everything else is window dressing. So I wouldn't worry if I were you.
I'm hoping the club's number one priority is why we'll have pick #18 😉
Getting Ben will be nice as well.

Vazelos
Club Player

George Wardlaw is a freak seen him play many times and a great kid.