Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

ace wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 3:20am SSSSHHHHH
Don't anyone mention that back on 12 November St Kilda did a deal with Collingwood.
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 12 Nov 2021 4:23pm
http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103464

ace wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 5:01am Collingwood had 2,406 points collected in late picks.
Just enough to cover Daicos being called by North at pick no1.

But North's big mouths committing to Horne hyphen Francis at No1 told Collingwood they only needed 2,012 points if Daicos was called at pick no2.
They could trade away 394 points and still get Daicos.
They traded 207 of those points to St Kilda for a 2022 4th rounder attached to Adelaide.
The don't even need the 170 points attached to pick 58.
There is a reason North is at the bottom of the ladder = arrogant stupidity
Sure - but we have benefitted from that Arrogance

We would benefit more if North called Daicos and then Darcy at #1/#2 and they were both matched - but then they miss the marketing of having the #1 draft pick (although also removes the pressure from Horne-Francis)

Who know what will play out on draft day(s)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Cal Twomey latest Draft ranking (not order) has Windhager at 28 and Owens at 29.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/687290/cal- ... er-ranking
That would put St Kilda 190 points in deficit, forcing St Kilda's 2022 second round pick back about 9 or 10 places.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 9:05am
Don't anyone mention that back on 12 November St Kilda did a deal with Collingwood.
So you are indicating the club still has NOT shown it on their website, only quietly tweeting it to twitter followers.

And new thread created instead of placing it in this thread where it belonged.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 12:08pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 9:05am
So you are indicating the club still has NOT shown it on their website, only quietly tweeting it to twitter followers.

And new thread created instead of placing it in this thread where it belonged.
No - just pointing people to OUR discussion (the only one that is relevant - lol)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't it be nice if North pulled their heads in and picked Daicos at No1.
That would make Collingwood go into deficit.
The points would come off their 2022 1st round draft pick.
187 points down, that could men slipping 2 places late in the top 10.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 6:56pm Wouldn't it be nice if North pulled their heads in and picked Daicos at No1.
Won't happen, Norf want their player to be No. 1 and get the kudos and the $10,000 NAB Investment Portfolio.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 7:01pm
ace wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 6:56pm Wouldn't it be nice if North pulled their heads in and picked Daicos at No1.
Won't happen, Norf want their player to be No. 1 and get the kudos and the $10,000 NAB Investment Portfolio.
Such a pity. Allegedly North are out of debt yet can't pay their "#1" a bonus, in the meantime NOT making opposition clubs pay their right whack.

The AFL is a joke!

Surely not putting the pressure on your new #1 draft pick should be of more value than a measely 10K???

ace
Saintsational Legend

How much does it matter whether Daicos & Darcy get called at 2 & 3 compared to 3 & 4
About 27 points assuming Daicos called before Darcy.

St Kilda would be able to cover Windhager & Owens at picks 32 & 33 if Daicos & Darcy called at 2 & 3
But St Kilda would be able to cover Windhager & Owens at picks 33 & 34 if Daicos & Darcy called at 3 & 4

When Windhager and Owens get called will be the primary determining factor in whether St Kilda has to go into point deficit and slip the 2022 2nd rounder down the order.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 8:58pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 21 Nov 2021 7:01pm
Such a pity. Allegedly North are out of debt yet can't pay their "#1" a bonus, in the meantime NOT making opposition clubs pay their right whack.

The AFL is a joke!

Surely not putting the pressure on your new #1 draft pick should be of more value than a measely 10K???
That $10k is AFL money from NAB, does not come from North or even count against their celery cap.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Final draft order ahead of the draft.
A few changes
GWS fail to clear enough space so lose their 4th & 5th round picks
Melbourne fails to clear enough space so lose their 4th round pick
Gold Coast fail to clear enough space so lose their 5th round pick

This means St kilda's later picks advance
Instead of picks 59, 55, 62, 66, 67, 85 they are now 55, 61, 65, 66, 81
This adds 33 points to St Kilda's stockpile to match bids in the range 21 to 40 for Windhager & Owens.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/679302/fina ... ub-s-picks

Note don't be mislead St Kilda has all of its own 2022 draft picks intact, the one traded out was attached to Adelaide.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A Collingwood member pies4life posted the following on the Saints BF site recently -

Good news, GIANTS have opted against bidding for Owens which pretty much means he'll be post-20 for you guys to match.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Cal Twomey's phantom draft of the top 30 has us taking Wanganeen-Milera at 11 and Owens bid on at 29 by Richmond.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/688361/cal- ... b-whispers

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

more from afl.com.au

"The Saints added the Magpies' pick 55 to their draft hand before the pick swap window ended to ensure they have enough draft points to match bids on Next Generation Academy pair Mitchito Owens and Marcus Windhager. Owens is expected to attract a bid before Windhager, a powerful midfield option who can also go forward. The Saints have also nominated Jack Peris, the speedy small who is the son of former Olympian Nova, under Next Generation Academy rules and could pick him late and the same with Josiah Kyle, who is an exciting forward capable of some eye-catching moments. Outside of their Academy, running half-back Lewis Rayson and half-back/midfielder Cooper Hamilton may be worth consideration, while the winner of the Fothergill-Round-Mitchell Medal in the VFL, Charlie Dean, could also be looked at by the Saints as a mature-age tall defender.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6f173facdb

"11. St Kilda

Matt Johnson (Subiaco)

Midfielder, 190cm 78kg

St Kilda interviewed the classy WA midfielder recently and could jump in front a number of interested clubs with its first pick. Johnson is tall, clean, agile and makes great decisions with the ball, and will complement what the Saints already have nicely.

IN THE MIX: The Saints have shown interest in dashing defender Josh Sinn and would likely snap up Gibcus if he slid past the Tigers and Dockers. The best kick in the draft, Wanganeen-Milera, has also been linked to this pick."

"30. St Kilda

Matching Richmond’s bid

Mitchito Owens (Sandringham Dragons)

Midfielder, 191cm, 87kg
More Coverage

It will be a nervous first night for the Saints, who won’t able to match a top-20 bid for their NGA prospect. But they are likely to match one outside that and the Tigers are a chance to make them with one of their selections. After a huge late growth spurt, there’s a lot to like about the athletic, high-leaping Owens, who could continue to develop into an attacking weapon.

IN THE MIX: It’s hard to see the Saints letting Owens go, even if that means orchestrating another pick swap to make it work."

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Chris Doerre's (knightmare) phantom draft.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... every-pick

The Hawks list manager has floated they would be interested in trading both picks 21 & 24 for a 1st round pick. I wonder if the Saints would entertain that given the supposed evenness of the draft after the earlier picks? The Hawks may even throw in a 3rd round future pick as a sweetener. The Saints would give up a first round pick, yet open up access to an array of players. Using the above phantom players like Sonsie, Knevitt, Butler, Rhett Bazzo (a key defender whom I believe projects better than Gibcus), MacDonald and many others. IMO its a free hit to pick up another quality player - definitely food for thought!!!

bergsone
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 2:08pm Chris Doerre's (knightmare) phantom draft.

The Hawks list manager has floated they would be interested in trading both picks 21 & 24 for a 1st round pick. I wonder if the Saints would entertain that given the supposed evenness of the draft after the earlier picks? The Hawks may even throw in a 3rd round future pick as a sweetener. The Saints would give up a first round pick, yet open up access to an array of players. Using the above phantom players like Sonsie, Knevitt, Butler, Rhett Bazzo (a key defender whom I believe projects better than Gibcus), MacDonald and many others. IMO its a free hit to pick up another quality player - definitely food for thought!!!
Damned if you do and Damned if you dont.2 picks under 25 is tempting when you add 2 academdy players.Pick 11 turns out to be a gun or a dud or a gop

silverhalo
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 1:49pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 6f173facdb

"11. St Kilda

Matt Johnson (Subiaco)

Midfielder, 190cm 78kg

St Kilda interviewed the classy WA midfielder recently and could jump in front a number of interested clubs with its first pick. Johnson is tall, clean, agile and makes great decisions with the ball, and will complement what the Saints already have nicely.

IN THE MIX: The Saints have shown interest in dashing defender Josh Sinn and would likely snap up Gibcus if he slid past the Tigers and Dockers. The best kick in the draft, Wanganeen-Milera, has also been linked to this pick."

"30. St Kilda

Matching Richmond’s bid

Mitchito Owens (Sandringham Dragons)

Midfielder, 191cm, 87kg
More Coverage

It will be a nervous first night for the Saints, who won’t able to match a top-20 bid for their NGA prospect. But they are likely to match one outside that and the Tigers are a chance to make them with one of their selections. After a huge late growth spurt, there’s a lot to like about the athletic, high-leaping Owens, who could continue to develop into an attacking weapon.

IN THE MIX: It’s hard to see the Saints letting Owens go, even if that means orchestrating another pick swap to make it work."
I'd be more than happy with Johnson or Wanganeen-Milera - we desperately need silk to complement our inside mids and these two have got it in spades..

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 2:08pm Chris Doerre's (knightmare) phantom draft.

And if we swap for picks 21 and 24, and one of our NGA players is called at 22, we then lose 24 by matching. So end up worse off.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 5:02pm
I'd be more than happy with Johnson or Wanganeen-Milera - we desperately need silk to complement our inside mids and these two have got it in spades..

MJ is one of a number that I would be quite happy with.

A lot depends with who goes before us, but at pick 11 we should have some excellent players to pick from.

In terms of a mid, how good the crop will be at pick 11 will depend on how many talls go before our pick. 2 may be picked, or 4. The more talls picked before 11, the better our choice of a potential mid will be.

If Andrew slides to 11 the Saints may be tempted.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 6:57pm

And if we swap for picks 21 and 24, and one of our NGA players is called at 22, we then lose 24 by matching. So end up worse off.
True that would be a calculated risk! Personally I don't rate Owens as a top 40 player and Windhager is a risk due to his back issues. If another club was stupid enough to bid on Owens earlier I would let them have him.

silverhalo
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 7:56pm

True that would be a calculated risk! Personally I don't rate Owens as a top 40 player and Windhager is a risk due to his back issues. If another club was stupid enough to bid on Owens earlier I would let them have him.
I think I'd agree with you based on the footage I've seen....

saynta
Saintsational Legend

No f****** way

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 10:26pm

No f****** way
He is a free hit as an NGA player, but have you watched all his Dragons games?

He is an above average player - who doesnt hurt the opposition with his possessions. The one game against Vic Country when he got nearly 30 possessions, he would have gained about 100 metres total with the footy. He gives dinky little handballs and kicks and hasnt impressed me as much as Windhager.

He will be a good project player but I wouldnt be expecting him to become a dominant midfielder.

ace
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote: Tue 23 Nov 2021 2:59pm

Damned if you do and Damned if you dont.2 picks under 25 is tempting when you add 2 academdy players.Pick 11 turns out to be a gun or a dud or a gop
St Kilda needs a star or a failure, 2 mediocres add nothing to list.
St Kilda has heaps of mediocres.
Get the best available at 11 and pray that he is a star, not a failure.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The Swans are expected to sign former St Kilda No.1 pick Paddy McCartin through the pre-season supplemental selection period player after he did not nominate for the draft.

Yes, I know it is crazy.
Criminally crazy.
But here it is.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/688361/cal- ... b-whispers