Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Recruit
Club Player

Re: Trade-Draft 2021 Discussion

Carlton or freo for cerra

Whispers are Bing is a chance this year

Faulky63
Club Player

FREMANTLE midfielder Adam Cerra has requested a trade home to Victoria.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Fremantle will draft Erasmus with Carltons pick, then may look at Amiss or Van Rooyen with their own 1st. They will be able to take WA kids without compromising their selections.

If Carlton are stupid enough to give up next years 1st also then they could also target a more mature WA player like Georgiades.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 12:36am Carlton or freo for cerra

Bing is not a chance.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Sammy Hamill said this morning on SEN we can expect ‘another aggressive trade period’ for the saints. I think Ratten said they would be looking at bringing in some players after the game on Sunday, so expect a bit of action from the saints.

Surely they mean players going out, as much as targeting players to fill holes? We really need to have a big year at the draft/s to balance our list going forward IMO.

Sanctorum
Club Player

To clarify the status quo regarding the forthcoming Trade-Draft position, following is the criteria for AFL lists in 2022 noted on AFL.com.au:

"Each club must have a minimum of 37 players and no more than 44 for next year.

Clubs must carry at least 36 senior listed players and if they're intending on hitting only 37 overall, then they can have as few as one rookie.

To reach the maximum of 44, that must include 36-38 senior listed players, four to six standard rookies (Category A) and two Category B rookies.

If clubs go without Category B rookies, they'll be able to have a maximum of 42.

Those taken in the NAB AFL Draft are senior listed players.
"

Currently St Kilda has a full complement of 44 players of whom 7 are rookies:

Oscar Clavarino
Darragh Joyce
Paul Hunter
Max Heath
Cooper Sharman
Callum Wilkie
Sam Alabakis

Which leaves 37 players on the primary list, the minimum under current rules.

So far 3 players are leaving the club - Dylan Roberton, Jake Carlisle & Shaun McKernan.

There are question marks over the future of the following:

Luke Dunstan
Seb Ross
Jack Lonie
James Frawley
Sam Alabakis

If all of these go, that will leave the club to fill at least 7 spots on the senior list (3 retirements + 4 ? marks) - you would expect to see Callum Wilkie, Cooper Sharman & Max Heath get promoted to the senior list, which leaves 4 places, 3 of which will go to NAB Draft picks 9, 46 and 64.

To give greater flexibility kit is possible for the club to move senior players to the rookie list - that could well be Matt Allison and Jarryn Geary as the latter is unlikely to be more than a backup player in 2022 (heresy to some!!)

All of this gives the club the potential to draft in 2 or more experienced players in the trade period to fill the perceived gaps - CHB, ruck, midfield as reported in recent weeks.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Sanctorum.

I'd like to know how many, if any, from the NGA the club is looking at. NGA x ???

How many trades or RFAs / FAs the club is eyeing? Trades x ???

How many from the National Draft? Draft x ???

I suspect...

Draft x 2
NGA (also the Draft) x 2
Trades x 3 (just a guess but Ratts sounded quite pointed & Hamill backed that we'd be active again.

That's 7 (at least) on the main list, meaning 7 to be cut, retired or rookied without including...Wilkie, Sharman & Heath

Rookies: I hope Clavarino is rookied again as he can play at the level, just requires a run of games. Can Joyce also be rookied (again)?

I suspect a minimum of 10 to be turned over, possibly a dozen.

If non of this makes sense, that's fine because I'm confused. Others on this site, like Sainter_Dad, Ace, Sanctorum, MSG, sainterkid appear to have a better grasp of the machinations come the draft & trade period.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 12:00pm Cheers Sanctorum.

I'd like to know how many, if any, from the NGA the club is looking at. NGA x ???

How many trades or RFAs / FAs the club is eyeing? Trades x ???

How many from the National Draft? Draft x ???

I suspect...

Draft x 2
NGA (also the Draft) x 2
Trades x 3 (just a guess but Ratts sounded quite pointed & Hamill backed that we'd be active again.

That's 7 (at least) on the main list, meaning 7 to be cut, retired or rookied without including...Wilkie, Sharman & Heath

Rookies: I hope Clavarino is rookied again as he can play at the level, just requires a run of games. Can Joyce also be rookied (again)?

I suspect a minimum of 10 to be turned over, possibly a dozen.

If non of this makes sense, that's fine because I'm confused. Others on this site, like Sainter_Dad, Ace, Sanctorum, MSG, sainterkid appear to have a better grasp of the machinations come the draft & trade period.
AFL wrote: CLUBS are set to retain the same list sizes for 2022 while rookies in their third season will be allowed to spend a fourth 'replacement year' on the list after the AFL passed a rule change ahead of the off-season.
So all on the Rookie list can stay there - however - one would feel that at least Cal Wilkie will be elevated - As previously suggested Heath and Sharman may also get elevated - but that will probably be determined by other plans - ie can we get Senior players in whilst still leaving them on the Rookie Category - or do we need to fill the 37 spots
AFL wrote: But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season. They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022.
So Geary et al may be able to be Rookie listed

Assuming only Cal gets elevated it would leave:
Rookies:
Mason Wood
Oscar Clavarino
Darragh Joyce
Paul Hunter
Max Heath
Cooper Sharman

Category B:
Sam Alabakis
AFL wrote: Meanwhile, clubs have been told they will have to again select a minimum of three players at the NAB AFL Draft after last year only needing to take one because of list reductions. The three live picks can include promoted rookies (before or after the national draft), national draft picks and pre-season draft selections.
So we will be pretty much able to do whatever the Coaching / Recruitment team want to do and juggle the players within the above requirements

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sanctorum
Club Player

That's my take as well SD, the club is very well positioned to have a lot of flexibility to maximise the upcoming trade and draft options - the only clear stipulation is a minimum of 36 players on the senior list.

However I've not worked out what the advantages (if any) are of keeping existing players who play regularly, such as Callum Wilkie (and now Cooper Sharman), as rookies, since the AFL has cut out the requirement that rookies could only play if taking the place of someone on long-term injury list.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 25 Aug 2021 3:30pm That's my take as well SD, the club is very well positioned to have a lot of flexibility to maximise the upcoming trade and draft options - the only clear stipulation is a minimum of 36 players on the senior list.

However I've not worked out what the advantages (if any) are of keeping existing players who play regularly, such as Callum Wilkie (and now Cooper Sharman), as rookies, since the AFL has cut out the requirement that rookies could only play if taking the place of someone on long-term injury list.
$$$$

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The trade period is due to begin on October 4 and finish on October 13.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saints58
Club Player

Some of the players we might look at are Hayden Mc clean of Sydney forward ruck 197cm.or Lewis Young of bulldogs key back 201cm 100kg might get him cheap if he does not get a contract again.

Saint 58
Club Player

I like both but more so Young, he looks very mobile & agile for his size

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
The Recruit
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 24 Aug 2021 4:43pm

Bing is not a chance.
Battle, our future first and 2nd rnd pick 2021 for Bing

The Recruit
Club Player

Lipinsky also big chance to be a saint (not my rumour)

I think Parker is a strong chance also
Apparently Into him last year as well

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 10:42pm Lipinsky also big chance to be a saint (not my rumour)

I doubt the quality of your source on both.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 10:40pm

Bing is not a chance.
Bing will not be leaving the Gold Coast anytime soon, my guess is he will sign a Godfather offer from GC Suns around the same time they secure the services of Clarko this time next year.

People have to understand that the AFL own the GCS and a lot of powerful people within the commission have a vested financial interest in that club becoming a success. They are making it known that the current list must stay together and be successful and so they are not going to let go a player who a whole list is built around.

Bing no come here
Here no Bing
No Bing here

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

What about Constable from Geelong? Can't get a game and reportedly looking for more opportunities. Absolutely tearing it up in the VFL.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 7:53am What about Constable from Geelong? Can't get a game and reportedly looking for more opportunities. Absolutely tearing it up in the VFL.

I think the problem now is that to improve our list what we need in terms of mids is Quality with a capital Q.

Swapping in say a Constable to add to our midfield for say a Bytel, Clark in terms of our best....or even Dunstan will not really help us.

We have plenty of depth to our midfield, but we only really have one gun in Steele.

So if we cannot trade/FA in a midfield gun, thin I think we need to keep churning through young mids till we find our next Steele. Could that be Constable? How much upside does he have?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Recruit
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 1:28am
The Recruit wrote: Thu 26 Aug 2021 10:42pm Lipinsky also big chance to be a saint (not my rumour)

I doubt the quality of your source on both.
Doubt away

The Recruit
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 6:44am

Bing is not a chance.
Bing will not be leaving the Gold Coast anytime soon, my guess is he will sign a Godfather offer from GC Suns around the same time they secure the services of Clarko this time next year.

People have to understand that the AFL own the GCS and a lot of powerful people within the commission have a vested financial interest in that club becoming a success. They are making it known that the current list must stay together and be successful and so they are not going to let go a player who a whole list is built around.

Bing no come here
Here no Bing
No Bing here
Its a chance
AFL not happy but can't do anything to stop it.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It's times like these I miss the certainty of the Ted Whisperer.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Bing is not a chance.

Bing no come here
Here no Bing
No Bing here
I agree, and in any case they won't be giving up their marquee player for a couple of GOPs and or a couple of shite draft picks.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 10:04am
st.byron wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 7:53am What about Constable from Geelong? Can't get a game and reportedly looking for more opportunities. Absolutely tearing it up in the VFL.

I think the problem now is that to improve our list what we need in terms of mids is Quality with a capital Q.

Swapping in say a Constable to add to our midfield for say a Bytel, Clark in terms of our best....or even Dunstan will not really help us.

We have plenty of depth to our midfield, but we only really have one gun in Steele.

So if we cannot trade/FA in a midfield gun, thin I think we need to keep churning through young mids till we find our next Steele. Could that be Constable? How much upside does he have?
Only what I've heard is that he's a quality young player lacking opportunity because Geelong has such quality already. Reported by his connections through Old Haileybury that he's been smashing it in the VFL. Elite quality? Don't know. He seemed to hit the ground running when he started but no space for him at Geelong at present.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Fri 27 Aug 2021 1:49pm

Bing is not a chance.

Bing no come here
Here no Bing
No Bing here
Its a chance
AFL not happy but can't do anything to stop it.
If he genuinely wants to move and insists on doing so there's nothing GC or the AFL can do.