AFL General Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

AFL General Discussion

Sticky to discuss non Saints AFL issues under same rules of Fan Forum.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL General Discussion

Hate watching Geelong in Geelong...
Late hits and other cheap shots ... Selwood crying murder after being pinged for a clear throw like he doesn’t throw 1/3 handballs anyway... then you have Chris Scott getting mouthy with Neale for gesturing the guy that struck him in the head off the ball

Absolute scumbags

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The dropping ball by Bilcavs was a horrific miss by the ump - was too scared to pay it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
axcellence
Club Player

Disgusting work by the umpy there.

AFL is a pretty ordinary do nothing org on this matter.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Port killing the Dopers

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lyon or Clarkson will end up coaching Carlton.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 30 Mar 2021 7:48pm Lyon or Clarkson will end up coaching Carlton.
Blues will lose Martin & Fisher for 6 weeks each - huge blow to their speed ranks - they may beat Freo this week without Fyfe but then they have tough games coming against GC (away) Port & Brisbane - could easily be 1 & 5

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Roos want to keep Good Friday to themselves and as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome to it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 0415a33247

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Great way to start the Easter break ...... thank you Brions

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Devilhead wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 1:14am Great way to start the Easter break ...... thank you Brions
And after that it all went south
If not for another horrific run of injuries for the Giants they might have beaten the demons up at manuka and we would have finished second last

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 2:16am
Devilhead wrote: Fri 02 Apr 2021 1:14am Great way to start the Easter break ...... thank you Brions
And after that it all went south
If not for another horrific run of injuries for the Giants they might have beaten the demons up at manuka and we would have finished second last
:roll:
And if my aunt had balls , she would be my uncle.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

yeah I hear thats pretty common in Tassie

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 08 Apr 2021 3:29pm yeah I hear thats pretty common in Tassie
Being a Victorian I will take your word for that. :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Druggies brought back down to earth with 3 points loss to swannies. Tough s*** losers.
Last edited by saynta on Sun 11 Apr 2021 4:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The umpire got it correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Lynch of Adelaide kicked a point at the end of the second quarter versus North Melbourne.
He may have got the kick away after the siren sounds on TV.
But sound travels 100m in 0.3sec.
So if the broadcast booth is close to the siren the TV will here the siren when the button is depressed.
But the umpire will hear the siren later because the nearest siren is in the stands.
The rules say that the quarter ends when the umpire hears the siren not Jason Dunstall.

More controversial is the TV clock going to zero and the siren being pressed later.
I have stood next the time keepers booth at the MCG.
The time keepers are watching their clock but they don't hover their hand over the button, so they can hit the button at zero.
Instead a hand has to be moved to above the button and then the button pressed.
The button is pressed a decimal of a second after the clock hits zero.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Caleb Daniel must get weeks for his spear tackle on Tom Berry.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 4:05pm Caleb Daniel must get weeks for his spear tackle on Tom Berry.
1 week is probably about right but it could have easily been 2

Think Berry's momentum diving forward may have contributed to the tackle panning out as it did

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dopers brought back well and truly to earth. Hehe

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a f****** self-serving fat f*** creep Elliott was/is.

Saints would not have survived and that lying f*** knows it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we- ... 57km7.html

"As he read newspaper reports on Tuesday of European soccer’s proposed breakaway Super League, John Elliott couldn’t help but think of his own clandestine plans almost 40 years ago.

It seems incomprehensible now to think there could be a breakaway AFL competition, but that was what Elliott, then in his pomp as Carlton president, powerful businessman and major Liberal party identity, was planning in 1984.
A report on the proposed rebel league that appeared in The Age on May 16, 1984.

A report on the proposed rebel league that appeared in The Age on May 16, 1984.Credit:The Age

Along with his wily Blues lieutenant Ian Collins, and with Collingwood president Ranald Macdonald and Richmond counterpart Ian Wilson among those also agitating for significant change, the then 12-team Victorian Football League was under siege.

As clubs continued to hemorrhage money amid an explosion in player salaries and recruiting, and fans grew disillusioned with admission prices rising 17 per cent per year (inflation was 10 per cent at the time), Elliott and Collins hatched their plan for a rebel league.

They delivered a 48-page document calling for a national competition, complete with a long-winded title: “A proposal for reconstructing the existing competition to make it viable for the long-term”.

“I wrote it because I believed it,” Elliott, 79, said on Tuesday.

“The place was going broke. I even had a constitution written which meant we had gone a fair way down the track. I used prominent lawyers to write the constitution. We were ready to go. It would have happened very quickly. We wouldn’t have had all the interstate clubs in but we would have started. But Allen Aylett, who was president of the VFL, said he wanted to investigate this. We pushed him into having a national competition.”

Under Elliott’s plan, all 12 Victorian clubs were invited to join, together with two each from South Australia and Western Australia, with the caveat being each club would have to prove it had a net worth of least $250,000.
Advertisement

As detailed in Garry Linnell’s Football Ltd – The Inside Story of the AFL, Elliott believed only seven Victorian teams would have survived (five had been technically declared bankrupt) in what shaped as a 12- or 14-team competition that could pocket $45 million in revenue in its first year (the VFL’s total income in 1984 was $37.5 million).

Elliott said he couldn’t remember which Victorian clubs would have not met the financial obligations – Essendon and Hawthorn had also endorsed his bid – but was happy in hindsight that all had survived.

He said Geelong had been an important backer because this ensured the new competition had access to the MCG, which at the time was at loggerheads with the VFL, Carlton’s Princes Park and the Cats’ Kardinia Park as major venues, for the league would have denied access to VFL Park.

At a secret meeting late in 1984 at a Mt Macedon mansion owned by Elliott’s Elders IXL, in front of representatives of nine of the 12 clubs, Elliott outlined why he felt the league had been run poorly by Aylett and general manager Jack Hamilton and confirmed the Blues and all clubs could legally leave the VFL without reprise.

Elliott also wanted football played across the weekend – including on Friday and Monday nights – and not just on Saturday afternoons, ensuring commercial and broadcast deals could be maximised. The plan was also to introduce a player draft to help keep transfers under control, while a four-man board of management would run the game, including a full-time commissioner.

While several nodded in agreement, there was concern that the VFL had largely been kept in the dark. The next morning Collins, Melbourne president Dick Seddon and North Melbourne chief executive Ron Joseph, who had filled in at the meeting for his president Bob Ansett – the trio had shared a car trip back to Melbourne – opted to front Hamilton at the VFL’s headquarters in Jolimont.

As it turned out, the VFL had been debating many of the same issues, but the prospect of a rebel league prompted urgent change. Within three weeks, a scathing report on the manner in which the VFL conducted business was handed down, and recommendations for a new board of management were introduced. A national draft was introduced in 1986, the West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears joined in 1987 and the league hasn’t looked back.

“It [Elliott’s plan] would have been absolutely identical – the only difference was that they [VFL] didn’t eliminate any of the existing clubs. We were going to eliminate some. In hindsight, I am not perturbed by the fact they didn’t,” Elliott said.

“We would have built a very strong competition, which has subsequently happened, and we would have gone interstate, which has happened.”

At the time, Elliott and Wilson, the latter despite calling for new teams from “all over Australia”, denied to The Age there had been discussions about a breakaway group, while Macdonald could not confirm or deny such suggestions.

“All I want to say is that I hope the VFL can change and improve from within,” Macdonald had said.

That it has, and Elliott now says he could not see a breakaway AFL competition forming.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not good.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... b36fa809e4

"AFL powerhouse Richmond has been hit with a major damages claim over a series of painkilling jabs given to former Tigers hardman Ty Zantuck.

Zantuck’s lawyers on Wednesday night lodged a Supreme Court statement of claim alleging he received “15-20 epidurals” between 2002 and 2004 in a bid to get him on the field despite suffering a debilitating back injury.

Zantuck has endured 17 operations on his spine since retiring from the AFL in 2005, can no longer work and is battling permanent pain and depression.

It is understood the damages being sought are in excess of $1 million."

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

"17 operations on his spine since retiring"

He has suffered a fair bit and perhaps family and others have also advised him he should try and get some compensation

Are you saying it's Not good that he is suing?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 24 Apr 2021 4:06am "17 operations on his spine since retiring"

He has suffered a fair bit and perhaps family and others have also advised him he should try and get some compensation

Are you saying it's Not good that he is suing?
No FFS. Not good that he has had so many operations.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moneyball recruits.

From herald sun.com.au

". Nick Hind (Essendon)

When it comes to Moneyball recruits, Hind just about tops the list.

The Bombers gave up pick 67 and moved three spots back with their pick 74 in exchange for Hind, who has filled the void left by rebounding half-backs Adam Saad and Connor McKenna for a fraction of the cost.

Used as a small forward at St Kilda, Hind has had far greater impact down back, with his speed and ability to run and carry the ball.

His ball use is good and he ranks above average for metres gained at 464m per game — more than what Saad averaged for the Bombers last year.

Defensively, Hind is also very capable.

He has had big jobs on players such as Luke Breust, Orazio Fantasia, Dan Butler and Tom Papley this year — and come out on top.

Hind rates above average for one-on-one contests and elite for both intercepts and pressure.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Don't f****** blame him. The maggots were pathetically biased against his team.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 731ffcb55f

"GWS footy boss Jason McCartney is set to come under scrutiny according to a report claiming he unloaded on umpires at halftime."