AFL General Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL General Discussion

New AFL footy boss Brad Scott is moving to end confusion over head-high hits, with three controversial incidents last season now examples of clear-cut bans.
Jon Ralph

Match review officer Michael Christian is set to remain in his role next year as the AFL attempts to provide players with greater clarity in its crackdown on head-high bumps.

The league’s revamp of the head-high rule means a trio of contentious bumps that saw players reported in 2021 would all be cut-and-dried suspensions next season.

Patrick Dangerfield’s Round 1 head clash that broke Jake Kelly’s nose and left him concussed as well as David Mackay’s accidental clash with Hunter Clark would both be clear-cut suspensions.

So would Lachie Plowman’s collision with Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara, that saw the Carlton defender suspended for two weeks after it was judged he did not attempt to spoil or mark the ball.

Former Carlton coach David Teague said the incident was “in the spirit of the game” and the Blues appealed the decision but failed to have it overturned.

McKay escaped suspension for his hit on Clark, which caused extensive damage to the St Kilda defender’s jaw and still has him in modified training given the explosive nature of the hit.
Patrick Dangerfield and Jake Kelly collide. Picture: AAP Image/Matt Turner
Patrick Dangerfield and Jake Kelly collide. Picture: AAP Image/Matt Turner

The league is fighting concussion battles on multiple fronts, with campaigner Peter Jess believing retired premiership player Daniel Venables deserves $10 million in compensation as he works with the league on a payout.

West Coast premiership star Brad Sheppard might miss the entire 2022 season due to concussion issues, with a decision only weeks away.

Christian and former AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking worked closely, with the AFL official rubber-stamping all decisions as part of his role. But the pair were at odds over at least one case this year.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch The Ashes in 4K Ultra HD, only on Foxtel Find Out More

The Herald Sun understands Christian will continue in his role in 2022, with new AFL football manager Brad Scott set to provide guidance to the one-man match review panel.
Lachie Plowman crashes into Jaeger O'Meara. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
Lachie Plowman crashes into Jaeger O'Meara. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Scott has made clear the league is keen to crack down on all incidents where a player bumps and makes head-high contact that injures a rival.

“In most instances there is a player who is late to that contest,“ Scott said this week.

“If you’re late and you hit the player in the head, you’re going to be in trouble. There’s broad acceptance of that amongst the clubs.”

The league’s challenge will be to provide a set of parameters and wording to players to ensure they are clear on their responsibilities to opponents.

Commentators have grown frustrated that players who forcibly bump rivals to the head – but do not injure them – are often treated differently to those who bump but concuss or injure rivals with the exact same force.

realdeal
Club Player

The AFL :roll:
Brad Scott is just another boys club appointment.

At this rate players will have to ask opponents if they're ready to get tackled before doing so...

At the start of their career players should all sign a document stating they understand the risks involved in playing a professional contact sport.

Its like batsmen nowadays. They wear helmets so no longer think its necessary to practise against the short ball. They get hit in the head and stupid people start calling for bounces to be banned.

Players also need to take responsibility for their own safety, this includes bracing for contact, awareness of where opposition is and not putting your head in dangerous places in the hope of getting free kicks..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Off Topic
Scott Palmer.

Rest in peace mate. The last of the real gentlemen reporters.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/lege ... 1e92cf5289

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Behind the scenes plan for covid action.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/beh ... 59uoh.html

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 08 Feb 2022 2:33pm Behind the scenes plan for covid action.

About time the AFL showed some community leadership and remove all restrictions for the unxaxxed now that the evidence is proving the vaccine won't end the Pandemic.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 11:07am

About time the AFL showed some community leadership and remove all restrictions for the unxaxxed now that the evidence is proving the vaccine won't end the Pandemic.
Even you should understand that the restrictions are there to prevent sick people spreading the virus to others FFS.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 11:29am

Even you should understand that the restrictions are there to prevent sick people spreading the virus to others FFS.
What rock do you live under FFS, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Absolutely proven beyond any doubt that the vaccine does not prevent transmission and all the government properganda about how we had to take the vaccine to protect the vulnerable was not deeply rooted in any credible scientific evidence. Talk about misinformation.

That has to be one of the biggest lies ever rolled out by governments and has largely been responsible for so many deaths because it lead people to falsely believe they had an invisible shield and engaged in risky behaviour such as mingling with the vulnerable in the community.

The families of the vaccinated elderly in aged care homes who have died have every right to sue over all these false claims about the dodgy covid vaccines.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 12:10pm
saynta wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 11:29am

What rock do you live under FFS, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Absolutely proven beyond any doubt that the vaccine does not prevent transmission and all the government properganda about how we had to take the vaccine to protect the vulnerable was not deeply rooted in any credible scientific evidence. Talk about misinformation.

That has to be one of the biggest lies ever rolled out by governments and has largely been responsible for so many deaths because it lead people to falsely believe they had an invisible shield and engaged in risky behaviour such as mingling with the vulnerable in the community.

The families of the vaccinated elderly in aged care homes who have died have every right to sue over all these false claims about the dodgy covid vaccines.
You obviously don't know how to read and understand the english language. I said nothing about vaccines for f***'s sake. I said the restrictions were their to protect people like me from people like you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by saynta on Thu 10 Feb 2022 4:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 1:00pm
You obviously don't know hoe to read and understand the english language. I said nothing about vaccines for f***'s sake. I said the restrictions were their to protect people like me from people like you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You obviously can read but lack comprehension of basic concepts :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What you cant get through your hard skull is we shouldn't need restrictions because we were told by governments and their health officials that the vaccine would protect us, not these bloody life sapping restrictions.

The government lied to us and any halfwit would have told the government to go farg themselves if they had of been honest and asked upfront would we be willing to spend over 9 billion dollars on an experimental vaccine and still have all these restrictions. Who would sign up for that...no one with a brain.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 1:27pm
You obviously don't know hoe to read and understand the english language. I said nothing about vaccines for f***'s sake. I said the restrictions were their to protect people like me from people like you. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
You obviously can read but lack comprehension of basic concepts :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What you cant get through your hard skull is we shouldn't need restrictions because we were told by governments and their health officials that the vaccine would protect us, not these bloody life sapping restrictions.

The government lied to us and any halfwit would have told the government to go farg themselves if they had of been honest and asked upfront would we be willing to spend over 9 billion dollars on an experimental vaccine and still have all these restrictions. Who would sign up for that...no one with a brain.
Why are you so angry. Did your mummy the your toys away from you.

The restrictions are necessary in part because the vaccines are not a cure all. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 4:49pm

The restrictions are necessary in part because the vaccines are not a cure all. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cure nothing to be more accurate. Even the most vaccinated country is starting to admit the vaccine doesn't work.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/scie ... 9c925c5c0f

SaintJohno
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 6:05pm

Like I said earlier in this or other threads Saynta, I can't keep up, it's like talking to the drunkest bloke in the pub at the end of the night when they're completely sure of their position. You're never going to win mate, just get an uber and head home for nigh nighs. This will go on for ever if you keep responding.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohno wrote: Thu 10 Feb 2022 8:56pm

Like I said earlier in this or other threads Saynta, I can't keep up, it's like talking to the drunkest bloke in the pub at the end of the night when they're completely sure of their position. You're never going to win mate, just get an uber and head home for nigh nighs. This will go on for ever if you keep responding.
Jonno you sound real sharp, but I'm guessing if you know the type of bloke who is the drunkest in the pub at the end of the night then is it possible you are either the bar tender or the second drunkest bloke. Just be yourself bruvva and keep it simple.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This is a very well written article on the covid vaccines:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... cientific/

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Fox Footy and Eddie McGuire part ways and ex-Magpies president’s calling days

And thank the lord for that. Can't stand the prick.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dees or Blues.

Who are you going for?

Dislike both teams but absolutely detest the blues. So Dees for me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Great article on the salary rorting cheating Mothers, Carscum

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... c4f1faa302

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Regrets? I am sure that the saints have more than a few, but one I am sure we will live to regret is not signing Josh Green, Tom Green's younger but bigger brother in last years mid season draft. I pumped for him at the time.

GWS have him as one of their add on players.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nova Peris says she quit Michael Long’s foundation because of Bombers CEO Xavier Campbell

Former Olympian Nova Peris says she quit an organisation which advocates for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people after experiencing “utter disrespect” from the Bombers CEO.

Article in the herald sun

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Frees - 15 to Dopers ..... 23 to Brownbaggers

Absolutely no chance we are winning the free kick count next week

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Priority pick. Interesting,

"And Clarkson would, definitely, have people around him demanding that certain North people in current senior positions be removed to make way for people of either his own selection, or at least suggestion. That causes immediate complications on so many levels.

Clarkson churns through chief executive officers. At Hawthorn, he once put Ian Robson up against a wall, made it known to many he wasn't impressed with Tracey Gaudry and by the time the end came for him at Hawthorn late last season, he had had years of frostiness with Justin Reeves.

It would be fair to assume that Clarkson, before he may engage truly meaningfully in talk about a future with the Roos, would have people seek for a watertight commitment from the AFL that a priority NAB AFL Draft pick be granted."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Suck s*** Tigers.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 02 Sep 2022 11:37am Suck s*** Tigers.
Well said, hardknob will now have to wait until next year to bore us with his opinions.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

"The Demons won their opening 10 matches of the season, but then dropped eight of their final 14 games, including both games in September. Injuries did not help, but Christian Petracca still had 27 touches, including five clearances, despite a hairline fracture and corkie which had him hobbling through Friday night’s loss."

Only marginally better than the saints. But they did get to play finals.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The should have rested him and let Dunstan out of the box. The tradie tool box.