Dopers interested in Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dopers interested in Hind

Are you sure a few of those things aren’t hindsight calls??

I’ll give you Petracca
Every man and his dog knew that was a f*** up at the time

Richo got his contract extension after 11 & 12 win seasons and we were on an upward trend. Then went backward after the retirements of Roo and Joey and key injuries to Carlisle, Roberton, McCartin, Webster, Hickey, amongst others

McKenzie just came off a top ten in the B&F when he got a 3 year deal. It wouldn’t have been big dollars.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:14pm Are you sure a few of those things aren’t hindsight calls??

I’ll give you Petracca

Richo got his contract extension after 11 & 12 win seasons and we were on an upward trend. Then went backward after the retirements of Roo and Joey and key injuries to Carlisle, Roberton, McCartin, Webster, Hickey, amongst others

McKenzie just came off a top ten in the B&F when he got a 3 year deal. It wouldn’t have been big dollars.
The Richo one was frowned upon quite a bit at the time. People were wanting to wait to see how he did the following year. Its prominent in my mind because ironically, I was one of the few that thought it was a good idea - let him continue making decisions in the interest of the club without the pressure of having to make finals.

Really fluffed that one did I

Dmac you’re pbly right

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Tue 22 Jun 2021 10:19am
B.M wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:14pm Are you sure a few of those things aren’t hindsight calls??

I’ll give you Petracca

The Richo one was frowned upon quite a bit at the time. People were wanting to wait to see how he did the following year. Its prominent in my mind because ironically, I was one of the few that thought it was a good idea - let him continue making decisions in the interest of the club without the pressure of having to make finals.

Really fluffed that one did I

Dmac you’re pbly right
The Richo thing was done purely for the sake of stability. He'd gone ok but not shot the lights out. Jury was still out. But - one thing I learned through that period was how much power player managers had because if they got a whiff that the coaching position was shaky then, there's no way they'd contemplate letting their players move to that club. They crave certainty - even if it's not certain the coach is any good (one of the reasons why Carltoon are doing their review now in case they have to punt Teague and hence, it won't impact on their ability to attract players at season's end if a new coach is about to be installed).

DMac was puzzling. He was a bog average spare parts footballer - used sometimes in defence, sometimes wing - that was a pure role player. Cho loved his versatility; most couldn't work out how he got a game. I can't think of a player who's been less deserving of a 3 year extension ever. No knock on him as a person; just that his form / out put didn't warrant that.

I understood Kent at the time - he'd played some decent Senior footy at Melbourne and has a hard, tough body with a bit of pace which is something we didn't have a lot of. Sadly, he's not really worked out. I don't mind him as a player - he's limited but he works hard up the ground ... like a lot of our players he struggles to finish off his work in front of the sticks where it counts

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm quite sure that a million dollars over 3 years for Freeman would have ended with a huge NO vote.

The thing with DMac was his Top 10 B&F finish. A prime example of being seduced by a B&F result. I researched the B&F results for Josh Kelly, what makes his consistency all the more impressive was the quality of footballers finishing above him and behind him.

DMac did well for a season but if he was to be a consistent Top 10 finisher then the Club was in serious trouble.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Really really difficult to get over the stupidity of losing hind..then again we’re st kilda what more should I expect?

We’re a club run by a bunch of clowns

#1 Ryder fan