Dopers interested in Hind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: Dopers interested in Hind

ace wrote: Mon 02 Nov 2020 3:15pm
older saint wrote: Mon 02 Nov 2020 2:55pm As mentioned depends what is coming back. Players like this are handy in that they are depth for injuries (not in best 22) and also don't eat a lot of salary.
IF Ess were to offer overs then do the deal - money ball play - came in as a rookie goes out early third rounder ? that is a win.
Actually we used draft pick 54 in 2018 to get Hind.
ok so probably means value of small salary vs the pick offer then.

think he is handy and hopefully underlying resentment they passed him twice

SinCitySainter
Club Player

repta wrote: Mon 02 Nov 2020 2:10pm Hind has a lot of upside. Maybe depth at the moment but is developing nicely.

Time to move on Lonie and Kent. Both have had their opportunities and are limited
I don't disagree on Lonie necessarily. He is not a must keep player by any means and if we can get a decent trade for him fine.
He is however a fair way ahead of Hind in my opinion.
I completely agree on trying to get rid of Kent but I cannot see anyone taking him on.

Saints58
Club Player

fine if they won't Hind we should ask picks 7,8 and a first and second round next year.
Sounds like something Essendon would ask for ha.
I would trade him for a first round pick and maybe a second or third play hard ball with them, depends how bad they need the pace, I would say we are in the box seat. This year and use that in the Couch deal.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Hind is probably surplus to our needs- mature player who is inconsistent, and didn't see much of his speed and line-breaking this season as he didn't seem to be used in that role by Ratts. Should get a better chance elsewhere.

realdeal
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 02 Nov 2020 2:24pm
repta wrote: Mon 02 Nov 2020 2:10pm Hind has a lot of upside. Maybe depth at the moment but is developing nicely.

Time to move on Lonie and Kent. Both have had their opportunities and are limited
Agreed... I think Hind will be the best of the three

Lonie is being shopped around and Kent has a contract that I guarantee no one wants to take on (not because of money... rather the costs of a spot on the list).

Personally I think Hind will be the best of them
Handy to have around for a cameo but Lonie is heaps better.. but he also has the best trade value of the three.
Hind is 26yo now, i dont think he's going to suddenly improve a whole lot.
At his age he needs to look after himself and go get the longest contract he can.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Hind is a handy player, problem is he, Lonie, Parker, and Kent can't cement a regular spot in the side.
This will be compounded when we get Jack Higgins because he WILL cement a place in our best 22.
1 or 2 need to be traded out with Hind and Lonie the 2 that has some currency.
On the positive side, isn't it good we actually have a few players that are attracting interest from other clubs...haven't seen that for a long time.

silverhalo
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sun 01 Nov 2020 2:36pm Nick Hind has rare pace and breakaway speed......his game against Sydney this year was unbelievable and shows what he's capable of, just needs to do it consistently. I'd hate to let him go....
I made this comment late last year and now I just can't bear to watch an Essendon game any more.....just so f***** stupid to trade Hind out for next to nothing

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

silverhalo wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 6:12pm
silverhalo wrote: Sun 01 Nov 2020 2:36pm Nick Hind has rare pace and breakaway speed......his game against Sydney this year was unbelievable and shows what he's capable of, just needs to do it consistently. I'd hate to let him go....
I made this comment late last year and now I just can't bear to watch an Essendon game any more.....just so f***** stupid to trade Hind out for next to nothing
Is it because of DMack's silly contract extension?
We couldn't afford him?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 6:57pm
We couldn't afford him?
I'd seriously doubt that's the reason.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

We gave them the recruit of the year and brought in the dud of the year (McKernan).

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 7:20pm We gave them the recruit of the year and brought in the dud of the year (McKernan).
Straight swap...go Saints!!!

Surely Jono Marsh is having a better year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It is patently clear that we were playing him out of position. Half back flank where he can use his pace to break lines rather than a clever small fwd which is an extremely difficult position to master. But we seem obsessed with them at our club (small fwds that is) Just another blunder by Ratten.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lol

Freakin nailed it myself… well ahead of time

Then we have ppl here who believe Paddy McCartin will make it with the Swans, and Darragh ‘I can’t spoil from behind’ Joyce is the solution to the backline… and Lonie + Kent we’re def good and Hannebery will turn out to be a great trade etc etc

The lesson here is to make these types of judgment calls based off of objective, observable form

Far to often the fan base and I fear the coaches base opinions on personal preferences or they zero in on the information that suits their POV and neglect the whole picture

The club really should consider giving me a call to weigh in on these types of decisions before they commit. I am right far more often then I’m wrong

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Who knows who made the decision to move Hind on.
The football side of the club is run by David Rath, i'm wondering if he has a bigger say than the likes of Ratten.
Maybe there is conflict in that relationship.

Anyway, if you never play a player in his right position you'll never know his real potential and give up on him.
Ludicrous getting rid of Hind, in hindsight.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Geez his goal at pace from 50 on the run looked good today
Yep atrocious decisions
I fear we are about to do it again with Battle... coach insists he’s a winger....can’t seem to alter his view which is a real concern but keeps playing Lonie???
**** me

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

He got 18 kicks and 7 handballs.
He was let go far too easily.
Meanwhile, we kept Dmack

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 7:36pm It is patently clear that we were playing him out of position. Half back flank where he can use his pace to break lines rather than a clever small fwd which is an extremely difficult position to master. But we seem obsessed with them at our club (small fwds that is) Just another blunder by Ratten.
In hindsight yes not at the time thou

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He came to us as a HB

We tried to turn him into a small forward

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 11:06pm He came to us as a HB

We tried to turn him into a small forward
Yes, we lacked pace in the forward line. Lonie has none and cannot stick tackles. Butler was excellent last year and it appeared we were always getting Higgins. So they let Hind go, forgetting his best position is at HB. But we had McKenzie & Webster as extra HBs plus we are now using that position to get higher priced players into the game.

Forgive me for thinking that at times St Kilda appear to select their side according to the size of their pay packets.

axcellence
Club Player

Nobody in the supporters wanted him to leave. Just a stupid decision all around.

They should also do the recruiting using the big footy phantom board. Better chance of striking something good that way....

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:31am Nobody in the supporters wanted him to leave. Just a stupid decision all around.

They should also do the recruiting using the big footy phantom board. Better chance of striking something good that way....
Funny… I’ve been thinking along similar lines
The club needs an SS consensus perhaps a poll for some of these contentious decisions

Decisions the club would have made if they polled SS
Petracca over McCartin
No to Hannerbery
No to a Richo contract selection

Suppose that’s a very selective group of decisions but they’d have pbly made a world of difference even if we fluffed a few along the way
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 21 Jun 2021 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

You do gotta wonder at the “experts” our club employs sometimes
Just mind boggling the stuff ups we make and I’m concerned we have a coach whose doing it again re Battle who we ALL know played great footy at CHB....he can straight at it is tough but Ratten seems hell bent that he’s actually Kouta-like off a wing...
Bizarre

“Yeah….nah””
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 20 Jun 2021 6:57pm
We couldn't afford him?
That stupid extension to McKenzie was largely the reason we couldn't keep Savage. You could rope Hind into that. The simple thing is that we offered him a 1 year deal; Essendon offered two. As usual - we're awesome at releasing talent and not developing what we've got

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:45am
axcellence wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:31am Nobody in the supporters wanted him to leave. Just a stupid decision all around.

The club needs an SS consensus perhaps a poll for some of these contentious decisions

Petracca over McCartin
No to Hannerbery

Suppose that’s a very selective group of decisions but they’d have pbly made a world of difference even if we fluffed a few along the way
Add in a big fat no to a contract extension for McKenzie too.

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 3:19pm
skeptic wrote: Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:45am

Petracca over McCartin
No to Hannerbery

Add in a big fat no to a contract extension for McKenzie too.
Mmm… that was a big extension wasn’t it

I reckon the majority weren’t overly interested in Kent either now that I think about it