Feared and Revered

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Feared and Revered

My simple ask for 2023 is for us to be Feared and Revered

This can only happen if the On Field performances are subject to a Football First mentality

We need our players to Sweat RW&B and our Board to support them to the hilt - no matter the cost!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Feared and Revered

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 7:09pm My simple ask for 2023 is for us to be Feared and Revered

This can only happen if the On Field performances are subject to a Football First mentality

We need our players to Sweat RW&B and our Board to support them to the hilt - no matter the cost!!!
For this to become a reality would first require the administration to adopt a zero tolerance policy for mediocrity and drive a ruthless desire to win games of football.

This clearly hasn’t been there for the last decade. The extensions of Richo and Ratten are one such example.

Until the powers that be at the club make it priority number one to win games of football, we can’t expect to the players to bleed for the guernsey if the management don’t.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

All we need to do is get the Norwood coach and we are there!

Norwood Coach = Panacea 👍

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 1:27pm
For this to become a reality would first require the administration to adopt a zero tolerance policy for mediocrity and drive a ruthless desire to win games of football.

This clearly hasn’t been there for the last decade.
I do feel like there’s something to this…

Intermittently, I see instances where
- A Saints player is felled during a game and few remonstrate
- An 18yo draftee comes in and finishes top 5 in our fitness trials against grown professionals that have been doing it for years
- These will be great players when they reach peak fitness that never reach peak fitness

Nothing big but these little things add up

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 6:39pm
SydneySainter wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 1:27pm

This clearly hasn’t been there for the last decade.
I do feel like there’s something to this…

Intermittently, I see instances where
- A Saints player is felled during a game and few remonstrate
- An 18yo draftee comes in and finishes top 5 in our fitness trials against grown professionals that have been doing it for years
- These will be great players when they reach peak fitness that never reach peak fitness

Nothing big but these little things add up
Have a look left <--------------

Until ALL our players feel a loss like this we will not be Relevant

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure we have a team to be feared. Too many guys think they bring game, but crumble under pressure.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 10:16am “This might sound abrasive and Saints fans might get upset, but one of the things that I think when asked about how do I see St Kilda, I think the competition would say there’s been a degree of irrelevance.

“That should be abrasive. That should choke down people’s throats and I hope that going forward I can contribute to a profile that gives the Saints the due respect that they crave.”
Ha - Someone has been reading my comments and understand our Relevance in the competition

― Aristophanes

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 8:35pm I'm not sure we have a team to be feared. Too many guys think they bring game, but crumble under pressure.
We were feared in Round 9 this year.

In my down time I often watch Saints games

I watched one of our best wins for 2022 last night. It was this Round 9 game I speak of when we played the Cats

We had a few blokes who were epic in the way they made the opposition players stop in their tracks every time they were near the football.

We’d come off 2 losses in a row in Round 7 against Port in Cairns and then Round 8 we lost to Melbourne at the MCG.

In the first half Geelong were the better team and their forward entries were more efficient. Their centre clearances looked better and their ball use was generally cleaner. The commentators were constantly singing the praises of their structures and talking down the Saints

It was a Saturday twilight game at Marvel, so it was exclusively a Foxtel game. I thought I’d watch the game with the sound turned up (which is not what I usually do) because at least I knew I didn’t have to listen to BT, Luke Darcy or Ling on special comments. They had Anthony Hudson and Jonathan Brown with Jordan Lewis and Cam Mooney on the boundary.

In that first half, Steele, Crouch, Wood, DMac, Ryder, Marshall, Battle and Ben Long were fearless and up for the fight.

At half time the Cats were in front and easily the better team. In typical wanker commentators fashion, they highlighted a few good plays from Geelong and Mitch Duncan in particular and went totally negative on the work of Ben Long who was his direct opponent at times.

What they didn’t discuss was the absolute speed with which Ben Long chased down the Cats players in that first half. His kamikaze style and his ferocity was outstanding. Dan McKenzie was also playing a similar role, but it was Long who had better opportunities to impact and get body contact on opposition players when there was a loose football that had to be contested. He hurt them too. And…he did it fairly

Ben Long’s pressure was off the charts and he spoiled and he crashed into about 3-4 of their midfielders and their playmakers at various times in that first half and it had a huge impact in the way they went about their football in the second half. We beat the cats at stoppages after half time. Paddy Ryder had a brilliant game and it was a great team effort with Crouch, Gresham, Marshall, Zac Jones, Mason Wood, Jack Billings, Seb Ross and our defense all playing their roles.

It was the game that Higgins was subbed out early with Windy coming in and also Jack Steele did his shoulder but gallantly played on and contributed to our midfield rotations. Plus the fact, I think we had Gresham, Billings and DMac in the team all at the same time with nearly our best squad.

But I was wondering…did the way Long attacked each contest have an affect on the way the Cats played in that 3rd quarter? Of course it did

Unfortunately we’ll need others to step up if we are going to be up for the fight next year when we take on the best teams

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 8:41am
Vortex wrote: Wed 05 Oct 2022 10:16am “This might sound abrasive and Saints fans might get upset, but one of the things that I think when asked about how do I see St Kilda, I think the competition would say there’s been a degree of irrelevance.

“That should be abrasive. That should choke down people’s throats and I hope that going forward I can contribute to a profile that gives the Saints the due respect that they crave.”
Ha - Someone has been reading my comments and understand our Relevance in the competition
As soon as he mention the word irrelevance I knew straight away he had plagerised from your SS posts.

Still crickets from Mr Walsh on any meaningful detail on how we become relevant though.

I wonder if the first person he has to have a hard conversation with is the Prez and the awkward situation of claims he made in a certain letter last year. Seems to me the Prez might have strengths in the art of deflection.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Lucky we've got blokes like Ben Long who gives 110% every contests (more than can be said for many of his higher paid teammates) and makes the opposition earn it.

Oh wait...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 11:57am Lucky we've got blokes like Ben Long who gives 110% every contests (more than can be said for many of his higher paid teammates) and makes the opposition earn it.

Oh wait...
Only he's no good.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 12:35pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 11:57am Lucky we've got blokes like Ben Long who gives 110% every contests (more than can be said for many of his higher paid teammates) and makes the opposition earn it.

Oh wait...
Only he's no good.
On-brand comment.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 12:58pm

Oh wait...
Only he's no good.
On-brand comment.
I notice you only rate him after he left. Standard form.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Feared and Revered scratched due to excessive use of the whip.

Queensland police were certainly both in John's time, but.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 1:06pm

Oh wait...
Only he's no good.
On-brand comment.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103912&p=1945906&hilit=ben#p1945906

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104238&p=1954325&hilit=ben#p1954325

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104751&p=1969564&hilit=ben#p1969564

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104751&p=1970315&hilit=ben#p1970315

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 9:29am
Munga wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 8:35pm I'm not sure we have a team to be feared. Too many guys think they bring game, but crumble under pressure.

I watched one of our best wins for 2022 last night. It was this Round 9 game I speak of when we played the Cats

We had a few blokes who were epic in the way they made the opposition players stop in their tracks every time they were near the football.

We’d come off 2 losses in a row in Round 7 against Port in Cairns and then Round 8 we lost to Melbourne at the MCG.

In the first half Geelong were the better team and their forward entries were more efficient. Their centre clearances looked better and their ball use was generally cleaner. The commentators were constantly singing the praises of their structures and talking down the Saints

It was a Saturday twilight game at Marvel, so it was exclusively a Foxtel game. I thought I’d watch the game with the sound turned up (which is not what I usually do) because at least I knew I didn’t have to listen to BT, Luke Darcy or Ling on special comments. They had Anthony Hudson and Jonathan Brown with Jordan Lewis and Cam Mooney on the boundary.

In that first half, Steele, Crouch, Wood, DMac, Ryder, Marshall, Battle and Ben Long were fearless and up for the fight.

At half time the Cats were in front and easily the better team. In typical wanker commentators fashion, they highlighted a few good plays from Geelong and Mitch Duncan in particular and went totally negative on the work of Ben Long who was his direct opponent at times.

What they didn’t discuss was the absolute speed with which Ben Long chased down the Cats players in that first half. His kamikaze style and his ferocity was outstanding. Dan McKenzie was also playing a similar role, but it was Long who had better opportunities to impact and get body contact on opposition players when there was a loose football that had to be contested. He hurt them too. And…he did it fairly

Ben Long’s pressure was off the charts and he spoiled and he crashed into about 3-4 of their midfielders and their playmakers at various times in that first half and it had a huge impact in the way they went about their football in the second half. We beat the cats at stoppages after half time. Paddy Ryder had a brilliant game and it was a great team effort with Crouch, Gresham, Marshall, Zac Jones, Mason Wood, Jack Billings, Seb Ross and our defense all playing their roles.

It was the game that Higgins was subbed out early with Windy coming in and also Jack Steele did his shoulder but gallantly played on and contributed to our midfield rotations. Plus the fact, I think we had Gresham, Billings and DMac in the team all at the same time with nearly our best squad.

But I was wondering…did the way Long attacked each contest have an affect on the way the Cats played in that 3rd quarter? Of course it did

Unfortunately we’ll need others to step up if we are going to be up for the fight next year when we take on the best teams
I'm going to miss your Loooooooooooong posts. Yes, he did have a good 3rd Qtr Round 9 v the Cats, and no doubt helped the Saints get on top in that term. Was serviceable for the other quarters, although Mitch Duncan did create problems, often when he was Long's opponent. Longy didn't get in the best players anywhere did he?
Are you now going to watch the next match, round 10 vs the Crows? Long generated 1 kick, 3 handballs, couple of tackles for the match. Be interested in your report.

Therein lies the problem with Long, and is why the Saints only offered a measly contract for the next 2 years. Hope he can string together a few good games at GCS and maintain that standard. He didn't at the Saints.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I may live to eat these words but somehow I think that GC may not be the type of environment that will get the best out of Long.

For instance, GC had a talented player in Bowes who people are raving about but was languishing there. GC strategy seems confusing and a bit all over the place.

It sounds like a great opportunity for Long and while it might give him a short term hit, I don’t see it working out well for him in terms of football in the longer run. Leaving predominately for more money doesn’t always end well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 8:19am

I'm going to miss your Loooooooooooong posts. Yes, he did have a good 3rd Qtr Round 9 v the Cats, and no doubt helped the Saints get on top in that term. Was serviceable for the other quarters, although Mitch Duncan did create problems, often when he was Long's opponent. Longy didn't get in the best players anywhere did he?
Are you now going to watch the next match, round 10 vs the Crows? Long generated 1 kick, 3 handballs, couple of tackles for the match. Be interested in your report.

Therein lies the problem with Long, and is why the Saints only offered a measly contract for the next 2 years. Hope he can string together a few good games at GCS and maintain that standard. He didn't at the Saints.
The whole point of my post was to highlight that stats aren’t everything. In round 9 if you exclude Ben’s chasing, pressure acts, bumps, spoils, and tackles he only got 11 touches and only 3 were kicks. According to some other posters they’d call that a poor game.

They look at the stat sheet at the end of the game after having consumed 15 pints of beer and they conclude that Long was average.

That’s actually what happens! They then go onto the fan forum and bag our players who have performed their role. Duncan did a few good things. Big deal. Did you know how many of his kicks were from playing on after we scored a behind? Duncan was involved in a few scoring chains and some goal assists - yes! But…Long was involved in more scoring chains and more goal assists!! Did Mr Jordan Lewis point that out in the 3rd or fourth quarter? No he fkn didn’t!!

Then you have other posters who rely on the special comments guys on the t.v to tell them who played well, when most of the commentators also just look at a stat sheet at the end of the game.

By the way…did the coach drop Ben Long after the round 10 match. No he didn’t! He isn’t consuming gallons of piss like most of the fans who frequent fan forums. Long has never been a big possession getter so why would a coach even contemplate including him in the team based on his touches?

Ben Long was one of the most influential players on the ground for the winning team that day against Geelong. AND …that’s not for his touches in the second half…IT’S for what he did in the first half with his pressure and his ability to hurt the opposition with beautifully timed hip and shoulder bumps and his ferocious tackling.

Any football follower with any ounce of footy knowledge who was at the ground (without Jordan Lewis in his ear) would tell you that Long made the Cats players hear footsteps for the majority of the second half. They underestimated us, we played well as a team, and their mids were gun shy in the second half.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 10:31am

The whole point of my post was to highlight that stats aren’t everything. In round 9 if you exclude Ben’s chasing, pressure acts, bumps, spoils, and tackles he only got 11 touches and only 3 were kicks. According to some other posters they’d call that a poor game.

They look at the stat sheet at the end of the game after having consumed 15 pints of beer and they conclude that Long was average.

That’s actually what happens! They then go onto the fan forum and bag our players who have performed their role. Duncan did a few good things. Big deal. Did you know how many of his kicks were from playing on after we scored a behind? Duncan was involved in a few scoring chains and some goal assists - yes! But…Long was involved in more scoring chains and more goal assists!! Did Mr Jordan Lewis point that out in the 3rd or fourth quarter? No he fkn didn’t!!

Then you have other posters who rely on the special comments guys on the t.v to tell them who played well, when most of the commentators also just look at a stat sheet at the end of the game.

By the way…did the coach drop Ben Long after the round 10 match. No he didn’t! He isn’t consuming gallons of piss like most of the fans who frequent fan forums. Long has never been a big possession getter so why would a coach even contemplate including him in the team based on his touches?

Ben Long was one of the most influential players on the ground for the winning team that day against Geelong. AND …that’s not for his touches in the second half…IT’S for what he did in the first half with his pressure and his ability to hurt the opposition with beautifully timed hip and shoulder bumps and his ferocious tackling.

Any football follower with any ounce of footy knowledge who was at the ground (without Jordan Lewis in his ear) would tell you that Long made the Cats players hear footsteps for the majority of the second half. They underestimated us, we played well as a team, and their mids were gun shy in the second half.
As I said, Long was good in the 3rd and serviceable in the other Qtrs. I didn't say he was poor. Duncan was better though. Long one of the most influential players on the ground? Nope. Why wasn't he in the best players anywhere?

Saints won because they played better as a team in the 2nd half, after staying in it 1st half. Cats players hearing footsteps in the 2nd half? - rubbish. It's 2022, not 1980.

Long probably wasn't dropped after poor game vs Crows because weren't Butler & Higgins out injured? Also Steele out & others. Lucky for Ben. But he did get dropped a couple of rounds later. In the latter half of the season he was playing for a decent new contract. Didn't do enough consistently to earn it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yes, for some reason the thread was hijacked to promote Jesus Ben Long. Sneakily added to a list of players, before being singularly focused on. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

I tried to promulgate the myth of a player too…Jarragh Joyce..Confess.

Anyway, back to the main point.

Sweating R,W and B..Footy, winning at all costs etc.,
I think it’s gonna be a hard sell externally. We’ll see the Clarko/Fagan trial over the next six months ‘expose’ a lot of ‘win-at-all-costs’ mentality and the toll it takes on human individuals and their families. After the Adelaide ‘camp’ fiasco too, I think the clubs projection of mood - not just St Kilda’s - is gonna be very softly, softly.

Internally of course, you wonder how much of this is just ‘noise’ or whether it permeates the clubs mind set.
We know that we’ve lost plenty of games now, due to players stepping away, being rested for mental health, (even retiring mid contract)for a week or two.

But we’ve also seen they St Kilda has been ‘switched on’ and definitely ‘switched off’ on a week-by-week basis. Witness the Essendon game.

It is a mystery.

We’ve had our scandals over the years, and I suspect that St Kilda is not in the mood for another. When we see Adelaide, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Essendon, Collingwood, Bulldogs get a bad wrap in the press, I think the Saints enjoy a sigh of relief. We are also an unattractive club for players, and so I guess the shirt term consequences of turning the place into a swear shop ain’t gonna help…but I agree it just has to be done. Short term pain for long term gain.

But I don’t wanna see our best players leave and for us to go into rebuild. That said, when we got those young superstars under GT, it was a miracle.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Long had quarters where he showed he could be A grade. But, couldn’t do it consistently enough.

Maybe he was about to go to the next level or maybe we’ve already seen his best. Time will tell.

I still think (like the Cripps & Hickey deal) we got chump change for him.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 4:47am
CURLY wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 1:06pm

Oh wait...
Only he's no good.
On-brand comment.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103912&p=1945906&hilit=ben#p1945906

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104238&p=1954325&hilit=ben#p1954325

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104751&p=1969564&hilit=ben#p1969564

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=104751&p=1970315&hilit=ben#p1970315
👍

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 3:01pm Long had quarters where he showed he could be A grade. But, couldn’t do it consistently enough.

Maybe he was about to go to the next level or maybe we’ve already seen his best. Time will tell.

I still think (like the Cripps & Hickey deal) we got chump change for him.
They were probably trying their best to accommodate Ben.

They don’t seem ruthless enough.

It’s the St Kilda way.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

We have 1 premiership in 150 years. I’m afraid it’ll be a long row to hoe before we can become feared and revered.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 4:58pm We have 1 premiership in 150 years. I’m afraid it’ll be a long row to hoe before we can become feared and revered.
I dunno, I think they've given me PTSD

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi