White flag

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: White flag

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:33pm
bangaulegend wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 10:20pm
Rubyjo wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 9:59pm Need to do it ..need to show a nice humanistic side to our club ..people first . Tie up up loose ends and move on to 2023
Probably right but as Mc G said both are not legends & IMO their on field performances at St.Kilda have been mediocre at best but yeah whatever
Yeah but much loved team mates..need to farewell saints players and not just f*** them off as supporters want .. honour all players in a dead rubber .
Fair call I don't have a problem with it just saying Mc G had a point :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Still - better than ANY of us have done

And he’s very well liked at StK

No problem with getting him to 100 and a farewell game.

Shaggy
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 9:11pm What does it say for club culture, throwing in the white flag to Sydney, giving guys testimonial send offs for players that have basically given nothing to the club.

Don’t get me wrong. Not their fault they were picked, nor their fault they were not good enough or injured. But what are we actually perpetuating as a club basically giving up and throwing a couple of blokes a game? It’s not like they’re club champions. Again, not their fault but as a club this just shows a sense of defeat and ongoing mediocrity

Just my two cents
Hanners is in the side because he is best 22 even if is only playing at half pace. Kent is picked as medi sub to get him over the line for 100 games because he is capable and popular guy amongst the squad. He deserves it despite the hatred from Saintsational. As a general observation on Saintsational the most hated players are generally our small forwards which also happens to be the most difficult position. I suspect the people hating never played football at a decent level so simply do not understand.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:41pm Did Kent NEVER play a decent game of AFL footy?
You can't play 100 games of AFL if you are completely shite as some on here suggest. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hannebery has not played a full game this year. Selected for 2... hasn’t made it past the 3rd quarter yet

Kent is not retiring... he’s being delisted. Has played at Sandy since rd1 and not once has he pushed for selection. Absolutely nowhere near earning a spot based on form.

I get that he’s well liked at the club... that much is plain for all to see but what exactly are we celebrating here?

Why not give Joyce a fair well game? He’s been on the list for 7 odd years.
Bytel... sure, throw one his way... that’s been 4 years or something.

Where does this end if it’s not even close to merit?

We’re not talking about Geary or Ryder who have had excellent AFL careers...

It’s farcical to take a player like Kent, reward his poor form ahead of other players doing the work, lift him of the shoulders and parade him around and say... we know you’re maligned but thanks for trying.

That sends a really bad message about us as a club and what we’re willing to accept.

They’re laughing at us. And the fact that Kent is 1million times the footballer that I will ever be is not a valid point.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:12am Hannebery has not played a full game this year. Selected for 2... hasn’t made it past the 3rd quarter yet

Kent is not retiring... he’s being delisted. Has played at Sandy since rd1 and not once has he pushed for selection. Absolutely nowhere near earning a spot based on form.

I get that he’s well liked at the club... that much is plain for all to see but what exactly are we celebrating here?

It’s farcical to take a player like Kent, reward his poor form ahead of other players doing the work, lift him of the shoulders and parade him around and say... we know you’re maligned but thanks for trying.

That sends a really bad message about us as a club and what we’re willing to accept.

They’re laughing at us. And the fact that Kent is 1million times the footballer that I will ever be is not a valid point.
Just for you, Kent hater.

St Kilda forward Dean Kent has announced his retirement from the AFL, with Sunday's clash with Sydney to be his 100th and final game in the league.
https://www.zerohanger.com/st-kilda-for ... nt-126080/

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:16am
skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:12am Hannebery has not played a full game this year. Selected for 2... hasn’t made it past the 3rd quarter yet

St Kilda forward Dean Kent has announced his retirement from the AFL, with Sunday's clash with Sydney to be his 100th and final game in the league.
Are you seriously suggesting that he wasn’t pushed.

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:39am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him
You bang on about Kent so much i think you have to accept you hate him, only 1 more game and then he's gone.

I think you will find another to vent on, it may be your nature.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:42am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him
You bang on about Kent so much i think you have to accept you hate him, only 1 more game and then he's gone.

Prior to this week I haven’t posted about him for a while

And I’ve never attacked him personally. Never suggested he was a bad block, or disliked etc
Have only ever criticised his performance.

I didn’t start this thread either… just agreed with it

You seem to want to make things personal

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:47am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him

And I’ve never attacked him personally. Never suggested he was a bad block, or disliked etc

Just pointing out that when Kent's name comes up i've noticed you're one of the first to pot him, i understand bias is hard to contain, i also understand his retirement will end it.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:55pm
B.M wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 11:41pm Did Kent NEVER play a decent game of AFL footy?
You can't play 100 games of AFL if you are completely shite as some on here suggest. :roll:
Can you play 99?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:06am
Can you play 99?
if you get to 100 what do you think ? Maths not your strong point. :lol: :lol:

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:09am
Can you play 99?
What I meant to imply - we oughta have left him on 99 games. He's no champion and not even home-grown. I've no sentimental feeling for the bloke at all.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:13am
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:09am
Can you play 99?
What I meant to imply - we oughta have left him on 99 games. He's no champion and not even home-grown. I've no sentimental feeling for the bloke at all.
1 more week and he'll be gone, no sentiment required i would think.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:00am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him

Just pointing out that when Kent's name comes up i've noticed you're one of the first to pot him, i understand bias is hard to contain, i also understand his retirement will end it.
I’m not sure you do identify bias.

How about you point out what you don’t agree with.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:19am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him

Tiresome now isn't it.

I think this is the denial phase so i'm happy to leave it there.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:30am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him

Tiresome now isn't it.

Meh.

At least when I fire a shot... I fire a shot. The argument is made, the reasons are stood by. Heck at this point the evidence speaks for itself.

Course your happy to leave it there. It’s comfortable on the fence. Nice and safe. Don’t want to leave yourself open.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Rubyjo wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 9:59pm Need to do it ..need to show a nice humanistic side to our club ..people first . Tie up up loose ends and move on to 2023
You having a lend here or what?
This is the AFL, not the little league.

Everyone should have to earn a game every week by performance.

Checks notes……Kent does bugger all at Sandringham and is gifted a game.

Pretty embarrassing and an indictment on the standards at the club.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

You having a lend here or what?
This is the AFL, not the little league.

Everyone should have to earn a game every week by performance.

Checks notes……Kent does bugger all at Sandringham and is gifted a game.

Pretty embarrassing and an indictment on the standards at the club.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 2:08am
Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 1:30am

And I don’t hate Kent…
I just don’t rate him

Tiresome now isn't it.

Meh.

At least when I fire a shot... I fire a shot. The argument is made, the reasons are stood by. Heck at this point the evidence speaks for itself.

Course your happy to leave it there. It’s comfortable on the fence. Nice and safe. Don’t want to leave yourself open.
How can i continue to debate with someone who has displayed his hatred for Dean Kent since round 1 and then continually denies it. it's pointless, nothing to do with fences. Re read your posts.
Meh.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Selection integrity is important for culture at a football club, and sadly I believe St Kilda has compromised it's integrity quite frequently this year.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 2:39am Selection integrity is important for culture at a football club, and sadly I believe St Kilda has compromised it's integrity quite frequently this year.
I think last year more than this year

SaintDippa
Club Player

Quietly. Why do we want to play finals? Fluke a win first week, get smashed the second and receive a top 6 draw in 2023?
Season is what is was. Give the players a send off, win and 9th great or lose and finish 10/11 then reload for next year.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we'll end up with a top six draw anyway - just you watch.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Another example of hard edge lacking.