Club Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Club Review

st.byron wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 3:19pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 1:10pm
st.byron wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 12:57pm If they were genuinely hard headedly serious about a review, then take Lethlean and Bassatt off it. The same people steering the ship are now reviewing how the ship is sailing.
How do you know they won't be included in the review, can you email me a copy of the terms or reference for the review?
They're sitting on the review committee. Like members of the government sitting on enquiries into potential wrongdoing on the government's behalf. Ridiculous and set up to ensure any sharp edges are taken off for the people who should be facing sharp edges, Lethlean in particular. Bassatt's statement banged on about how serious they are and how they've engaged external people to review the list. Nothing about having their own performances objectively reviewed. Whole organisation is a shambles.
A few weeks ago, I rang the club to give them my Visa details for a direct debit that had bounced.
I told Billie in Membership to take me off the 2023 renewal.
I gave her several reasons, such as King being petulant and being a hopeless kick;
Butler, Higgins and Hill being the new Weller/Newnes in getting gifted games;
Signing Hannas+Hill on enormous money;
And the final straw, being 8-3 at the bye and folding like a deck chair under the Injectors.
Billie told me she's a member too, understood my frustration, but hoped 2023 would turn it around and give me a reason to rejoin.
I told her we're doomed and will never be top 4 in my lifetime.
Our destiny is to get flogged by bottom teams, get reamed by umps/MRO (see collisions by Cripps, Doggies player, and Crouch)

The club is a joke

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Sanctorum
Club Player

Does anyone really believe that sacking the coach is the answer or even part of it?

I think that Bassat and board members would really hesitate to sack Brett Ratten and replace him with some unknown quantity that's had no senior coaching position, expect that would once again make St Kilda a laughing stock in the footy world. There is not a single unemployed senior AFL coach waiting for a phone call, nor do any of the budding prospects including Scott Burns, Daniel Giansacura, Adam Yze, Adam Kingsley, Nigel Lappin, Blake Caracella, Todd Viney and others regarded as standouts. Coaching St Kilda is a tough enough gig for even a seasoned coach let alone a rookie!

As for Alastair Clarkson, I feel sure his management was approached and been declined well before Ratten was offered another 2 years. Besides, as a past and proud shinboner (93 games) Clarko was always more likely to go back to North.

I'm encouraged by the determination evidenced by Bassat that the forthcoming review will be quite brutal, from what Nick Riewoldt said last night (and love or loathe him, he's still very closely connected to the inner sanctum at Moorabbin) there is every indication that they've said "enough is enough" and drawn a firm line in the sand. As far as I can tell, the full list of those undertaking the review is still a work in progress, so it's far too soon to throw hands in the air and yell "it's gonna be another sham to pacify the baying fans"!

Simon Lethlean has naturally every right to be involved in this review, as incoming CEO. Yes, he's been the face of the process that brought Hanneberry and Hill into the squad. I won't engage in the debate about the rights and and wrongs here, suffice to say that these were not solely his decisions, he had to be the one to reveal this to the media (aka Attack Dogs filled with BS) so cops all the s*** that's been directed at the club by hundreds of so-called loyal Sainters.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Sanctorum
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 5:40pm
A few weeks ago, I rang the club to give them my Visa details for a direct debit that had bounced.
I told Billie in Membership to take me off the 2023 renewal.
I gave her several reasons, such as King being petulant and being a hopeless kick;
Butler, Higgins and Hill being the new Weller/Newnes in getting gifted games;
Signing Hannas+Hill on enormous money;
And the final straw, being 8-3 at the bye and folding like a deck chair under the Injectors.
Billie told me she's a member too, understood my frustration, but hoped 2023 would turn it around and give me a reason to rejoin.
I told her we're doomed and will never be top 4 in my lifetime.
Our destiny is to get flogged by bottom teams, get reamed by umps/MRO (see collisions by Cripps, Doggies player, and Crouch)

The club is a joke
Calls to St Kilda membership are usually answered by loyal Saints volunteering their time to the club, doubt that will get through to the senior managers or the board....still, getting that off your chest would have made you feel happy and gave you a great sense of relief :lol:

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lol. They’re not the Salvos.

I think the marketing and membership department employ salaried staff these days.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:19am Lol. They’re not the Salvos.
anymore in debt then they may well be.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
freely
SS Hall of Fame

I hope they manage to figure out why our player development is so poor. How many players come in great and go backwards. Max, anyone? McCartin even. I mean - wtf?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:28am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 20 Aug 2022 12:19am Lol. They’re not the Salvos.
anymore in debt then they may well be.
Salvos do ok.

I was referring to the unpaid staff who run their outlets.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 19 Aug 2022 6:04pm Does anyone really believe that sacking the coach is the answer or even part of it?

I think that Bassat and board members would really hesitate to sack Brett Ratten and replace him with some unknown quantity that's had no senior coaching position, expect that would once again make St Kilda a laughing stock in the footy world. There is not a single unemployed senior AFL coach waiting for a phone call, nor do any of the budding prospects including Scott Burns, Daniel Giansacura, Adam Yze, Adam Kingsley, Nigel Lappin, Blake Caracella, Todd Viney and others regarded as standouts. Coaching St Kilda is a tough enough gig for even a seasoned coach let alone a rookie!

As for Alastair Clarkson, I feel sure his management was approached and been declined well before Ratten was offered another 2 years. Besides, as a past and proud shinboner (93 games) Clarko was always more likely to go back to North.

I'm encouraged by the determination evidenced by Bassat that the forthcoming review will be quite brutal, from what Nick Riewoldt said last night (and love or loathe him, he's still very closely connected to the inner sanctum at Moorabbin) there is every indication that they've said "enough is enough" and drawn a firm line in the sand. As far as I can tell, the full list of those undertaking the review is still a work in progress, so it's far too soon to throw hands in the air and yell "it's gonna be another sham to pacify the baying fans"!

Simon Lethlean has naturally every right to be involved in this review, as incoming CEO. Yes, he's been the face of the process that brought Hanneberry and Hill into the squad. I won't engage in the debate about the rights and and wrongs here, suffice to say that these were not solely his decisions, he had to be the one to reveal this to the media (aka Attack Dogs filled with BS) so cops all the s*** that's been directed at the club by hundreds of so-called loyal Sainters.
As usual, a sensible post.

Saints58
Club Player

I was at the club sponsored day for members today.
Had a great chat to Andrew Bassett he is really switched on and will do all he can to get us up the ladder.
It was a great day with players and board members mingling with the footy members I really feel we have a chance with this current board and committee they know we are not there yet but are working at it.
so hang tough and lets keep upbeat for 23 if I can after 47 years a saint well we all can the club and all saints need us.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Relocate to Tassie I reckon. I’m done with this club

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 12:58pm Relocate to Tassie I reckon. I’m done with this club
Okay, then don't let the door hit you where god split you. :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 12:39am I was at the club sponsored day for members today.
Had a great chat to Andrew Bassett he is really switched on and will do all he can to get us up the ladder.
It was a great day with players and board members mingling with the footy members I really feel we have a chance with this current board and committee they know we are not there yet but are working at it.
so hang tough and lets keep upbeat for 23 if I can after 47 years a saint well we all can the club and all saints need us.
It’s great to hear that and I genuinely like the optimism
I’m also sure Bassett isn’t silly and is a smart operator
But running a footy club ain’t exactly the same as running a commercial business….lots similar but lots not too
I’m also more or less sick of the words “he spoke really well” or “he really wants success like we all do”
Again, that’s great but I’ve learnt over time listening to corporate CEO spin doctors that the actions are what you judge on
An external review - tick, step in right direction
Putting Lethlean on it?? - cross …..his performance needs to be reviewed….Dracula in charge of the blood bank??
Then there is Bassett himself…..nice he called for a review but what the **** has he as Prez been doing putting out emails telling members our “windows open?”
Don’t give me the “he has to sell memberships” dribble because selling like that is a race to the bottom once members realise the emperor has no clothes
IF Bassett and the Board have been just gullibly accepting the footy department view of where we are then they too need to be questioned (my gut feel is Bassett has woken up that Lethlean and footy Dept might not have their finger in the pulse like they indicated they do…..Bassett now knows this and has finally decided (for his own fate too) that enough is enough
The Clarkson situation and the genuine lack of any real attempt to engage and bring him to St Kilda is another good example of Board vs Football Dept disconnect
For the simpletons out there (big shout to Vort here) it’s less about Clarkson as a messiah cia h and more about what he as the best modern coach going round as a package brings to the club - a game plan (yay finally), sponsors, members, top assistants (who want to play under him) and yep, gun FA players who come cause they see a vis h who has success/history of excellence (Malcolm Blight was Shyte at Saints……but gee we dined off his rep and that was good for the footy club with player acquisitions etc over multiple years after he’d gone..)
Point is we’ve dropped the ball
The Board and Bassett are complicit in that
I’ll watch the “external” review closely but judge in actions
IF, as an example only, Lade and co keep their jobs, if no new head of footy who knows footy and can challenge those in the footy Dept is brought in, then this review is more Corp spin
Actions /outcomes will tell you plenty about Bassett

“Yeah….nah””
Saints58
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 3:13pm
Saints58 wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 12:39am I was at the club sponsored day for members today.
It’s great to hear that and I genuinely like the optimism
I’m also sure Bassett isn’t silly and is a smart operator
But running a footy club ain’t exactly the same as running a commercial business….lots similar but lots not too
I’m also more or less sick of the words “he spoke really well” or “he really wants success like we all do”
Again, that’s great but I’ve learnt over time listening to corporate CEO spin doctors that the actions are what you judge on
An external review - tick, step in right direction
Putting Lethlean on it?? - cross …..his performance needs to be reviewed….Dracula in charge of the blood bank??
Then there is Bassett himself…..nice he called for a review but what the **** has he as Prez been doing putting out emails telling members our “windows open?”
Don’t give me the “he has to sell memberships” dribble because selling like that is a race to the bottom once members realise the emperor has no clothes
IF Bassett and the Board have been just gullibly accepting the footy department view of where we are then they too need to be questioned (my gut feel is Bassett has woken up that Lethlean and footy Dept might not have their finger in the pulse like they indicated they do…..Bassett now knows this and has finally decided (for his own fate too) that enough is enough
The Clarkson situation and the genuine lack of any real attempt to engage and bring him to St Kilda is another good example of Board vs Football Dept disconnect
For the simpletons out there (big shout to Vort here) it’s less about Clarkson as a messiah cia h and more about what he as the best modern coach going round as a package brings to the club - a game plan (yay finally), sponsors, members, top assistants (who want to play under him) and yep, gun FA players who come cause they see a vis h who has success/history of excellence (Malcolm Blight was Shyte at Saints……but gee we dined off his rep and that was good for the footy club with player acquisitions etc over multiple years after he’d gone..)
Point is we’ve dropped the ball
The Board and Bassett are complicit in that
I’ll watch the “external” review closely but judge in actions
IF, as an example only, Lade and co keep their jobs, if no new head of footy who knows footy and can challenge those in the footy Dept is brought in, then this review is more Corp spin
Actions /outcomes will tell you plenty about Bassett

You make some very good points actions do speak louder the words as a long suffering saint over 50 years I have herd it all before but I am trying to stay positive at least there is a review.
And what you said about the board has woken up to the footy department I think that is right.
Thanks for you impute that's what this forum is about getting the intelligent incites from supports on where the club is at what how to fix it I hope the club reads some of these threads some great comments on it.