Core

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Core

We don’t have a core to build around in our current list

The core we will need to build out should be around the likes of king, windy, owens, nvm etc

Feel like our players reaching their prime just aren’t good enough for a proper tilt so you may as well go hard in the draft and get the best kids you can for a few years

This team is Miles off

#1 Ryder fan
Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Core

Clark, Coffield , Paton, Sharman, Higgins, Howard, Battle
added to that list

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Before R1 I felt we could make finals if everything went right for us, 7th or 8th maybe if we had an incredible amount of luck with injuries and whilst our injury list isn't massive, I felt even if we lost one key player like a Paddy we were going to struggle. Essentially I felt our list was not only short of much depth, I felt it is a mentally unstable list.

We over achieved before the bye aided by a very favourable draw, we also had a few senior players having career best years such as DMac, Seb and Wood and then we had some immediate impact from some debutants in Windy and NWM. These thing things were never gong to be sustainable especially expecting the debutants to be capable of delivering for a full season.

Well we clearly didn't get that incredible amount of luck and here we are. I also felt at the start of the season we were about 6 to 8 players short and after a loss like last night I tend to feel we are 10 to 8 short. All the whack jobs who want to go down the path of suggesting Ratts is the issue can go their hardest but they are just proving they know bugger all about football. The last missing piece of the puzzle is talent and class and nothing else and we possibly need 2, maybe 3 really successful years of recruitment. And therein lies the challenge to building on this small core we have. If we muck recruitment up then we will be back to a full rebuild by 2024.
Last edited by Vortex on Sun 07 Aug 2022 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Can a vote of no confidence be motioned at the AGM?

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 10:04am Before R1 I felt we could make finals if everything went right for us, 7th or 8th maybe if we had an incredible amount of luck with injuries and whilst our injury list isn't massive, I felt even if we lost one key player like a Paddy we were going to struggle. Essentially I felt our list was not only short of much depth, I felt it is a mentally unstable list.

We over achieved before the bye aided by a very favourable draw, we also had a few senior players having career best years such as DMac, Seb and Wood and then we had some immediate impact from some debutants in Windy and NWM. These thing things were never gong to be sustainable especially expecting the debutants to be capable of delivering for a full season.

Well we clearly didn't get that incredible amount of luck and here we are. I also felt at the start of the season we were about 6 to 8 players short and after a loss like last night I tend to feel we are 10 to 8 short. All the whack jobs who want to go down the path of suggesting Ratts is the issue can go their hardest but they are just proving they know bugger all about football. The last missing piece of the puzzle is talent and class and nothing else and we possibly need 2, maybe 3 really successful years of recruitment. And therein lies the challenge to building on this small core we have. If we muck recruitment up then we will be back to a full rebuild by 2024.
Lol just need more talent and better luck?
What tripe ….pure cliched rubbish
To pretend this list who have slid from 8-3 to 17/18 in league in key stats completely lacks the talent to even be competitive is delusional rubbish - and you think you know football???
Sure we need to add players with skill (we thought Hill was that but we are making him look woeful)
Facts are we have zero system - a dysfunctional ability to transition the ball from defence and a forward line that’s lost. Actually it’s “hot potato” with the ball in hand cause our players don’t have a repeatable game style to fall back on
That’s coaching and you can keep sticking your head up your own Vortex all day long but it won’t change that
Brett ain’t the man

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:13am
Vortex wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 10:04am Before R1 I felt we could make finals if everything went right for us, 7th or 8th maybe if we had an incredible amount of luck with injuries and whilst our injury list isn't massive, I felt even if we lost one key player like a Paddy we were going to struggle. Essentially I felt our list was not only short of much depth, I felt it is a mentally unstable list.

Lol just need more talent and better luck?
What tripe ….pure cliched rubbish
To pretend this list who have slid from 8-3 to 17/18 in league in key stats completely lacks the talent to even be competitive is delusional rubbish - and you think you know football???
Sure we need to add players with skill (we thought Hill was that but we are making him look woeful)
Facts are we have zero system - a dysfunctional ability to transition the ball from defence and a forward line that’s lost. Actually it’s “hot potato” with the ball in hand cause our players don’t have a repeatable game style to fall back on
That’s coaching and you can keep sticking your head up your own Vortex all day long but it won’t change that
Brett ain’t the man
Ratts might not be the man, but to think he's the only problem and should be capable of turning a pigs ear into a silk purse just proves you have a head like one of those bobble heads on the dash of an Uber. Shouldn't you be down on your box outside Flinders Street Station.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I thought the op had seen something exciting and worth sharing like with the JLH thread in the general forum

As in when 2 blokes would go cor :shock: 8-) …check that out!

Or ‘cor blimey’ did you see that!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

If it's a rebuild we need then they can take an eternity, The Saints have been rebuilding since our last Grand Final coach bolted across the Nullabor for more pay and to a list that was in good shape.

If it's the coach, then it's 2 more years of it. Even if the coach is part of the issue, it's the list that needs the biggest overhaul and not with Shaun McKernan or James Frawley type recruits.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:51am

The core we will need to build out should be around the likes of king, windy, owens, nvm etc

Core? Look I hope they will all become guns. But right here and now not one is, and so that group cannot be designated a core to build a team around.

The harsh reality is that every team normally gets in several talented young players virtually every year.

We look to have done it this year, but we simply fail to do it year in year out.

We as fans are exited in achieving it this year, but one year is not enough. We are excited because it is unusual for us to draft in good young talent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Banger9798
SS Life Member

No need for a total rebuild

Still going round in 3-4 years All 26 or under (ok Sinclair is 27)

B. Paton. Howard. Wilkie

HB. Coffield. Battle. Sinclair

C. Clark. Windhager. NWM

HF. Higgins. King. Owens

FF. Butler. Sharman. Long

R. Marshall, Steele, Gresham

IC. Bytel, DMac, Connolly, Hayes

Add to that. DeGoey and Taranto?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Stay competitive while restumping

We CANNOT afford to bottom out for 3 years with no guarantee of success - draft is still a gamble if you put all your eggs into it! It does however guarantee a world of hurt for three seasons and I’m not sure the club has the ability to go through that sort of thing again!!!

Keep building the list with the 3 mechanisms available
Trading
Drafting (National and Rookie)
Free Agency

I think the current senior core cannot win it
But they can keep the side competitive whilst the younger core develop - King, Battle, Clark, Coffield, Paton, Owen, Windhager, Heath, Byrnes, Bytel

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 1:06am
MC Gusto wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 7:51am

Core? Look I hope they will all become guns. But right here and now not one is, and so that group cannot be designated a core to build a team around.

The harsh reality is that every team normally gets in several talented young players virtually every year.

We look to have done it this year, but we simply fail to do it year in year out.

We as fans are exited in achieving it this year, but one year is not enough. We are excited because it is unusual for us to draft in good young talent.
Bang on. Windy and NWM could end up being GOPs..We won't know for another 2 or 3 years but because they were able to come into the team and have immediate impact they got us excited and and as you rightly point out, the reason we got excited is because it rarely happens at our club.

And the finer point is its all relative, we judge our own players against our own poor reference point, which is our own club. We need to be judging our players against those in the top four sides.

But hey a coach can turn a pigs ear into a silk purse apparently.

Our recruiting department needs to be the best department in the club. That and the development department.

We need to invest heavily in a factory and therin lies the challenge, we are a poor club.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:12pm If it's a rebuild we need then they can take an eternity, The Saints have been rebuilding since our last Grand Final coach bolted across the Nullabor for more pay and to a list that was in good shape.

If it's the coach, then it's 2 more years of it. Even if the coach is part of the issue, it's the list that needs the biggest overhaul and not with Shaun McKernan or James Frawley type recruits.
God almighty, I'd nearly erased those two from my memory....

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:31am I thought the op had seen something exciting and worth sharing like with the JLH thread in the general forum

As in when 2 blokes would go cor :shock: 8-) …check that out!

Or ‘cor blimey’ did you see that!
Yeah mate but you missed the best bit "cor blimey did ya see the norges on that" :wink:

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:38pm
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 07 Aug 2022 11:12pm If it's a rebuild we need then they can take an eternity, The Saints have been rebuilding since our last Grand Final coach bolted across the Nullabor for more pay and to a list that was in good shape.

God almighty, I'd nearly erased those two from my memory....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?