Cal Twomey Oct phantom draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Cal Twomey Oct phantom draft

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685788/cal- ... er-ranking

Windhanger and Owens at 29 and 30..

Few interesting players around 11.

#1 Ryder fan
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cal Twomey Oct phantom draft

Lets hope Twomey is right, as the others (Hun) have Owens going to Melbourne in the first round.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Fortunately, it's all speculation until the draft actually happens, then we will know who went at what pick, who traded picks up, down or into next years draft or who traded
picks from next years draft back into the 2021 draft. Almost a month of speculating to go before the event happens, there's still a lot of permutations to create and discuss in the meantime.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why are we the only club who seem to not be able to pick up its academy players in the draft?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 27 Oct 2021 11:44pm Why are we the only club who seem to not be able to pick up its academy players in the draft?
Rule change this year no NGA can be match before pick 20

Banger9798
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Wed 27 Oct 2021 11:44pm Why are we the only club who seem to not be able to pick up its academy players in the draft?
Because we are cursed
They'll probably reverse it next year

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne will miss getting Mac Andrew this year as he will be in the Top 20.

St Kilda more likely than not will pick up both our first two ranked NGA players.

If you mean Biggy last year, we clearly did not rate him better than a rookie pick up, and his exposed form to date at the Tigers confirms that ranking.

Note also that Tom Highmore was a GWS Academy player that neither they or any other club picked up at the time.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 9:55am

St Kilda more likely than not will pick up both our first two ranked NGA players.

If you mean Biggy last year we clearly did not rate him better than a rookie pick up, and his exposed form to date at the Tigers confirms that ranking.
I think the AFL have got this very wrong and its a really unbalanced manner to wind back the NGA selections. Particularly after a number of clubs like Melbourne and us have never had access to top 20 players. The AFL is all about creating an even playing field - well this is far from an equitable decision, that has benefited a few clubs only.

If I was the St Kilda FC Chairman or CEO I would be canvassing the other effected clubs and taking a coordinated case the the AFL. Ask them to allow all clubs access to top 20 players until each club has had the chance to bid on a player in the top 20. Its all too late but if the AFL denied the changes, there would be a strong case to take it before the Equal Opportunity laws.

You can garuantee if Collingwood or one of the other major clubs were to miss out this year, they would be putting pressure on the AFL.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 10:08am

If you mean Biggy last year we clearly did not rate him better than a rookie pick up, and his exposed form to date at the Tigers confirms that ranking.
I think the AFL have got this very wrong and its a really unbalanced manner to wind back the NGA selections. Particularly after a number of clubs like Melbourne and us have never had access to top 20 players. The AFL is all about creating an even playing field - well this is far from an equitable decision, that has benefited a few clubs only.

If I was the St Kilda FC Chairman or CEO I would be canvassing the other effected clubs and taking a coordinated case the the AFL. Ask them to allow all clubs access to top 20 players until each club has had the chance to bid on a player in the top 20. Its all too late but if the AFL denied the changes, there would be a strong case to take it before the Equal Opportunity laws.

You can garuantee if Collingwood or one of the other major clubs were to miss out this year, they would be putting pressure on the AFL.
Love or hate him, GT wouldn't let this slip without a fight.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 10:08am

Wouldn't have happened if Collingwood had a player in the upcoming draft. The AFL have a habit of manipulating rules to suit some clubs.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I think that we will get them both but I wouldn't be overly worried if we don't. Windhanger is already broken. Not saying he wont come good but he already has a back injury and the severity of it is unknown at present. If he requires surgery like Bytel then there goes his pre season and unlikely to play next year so that makes him slide out of top 20 in my opinion. Mitch Owens has only surged into calculations mainly due to one game. A very impressive game but still just one plus on paper there are better midfielders than him in the top 20 and not every team will draft a mid.
Ideally we get them both in the thirties as well and a player with pace. I am liking Wanganeen-Milera and he will be right around our pick. Wingman and a great kick which we need. i.e. no more long bombs as the first option please

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This guy Wanganeen-Milera; does he put his head over the footy like Gavin did or does he go sideways at the footy like Terry did sometimes?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 12:52pm This guy Wanganeen-Milera; does he put his head over the footy like Gavin did or does he go sideways at the footy like Terry did sometimes?
He is Terry's step son and Gavin's nephew. From what I have seen of his state games he plays a bit like a right footed version of Isaac Smith. A rangy smooth moving wingman, who reads the play really well and has exceptional skills. If were are confident Windhager & Owens will get through to us, he would compliment our list well.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 28 Oct 2021 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You would think with the lack of ruck depth at the club that the Saints select Mac Andrew with their 1st selection

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 1:05pm You would think with the lack of ruck depth at the club that the Saints select Mac Andrew with their 1st selection
Mac Andrew is very unlikely to be there are pick 11

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 1:05pm You would think with the lack of ruck depth at the club that the Saints select Mac Andrew with their 1st selection
I doubt he will be still there at our pick - most have him rated as a top 10 pick. He projects more as a tall forward / 2nd ruck option, so I imagine if the club knows Ben King is coming next year they will look at midfielders. But if he does slide through, he would be definitely worth strong consideration.

I expect they will sign up Tom Campbell as a delisted free agent for next year and maybe revisit the Tristan Xerri trade next year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I thought we had pick 9?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

So we might end up with 3 of the top 30. Wonder if that will shut King and Barrett up about not knowing what’s going on at St Kilda. 3 more good kids and then it’s time to get Bing next year. Seems like a bullet proof plan to me

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 2:43pm I thought we had pick 9?
Will become pick 11 due to academy/FS picks.

Personally I will throw up if we use our first rounder on a ruck

Here’s why...

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103425

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote: Thu 28 Oct 2021 2:59pm So we might end up with 3 of the top 30. Wonder if that will shut King and Barrett up about not knowing what’s going on at St Kilda. 3 more good kids and then it’s time to get Bing next year. Seems like a bullet proof plan to me
Apparently not ....... according to one failed past coach/administrator ....... we are in crisis!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!