Billings-

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Billings-

This is a real concern IMO.

I've been pretty hard on him on here over the past few weeks.

Called him soft and scared at one point. Probably the lowest of the low kinda insult.

But seriously, he is letting us down week after week.

His goal kicking is a liability and there is no other way to describe it. One goal, three behinds on the weekend. I would say that two of the misses were really 85+% gettable. The one he kicked was probably the hardest of the day. Perhaps he didn't have to think.

1 goal, 3 behinds vs Giants
0 goals, 2 behinds vs Geelong.
Nothing vs Adelaide.
Nothing vs Norf.
2 goals, 3 behinds vs Lions

Is he playing out of position? I don't think so because I don't think he's hard enough to really go anywhere else.

He gets enough touches to be really, really damaging. Averages around the 20 mark give or take.

This goal kicking is rather bulltish.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Billings-

He's out of form and down on confidence.

Still needs to work harder and improve his hard ball gets.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

He’s definitely a confidence player and relies heavily on team confidence

If we carry our form to the hawthorn match I reckon he’ll bag a few.

#1 Ryder fan
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

As a small forward he is not delivering. I honestly feel we need to permanently move him up the field to a wing and put a small forward that will actually hit the scoreboard.
He is 100% in our best team but wasted in the forward line as his disposals are not hurting the opposition.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:As a small forward he is not delivering. I honestly feel we need to permanently move him up the field to a wing and put a small forward that will actually hit the scoreboard.
He is 100% in our best team but wasted in the forward line as his disposals are not hurting the opposition.
Hear Hear

He is a distributor who can jag the occasional brilliant goal if he is not forced to think about it and question himself - should be playing on instinct and letting those with better compsure take the set shots. It almost looks like he is searching for a better option whenever he is asked to take a shot at goal.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

All good. 1 BOG and JB will be A grade material again.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The miss from 35 out was mind boggling! Has to be all in his head.

#1 Ryder fan
barneyboyz
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:The miss from 35 out was mind boggling! Has to be all in his head.
Paddy was the same early, then got a bit of confidence. That goal from the fifty was one of the best connects with a football I have seen in a while :D

Most of these blokes are very good to excellent footballers that have been in a slump, especially the ones around the same age bracket

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. I feel like that goal paddy pumped through from 55 will go a long way to curing any yips he bad. It was a beauty

#1 Ryder fan
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Billings has had more than enough purple patches to prove he can play at an A level.

He’s finding the footy enough, but his kicking his woefully bad atm.

I not only think Billings is a confidence player at a personal level, but at a team level also.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So lets let his numbers get in the way.

69 games
Averages 20 disposals over his career. So he really can get the ball.

53 goals 77 behinds. That is just under 41%

Paddy is actally going at 50% after 27 games.
Bruce is going around at 64% after 91 games.
membrey is going at 68% after 53 games.
Gresham is going at 55% after 45 games.
Weller is going at 46% after 108 games.

Gawd our forwards are quite terrible.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St. Paul
Club Player

Play him on the wing/midfield, or even as the distributor, Goddard style off halfback. We need that type desperately. He's an excellent field kick, the best tested in his draft. He's shown enough in his career to suggest he's potential A grade material. Let him loose across half back, AR! Pretty handy having him, Coffield and Carlisle back across there. Throw in White and suddenly our defence looks like a bit of a weapon.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:So lets let his numbers get in the way.

69 games

Membreys and Bruces % stacks up ok against similar players. It is the others that are way below par.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saint6709
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:The miss from 35 out was mind boggling! Has to be all in his head.
They ( Saint kilda players - not just Billings) always seem to run too close to the man on the mark - I don't get that - but you can see them doing it all the time - they always seem to forget he has gone back 2-3 steps from the mark and will come forward - No idea what Dixon is doing

The other thing i cant work out why they do it is the length and speed ( with variable tempos) of some of the run ups to shoot for goal - surely they just need to walk a few steps and shoot - i think Acres does that pretty well

Milne
Club Player

Billings is a confidence player. We've seen how well he plays when he's confident and fired up. Think we should all get behind the lad rather than deriding him.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Milne wrote:Billings is a confidence player. We've seen how well he plays when he's confident and fired up. Think we should all get behind the lad rather than deriding him.
This

Always loyal
longtimesaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
bigred wrote:So lets let his numbers get in the way.

69 games

Membreys and Bruces % stacks up ok against similar players. It is the others that are way below par.
Membrey at 68% is very good as even Tony Lockett was at low 70%’s and he was one of the best kicks for goal ever

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

53.77 is not a great return.
Seems to be a mental thing.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

barneyboyz wrote:
Paddy was the same early, then got a bit of confidence. That goal from the fifty was one of the best connects with a football I have seen in a while :D

Most of these blokes are very good to excellent footballers that have been in a slump, especially the ones around the same age bracket
That goal was a reminder of Tony Lockett

The Barometer
Club Player

St. Paul wrote:Play him on the wing/midfield, or even as the distributor, Goddard style off halfback. We need that type desperately. He's an excellent field kick, the best tested in his draft. He's shown enough in his career to suggest he's potential A grade material. Let him loose across half back, AR! Pretty handy having him, Coffield and Carlisle back across there. Throw in White and suddenly our defence looks like a bit of a weapon.
Have been pondering this as well. Iirc didn’t a young Dal play halfback at the back end of 03 and carve it up with his disposal. Can’t remember if he could actually defend though which might be Billings prblem as well.

scallopsroe
Club Player

saint6709 wrote:
They ( Saint kilda players - not just Billings) always seem to run too close to the man on the mark - I don't get that - but you can see them doing it all the time - they always seem to forget he has gone back 2-3 steps from the mark and will come forward - No idea what Dixon is doing

The other thing i cant work out why they do it is the length and speed ( with variable tempos) of some of the run ups to shoot for goal - surely they just need to walk a few steps and shoot - i think Acres does that pretty well
You are on the money, Billings set shot in the first quarter (?) he clearly got too close to the man on the mark. Most Saints players are guilty of this from their set shots.

St. Paul
Club Player

The Barometer wrote:
St. Paul wrote:Play him on the wing/midfield, or even as the distributor, Goddard style off halfback. We need that type desperately. He's an excellent field kick, the best tested in his draft. He's shown enough in his career to suggest he's potential A grade material. Let him loose across half back, AR! Pretty handy having him, Coffield and Carlisle back across there. Throw in White and suddenly our defence looks like a bit of a weapon.
Have been pondering this as well. Iirc didn’t a young Dal play halfback at the back end of 03 and carve it up with his disposal. Can’t remember if he could actually defend though which might be Billings prblem as well.
He did, TB. A well known tactic both in terms of a player's education and to break the shackles. Dal also spent time in defence under RL. Remember BJ struggling for several years to establish himself? Finally found his niche as the quarterback type, switching through the midfield. Turned him into a champion. Billings is good overhead, a beautiful field kick (gets him away from the goals for a while so he can recover some confidence), moves well and could really hurt the opposition with that left peg.

As a measure of his talent, he is one of the few left footers I've seen who is proficient and confident on his right foot. Time for some imagination, AR. Don't tell me he can't tackle because he does this as well, although it appears to be an attitude issue with him. When he's on, he is aggressive enough and can rack up tackle numbers. When he's off, he wouldn't pull the skin off a bowl of custard. Surely that's in his head. A bit like his goalkicking at present. Over to you, coaches.

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
spert
Saintsational Legend

Needs a run in the backline for a while- might just work out.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:He's out of form and down on confidence.

Still needs to work harder and improve his hard ball gets.
Glad you mentioned balls. The kid needs to man up and improve his mental toughness. Not enough to just practice the physical side of things when it's between the ears that is the problem (you have to get a bit of aggro and a bit of swagger about you JB - that's code for grow a set!! ). Take responsibility, take ownership of the issue with whatever solutions are out there ( or within your mind) and fix it

Or ...take some hard medicine ( 2-3 spoonfuls of cement - that's code for 2-3 weeks in the magoos).