Battle signs two year extension

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Battle signs two year extension

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-20/s ... -two-years

"ST KILDA has rewarded second-year forward Josh Battle for an encouraging start to his AFL career with a two-year contract extension.

AFL.com.au understands the 19-year-old put pen to paper recently on a deal that will tie him to Moorabbin until the end of the 2020 season.

Battle's signature comes off the back of the Saints re-signing prized 2017 first-round picks Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield this week."

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Battle signs two year extension

Makes sense. We never delist after 2 years regardless.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

He is playing so well they gave him a two year extension.
Playing so well they are keeping at Sandringham.
Accurate kick for goal.
What a pity our forward line is playing so well and kicking for goal with deadly accuracy.
Otherwise he would have been called into the seniors.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Good news but like the 2 C's it is not like he would say no. If only he wasn't so accurate he could play seniors

saynta
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote:Good news but like the 2 C's it is not like he would say no. If only he wasn't so accurate he could play seniors
:D :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

DJ Higgins wrote:Good news but like the 2 C's it is not like he would say no. If only he wasn't so accurate he could play seniors
he needs to embrace 'Saints footy' which is kick badly, don't lead, and just behave like a 10 y.o.kid with no idea

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Great news. Let’s hope his accuracy is infectious ...

Always loyal
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Another quality re-signing of young and emerging talent by the Saints. Great work this week and the past few years in this regard.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
St. Paul
Club Player

Now all they need to do is give him a few games!

"For when I am powerless, then I am strong."
stonecold
SS Life Member

Another positive post Drake, kids showing faith in the Club, yet some supporters refuse to?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
Another positive post Drake, kids showing faith in the Club, yet some supporters refuse to?????
Don't worry about looking up "cynicism" in the good old Macquarie dictionary....just visit this forum and read a few posts from certain members for a better definition.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
So a few first and second years draftees extend their contract and it’s a declaration that the kids are on board?

I’ll wait till the core of Acres, Billings, Gresham, Membrey and co resign/extend before declaring that the playing group has “faith” in the club.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
elizabethr
Club Player

Will Battle ever get his chance in a bottom 3 club lineup?

nothing to say
St Lenny
Club Player

I don't understand why we are extending contracts for players who have only played 1 and 2 games?. Doesn't matter how good they look, they are far from proven. Does this not bother any one except me?

congorozides
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:I don't understand why we are extending contracts for players who have only played 1 and 2 games?. Doesn't matter how good they look, they are far from proven. Does this not bother any one except me?
Certainly the sign of a club under strain looking for positive messages to sell the fans.

Probably an acknowledgement that we are back in year 1 of the re-build.

The public message is 'have faith in the kids'. Again.

What they wont directly admit publicly is the last 5 years of the re-build have failed - but this new burst of signatures is somewhat of a tacit admission.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good. Why isn’t he playing today?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:Good. Why isn’t he playing today?
He was going to play if Membrey didn't pull up well after Thursday's training.

oh when the
Club Player

My son says if good players play in the reserves long enough they become good reserves players.

We need to get good amounts of continuous senior games into players like Battle.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:
So a few first and second years draftees extend their contract and it’s a declaration that the kids are on board?

I’ll wait till the core of Acres, Billings, Gresham, Membrey and co resign/extend before declaring that the playing group has “faith” in the club.
Agree.

If we lose a couple of that lot it’s back to square one again.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

St Lenny wrote:I don't understand why we are extending contracts for players who have only played 1 and 2 games?. Doesn't matter how good they look, they are far from proven. Does this not bother any one except me?
Exactly!

Clark, Coffield and Battle combined have played 5 games in total, yet we’ve already extended their contracts.

Whilst all players look promising, Clark & Coffield have barely been with the club for six months and Battle has only just started his second year, so far has played 1 game and yet to be selected in a forward line that has so far been failing dismally this season.

Remember how much of an exciting prospect Lewis Pierce looked two seasons ago?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Vazelos
Club Player

Your obviously hedging your bets there a little but think of the potential $$ number to resign the boys after 30 to 40 games as opposed to now so not too bothered there is no risk with these 3 they all look like they will be in the system to the end of 2020 anyway.
Battle will take a position if not this year I think for sure next year.
Bruce for mine is anyone's guess where he will be.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Pretty comon in AFL circles to sign up young talent these days early in the piece. E.g. Freo extended the contracts of their 2 x top 5 picks before Christmas. Also remember we signed Acres to a 5 year contract a couple of years back.

The club is interacting with these boys from Day 1. Pretty sure they have a good idea already of as to who is more likely to make the grade or not in a good way. That is how impressive the three obviously are (Coffield, Clark and Coffield) even though they haven't played alot of senior footy yet which is normal. IMO, its a very good sign as to the ability of these kids.

And yes. The yougsters are all on board. We have re-signed a ton of our younger players the past couple of years. Who has left or wanted to leave the past 5 years? No one.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Agree.

If we lose a couple of that lot it’s back to square one again.
Stonecold,

mate I don't know how to explain this to you, I am not Drake.
most clubs extend rookies early nowadays, its not big news, its expected. Why would a rookie that has changed his life so much in 6 months not sign on for 2 more years and get some job security and remove a lot of pressure. PLus other posters are right, the kids look good now but I am all about the second year blues. Our club is renowned for it.
My post was more about Battle not getting game time in the seniors when we have no forward line to speak of and he can actually kick straight? What is the worst that could happen apart from injuries? We lose by 60, Think of the future and get games into the young guys if they are ready to play

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Your obviously hedging your bets there a little but think of the potential $$ number to resign the boys after 30 to 40 games as opposed to now so not too bothered there is no risk with these 3 they all look like they will be in the system to the end of 2020 anyway.
Battle will take a position if not this year I think for sure next year.
Bruce for mine is anyone's guess where he will be.
Fullback next year or trade him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Well Richo(the worst performing coach in the AFL after 5 years) had his contract extended.