Do we Do Goey?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we Do Goey?????

A record of lying and DD, all for a lazy 600k/yr. plus draft picks (which apparently are just a temptation to roll dice and should be cast aside, hallelujah). He would certainly get a kick or two. Leaders group material possibly. I am guessing from certain contributions De Goey wasn't thrust into the AFL as pick #5 in 2014 draft by the Pies as reported in fake news, so where was he traded from, or was he just beamed into the Pies list. And despite having an appalling record at picking horses in the birdcage I for one think Clark (no E) and Coffield (one goal) will be stars. Sure draft is no guarantee but ask Melbourne about the cost/benefit ratio with Lever. Also lets ask player agents about planted unattributed suggestions "other" clubs are interested in their man. Just fake news. Not like the two C-men!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Those who are living in some draft fantasy where all early picks (particularly those picked by Saints recruiters) turns to football gold, make me shake my head in dispair. Here we have a young man who would walk into our team and straight away be in our top 2 players. He could play for the next 8-10 years. No, we should roll the dice at the draft like Sydney and Hawthorn and the Cats try to avoid. Because it's so much more romantic to draft a fresh faced 18 yr old and see him become a champion before our eyes. Why grab a ready made young player??

Who says Clarke and Coffield are going to become stars? They might but who knows? Blind freddy can see Degoey's talent. We all thought that Billings was going to be a star. He still might but at the same age, I will take the bigger, stronger, more consistently skilled Degoey every day of the week.

Have we learnt nothing from the McCartin debacle. The draft is no guarantee. Proven players are. Trade your early picks for the Mitchells and O'Mearas and get up the ladder
Get what you're saying BUT if as has been said now for 12 months this is a super draft aka Riewoldt era and we trade out to take DeGoey hose dicey off field at best... I'd be pissed
Offer them a player (Stevens....let's face it.... by the time we are serious he'll be 42).... keep the pick build for future forget 2018/19 dribble talk

“Yeah….nah””
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote:A record of lying and DD, all for a lazy 600k/yr. plus draft picks (which apparently are just a temptation to roll dice and should be cast aside, hallelujah). He would certainly get a kick or two. Leaders group material possibly. I am guessing from certain contributions De Goey wasn't thrust into the AFL as pick #5 in 2014 draft by the Pies as reported in fake news, so where was he traded from, or was he just beamed into the Pies list. And despite having an appalling record at picking horses in the birdcage I for one think Clark (no E) and Coffield (one goal) will be stars. Sure draft is no guarantee but ask Melbourne about the cost/benefit ratio with Lever. Also lets ask player agents about planted unattributed suggestions "other" clubs are interested in their man. Just fake news. Not like the two C-men!
You miss my point Yorky. Yes the pies grabbed Degoey at pick #5. I'm not saying that you can't get good young players at the draft. Of course you can. I'm saying it's a raffle. Even at the pointy end. The odds move in your favour but it's still a raffle. It's why I said look at McCartin and Billings. They will both play AFL, injury permitting, for at least another 5 years. But I'm prepared to say now, that neither player will become the player we were hoping for when we drafted them. Billings will be good, but not a great player. McCartin I'm not even sure of that.

I read with interest what Clarkson says about the draft. It's the whole theory behind the 'Moneyball' Swans have been doing it for yearsand haven't bottomed out. So have hawks, so have Cats. Look at the best player on our list currently (Carlisle).

I'm sick of being disappointed at the draft. I say if we can find good young talent who are prepared to come to our club - get them for whatever we can. We simply need good footballers at our club. I'm not keen on old blokes like Sloan. Personally if we got gaff and Degoey I wouldn't care if we didn't have a pick at the draft this year. I would comforted by the fact that we had two very good footballers ready to walk into our team and make us better.

I'm as hopeful as anyone re Clarke and Coffield (Coffield especially) but youngsters can stall in development for whatever reason as we have seen.

Lever is a good example. I would say that you don't pay overs for a half back flanker/third tall back man. Having said that Lever is playing with no confidence and is the exception, not the rule.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St. Paul wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:He is not worth a 1st round pick. No way. 2nd round yes.
We haven't got one of those. I really can't see how we could manage given our current drafting position. We won't give up a first rounder for him, especially if it stays in the top 5 or so. We all know that Colonwood is only second to the dopers in overrating their players and being difficult to deal with. I'd love to get him, but something will have to change drastically for that to happen.

De Goey worth a top ten pick if his form continues this season.

Hard to lure a young player on 600k and then say he isn't worth a decent pick at the trade table.

People seem to overrate draft picks - they are hit and miss even in the top ten, they take years to mature - De Goey is a proven performer and ready now. Worth it and there's absolutely no conversation just a 2nd rounder.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I'd prefer DeGoey to Sloane and if he wants to come to us then you invest your first round pick. It is a lower risk option than taking a kid, you know precisely what you're getting. I couldn't believe people were concerned when we traded our 1st pick for Carlisle, it was an absolute no brainer.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

How can you say that? He was 1st round pick 4 years ago and you believe that his value has diminished in that time? He's still young and has proven he can play. What on earth has changed that makes you think he's now worth a 2nd rounder? His off field stuff? We tidied up Carlisle (it appears) we can tidy up Degoey as well.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Moods wrote:Those who are living in some draft fantasy where all early picks (particularly those picked by Saints recruiters) turns to football gold, make me shake my head in dispair. Here we have a young man who would walk into our team and straight away be in our top 2 players. He could play for the next 8-10 years. No, we should roll the dice at the draft like Sydney and Hawthorn and the Cats try to avoid. Because it's so much more romantic to draft a fresh faced 18 yr old and see him become a champion before our eyes. Why grab a ready made young player??

Who says Clarke and Coffield are going to become stars? They might but who knows? Blind freddy can see Degoey's talent. We all thought that Billings was going to be a star. He still might but at the same age, I will take the bigger, stronger, more consistently skilled Degoey every day of the week.

Have we learnt nothing from the McCartin debacle. The draft is no guarantee. Proven players are. Trade your early picks for the Mitchells and O'Mearas and get up the ladder
Get what you're saying BUT if as has been said now for 12 months this is a super draft aka Riewoldt era and we trade out to take DeGoey hose dicey off field at best... I'd be pissed
Offer them a player (Stevens....let's face it.... by the time we are serious he'll be 42).... keep the pick build for future forget 2018/19 dribble talk
Future pick...done, and we keep 'superdraft'. Besides, I think Collingwood are one of the few teams with holes in their list we have surplus players to fill...maybe parcel with lower picks.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
How can you say that? He was 1st round pick 4 years ago and you believe that his value has diminished in that time? He's still young and has proven he can play. What on earth has changed that makes you think he's now worth a 2nd rounder? His off field stuff? We tidied up Carlisle (it appears) we can tidy up Degoey as well.
+1 There's no way in hell he's worth a second rounder...what was he, pick #5 four years ago, now he's developed and a proven game breaker the Pies are gonna trade him for a packet of chips? Fantasy.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

It depends on where we finish. Is he worth pick 3? pick 4? pick 5? in a potential superdraft. I would say no way in hell. The kid can play but is trouble and could be a bad influence on others players at the club and he will not be cheap. If we had a later first round draft pick then maybe but not top 5, plus he has a hammy issue. Imagine if he became Freeman v2

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:In what is being touted as one of the strongest drafts on record we are going to have a top 4 pick. I would hate to trade that away when in theory we should be adding to the building blocks of Clark & Coffield

I can’t see us magically rocketing up the ladder in 2019 so next years first draft pick should also be off limits - butte club may entertain a Carlisle type deal eg Saints 2019 first rounder in return for De Goey and 2019 2nd rounder from Collingwoods
Being realistic (i.e. Pies would want a 1st rounder for Do Goey) - I'd trade our 2018 1st rounder (likely to be 4, 5, or at best 6) for De Goey and Pies 2nd rounder. That way - we still get a good pick in a deep draft + De Goey and hopefully, land our much desired outside mid (preferably Gaff) as a FA

Go you red, black & white warriors
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote:
Zed wrote:In what is being touted as one of the strongest drafts on record we are going to have a top 4 pick. I would hate to trade that away when in theory we should be adding to the building blocks of Clark & Coffield

I can’t see us magically rocketing up the ladder in 2019 so next years first draft pick should also be off limits - butte club may entertain a Carlisle type deal eg Saints 2019 first rounder in return for De Goey and 2019 2nd rounder from Collingwoods
Being realistic (i.e. Pies would want a 1st rounder for Do Goey) - I'd trade our 2018 1st rounder (likely to be 4, 5, or at best 6) for De Goey and Pies 2nd rounder. That way - we still get a good pick in a deep draft + De Goey and hopefully, land our much desired outside mid (preferably Gaff) as a FA
I would take that. De Goey is ready made. We have drafted a ton of top 20 picks the last 5-6 years. We have enough in the system now, especially after last year. A 2nd rounder coming back to us would be good too. It would be in the 20's somwhere.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
Moods wrote:
+1 There's no way in hell he's worth a second rounder...what was he, pick #5 four years ago, now he's developed and a proven game breaker the Pies are gonna trade him for a packet of chips? Fantasy.
You misunderstood. He's not worth a 1st round pick alone I should clarify. We need something back in return like a 2nd rounder otherwise its not a good deal. De Goey is good to go, but sorry, he is no superstar at the moment and has proven to be erratic off field.

In any case. I'm glad the Saints are being aggressive and showing intent. My mail also is that we were the Vic side that offered the McGovern a massive deal.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Fri 20 Apr 2018 1:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Saintly66
Club Player

Wouldn’t mind de goey, can play and we need another mongrel apart from Carlisle.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
degruch wrote:
Moods wrote:
You misunderstood. He's not worth a 1st round pick alone I should clarify. We need something back in return like a 2nd rounder otherwise its not a good deal. De Goey is good to go, but sorry, he is no superstar at the moment and has proven to be erratic off field.

In any case. I'm glad the Saints are being aggressive and showing intent. My mail also is that we were the Vic side that offered the McGovern a massive deal.

Look, obviously the best deal we can get is a bonus. If we could squeeze a 2nd rounder out of the pies that would be awesome. Personally I definitely think he is worth a 1st rounder alone. He has shown me enough that he will be more of a game breaker than pretty much anyone in that draft bar The Bont.

I don't buy into the 'superdraft' hype. The thing with kids, no-one really knows. I'd rather go with the proven product.

I aggree with you in that I'm glad the Saints are chasing players hard.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

If we give up her 1st rounder we could be missing out on the next Stephenson or Coffield or Clark so a bit to ponder.

But I reckon we have enough kids in the system now. We have heaps actually. De Goey fits the age bracket we require.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Look, obviously the best deal we can get is a bonus. If we could squeeze a 2nd rounder out of the pies that would be awesome. Personally I definitely think he is worth a 1st rounder alone. He has shown me enough that he will be more of a game breaker than pretty much anyone in that draft bar The Bont.
do you mean petracca? 2014 draft.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stonecold
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:
Moods wrote: Look, obviously the best deal we can get is a bonus. If we could squeeze a 2nd rounder out of the pies that would be awesome. Personally I definitely think he is worth a 1st rounder alone. He has shown me enough that he will be more of a game breaker than pretty much anyone in that draft bar The Bont.
No, cause the tractor is not a game breaker!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No thanks!
No dickheads !
Otherwise may as well have gone for Stringer!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Just my own opinion obviously. I rate Petracca, but I rate Degoey higher. Maybe I overate Degoey. Just everything I see about him smacks of superstar. I personally think that there's no way in the world the pies will part with him unless they have huge slaray cap pressure ands can't afford him.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Just my own opinion obviously. I rate Petracca, but I rate Degoey higher. Maybe I overate Degoey. Just everything I see about him smacks of superstar. I personally think that there's no way in the world the pies will part with him unless they have huge slaray cap pressure ands can't afford him.
I don't disagree - was a poor draft and De Goey could well be the best from it. Out of him, Petracca, Heeney, and Lever.
Unfortunately can't think of another more than decent player from it. Will cost us a first rounder or a player we can't afford to part with, so I can't see us getting him unless it's our 2019 pick. But as you said - the Pies won't want him gone.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Absolutely good footballer.
Rate him highly.
Doesn't fall over. Strong. Beautiful kick. Tough.
Quite similar to Billings in general.

Not really top of our needs list.
Because we are over-run with class in our midfield? :roll:

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:
Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

I don't disagree - was a poor draft and De Goey could well be the best from it. Out of him, Petracca, Heeney, and Lever.
Unfortunately can't think of another more than decent player from it. Will cost us a first rounder or a player we can't afford to part with, so I can't see us getting him unless it's our 2019 pick. But as you said - the Pies won't want him gone.
Different drafts.

Our 3 picks - Dunstan, Billings and Acres are better footballers than De Goey from that draft. Plus they can be trusted to do the right thing off field. De Goey can play, no doubt about it and he may go A grade but the more I read about him...he seems like a real disrespectful wanker. Wouldn't be suprised that Buckley will be happy to get rid of him at season's end.

De Goey averages 17 touches and under 1 goal from his 50 games. Nothing special just yet

Moods
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Different drafts.

Our 3 picks - Dunstan, Billings and Acres are better footballers than De Goey from that draft.
Disagree

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

You may be right about him, he has the air of a confident mongrel, they generally turn out to be very good players. Do we really worry about a drink driving incident and some young bloke's argy bargy in a Bar?

Similar reasons for our passing on Dustin Martin, we had him if we wanted him! There's a risk, but its slight. If we want him and he wants us, then its going to cost a first rounder and we shouldn't blow it by getting cute.

portosaint
Club Player

Moods wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Moods wrote:
stonecold wrote:
desertsaint wrote:

Different drafts.

Our 3 picks - Dunstan, Billings and Acres are better footballers than De Goey from that draft.
Disagree
I think Acres will be a better player, but would have De Goey ahead of Dunstan and Billings. Especially if we went on the clubs needs