Ins and Outs compared to Round 23

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Ins and Outs compared to Round 23

fugazi wrote:Long is quick, Dunstan is slow

We have Armo and Stevens as our big slow mids...better off some pace .
Dunstan can play, Long still not sure.

Dunstan is also better than Stevens IMO.

1ac46a38
stonecold
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:
stonecold wrote:
realdeal wrote:Longer again.. geeez.. im looking forward to a Gawn like breakout..
Anyone who truly knows ruckwork (the skill of), understands that neither Hickledik or Marshall have done enough to take the spot away from Billy!!!!!

Those in the know keep picking him, those not in the know, still don't, simple really!!!!!
Is there a bloke in this year's draft called Longest as we already have Long and Longer?
Let's hope so!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Is Hickey now the Saints 3rd ruck behind the Sherrif Marshall?

It would seem so given The Prospect got a gig as an emergency. If Billy struggles at the last minute then Marshall will be in as the 1st ruck on Sat arvo.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:Is Hickey now the Saints 3rd ruck behind the Sherrif Marshall?

It would seem so given The Prospect got a gig as an emergency. If Billy struggles at the last minute then Marshall will be in as the 1st ruck on Sat arvo.
What do you mean 'now'?????

Keep telling people, the game has gone past Hickledik!!!!!

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:Is Hickey now the Saints 3rd ruck behind the Sherrif Marshall?

Maybe. Really hoping the Shertif turns into a gun ruck that can also play forward.

You use alot of ! and ? In your posts SC. :D

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
stonecold
SS Life Member

parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Maybe. Really hoping the Shertif turns into a gun ruck that can also play forward.

Have done for years, it's my Mantra, not intended to offend, just my quirky mantra, nothing more, nothing less!!!!!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

stonecold wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Have done for years, it's my Mantra, not intended to offend, just my quirky mantra, nothing more, nothing less!!!!!
Nothing wrong with your mantra Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bit of theatre is always good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What I don't get is your love for Billy 'one man short' Longer???????????????????

Lets break this topic down a bit...

He doesn't take marks.
He doesn't provide another on ball option (notice how his team mates don't trust him to give the ball to).
He doesn't provide a goal kicking threat up forward.
He doesn't provide relief in defence.
He doesn't clear a path at stoppages for our on ballers.
He doesn't scrap on the ground and fire out a handball or even a helpful knock-on.
He doesn't kick particularly well (on the few occasions that he gets the footy).

And I really don't think anyone can dispute any of these points.

So that leaves pointing to the scoreboard (a big tick there :D ), and ruck work.

Sure, Billy competes in the ruck. But he doesn't actually win very many taps. :idea:
Though that's irrelevant, because he always taps blindly. (Please, watch him closely.) So any tap that Bill gets, well, to whose advantage that tap ends up being... is a lottery.
Even when unopposed in the ruck, I have never seen Billy actually direct a tap out.
:idea:

All of this is somewhat balanced out when the opposition ruckman is also a slow lumbering type. But, when the opposition ruckman is mobile (think Biltzards sp?, Ryder, etc) it really really really hurts us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I'm very fearful of what Stefan Martin will do to us when we play the Teddy Bears.

I therefore stick to what I've posted before. For the above reasons, overall, our team would be better off with anyone else on the list playing in the ruck. And yes, that includes Lonie!

(And I think that end of 2016, when no other club was interested in taking Billy, despite many needing another ruckman... shows that the other 17 clubs think more or less along my lines re Billy too. :idea: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: ↑Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
DJ Higgins
Club Player

You lost me at lonie

stonecold
SS Life Member

No worries Dave, entitled to your opinion mate, you would be surprised how closely I watch big Bill's games, anyway, agree with some of your points (young ruck with areas to work on), however think you need reassess some, let's judge him down the track a little as he is still developing, Billy is very highly valued by the club, coaching staff and playing group, so that's all that matters at this point, others will catch up!!!!!

All the best, thanks for your opinions!!!!!

realdeal
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
stonecold wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Nothing wrong with your mantra Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bit of theatre is always good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

What I don't get is your love for Billy 'one man short' Longer???????????????????

Lets break this topic down a bit...

He doesn't take marks.
He doesn't provide another on ball option (notice how his team mates don't trust him to give the ball to).
He doesn't provide a goal kicking threat up forward.
He doesn't provide relief in defence.
He doesn't clear a path at stoppages for our on ballers.
He doesn't scrap on the ground and fire out a handball or even a helpful knock-on.
He doesn't kick particularly well (on the few occasions that he gets the footy).

And I really don't think anyone can dispute any of these points.

So that leaves pointing to the scoreboard (a big tick there :D ), and ruck work.

Sure, Billy competes in the ruck. But he doesn't actually win very many taps. :idea:
Though that's irrelevant, because he always taps blindly. (Please, watch him closely.) So any tap that Bill gets, well, to whose advantage that tap ends up being... is a lottery.
Even when unopposed in the ruck, I have never seen Billy actually direct a tap out.
:idea:

All of this is somewhat balanced out when the opposition ruckman is also a slow lumbering type. But, when the opposition ruckman is mobile (think Biltzards sp?, Ryder, etc) it really really really hurts us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I'm very fearful of what Stefan Martin will do to us when we play the Teddy Bears.

I therefore stick to what I've posted before. For the above reasons, overall, our team would be better off with anyone else on the list playing in the ruck. And yes, that includes Lonie!

(And I think that end of 2016, when no other club was interested in taking Billy, despite many needing another ruckman... shows that the other 17 clubs think more or less along my lines re Billy too. :idea: )
He's good at falling over and mis-timing centre bounce jumps..

realdeal
Club Player

I actually think the biggest issue is regardless of who you think should be playing 1st ruck, be it Longer , Hickey or bloody Michael Rix. No player has put the argument to rest and its now 3 years later and we're still having the same conversations..... surely thats the biggest issue.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

realdeal wrote:I actually think the biggest issue is regardless of who you think should be playing 1st ruck, be it Longer , Hickey or bloody Michael Rix. No player has put the argument to rest and its now 3 years later and we're still having the same conversations..... surely thats the biggest issue.
Marshall may be the answer but we are slowly weeding out the draft duds. Holmes is gone, Pearce should go at season end and maybe Hickey or Longer. Assuming of course Marshall comes good

stonecold
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote:
realdeal wrote:I actually think the biggest issue is regardless of who you think should be playing 1st ruck, be it Longer , Hickey or bloody Michael Rix. No player has put the argument to rest and its now 3 years later and we're still having the same conversations..... surely thats the biggest issue.

Marshall may be the answer but we are slowly weeding out the draft duds. Holmes is gone, Pearce should go at season end and maybe Hickey or Longer. Assuming of course Marshall comes good
Hickledik is Cooked, like a second hand chook!!!!!

List Clogger, if he's name was Mav, lot of you self proclaimed experts have him GONE, move on, nothing to see here!!!!!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nailed it.

Our recruiting has been fairly shoddy at times. Lots of dead wood on our full squad sadly.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.