No Dunstan!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: No Dunstan!!

chook23 wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:
felix wrote:Weller ..Lonie ..Gilbert ..F*** who is our whipping boy now.
Long, how did he get a game ahead of Dunstan and the others?
I'm led to believe the coach and assistants have big plans for Benny Long.
but does benny long............

needs to really lift on last year efforts
They can plan whatever they want, but he might not be an AFL player. Even first year players show some glimpses.

1ac46a38
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Luke had a better preseason then Armo?

I’d have thought so. I guess Armo is ahead of him on seniority. He’d want to make sure he gets a few kicks.

elizabethr
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
skeptic wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t Luke had a better preseason then Armo?

I’d have thought so. I guess Armo is ahead of him on seniority. He’d want to make sure he gets a few kicks.
Are you questioning the integrity of the club's selection process?

nothing to say
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I’m sure they have their reasons. I’d have had Dunstan in on form, though, that is my opinion.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I’m sure they have their reasons. I’d have had Dunstan in on form, though, that is my opinion.
Dunstan should be ahead of K. Stevens IMO. 50/50 with Armitage and Steele.

Its a good problem to have though!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SuperDuper
Club Player

This idea of choosing a team by position played rather than your best players is fraught with danger..

Sure, you need a ruck and some key defenders etc... But creating a structure and then chosing players to fit it... can go to far

The best example was when Battle came in for Membrey and Long came in for Weller .. neither were ready for seniors and we payed the price by getting spanked...

IMO Dunstan remains significantly ahead of Long ... and there are ways to shuffle our side to cover the forward role..

stonecold
SS Life Member

SuperDuper wrote:This idea of choosing a team by position played rather than your best players is fraught with danger..

Sure, you need a ruck and some key defenders etc... But creating a structure and then chosing players to fit it... can go to far

The best example was when Battle came in for Membrey and Long came in for Weller .. neither were ready for seniors and we payed the price by getting spanked...

IMO Dunstan remains significantly ahead of Long ... and there are ways to shuffle our side to cover the forward role..
You are comparing Apples with Pears!!!!!
IMO, Of course!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
portosaint
Club Player

There will be plenty of opportunity. The general concensus on here is that our selectors aren't bold enough, lack dare, etc...

I'm more excited for Rd 1 now that I've seen the team. Sure, Long hasn't really earned a spot, but I'm excited about what he could potentially become with a bit of confidence. Of course, this could backfire haha!

We are always 'inside heavy' IMO.... Finally, Richo might agree. Someone had to miss out, and unfortunately it was Luke. But Ben is quick... Hunter is quick... For me its exciting!

DJ Higgins
Club Player

portosaint wrote:There will be plenty of opportunity. The general concensus on here is that our selectors aren't bold enough, lack dare, etc...

I'm more excited for Rd 1 now that I've seen the team. Sure, Long hasn't really earned a spot, but I'm excited about what he could potentially become with a bit of confidence. Of course, this could backfire haha!

We are always 'inside heavy' IMO.... Finally, Richo might agree. Someone had to miss out, and unfortunately it was Luke. But Ben is quick... Hunter is quick... For me its exciting!
Completely agree. People complain about not enough pace, myself included, and finally we have rested some slow guys for some fast young guys. Good on the selectors. Sure long will make mistakes tomorrow but give me quick small forward tackling machine over inside mid clone #3

BadRossco
Club Player

Would not worry about the apparent lack of a whipping boy, surely Ben & Koby will fill that role they haven't got much else to offer. Reflection on the ability of our selectors when any one of the emergency's would be a better bet than either of these two.

SuperDuper
Club Player

stonecold wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:This idea of choosing a team by position played rather than your best players is fraught with danger..

You are comparing Apples with Pears!!!!!
IMO, Of course!!!!!
agreed... just sayin I may prefer apples, but I'll take a good pear over a not so good apple

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I'm shocked at this - was everyone was questioning a team w Dunstan, Armitage, Stevens and Steele....

Koby Stevens deserves to be in the team so I wouldnt be knocking his selection...

So does Dunstan...

Didn't Dunstan captain one of the AFLX games w Ross the other?

Lots of pressure on Armo, Stevens and Steele to perform now...

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I would have preferred Marshall coming in as the 2nd ruck/forward.
Thought that worked so much better than Bruce going into the ruck. That hasn't worked for 2 seasons and will never work.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Bruce G McAbee wrote:I would have preferred Marshall coming in as the 2nd ruck/forward.
Thought that worked so much better than Bruce going into the ruck. That hasn't worked for 2 seasons and will never work.
Question: Does Grigg set up work at the premiers?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote:There will be plenty of opportunity. The general concensus on here is that our selectors aren't bold enough, lack dare, etc...

Agree, very true.
If they feel Ben has a role to play back him in and give him the opportunity.

I'd rather be bold and fail than conservative and fail.
Has not gone far enough IMO.
I'd like to see Brown and Webster out for Dunstan & Gilbert as they provide a lot more in run and carry and options.

I can't see why we need two tall backs, Walker is just an AFL player and Hipwood is not a contested marking player yet.
Hipwood will run Brown off his legs, its not a pretty match up.
Brown could play on Walker but that is his only match up.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote:
Bruce G McAbee wrote:I would have preferred Marshall coming in as the 2nd ruck/forward.
Question: Does Grigg set up work at the premiers?????
Indeed. And for some of the game last night it was Shai Bolton!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather see the younger Dunstan in for the older Stevens any day of the week. We need to support our younger guys so they can come through as a group rather than some so, so, top up player. The same goes for Brown if we actually had someone to come in for him!

I hear that Jack Steven was limping at training which would mean someone like Weller might still come in (as Dunstan is not named as an emergency).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Vazelos
Club Player

Its obvious guys, its a team balance thing...

Armitage has taken his place, that is the player most like Dunstan..... they are so similar and will probably rarely play together....

Dunstan looked so much better of late but he is unfortunately too similar to several players and mostly Armitage...

stkfc1
Club Player

All it means is Koby, Steele and Armo are one bad game away from being dropped. Pressure is on now, so they must perform to keep their spot.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the headscratcher is why isn't he an emergency? if armo, stevens, steven, ross, steele, acres, newnes go down - who replaces them?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:the headscratcher is why isn't he an emergency? if armo, stevens, steven, ross, steele, acres, newnes go down - who replaces them?
I guess this isn’t a Dunstan vs Long debate as many initial reactions indicated... my own included.

Looking at the list the discussion is Dunstan vs Armo.

Armo has seniority and a higher gear at his best... Luke has preseason form and the late last year form.

The selectors have made their call... I’d have backed Luke.

Let’s see it

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:All it means is Koby, Steele and Armo are one bad game away from being dropped. Pressure is on now, so they must perform to keep their spot.
This. Though Richo, in his presser, said it was between Dunstan, Steele and Acres.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Said that about Dunstan. Armo, Long etc about 200 posts ago.

Read farteysainter or the Pav. Your choice.
Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 23 Mar 2018 6:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shrodes
SS Life Member

he will line up in a practice game with Sandringham against Williamstown at Trevor Barker Oval.

"The reality is if anyone had have come out for him, it would have been a 23-year-old with 60-70 games experience. That's where we're at. You take out Blake (Acres) or you take out (Jack) Steely," Richardson said.

"David Armitage has come back and given us some bite through the middle.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-23/s ... n-omission

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:All it means is Koby, Steele and Armo are one bad game away from being dropped. Pressure is on now, so they must perform to keep their spot.
This. Though Richo, in his presser, said it was between Dunstan, Steele and Acres.
Who says?

Obviously we’re not ITK but I think it's concerning that Armo can come right back in after almost 12 months off. What does that say about Luke who hasn't missed any footy?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.