Roo's book. What did we think?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby elizabethr » Wed 17 Jan 2018 11:37pm

Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.
nothing to say
elizabethr
Club Player
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue 04 Oct 2011 10:58pm
Location: qld

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby minneapolis » Thu 18 Jan 2018 12:52pm

parkeysainter wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.


Good on Roo. He has married a top women and who cares if she is American or a Texan and Roo likes their culture over there. He is not an idiot and a club great. He is very happy in life after footy.

BTW, Yank chicks run rings around Aussie chicks. Just my opinion. :D


Yep. I married one.
I am committed to flexibility.
minneapolis
Club Player
 
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu 22 Apr 2004 5:35am
Location: Was:Peering thru the pollution in Peking. Now:Ice Fishing on the Mississippi again.

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Drake Huggins » Thu 18 Jan 2018 2:14pm

elizabethr wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.

As opposed to humourless and mean spirited.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Numpty » Thu 18 Jan 2018 10:31pm

elizabethr wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.

Elizabeth, you, unlike some, believe me, you are a true patriot, believe me! You are a champion for good ol' decent white christian flag waving hillbilly rednecks. These people are the greatest people, believe me. I love these people! And these people, they love me, believe me, because they think that I am their champion and that I will make them grate again(!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck hicks are my constituency. #rednecksuckersalreadyaregrate
Numpty
 

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby parkeysainter » Thu 18 Jan 2018 10:37pm

Numpty wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.

Elizabeth, you, unlike some, believe me, you are a true patriot, believe me! You are a champion for good ol' decent white christian flag waving hillbilly rednecks. These people are the greatest people, believe me. I love these people! And these people, they love me, believe me, because they think that I am their champion and that I will make them grate again(!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck hicks are my constituency. #rednecksuckersalreadyaregrate


You're not funny anymore. You actually never were. Please stop spamming and ruining these threads with all this Trump crap. The footy season is nearly upon us admins please.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby samuraisaint » Thu 18 Jan 2018 11:46pm

Loved it. Got a signed edition for a Christmas present from a work colleague. Read it over the holidays and re-read some of the stuff I found particularly interesting, especially the Tassie chapter, and the period when he played under Grant Thomas.
I still believe that Thomas should never have been sacked and that that whole episode should never have been allowed to unfold the way that it did. The decision to go with Lyon has been vindicated, but even the way the highly successful Lyon was able to just leave the club was poor if you take on board what Roo says in his book.
Do you like Dixieland? I live for this music man.
User avatar
samuraisaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 2667
Joined: Sun 25 Sep 2011 3:23pm
Location: Outside Uncle Vic's at 2 in the morning.

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby elizabethr » Sat 20 Jan 2018 12:28am

Your opinion is just that...
American or Philipinoo. ..very similar
Struggling to identify with Aussie Girls
nothing to say
elizabethr
Club Player
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue 04 Oct 2011 10:58pm
Location: qld

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby saynta » Sat 20 Jan 2018 10:03am

elizabethr wrote:Your opinion is just that...
American or Philipinoo. ..very similar
Struggling to identify with Aussie Girls



Phillipinoo????. WTF is that child.

Do you mean Filipino?
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5158
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby asiu » Sat 20 Jan 2018 10:38am

tabletennis ball poppers ?
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby asiu » Sat 20 Jan 2018 10:39am

or is that the wrong country
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby saintspremiers » Sat 20 Jan 2018 10:33pm

elizabethr wrote:Your opinion is just that...
American or Philipinoo. ..very similar
Struggling to identify with Aussie Girls


So what?

There are only a few fish in the Aussie sea for him, plenty offshore.
i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 23519
Joined: Tue 01 Feb 2005 4:25pm
Location: Trump Tower

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Numpty » Sun 21 Jan 2018 11:44am

parkeysainter wrote:
Numpty wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.

Elizabeth, you, unlike some, believe me, you are a true patriot, believe me! You are a champion for good ol' decent white christian flag waving hillbilly rednecks. These people are the greatest people, believe me. I love these people! And these people, they love me, believe me, because they think that I am their champion and that I will make them grate again(!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck hicks are my constituency. #rednecksuckersalreadyaregrate


You're not funny anymore. You actually never were. Please stop spamming and ruining these threads with all this Trump crap. The footy season is nearly upon us admins please.


Park Avenue Sainter, and believe me, I keep saying this, I do, like your President Tumble, you are worse than me! And I admire that, believe me. There is no PC-crap being allowed to get in the way of your patriotism. Ever! Believe me! Please consider my offer and come and work with me - just like Thimble does. Together we will drain the swamp and built magnificent walls, believe me. I need a no PC-crap true patriot with long and beautiful fingers, like you Park Avenue Sainter, to handle all this fake news. Just look at this one! Can you believe it? Fake news!!! Especailly those 1990 and 1995 'stories'!
I intend to sue of over them, believe me! :evil: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/every-moment-donald-trumps-long-complicated-history-race The job is clearly beyond the capabilities of Sarah Chuckawobbly-Sanders, believe me. But in fairness, to be fair, that's understandable as she is a woman. #makingignoringpccrapgrateagain
Numpty
 

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby parkeysainter » Sun 21 Jan 2018 1:19pm

Numpty wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
Numpty wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.

Elizabeth, you, unlike some, believe me, you are a true patriot, believe me! You are a champion for good ol' decent white christian flag waving hillbilly rednecks. These people are the greatest people, believe me. I love these people! And these people, they love me, believe me, because they think that I am their champion and that I will make them grate again(!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck hicks are my constituency. #rednecksuckersalreadyaregrate


You're not funny anymore. You actually never were. Please stop spamming and ruining these threads with all this Trump crap. The footy season is nearly upon us admins please.


Park Avenue Sainter, and believe me, I keep saying this, I do, like your President Tumble, you are worse than me! And I admire that, believe me. There is no PC-crap being allowed to get in the way of your patriotism. Ever! Believe me! Please consider my offer and come and work with me - just like Thimble does. Together we will drain the swamp and built magnificent walls, believe me. I need a no PC-crap true patriot with long and beautiful fingers, like you Park Avenue Sainter, to handle all this fake news. Just look at this one! Can you believe it? Fake news!!! Especailly those 1990 and 1995 'stories'!
I intend to sue of over them, believe me! :evil: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/every-moment-donald-trumps-long-complicated-history-race The job is clearly beyond the capabilities of Sarah Chuckawobbly-Sanders, believe me. But in fairness, to be fair, that's understandable as she is a woman. #makingignoringpccrapgrateagain


God you're a d**khead mate. Get a life.
Bring back Phil Narkle's helmet into fashion
User avatar
parkeysainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu 20 Jul 2017 2:59am

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Trev from the Bush » Sun 21 Jan 2018 2:13pm

Received the book as a birthday present a few weeks back and resisted reading it until last week when away on holidays. Read it cover to cover (best ignore the comments of some of the cherry pickers on here) and thought it very good. As footballers' books go, it was very good as Nick knew anybody reading it would know enough about football. The interest for the reader is in gaining the insight as to an ordinary young kid followed his path to the AFL. Obvious from the book was the support of family and friends along the way to complement his natural talent and extreme determination.

There are several little gems in the book that I have highlighted to my own kid as she works her way through her own minefield of life.

After finishing the book, my wife (who has never been a reader) read the entire book in a couple of days and couldn't put it down. That is a rock solid recommendation for mine.

And I agree with others. Numpty, if nothing else, is well named. And annoying. Perhaps Sidchrome would be a better name - very kind of tool known to man!
Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
Club Player
 
Posts: 939
Joined: Fri 23 Sep 2011 4:24pm
Location: Australia

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Drake Huggins » Sun 21 Jan 2018 4:56pm

Numpty's posts have been sent for analysis by the State Forensic Science Laboratory. All tests for humour, wit, coherence and intelligence have returned a negative result. Not a trace of the aforementioned qualities were detected. A report for the Coroner is being prepared in advance, as Numpty's has died on numerous occasions after posting.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Numpty » Tue 23 Jan 2018 9:34pm

parkeysainter wrote:
Numpty wrote:
parkeysainter wrote:
Numpty wrote:
elizabethr wrote:
Drake Huggins wrote:The term, "good ol' Texas southern boy waving a confederate flag", is a pejorative term used as a dog whistle by liberals to indicate the person so described is a racist, hillbilly type. Nice try, elizabthr, but you slandered one of the greatest ever played of our club. What galls is you back away when challenged. You do have a rather extensive record of criticising our players. Some have even suggested you're a troll. Heaven forbid! It takes the common sense of right wing ptotagonists to recognise a slur when it is slung.

Verbose and humorless.
Each to their own opinion.

Elizabeth, you, unlike some, believe me, you are a true patriot, believe me! You are a champion for good ol' decent white christian flag waving hillbilly rednecks. These people are the greatest people, believe me. I love these people! And these people, they love me, believe me, because they think that I am their champion and that I will make them grate again(!) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Redneck hicks are my constituency. #rednecksuckersalreadyaregrate


You're not funny anymore. You actually never were. Please stop spamming and ruining these threads with all this Trump crap. The footy season is nearly upon us admins please.


Park Avenue Sainter, and believe me, I keep saying this, I do, like your President Tumble, you are worse than me! And I admire that, believe me. There is no PC-crap being allowed to get in the way of your patriotism. Ever! Believe me! Please consider my offer and come and work with me - just like Thimble does. Together we will drain the swamp and built magnificent walls, believe me. I need a no PC-crap true patriot with long and beautiful fingers, like you Park Avenue Sainter, to handle all this fake news. Just look at this one! Can you believe it? Fake news!!! Especailly those 1990 and 1995 'stories'!
I intend to sue of over them, believe me! :evil: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/every-moment-donald-trumps-long-complicated-history-race The job is clearly beyond the capabilities of Sarah Chuckawobbly-Sanders, believe me. But in fairness, to be fair, that's understandable as she is a woman. #makingignoringpccrapgrateagain


God you're a d**khead mate. Get a life.

You are sticking to your no-PC crap guns Park Avenue Sainter. I admire that. And I admire guns, believe me. You are a hard negotiator too, believe me. You are harder than those Israelis. And certainly harder than my very very good friend Bibi. Believe me, no one knows how hard Bibi isn't like I do! So I'll make you a new offer, one that lets you stay at home in Austria. I really like your idea about making some money by setting up the St Kilda Casino and Brothel. And Jerusalem Oval is just the place, believe me. I'm thinking of investing in this enterprise, because no one knows casinos and brothels like I do, believe me. And I'd like you to run it for me, Park Avenue Sainter. Shouldn't be too much work either. My very good friend Vladimir, he's from Russian, he says he can supplies the girls and all the Kalashnikovs we need. I'd run it myself, but to get there I might have to fly over too many shithole countries like Seaford, believe me. I'm sure you understand. #makingtheStKildaCasinoandBrothelhardagain
Numpty
 

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Drake Huggins » Tue 23 Jan 2018 10:13pm

Just as well I had my sides stitched before reading that last post, lest I burst them.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Numpty » Tue 23 Jan 2018 10:21pm

Drake Huggins wrote:Numpty's posts have been sent for analysis by the State Forensic Science Laboratory. All tests for humour, wit, coherence and intelligence have returned a negative result. Not a trace of the aforementioned qualities were detected. A report for the Coroner is being prepared in advance, as Numpty's has died on numerous occasions after posting.

Fake news Mr Huggins! I remain a very stable and cognitive genius.

Image

And just like my long and beautiful fingers, and other parts, believe me, I am very popular. Very popular, believe me! A recent poll found my approval rating to be at 33%! Can you believe that??? That means that the remaining 77% of the people must think that I'm doing a wonderful job! Maybe I should run for President, or something, believe me. Someone even wrote a song...........

I walked into the White House
Like I was walking onto a yacht
My wig strategically slipped below one eye
My skin, it was apricot
I have both eyes on the tv
I watch myself nonstop
And all the girls dreamed that I'd be impeached
I'd be impeached...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUBBnpXW0AAfUi8.jpg

#makingeverythinggrateagain
Numpty
 

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby asiu » Tue 23 Jan 2018 10:50pm

i did laugh at the triangle with eyes
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Drake Huggins » Tue 23 Jan 2018 10:57pm

laugh? I never thought I'd start!
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby asiu » Tue 23 Jan 2018 11:34pm

predetermination of outcome ?

if the dalai lama can laugh at his future reincarnated self already having been chosen
by those wise Chinese ,
i can laugh along too

so i do
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Drake Huggins » Wed 24 Jan 2018 1:54am

Whatever floats your boat. I choose to laugh at the genuinely funny and clever. IMHO and that of several others here, Numpty's posts are neither.
"Is this the right room for an argument?"
"I told you once."
"No, you didn't."
"Yes, I did."
"Listen, an argument isn't just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says, it's a series of statements designed to support a particular conclusion."
"No, it isn't."
"Oh, I've had enough of this."
"No you haven't"
"Oh shut up."
User avatar
Drake Huggins
Club Player
 
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed 04 Oct 2017 4:28pm
Location: The G.G. Huggins Stand

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby asiu » Wed 24 Jan 2018 6:41am

Numpty would be over the balcony at my place
after the first hour
but
as you say

whatever floats your boat

so
whatever floats his her gt's boat

its a bit karmic ay
... run Plugger out of town ... get Numpty


hmmmmmmmm

only on SS !!!
Image
.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.
asiu
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Thu 08 Apr 2010 8:11pm

Re: Roo's book. What did we think?

Postby Bernard Shakey » Wed 24 Jan 2018 3:09pm

Not a bad read. I did notice one thing that was grossly inaccurate.

"At the start of 2002 ...... I'd played on Wayne Carey in a practice game at Moorabbin and done pretty well. It was actually the last game he played for North Melbourne before he left the club."

Yes it was Carey's last game for North and he tore the game apart. I don't remember Nick playing on The King, but if he did, he got thrashed!
Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
User avatar
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 10791
Joined: Sun 18 Mar 2007 11:22pm
Location: Down By The River 1989, 2003, 2009 & 2013

Previous

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: agent86, dragit, saynta, Spinner and 29 guests